coolant loss, no leak

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-13-2015, 05:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
N/A
coolant loss, no leak

hi, guys.
I have 2003 c32 amg, mileage about 60k. All stock except exhaust.
My car is losing coolant slowly. I checked the car with a mechanic, but there's no evidence of external leak.
So I have searched in this forum and found 2 possiblities.

1. intercooler leak into intake manifold
2. radiator leak into transmission fluid

I started to check the intercooler first, because there's no symptom of transmission. (But I'm terrified, cause I have original valeo.)
I took off intake lines and took some photos. The wall was coated with yellow-brown sticky substance. Does it mean my intercooler leaks?
If so, what should I do? Replace intercooler and cleaning intake manifold? any thing else?

Appreciate any mention.

Old 06-13-2015, 12:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 C32 AMG
It looks like their might be some glycol deposits in the intake, yes.. Unfortunately the only solution is to replace the intercooler and clean the intake manifold like you have stated.
There is a forum member if you do some searching name Rudy who custom makes intercoolers for the c32/slk32/crossfire srt and its about $1000 in the US. A lot of people have used them and claimed better performance than the stock one and it doesn't leak!
It's on my to do list, as my C32 is also eating coolant slowly as well.

If you want to be definitive, get a coolant pressure tester with the right adapter and pressurize the cooling system to like 15-17psi. I did mine on a Friday and then checked the gauge on sunday... dropped to about 10psi with no external leak and the reservoir was noticeably down... and when I started it up there was a plume of coolant smoke and then it ran fine..

Good luck
Old 06-14-2015, 03:16 AM

N/A
Originally Posted by Supgee
It looks like their might be some glycol deposits in the intake, yes.. Unfortunately the only solution is to replace the intercooler and clean the intake manifold like you have stated.
There is a forum member if you do some searching name Rudy who custom makes intercoolers for the c32/slk32/crossfire srt and its about $1000 in the US. A lot of people have used them and claimed better performance than the stock one and it doesn't leak!
It's on my to do list, as my C32 is also eating coolant slowly as well.

If you want to be definitive, get a coolant pressure tester with the right adapter and pressurize the cooling system to like 15-17psi. I did mine on a Friday and then checked the gauge on sunday... dropped to about 10psi with no external leak and the reservoir was noticeably down... and when I started it up there was a plume of coolant smoke and then it ran fine..

Good luck
thanks! great help for me
I'm gonna check out my options for intercooler here...
It seems to be a huge time and cost spending work...
Old 06-15-2015, 02:25 AM

N/A
let me ask one more question.
is this what all i need? PN 112 500 00 00, the part numbered "400" in the diagram from following link.

http://www.mbpartsworld.com/showAsse...sembly=1076716

Anyway, I think my intercooler leak is not that severe yet and I will try with a liquid type of "radiator sealer". If it doesn't work, then I should replace the intercooler...

Last edited by cool D; 06-15-2015 at 02:29 AM.
Old 06-15-2015, 08:30 AM

SRT-6
Originally Posted by cool D
let me ask one more question.
is this what all i need? PN 112 500 00 00, the part numbered "400" in the diagram from following link.

http://www.mbpartsworld.com/showAsse...sembly=1076716

Anyway, I think my intercooler leak is not that severe yet and I will try with a liquid type of "radiator sealer". If it doesn't work, then I should replace the intercooler...
That's the part you need. Don't forget the supercharger to intercooler gasket with the appropriate black gasket sealant and manifold gaskets. The leak goes both ways. Sucking coolant at light throttle and pushing air into the circuit under high boost. Let us know if the radiator sealer works.

Les
Old 06-15-2015, 09:30 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Mercedes C32
Would also like to know if the radiator sealer worked....
Old 06-15-2015, 10:40 AM

N/A
velociabstract
gaskets and sealant, okay i got it. thank you!

and, about radiator sealer, I will keep it posted here. I think it might need couple of months to find out if it works.

Trending Topics

Old 10-01-2015, 10:59 PM

N/A
Originally Posted by cool D
velociabstract
gaskets and sealant, okay i got it. thank you!

and, about radiator sealer, I will keep it posted here. I think it might need couple of months to find out if it works.
I think it worked. The product I used was Wurth radiator sealer. (liquid chemical that I applied into coolant reservoir tank) guys who have same problem with me, you can try this before replacing whole intercooler.
Old 10-02-2015, 08:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 190 Likes on 169 Posts
2006 E55, 2012 GLK350 & 1992 190e sportline
JMO but I would never put any type of stop leak solution in my car. These are not meant to be a permanent fix but more of a stop gap in a bad situation. You should really try to fix the problem and get that crap out of your car. Think about this. If it is filling cracks in your system what else is it going to fill?
Old 10-02-2015, 04:26 PM

"World fastest" C32 AMG
Originally Posted by insame1
JMO but I would never put any type of stop leak solution in my car. These are not meant to be a permanent fix but more of a stop gap in a bad situation. You should really try to fix the problem and get that crap out of your car. Think about this. If it is filling cracks in your system what else is it going to fill?
Its not MacGyvers chicken egg

So it is pretty safe to use.
Old 10-17-2015, 02:42 AM

N/A
Originally Posted by insame1
many other people worries about that and I did just same as you. And some have had troubles actually. So I asked a mechanic, one of my friend, and carefully chose a reliable product. And I fixed my problem without any trouble for last couple of months. I just give you an option and share my exprience. Anyway appreciate for your opinion to let others think twice before they use it.
Old 10-17-2015, 05:03 PM

C32AMG
Which Wurth product you use? Radiator sealant or Radiator sealant HP ?

I pour a bottle of the second type and will see in the next few weeks what will be the result. My car was drinking a liter of coolant every 2-3 weeks

How much did your car drink before the fix?
Old 10-18-2015, 05:47 AM

N/A

Originally Posted by husqvarna
Which Wurth product you use? Radiator sealant or Radiator sealant HP ?

I pour a bottle of the second type and will see in the next few weeks what will be the result. My car was drinking a liter of coolant every 2-3 weeks

How much did your car drink before the fix?
This is what I used. My car didnt drink that much. A liter in 2~3 months. I hope your car fixed with that.