C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Bilstein b8 + eibach or BC Racing BR Coilovers

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-09-2014, 04:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c32, c200k
Bilstein b8 + eibach or BC Racing BR Coilovers

Ok so week three of ownership on the C32, and the front left shock absorber is busted. So take it into the suspension shop. Turns out also need new bushings for a bunch of other stuff (I knew that was coming because suspension feels loose over bumps and sharp braking).

So I have two options ... remember I live in Australia so prices are gonna seem like a complete rip off to US folk.

Suspension shop is recommending Bilstein B8s all round + eibach lowering springs (I do want it about 4cms lower) @ $1600 + fitting

My other option is BC coilovers (BR) @ $1299 + fitting

I've read good things about both setups being better than stock but in some cases ppl are saying that the coilovers can actually give a more comfortable ride than the b8s+eibach... I can't believe that a coilover could be more comfortable!

Anyone got a direct comparison between the two?

I do like being able to adjust the height to the exact right spot = coilover
I'll probably never change the dampening or height once set = spring/shock
I do very very limited track work ... less than once a year = spring/shock
I don't want a bone shattering ride ... don't mind stiffer but I want to maintain some compliance to factory = not sure anymore based on what I've read
I'd rather spend less than more = coilover strangely enough

That's two points for coilover and two points for spring/shock. The conundrum is the ride comfort. Recommendations anyone?
Old 05-09-2014, 07:15 AM

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts
C32x2 RIP, 2005 C55, 2020 GLB 250, 2014 E550
I recently had h&r coilovers installed and enjoyed them for a while but surprisingly I miss the way the stock suspension felt, I kinda even miss the body roll. The coilovers are great when tackling back roads with a bunch of bends. They are fun when going fast but not so much fun when just cruising. I am very tempted to remove the coilovers and install the bilstein B4's with the stock springs. If anybody is interested in a set of h&r coilovers with 2500 miles on them, let me know lol. I've read where some people thought the B8's were too harsh for them but they weren't driving a merc. If ride height is your main concern, then I would opt out for the B8's with a set of eibach springs.
Old 05-09-2014, 08:40 AM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
a car.
I run Bilstein PSS9's on my C32 and second to the LSD it's the best investment I made. If you can find them and they're in our budget I would suggest going that way.
Old 05-09-2014, 09:05 AM

c32, c200k
Unfortunately the PSS9s are out of budget. I'll mainly be stuck in traffic for 80% of the time, cruising 15% and having fun 5% ... which is the ONLY reason reason I'm thinking twice about coilovers, I have a set in my Subaru and it's great for track and twisty country roads, drive through Melbourne and over tram tracks for 30 minutes and you need a massage afterwards.

BenzAddict, are you saying the the b4s will fit stock springs i.e. OEM feel? The suspension place I went to said bilstein recommended the b8's as closet to EOM which is why they're on this list. I wouldn't mind a firmer ride (drove a c55 and much preferred that over the c32 suspension) but I wouldn't want to end up missing the stock suspension lol.
Old 05-09-2014, 11:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
eclectic assortment of cars
I say go with the Bilsteins and Eibachs. The provenance with proven German brands is better than the relative unknowns of Taiwanese made products, in my opinion.
Old 05-10-2014, 07:26 AM

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts
C32x2 RIP, 2005 C55, 2020 GLB 250, 2014 E550
The B4's are the oem replacement for our cars. I'm not too sure what the availability is overseas but on tirerack.com the B4's are much cheaper than the B8's. I contemplated trying the B8's with the stock springs but what I've read is that the B8's might top out with the taller stock springs but again that was in a slk board. I think the B8's were made for lowering springs. If you prefer the c55 suspension over the c32 you might be alright with B8's and the eibachs.

Last edited by Benzaddict32; 05-10-2014 at 07:32 AM.
Old 05-10-2014, 10:19 AM

c32, c200k
Thanks mate that confirms what I was thinking... I asked for an OEM replacement and was thinking b4s which are half the price here to the b8s but apparently bilstein Australia said b8s were the OEM replacement. Like you from what I've read the b8s are likely to bottom out on stock springs.

I might just ask them to chuck b4s in if it's going to be significantly cheaper. Otherwise I'll go the b8s I think.
Old 05-27-2014, 06:17 AM

c32, c200k
Ok just replied to a pm and realised I've been an **** and not posted my results ... Oops.

Anyway I ended up going the b8s and eibach. Having driven a c55 before I'd say this is a good way to get that tighter feel and lower look the c55 has. I've come out of a track ready Subaru with coils and uprated mounts and poly bushes... So to me this setup still feels quite soft. I cannot fathom how some peeps are saying the b8s are too stiff. I do like how I don't need to get a full body massage after driving to work in the morning, in my suby I need to visit a chiro to get my back straightened every time I drive it in the city! Great on a windy country road though!

Bottom line... Ride quality still feels like a Benz... But looks better than stock with a little more control and less body roll, but not a 'performance' level ride. Perfect for street... Not so much for track.