C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

HELP! C32 or C55 or E500

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-09-2003, 09:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HELP! C32 or C55 or E500

Hey guys,

This is my first post but been lurking for awhile now. Anyways, I'm looking for a new car within the next two months. I like the C32 but the C55 is coming out next year so I don't know what to do. I also like the E500 which is also in the same price range. I know the two cars are totally different but I like them both. Size doesn't really matter for me. Both produce a good amount of HP that I don't mind but the C32 produces a lot more and it's lighter in weight. Like I say earlier, I like them both but I can only have one.

The only concern is reliability issue. I'm planning on keeping this car for awhile so your input will be appreciated. I know the C55 isn't out yet so we can't compare it to the current c32. Is it true that AMG car has less issue then non AMG benz?

By the way, my current vehicle is a Lexus GS300 that is heavily modded. I've arleady racked up around $20K into it. There's nothing else I can do to it so I'm basically bored of the car. By the way, my car haven't given me any problem so far. Please no Lexus bashing....hehe

thanks
Old 12-09-2003, 10:12 PM

2002 Mercedes C32
I was in a similar situation.....

Kenshin,

Back in August I was looking at the E500 and really thought this was the car for me. As I was test driving the 'E' the saleman and I starting talking about driving habits, needs, etc. He said, "Before you decide on the 'E', try the C32". I of course was not going to turn down such an offer. We went on the test drive and the difference between the two cars is night and day. The 'E' is smooth and soft, easy to drive, not engaging (the magazines have this right!) The C32, was very refined and comforatable, until.....you punch it. The S/C whirls up and you are released from the slingshot. Except for the resale value and a minor difference in space, the C32 really fit my bill.

But then, a funny thing happened on the way to buying a new car. I starting researching resale values, every car is being hammered right now. It does not seem to matter the make, model or even rarity (even E55's are ONLY at sticker). Given this, I searched the used market and found a great example of a 2002 C32, got it last night, $36.5K, thats about $18K less than sticker. I can find a lot of uses for the extra $18K.

Hope this helps.
Old 12-09-2003, 11:14 PM

xx
I drove a 98 GS400 until 3 weeks ago. My brother bought an 03 E500 about 6 months ago. I drove the car once and hated the light steering and weird brake feel. The GS400 feels so much better. Now I have a C32 and can blow E500s off the road. The C32 is way may sportier feeling and responsive than either the GS300 / 400 and esp. the E500. Give it a shot. Buy a barely used starmark certified car from a MB dealer and get the 100K mile warranty and you'll be set.

Kevin
Old 12-10-2003, 03:26 AM

C32 AMG
C32 - and get the ODPS Stage II, wheels, exhaust, and suspension. C55 will not be nearly as mod-able, and probably worse handling (extra weight in the front).

Or get a MONSTERTRUCK. I seriously don't understand why everyone doesn't have a monstertruck. I would give up my C32 in a second over my 1200HP monstertruck. C32s come and go, but monstertrucks are forever.
Old 12-10-2003, 03:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The True OG Modded out W203
Re: HELP! C32 or C55 or E500

Originally posted by KENSHIN
Hey guys,

This is my first post but been lurking for awhile now. Anyways, I'm looking for a new car within the next two months. I like the C32 but the C55 is coming out next year so I don't know what to do. I also like the E500 which is also in the same price range. I know the two cars are totally different but I like them both. Size doesn't really matter for me. Both produce a good amount of HP that I don't mind but the C32 produces a lot more and it's lighter in weight. Like I say earlier, I like them both but I can only have one.

The only concern is reliability issue. I'm planning on keeping this car for awhile so your input will be appreciated. I know the C55 isn't out yet so we can't compare it to the current c32. Is it true that AMG car has less issue then non AMG benz?

By the way, my current vehicle is a Lexus GS300 that is heavily modded. I've arleady racked up around $20K into it. There's nothing else I can do to it so I'm basically bored of the car. By the way, my car haven't given me any problem so far. Please no Lexus bashing....hehe

thanks

I think you should get the C32 if you do not have a family. Their is just something about having an AMG Benz and w/the power and upgradability, u cant beat that. But if you do get the E500 for the extra room and 'pimp' factor. How does your GS look like btw?
Old 12-10-2003, 06:31 AM

03 silver C32 AMG
Originally posted by 99ITR_SC
C32 - and get the ODPS Stage II, wheels, exhaust, and suspension. C55 will not be nearly as mod-able, and probably worse handling (extra weight in the front).

Or get a MONSTERTRUCK. I seriously don't understand why everyone doesn't have a monstertruck. I would give up my C32 in a second over my 1200HP monstertruck. C32s come and go, but monstertrucks are forever.
actually, the C55 may not be that much heavier than the C32 if at all.

By replacing the V6 kompressor wit the 5.4L N/A AMG (the 55 AMG is a 5.4 if u didnt no...) they substitute weight rather than add weight. By using a N/A engine, they take away the weight of the supercharger and intercooler and related pipes.

the B5 Audi S4's 2.7 liter twin turbo engine is the same weight as the 2004 B6 Audi S4's N/A V8.

but i do agree that it probably will not be nearly as easy to mod as the C32 has been
Old 12-10-2003, 06:36 AM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
Now looking back...E500 would be my choice.............NOT. The C32 is a great choice if you don't have a family and occationally haul your friends around.

anywayz, I do like a lot of the Japanese brand cars. Just that when it comes to the solid feel of driving a safe car, it has to be German. It has nothing to do with the reliability and such. German or British just have the feel of solidness that the Japanese don't have. When riding in my friend's 03 Passat, it feels safer than riding in my other friend's 01 GS300.
Old 12-10-2003, 08:11 PM

Thanks for all the replies guys. I think I'll have to test drive both of them and see which one is going to do it for me. This is one hard decision but in the end I'll be happy my mercedes no matter what model I choose.
Old 12-10-2003, 09:01 PM

2008 Rav4, 1997 Lexus ES300
I too have very little posts under my belt, and i also am VERY interested in purchasing a C32. A couple f things i must ask.
First TugBoat, where did you find your 02' C32 at and how many miles did/does it have when you bought it? I have found an 02' with 5,5XX miles for $44,900. Also an 03' with 2,9XX miles for $45,900.
Second, there has been mention to not getting the C32 if your without family. For now, it is just my wife and I, but the situation could be different in a few years. Should i still consider the C32?
Thanks for all of ya'lls help. I like this site alot by the way! Very informative!
Old 12-10-2003, 09:48 PM

67 Demon -

I am in Austin, TX and looked for a while for a good deal on a C32. The best I could find here was $45K for an 02 with no options with 5K miles. I ended up buying an 03 with 3K miles 6 weeks ago with similar options for $44K but had to got 200 miles to get it.

I have a family and find the back seat just fine for not only them, but business associates too. Most folks admire the room I have for such a small car. I think you'll really like it if you buy one.

BTW, our other cars include an LS400 and a 600rwhp Mustang Cobra. I have a choice as to which car I drive and choose the C32 almost always.

Chris
Old 12-10-2003, 10:43 PM

2008 Rav4, 1997 Lexus ES300
Hey ChrisM, thanks for your response. I feel better about my pursuits for the C32. Other members had me a little worried there for a second. Was about to panick if i had to go looking for another vehicle. BTW, i am in San Antonio. The C32 prices you mentioned are roughly the same range that i am finding them now. I am ready to pull the trigger on a purchase, but a dealer in Houston hasn't reponded back to my inquiry. We'll see i guess. Thanks again.
Old 12-11-2003, 01:12 PM

2002 Mercedes C32
67 Demon,

I got my car from Len Critcher at eCarLink in DFW. He is an Internet only dealer, check out his site and read the article Forbes did about him...very nice...and also one of the things that convinced me to purchase from him. My car is a 2002, 1st delivered in 1/02, its black on black, sunroof and cd changer. It has 35K miles on it and I paid $36.5K. (If you think that is a lot of miles, my wife has put 25K miles on her '03 Navigator in 12 months) I had the car inspected prior to purchase and everything checked out good. The interior and exterior are fantastic, you can tell someone took very good care of this car.

And as for the family question floating out there. We are a family of 3, I'm actually playing Mr. Mom this week and have to transport my daughter to and from school. The backseat room is a little tight, but at 5'11" 250lbs., most backseats are tight. But, for my daughter, she's 3 and everything seems big to her. Whats really funny is that the previous owner obvisously used a babyseat in the back center...the LATCH bracket has the telltale scratches from the safety hook and the seat has small indentations. I think there's irony in there somewhere.

Hope this helps.
Old 12-11-2003, 06:37 PM

C32
Re: HELP! C32 or C55 or E500

Originally posted by KENSHIN
Hey guys,

thanks
From my experience with a recently purchased O4 C32 and a friend's experience of his 03 E320, here's what I can tell you:

1) Reliability - coming from Lexus you should expect a degradation here. If you look at previous posters on this forum and in the new E class forums there has been quite an extensive list of problems. The most famous issue with the E500 was faulty motor mounts and transmission failure. The E320 fared better, and in my friend's car, there has only been a false alarm with Tele-Aid. I expect MB to work out most bugs in the 04 models and judging from the posts on the E class forum, it seems to look promising.

2) Build quality - C32 vs E class: In my C32, there have been rattles in about 3 places - passenger seat, center console, and sometimes, left dash area. The E fared a lot better - no rattles yet. Both cars have some questionable parts in the interior, but the E is definitely more luxurious and more plush.

3) Performance - drove an E500 at a MB event in the SF Bay Area and I can tell you that the C32 will outhandle and outperform its bigger brother. The E500 is no slouch, but it has lighter steering and the sensotronic brake can take some time getting used to. The only advantage I see here is the airmatic suspension which allows you to toggle 3 different settings in the E, but if you are always going to leave in in the hardest setting it is a moot point.

4) Depreciation - not completely sure since both models are relatively new. You may find some good numbers here from what others have paid for 02 or 03, used C32's.

If you include similar options in both cars, i.e. command + cd changer, you should look at a difference of about 5-6K.

Hope this helps.
Old 12-21-2003, 05:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C320 Coupe
Unless you need the room, get the C55. You see people complaining, but many of us have very reliable cars. It's like any other make, some have problems and some don't.