C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Correct Power Steering Fluid

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-07-2014, 05:04 AM

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
C 32 AMG & FG2 Civic Si
Correct Power Steering Fluid

Hi all, a while ago my power steering became noisy so I went to the MB dealership and picked up some power steering fluid. The parts rep at the front took some time looking up the part on the computer and then went to the back and came out with two bottles. One was #BQ 1 46 0001 and the other was #BQ 1 32 0001 (which is actually Pentosin CHF11S). He said he had to look it up because he wasn't sure which one was the correct one for my 2002 C32 and after a minute, he handed me the one in the plastic, grey bottle, #BQ 1 46 0001.

So I topped it off later that night and the noise went away and the steering felt a bit better too. But after looking online recently, I've seen a few threads about the discrepancies based on which is the correct steering fluid. Some say that MB techs argue that the Pentosin fluid is only for cars with ABC (active body control) since it shares that fluid with the power steering. Here's a link to that thread: http://www.benzworld.org/forums/c219...ype-power.html

However, I found a "star bulletin" #P-B-46.00/44 from 2006 that all model 203 vehicles must now use the Pentosin fluid.

I realize this is a pretty finicky, detailed thread but I'm really curious as to why MB gave me fluid that contradicts its own bulletin. And if so, could I have mixed two different fluids and could that damage anything?

Anyone is welcome to chime in if they have any experience or thoughts about this. I want my C32 to keep running like its only a couple of years old, as I'm sure many of you do!

Thanks in advance!
Attached Thumbnails Correct Power Steering Fluid-power-steering.png  
Old 07-07-2014, 10:08 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2012 SLS AMG
Originally Posted by ez53436
Hi all, a while ago my power steering became noisy so I went to the MB dealership and picked up some power steering fluid. The parts rep at the front took some time looking up the part on the computer and then went to the back and came out with two bottles. One was #BQ 1 46 0001 and the other was #BQ 1 32 0001 (which is actually Pentosin CHF11S). He said he had to look it up because he wasn't sure which one was the correct one for my 2002 C32 and after a minute, he handed me the one in the plastic, grey bottle, #BQ 1 46 0001.

So I topped it off later that night and the noise went away and the steering felt a bit better too. But after looking online recently, I've seen a few threads about the discrepancies based on which is the correct steering fluid. Some say that MB techs argue that the Pentosin fluid is only for cars with ABC (active body control) since it shares that fluid with the power steering. Here's a link to that thread: http://www.benzworld.org/forums/c219...ype-power.html

However, I found a "star bulletin" #P-B-46.00/44 from 2006 that all model 203 vehicles must now use the Pentosin fluid.

I realize this is a pretty finicky, detailed thread but I'm really curious as to why MB gave me fluid that contradicts its own bulletin. And if so, could I have mixed two different fluids and could that damage anything?

Anyone is welcome to chime in if they have any experience or thoughts about this. I want my C32 to keep running like its only a couple of years old, as I'm sure many of you do!

Thanks in advance!
ez53436,

As the bulletin from Mercedes-Benz points out, your car is to use the Pentosin CHF 11S (MB Part Number Q1320001).

Since the other power steering fluid has been mixed into the system, the best course of action is going to be to flush the system and re-fill it with the correct fluid.

We have the fluid available on our website. You can get to it by clicking HERE, or by clicking on the photos of the fluid below.

If you have any more questions or need any other info, please feel free to post or send a PM!
Old 07-07-2014, 09:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
06 C55, 09 E350
Q-1-32-0001 is correct and I would flush it like he said, we had to pay for a customers steering rack when it failed because of the same error by a counterman. Unfortunately the guys up front are usually the least trained. I will attach a sheet that can help you see what you need. Maybe you can give it to him too. It's pretty basic stuff he should have available to him.
Attached Files
Old 07-21-2014, 02:06 PM

C 32 AMG & FG2 Civic Si
alright guys, i went to the dealership to figure this out once and for all. in the "factory approved service products" the pentosin is listed as the correct fluid. in the star bulletin, pentosin is also listed as the correct fluid.

when i showed the parts guy at my dealership these pieces of information, he looked it up in his booklet and it showed pentosin again. but then he went to talk to somebody in the back to ask about it and he came out with two pieces of paper that he printed from the mb service manual or something.

i'm attaching it so you all can see, but what it shows is that when he looks up the C32 specifically, not a non-AMG, the fluid listed is the MB fluid. yes, i realize that the part number on the sheet he gave me doesn't match either of the previous two part numbers, but i asked him to show me that this number was in fact the MB fluid and he went on his computer while i watched and he typed in the old part number from the sheet he printed and it redirected, or superceded, to the 1 46 0001 MB fluid, not the Pentosin fluid.

He argued that the C32 is probably the only W203 that is an exception to the Pentosin fluid. I just hope he wasn't BSing me.

What do you guys think? What's weird is that I'm pretty sure the steering racks for any W203 are the same, aren't they? I don't understand why they would need different fluids.

All opinions and observations are welcome!
Attached Thumbnails Correct Power Steering Fluid-img.jpg   Correct Power Steering Fluid-img_0001.jpg  
Old 07-21-2014, 10:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts
Current: C217 V12TT AMG Previously: C55 AMG, SL65 AMG
I topped off my C55 with CHF11S a few years ago. Didn't know there may have been "other" fluid there. Car is still steering just fine
Old 07-22-2014, 02:32 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
C63 E63
I think you will be ok with a slight mixture, if it's even mixed
Old 07-24-2014, 09:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
06 C55, 09 E350
That tool he is using looks like the customer assistance center knowledge base and is thrown together to help people at the call center and it's not listed for offical use like startekinfo is nationwide. I doubt it's been updated since 2001 and is incorrect. The most current info would be in startekinfo/WIS which will show the Q-1-32-0001 They way I learned is any car that entered production after 2000 minus M,GL,R class use synthetic. I really doubt MB would have the performance version of that car use the old product. Why don't as in the AMG private lounge and get something official from the experts.

Last edited by JonMBZ; 07-24-2014 at 09:18 PM.

Trending Topics

Old 07-25-2014, 07:15 PM

C 32 AMG & FG2 Civic Si
Ok thanks for the input guys. I just posted on the AMG PL so we'll see what they say.
Old 09-29-2014, 09:25 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 E320 CDI
Originally Posted by ECSTuning
ez53436,

As the bulletin from Mercedes-Benz points out, your car is to use the Pentosin CHF 11S (MB Part Number Q1320001).

Since the other power steering fluid has been mixed into the system, the best course of action is going to be to flush the system and re-fill it with the correct fluid.

We have the fluid available on our website. You can get to it by clicking HERE, or by clicking on the photos of the fluid below.

If you have any more questions or need any other info, please feel free to post or send a PM!
I wish I had this Mercedes memo last year. I'm a long time customer of ECS Tuning. However in 2013 I ordered power steering fluid as per their website for my 2005 W211. I got the older spec Q1460001. I never used the fluid, because I learned it was the wrong stuff. I called ECS and they told me I could use either fluid (as per their MBZ in house expert). I could not return the fluid. It's still in my garage in the sealed bottles in zip tied bags. Oh well, a mere $16 down the drain. It is one blemish in an otherwise good and long supplier relationship.

I see now that ECS has corrected their site to specify the correct fluid.

-Bill
Old 10-13-2015, 11:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 171 Likes on 119 Posts
E63 SL55 996TT C5Z06
2003 C-Class/C32 owners manual - power steering fluid (PENTOSIN CHF 11S)

Originally Posted by Tschuss_Bill
I wish I had this Mercedes memo last year. I'm a long time customer of ECS Tuning. However in 2013 I ordered power steering fluid as per their website for my 2005 W211. I got the older spec Q1460001. I never used the fluid, because I learned it was the wrong stuff. I called ECS and they told me I could use either fluid (as per their MBZ in house expert). I could not return the fluid. It's still in my garage in the sealed bottles in zip tied bags. Oh well, a mere $16 down the drain. It is one blemish in an otherwise good and long supplier relationship.

I see now that ECS has corrected their site to specify the correct fluid.

-Bill
Not sure this helps anyone, but wanted to share my power steering issues.

Had my C32 for 10 years now and the power steering has always been horrible. If you turn the wheel fully to either right or left it would never automatically come back to center without me manually turning the wheel with considerable effort.

I thought perhaps my power steering pump was going out as a result of getting over taxed from having a 178mm crank pulley installed. I took it to a couple shops and they flushed the fluid and put in what ever general Mercedes fluid is recommended.

Tonight i have to report that I (after reading many MBworld posts) finally flushed my power steering fluid and replaced it with PENTOSIN CHF 11S which is exactly the correct fluid listed in the 2003 C Class / C32 owners manual on page 330 under section Fluids, Coolant, Lubricants and the power steering is magically working like the car is NEW!!!

Anyways most of you on the boards probably know this, but somehow I missed this and after many years of ****ty power steering this was a revelation that PENTOSIN is the magic fluid for 2003 c/C32s and the shops ive taken my car to have been wrong all along.

its about 20 bucks on Amazon to buy PENTOSIN CHF 11S fluid - - it is GREEN just to clarify. my fluid when i drained it was brown/red and clearly really bad.

Best to all