C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

KN Filters are out

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-18-2004, 03:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C32 and 98 C5 Vert
KN Filters are out

I ordered the KN filters for my C32 and it cost me 70 bucks recieved them today. Thats Mod 1, man I hope I dont mod this thing like I did my vette. 12K later mid 11's on street tires at over 120!

I plan on doing some exhaust work also!
Old 02-18-2004, 03:37 PM

are there any proven gains with these? Most KNs are a waste of money and do more damage to your engine than good. Ive seen dynos where the KN actually resulted in lost power
Old 02-18-2004, 11:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'05 A4 1.8TQM6
some people have had good luck with them and others have not. Just be careful not to over oil them or you'll be looking at new Mass Airflow Sensors.
Old 02-19-2004, 04:47 AM

Its ok the C32 has no Mass air flow sensor.
Old 02-19-2004, 11:57 AM
Super Moderator

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
2003 CL55 AMG
Originally posted by N.M.M.
Its ok the C32 has no Mass air flow sensor.

WHo told you this ?
Old 02-19-2004, 02:07 PM

W211 E63
Originally posted by awiner
WHo told you this ?
i think C32s have a MAP sensor
Old 02-24-2004, 04:03 PM

C32 and 98 C5 Vert
Originally posted by s4iscool
are there any proven gains with these? Most KNs are a waste of money and do more damage to your engine than good. Ive seen dynos where the KN actually resulted in lost power
Once you see the stock air filters you will know what the word restriction means. Tight paper filter.

I dont have dyno numbers but the throttle response is better.

Trending Topics

Old 02-24-2004, 04:47 PM
Bux
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
G
crazy how ppl can feel the differnece from just filters.
Old 02-24-2004, 05:32 PM

Originally posted by ro0zy
crazy how ppl can feel the differnece from just filters.
Just because its paper doesnt mean its bad. Ive seen numerous dynos that show a loss in power from free flowing filters, and on top of that you can enjoy all the other crap now getting into your engine.
Old 02-24-2004, 10:22 PM

2004 clk500 coupe
k&n air flow

i was exposed to k&n's filtercharger hype around roadracing bikes, we dyno tested most popular brands and found the k&n to be very low on the performance making scale, they promote a million mile lifetime and clean it yourself jive, but the effect you get from them is that the combustion chamber recieves less air due to the density of the filter fabric, but fuel injection continues proving the right amount of fuel so the air fuel ratio is now higher in fuel, so the results seem to be a richer mixture and a different performance seat of the pants feel
Old 02-25-2004, 07:39 AM

C32AMG
K&N hype

To get more "power" from a change in filter means that the original filter must have been restricting the air flow more than the new filter, and your engine has been starving for air. Think about it! Is that realistic? Do you think the MBZ engineers who designed this fantastic engine would design the air intake system less than optimal? If they could get more air in by increasing the filter size or air intake diameter, they could easily do so.
The K&N mystique is bunk. It's like the STP mystique of the 70's. Just advertising and hype.
Next someone will be recommending the "Tornado" for our air filters. Hey, see that one on the Speed Channel? Spins the air to get more into your cylinders. Yup. A sucker born every minute.

Old 02-25-2004, 09:00 PM

2004 clk500 coupe
Re: K&N hype

Originally posted by RapidG
To get more "power" from a change in filter means that the original filter must have been restricting the air flow more than the new filter, and your engine has been starving for air. Think about it! Is that realistic? Do you think the MBZ engineers who designed this fantastic engine would design the air intake system less than optimal? If they could get more air in by increasing the filter size or air intake diameter, they could easily do so.
The K&N mystique is bunk. It's like the STP mystique of the 70's. Just advertising and hype.
Next someone will be recommending the "Tornado" for our air filters. Hey, see that one on the Speed Channel? Spins the air to get more into your cylinders. Yup. A sucker born every minute.

cant comment on mercedes engineering, but can tell you a K&N is not going to flow any more and possibly less than your factory supplied paper filter that is not cleanable/reuseable, that was the point, people have used too thick of oil on the fabric and claimed it ran better, thicker/wrong type oil will restrict the air flow, that was THEIR claim, my first hand results on a dyno with vee twin superbike racers was k&n filters created less hp on back to back pulls than BMC fabric and UNIFILTER foam,VS. stock paper, foam flow the most air but dont filter as well as quality fabric

Last edited by clkguy; 02-25-2004 at 09:10 PM.
Old 02-25-2004, 09:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2002 C32 Black/Charcoal
STP doesn't work?

Oh great, so now, after all of these years, you tell me that STP doesn't work. You could have at least let me know back when Reagan was in office.

Desirous of recapturing the perfomance loss which I am certain to suffer by going STP "cold turkey," I have decided to make up the horsies with some spanking new K&N filters. This decision was based primarily on all of your positive comments (I know that you really like them, but are restraining yourselves)

By the way, for all of you contrarian thinkers out there, PerformanceIntl.com seems to have the best price on K&Ns for the C32 ($70.00 for two, with free shipping).