New C32 AMG Owner question about rebuild or used engine

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-06-2015, 09:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C32 AMG
New C32 AMG Owner question about rebuild or used engine

Good evening and sorry for the lack of details,

Today I purchased my first AMG model (02 C32) with a bad engine. The previous owner believes it was the bottom end but I've yet to confirm.

The question I would like to ask is it better to rebuild or purchase a used block or even whole engine? If I am rebuilding, are there any upgrades people would suggest to ensure it lives a long life?

Any input is welcome, excuse my ignorance on the matter I'm still researching for hours tonight.

New C32 AMG Owner question about rebuild or used engine-t19nhesh.jpg
Old 12-06-2015, 11:03 PM

C32 AMG
Update:

After changing the battery and a few other things, the car started on first crank after its been sitting for 9 months. There is a definitive loud click relative to the engine speed almost a knocking noise. I wanted to check the oil but realized there is no dipstick (verified) but the dash did not prompt me of any error. Going to drain the oil tomorrow and see what it looks like.
Old 12-07-2015, 02:39 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
c32
Get a leak down test done.
Old 12-07-2015, 11:07 PM

C32 AMG
I will try that this week, thank you!

Video: I got home after dark but ran the motor for about 30 seconds. I was able to tell the loud ticking is coming from the head or valvetrain. I don't plan to start it up again until I can do a leakdown test or inspect the heads with the valve covers off. Car also had 4 codes:

P0304
P0305
P0306
P0300

These are all misfire codes. I'm thinking one of the cams/valvetrain component wore out so removing the valve covers is the next step.

Any suggestions
Old 12-08-2015, 09:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 C32
Some 2002's had cam issues. Hope you got it cheap.
Old 12-08-2015, 10:41 AM

C32 AMG
Originally Posted by Dasauto
Some 2002's had cam issues. Hope you got it cheap.
I purchased the car with the previous owner believing it may need a rebuild or new engine so the price reflected that. I'll be researching the cam issue more; I saw a few posts on it but I cannot find a video to compare. Definitely seems like a likely culprit at this point, thank you.

Would it be easier/cheaper to purchase a 2003 C32 AMG used engine and swap it? I've done multiple swaps and seeing the pricetag on the cams just seems like a no brainer to get a used engine.

Last edited by eb88; 12-08-2015 at 10:52 AM.
Old 12-09-2015, 12:40 PM

C32 AMG
Started the car and used a stethoscope to isolate the noise. It oddly was not present so I took the car for a 5 minute drive. It drove fine when babied, but when I pressed on the accelerator for some ummph, it shook slightly and the tick came back.

It sounded to be coming from the passenger side head so I removed both valve covers and inspected the rockers, cams, and anything visible. Everything looks good and I do not see shavings nor is the chain loose. I'll be checking for timing marks later today to make sure the belt didn't skip a tooth or something.

When I rotated the crank, I could clearly hear all valves taking and expelling air.
Old 12-09-2015, 01:03 PM

c32
How'd the oil look when you drained it?
Old 12-09-2015, 04:46 PM

C32 AMG
Originally Posted by kuneefay
How'd the oil look when you drained it?
I didn't make it home till night last night and the garage is filled with other projects. Hoping to make it home from the office while there is light out.
Old 12-10-2015, 11:19 AM

C32 AMG
Drained out the oil and put the valve covers back on. I didn't see any huge metal fragments and when I scraped the drain pan with a magnet I found just two tiny shavings which could have been from previous cars.

Thinking of just taking it to a shop for a proper diagnosis since I'm not seeing anything.
Old 12-11-2015, 08:45 PM

C32 AMG
Pulled the valve cover on the passenger side because that is where the sound is coming from. I'm thinking it could be a bad rocker arm because it sounds like every youtube video I've researched. All rocker arms look fine, I'm thinking next steps are to remove the tension on the chain at TDC, lock the cam in place, and remove the camshaft bridge to fully see whats going on.
Old 12-12-2015, 12:33 AM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
2002 C32AMG
Originally Posted by eb88
Pulled the valve cover on the passenger side because that is where the sound is coming from. I'm thinking it could be a bad rocker arm because it sounds like every youtube video I've researched. All rocker arms look fine, I'm thinking next steps are to remove the tension on the chain at TDC, lock the cam in place, and remove the camshaft bridge to fully see whats going on.
sounds like you don't need to take it anywhere for diagnostics

keep us posted and feel free to share pics of the tear down
Old 12-12-2015, 11:48 AM

C32 AMG
Originally Posted by C3Duece
sounds like you don't need to take it anywhere for diagnostics

keep us posted and feel free to share pics of the tear down
Thanks for the motivation! This is a long but good update.

Well, I feel like I am really getting to know this car now. First I removed the passenger valve cover again and visually looked closely at all rockers, valve spring retainers, etc. I did not see any damage nor did I see metal in the oil. Removing the coils on the other side as well I set up my phone to make sure they were all moving.

Don't mind the spider on the coilpack in the video, he was my friend on this project.

After seeing this and the purge of oil at the end (which ended up on my exhaust manifold and made for some fun later) I figured I can run it again. I backed out all the studs holding the camshaft bearing assembly very loosely (about 1/4 of a turn) and re-torqued them all in order.
I took the car out for a short drive after verifying the tick was on the front of the valvetrain and it sounded like this after running for 10 minutes.

This tick was driving me mad and with no check engine light I decided to keep going and drive it a little harder. After a few harder pulls (50% on the accelerator). After each pull, the tick lessened. Soon it was gone!!!

I let the car sit overnight and the sound is gone. Now I just have what sounds like some supercharger noise at idle. Note, this is only 20 seconds after starting the car after it sat at night. I also don't hear the sound when driving only at idle.

Supercharger noise:

Quick video with the engine cover/sound dampner and air filters back on.

Lastly, I was sick of the original AMG wheels and tires because they are in poor condition. I found another AMG set locally this morning and replaced them. I believe they are the exact same sizing (wheels and tires).

Old:
New C32 AMG Owner question about rebuild or used engine-wa8pxpeh.jpg

New:
New C32 AMG Owner question about rebuild or used engine-i6l4ubkh.jpg

How she is currently sitting
New C32 AMG Owner question about rebuild or used engine-a4obrr9h.jpg

I've come to realize most people with these cars don't tinker on them personally much so I'll try to post as much as possible to support the community.

Some pictures:
New C32 AMG Owner question about rebuild or used engine-4mlxok4h.jpg
New C32 AMG Owner question about rebuild or used engine-kbahu9ph.jpg
New C32 AMG Owner question about rebuild or used engine-tx4rp2dh.jpg
New C32 AMG Owner question about rebuild or used engine-tghf2p4h.jpg

Last edited by eb88; 12-12-2015 at 11:52 AM.
Old 12-18-2015, 03:23 PM

c32
Nice! Glad you got it squared away. The supercharger noise is bearing howl from the pulley bearing. Here is a video
running through how to change it. Engine layout is different and tensioner pulley isn't in the same spot but the actual bearing change is the same.
Old 12-18-2015, 04:43 PM

C32 AMG
Thanks for the reply! I figured it was the bearing so I purchased and installed it yesterday. Noise is gone.

Transmission threw a gear shift code. I pulled the plug and saw oil leaking through the connector so I have a new connector and a dipstick on the way.

I also bought some new brabus monoblocks for the car since the 17s felt so small. Plus the 255s hold better than the 245s with ESP off.