C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Is it worth it?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-22-2014, 08:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 C32 AMG
Is it worth it?

Hi there, I have a question for you guys. I have a 2002 C32 AMG. I bought it for 10K and it was a pretty sweet ride all until a mechanic (and im not getting into the legals of it) put a small amount of rock and dirt into the oil filter housing. Shes knocking pretty hard and although I am sueing this f*cker I want to cheaply as possible either fix the engine or should I not even bother and sell the parts off of it. Think the engine is salvageable with a rebuild or would buying a used engine be a better and cheaper choice? If I decide to part her out, think you guys would see a need for parts and maybe make some of my money back? Thanks for you answers and feedback and I a mechanically inclined person so engine rebuild for me wouldnt be a big issue. Also, whats the path that debris would be taking, into the heads or into the engine?

Last edited by newfietuner; 06-22-2014 at 08:33 PM.
Old 06-23-2014, 12:19 AM
tw2
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 284 Likes on 233 Posts
2005 E55 AMG, 1991 MR2
How/why did they put dirt into the housing? You need to strip it down to determine what has actually happened.

Oil goes everywhere so if there was debris in the housing after the filtration then it could potentially score all the bearings, crank and camshafts ie new engine. From a pure fixing point of view, if that had happened a second hand engine would be ideal. Must be a few crashed C32's around. Otherwise my preference is always to rebuild *if* possible since you know what you are getting, second hand - who knows.
Old 08-02-2014, 03:59 PM

2002 C32 AMG
Im a technician working in the oil patch in Northern Alberta / BC, Canada, I gave my C32 to this mechanic shop O/O to fix things he said he would take care of and he tried ripping me off so I got in a ruckus with him, he kept my keys, I had to leave and get the cops involved and when I went back my engine sounded like a 2 cylinder diesel :-(. Court didnt work out well cause a car can "break down" anytime and my lawyer lost the fracking cup of sand and gravel that was taken out during an oil change.

Thats it in a nutshell. I ended up buying a used engine with 70k on it and will install it when I get on days off. Is it easier to haul the engine through the top on these models or through the bottom? And is there a place where I can get an engine rebuild kit so I can take the scorn engine, rebuild it and perhaps crank some juice out of it? Im also interested in knowing if the cylinders are sleeved or integral. Thanks for your help.
Old 08-04-2014, 01:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
1999 E320 4matic Wagon, 2005 C55 AMG - sold, 1998 VW Jetta TDI - sold, 2006 C230 Sport - Totaled :(
Dude, this sounds like a mess, sorry to hear about all that!

If I were you, I'd go ahead and take the time to get some aftermarket cams and a few other things to power up the engine since it's already out of the engine bay before you put it back in.
Old 08-04-2014, 02:04 PM

2002 C32 AMG
I dont have the engine out yet, im still working away from home for another week and im trying to get everything lined up for when I get back. I was hoping for insight as to take the engine from the top or bottom, does anyone know the fastest/easiest way? Im not familiar with the Mercedes engine removal tactics whether its easier from the bottom or top, I would like to get some feedback on that subject. As well if I could get feedback on knowing if the cylinders are sleeved as well and as to find a place for engine rebuild kits that would be helpful, ive looked but couldnt find anything.
Old 08-04-2014, 02:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 C320
As for pulling the engine, through the top would be easiest or take the front off and pull it out that way. Can't help with the other parts.