red oil level message

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-11-2004, 01:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C32
red oil level message

Hi all,

I've just ran into my first quirk today. I was driving at about 75-80 mph on the freeway and all of a sudden, a red warning popped up, indicating high oil level. I checked the engine temp and it looks normal. Car is around 6080 miles. I don't think this is normal, is it? Could this be a prelude of more problems to come?

Thoughts? TIA
Old 02-11-2004, 07:25 PM

C32AMG
Have you checked your oil level yet?

A couple extra quarts is actually worse than being short the same amount.If your oil level actually did go up by itself,park the car and call your dealer.Either way,you should always call the dealer before trying to second-guess your car's problems here on-line.
It may just be an oil-level sensor problem...but why take a chance?.
Old 02-11-2004, 08:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
asdf
Re: red oil level message

Originally posted by ultraseven
Hi all,

I've just ran into my first quirk today. I was driving at about 75-80 mph on the freeway and all of a sudden, a red warning popped up, indicating high oil level. I checked the engine temp and it looks normal. Car is around 6080 miles. I don't think this is normal, is it? Could this be a prelude of more problems to come?

Thoughts? TIA
Take it to the dealership as soon as you can. If you recently had your oil changed from MB and received that warning message, then it is most likely due to a falty sensor. I had the same warning awhile back...conclusion? Bad sensor. But be sure to go get it checked out immediately even though it is better to be over than under.
Old 02-12-2004, 01:23 PM

2004 E55 White
Same thing happened to me. Brought it to the dealer thinking is was a faulty sensor but turned out to be a little too much oil.
Old 02-12-2004, 06:42 PM

C32AMG
It is NOT

"better too be over than under"....put a couple extra quarts in your crankcase and see what happens.
Old 02-13-2004, 11:27 PM

ex-C32
What happens is at cruise or light throttle on a level road the oil level might flirt with over filled sensor as pressure is low(ask me how I know). Normally you don't have the warning correct? Probably yes.

If the dealership did this I would take it back and tell them to lower the level. Otherwise it should be fine.

Norm
Bordeau/Merlot
Old 02-14-2004, 10:05 AM

2003 C32
Re: red oil level message

Originally posted by ultraseven
Hi all,

Thoughts? TIA
I had this happen, at about the same mileage..I was really moving down the highway, at about 100mph, and that light came on; I of course headed over to the dealer immediately.

It was a quirk they couldn't duplicate, and has never happened since.

Still scared the holy crap out of me.
Old 02-17-2004, 07:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 E55 AMG
Last time I took the W140 to the dealer, they overfilled it!