C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Advice on purchase of 03 C32 please

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-10-2004, 10:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 C32 AMG, 2001 SLK 320 Designo Copper
Advice on purchase of 03 C32 please

I am considering purchasing a 2003 C32 with 900 miles on it that was repurchased by MB for a "SAP light malfunction". Car has been fixed and problem apparently no longer exists. I was wondering if anyone has experienced this problem with their car, or is this common to the C32?
Old 02-10-2004, 10:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2002 C32 Black/Charcoal
03 C32

I have not heard anything about this specific problem being commonplace, and I would be cautious. While the car would be a seemingly good deal if the problem has been fixed, I find it curious (read: suspicious) that MBZ agreed to repurchase the car over such a supposedly simple problem. My next door neighbor has a 2001 or 2002 CL500 that has a frame defect that causes the vehicle to drift constantly to the right. MBZ tried everything to fix the problem but could not. Nonetheless, they refused to repurchase the car (he paid almost $110,000.00). He has now sued MBZ, and trial is set for later this month. Only now is MBZ seriously discussing settlement with him. My point is: I doubt that this problem was simply a "light." I would contact MBZ with the VIN and find out exactly what the problem was, and confirm repair (in writing, preferably). Good luck!
Old 02-10-2004, 10:57 PM

There is more to the story. According to the dealer who is selling the car, the original owner of this vehicle has a history with the dealership where he got it. He originally bought a brand new '02 that developed a SAP malfunction. He was unable to get the problem fixed to his satisfaction, and after several visits to the dealer for this problem, the dealer had to buy it back from him. He then got this '03 model in question, and after just a few weeks of ownership, this car developed the same SAP problem. Since the dealers past experiences with this customer were so unpleasent, the dealer bought the car back from him (again) and the two parted ways. These events took place in California where they have very consumer friendly lemon laws (so I'm told) and that is why the dealer was so quick in buying the car back. Seems coincidental that someone would have the same problem twice on two seperate cars. The title of the vehicle reflects the MB buyback and will stay on it forever. Car has Nav, Zenons, and every other option I like and is priced at $43.9.
Old 02-10-2004, 11:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
2013 Audi S4
wait and save for the C55
Old 02-10-2004, 11:20 PM

xx
If its title now reflects 'lemon status' that could greatly impact its resale value. Your best bet is to buy my perfect title, fully loaded, low mileage C32 which is advertised in the classifieds.

Kevin
Old 02-11-2004, 12:11 AM

Originally posted by DMXtremeZ
wait and save for the C55
Yeah an extra $20,000 is no big deal

Go for Accomplice's car...sounds like a good package, and good price. Also a car you know that doesnt have a shady history.
Old 02-11-2004, 12:48 AM

C63 / ////AMG
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...&category=6334

This is a "lemon law" buyback....
Old 02-11-2004, 09:57 AM

xx
It says "Title will be branded". If that means it will be stamped as a lemon I'd be concerned about resale. If you're financing, you may want to confirm that your lender will loan on a car with any anomalies on the title.

Kevin
Old 02-11-2004, 10:29 AM

What if everything the seller is telling me about this car checks out, ie. the car never really had a problem with the SAP system, the original owner of the car was intentionally messing with it and the dealer just wanted to get rid of him. Since the dealer bought the car back, he is obligated by Calif. state law to document it on the title. If 3yrs and 30k miles from now the car never has a problem with the SAP (or any other system) and I wanted to resell the car, the branded title might not be a big issue.???. Also, the car still has the factory warranty for 3 more years in the event there actually was a problem. Any thoughts......
Old 02-11-2004, 11:03 AM

Audi C7.5 S6
If you plan on keeping the car for over ten years, it won't make much difference, whether it was lemoned or not. If you want to sell it in two years, it will be a much bigger issue.

I was looking at this car also, seems too good to be true.

Don
Old 02-11-2004, 11:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C32 Black/Charcoal
California Lemon Law

I am a California attorney (along with another 1/2 million or so others), but lemon law is not my forte (I chase ambulances). I will give you what I know, however. You are correct that CA's lemon law is very consumer-friendly (meaning that it is designed to force the dealer to repurchase seriously defective cars). The CA lemon law forces a dealer to take back a car that has a serious (usually dangerous) defect that cannot be fixed within, I believe, three tries. Alternatively, even if the car is only in the shop once, but is in shop for a certain minimum number of days (my recollection is 30, but double check) for the same problem, same goes. Since the ebay seller of this vehicle makes a big deal out of the fact that it was only in the shop "once," I supect that the latter situation applies. In other words, it took the dealer more than 30 days to figure out the problem. Hopefully, the "technicians" (I use the term loosely), who probably completely dismantled the stability control program, put it back together correctly. Ask yourself a simply question: Why didn't MBZ just resell this car directly to an end user (instead of to a reseller)? Also, from a purely economic position, I would avoid this car. The fact that it has the lemon law stamp on the title will kill your eventual resale value, and erase any front-end savings (at least at $43K). My suggestion would be: If the vehicle does not sell, try calling the seller and offering in the high 30's, or look for a different one which has already had the ECU/pulley upgrade (which costs $3,500, and which you will eventually want). Again, good luck!
Old 02-11-2004, 11:17 AM
rrf

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am on the other side on this.

Get the name of the actual MB dealership, call them and say you are thinking of buying this particular car: (provide the VIN) ask for the records, and the name of the Service Advisor. If all goes well and the stories match, you can then decide if the "buy-back" stamp is worth it financially.

I agree that the longer you plan keep it, the the more attractive it is for you.

Many many people have had some sort of ESP problem so.....

BTW keep the records you get, you will need then when you sell.
Old 02-11-2004, 01:15 PM

I bought my current vehicle from this dealer (2001 C320) and I think he is an honrable guy. My car has been problem free and a pleasure to own and don't think this dealer is trying to pull a fast one on anybody. I am however not finding a lender willing to finance a "lemon law" car.
Old 02-11-2004, 02:16 PM
rrf

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think you missed my point, try asking this dealer the name of the MB dealership that "lemoned" the car. (Park Place or whatever). Then call that MB dealership and find out what is the story.

MB dealership keeps every detail of every car.
Old 02-11-2004, 09:52 PM

I had the local MB dealer who I bought my wife's car from (01 SLK 320 Designo, very nice) check the history on the C32 and everything checks out OK. The car was purchased at MB of South Bay in Torrence, Ca. and was brought in for service at 755 miles. They replaced a "control module - gasoline engine" and that was it. They bought the car back with 801 miles about 28 days later. There has been no other service performed on the car and the story of the dealer repurchasing the car to end the transaction with the customer is accurate. The dealer used a "Customer good will account" to help absorb the lost $ on the car and move on. I have decided to not purchase the car simply due to the fact I can't afford to spend that kind of money on something with a "red flag". If, however, you plan on keeping the car for a long time, or are not bothered by the branded title, it would seem that the car is mechanically sound. Also, I have bought a car from this dealer before and know them to be very honest and good people (as this investigation proved). Could prove to be a nice purchase for the right person.
Old 02-11-2004, 10:52 PM

C63 / ////AMG
I am familiar with South Bay Mercedes in Torrance. They are a reputable dealer - We have done quite a bit of business with them over the past 10 years.

If it's not a "lemon law" buyback, than the title should be OK.
Old 02-11-2004, 11:11 PM

It is definately a "lemon law" buy back.
Old 02-12-2004, 11:45 AM

E55, C32, ML320
FYI... MB dealers are generally prohibited from providing the service history of a vehicle to anyone other than the owner. MB has some very strict privacy rules and the penalty to the dealers can be significant if the owner complains.