Whistle sound from left engine side when letting off accelerator

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-06-2016, 09:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 170 Likes on 118 Posts
E63 SL55 996TT C5Z06
Whistle sound from left engine side when letting off accelerator

anyone experience a whistle sound like this from the engine left side?

its a whistle type noise coming from the left side which i hear at idle and the noise increases if i tap the accelerator pedal (see video).

BUT when driving it goes away if i am accelerating and am on the accelerator pedal but it then comes back when i am coasting/not touching the accelerator pedal.

i slipped off my belt to check if it was a bad bearing on the water pump or alternator and also checked all the other pullies and they all spin fine zero noise so assuming its not a bad bearing.

could it be a leak of some sort??? i dont have any performance issues or any CEL's just this noise happening for about 2 weeks and has progressively gotten louder so getting me worried..... car is going to the shop next week maybe time for a compression test or something.

thx john
Old 02-07-2016, 01:00 AM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
C32 amg
Originally Posted by jvakos

C32 AMG - whistle sound from left engine side - YouTube

its a whistle type noise coming from the left side which i hear at idle and the noise increases if i tap the accelerator pedal (see video).

BUT when driving it goes away if i am accelerating and am on the accelerator pedal but it then comes back when i am coasting/not touching the accelerator pedal.

i slipped off my belt to check if it was a bad bearing on the water pump or alternator and also checked all the other pullies and they all spin fine zero noise so assuming its not a bad bearing.

could it be a leak of some sort??? i dont have any performance issues or any CEL's just this noise happening for about 2 weeks and has progressively gotten louder so getting me worried..... car is going to the shop next week maybe time for a compression test or something.

thx john
It sounds to me like a vaccum leak,check PCV hoses there are 2 one on each side of the valve covers going to bottom of throttle body. To me sounds like vaccum leak
Old 02-08-2016, 10:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63 SL55 996TT C5Z06
Morphh - think youre right on the vacuum leak...the hoses are all connected to the breather box as far as i can see.

i attempted to gently tighten the bolts on the breather box thinking perhaps it was slightly loose and found that the rear smaller torx bolt was not only super loose but is snapped (see pic) and just stuck in the slot held in with with black sealer.

I checked the other smaller front torx bolt on the breather box and unscrewed it to do a sanity check on the length and that one is about 1 inch long so clearly the other one was broken which you can see from the pic attached.

i pressed in a small strip of aluminum HVAC tape on the bolt and slot to hold the broken bolt in while i drive it to the shop and the whistling sound is much less, but still noticeable so am guessing thats the culprit.

thx Morphh once again you have been tremendous help!
Attached Thumbnails Whistle sound from left engine side when letting off accelerator-img_0687.jpg  
Old 04-16-2016, 02:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63 SL55 996TT C5Z06
the shop confirmed my whistle noise is a vacuum leak coming from the where the intake manifold pipe connects with a rubber hose/clamps to the lower Y-Pipe.

they said those rubber hoses that connect that manifold pipe to the y-pipe are pretty degraded (see pics) so not sealing properly... the sound went away for about 2 days after they tightened the clamp on the hose but is back.

can these be re-sealed or do you just buy new rubber hoses???

If new, what is the part number for those hoses??? I cant seem to find so maybe it only comes with a new intake manifold or new lower y-pipe which i cannot deterime from those parts so may call dealer...

http://www.mboemparts.com/oe-mercedes-benz/1120900031

http://www.mboemparts.com/oe-mercedes-benz/1120980207
Attached Thumbnails Whistle sound from left engine side when letting off accelerator-img_1844.jpg   Whistle sound from left engine side when letting off accelerator-img_1845.jpg  
Old 04-18-2016, 12:59 PM

C32 amg
the shop confirmed my whistle noise is a vacuum leak coming from the where the intake manifold pipe connects with a rubber hose/clamps to the lower Y-Pipe.

they said those rubber hoses that connect that manifold pipe to the y-pipe are pretty degraded (see pics) so not sealing properly... the sound went away for about 2 days after they tightened the clamp on the hose but is back.

If new, what is the part number for those hoses??? I cant seem to find so maybe it only comes with a new intake manifold or new lower y-pipe which i cannot deterime from those parts so may call dealer...

I still think it's where the 2 PCV connect to underneath the throttle body, it could be those rubber clamps as well let me know, check out needswing for parts
Old 04-19-2016, 01:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63 SL55 996TT C5Z06
Originally Posted by Morphh
I still think it's where the 2 PCV connect to underneath the throttle body, it could be those rubber clamps as well let me know, check out needswing for parts
Morphh - i will take a look at that thanks. what do those 2 PCV hoses (or whatever they are) look like that connect underneath the throttle body? am trying to find them but cant tell from pics of that area (attached from different site) what those look like to check out.

i removed my intake y-pipe and could see a little more back there, but might need to remove the throttle body to get a good look at what you're referring to with those PCV hoses/connect as this noise is driving me nuts
Attached Thumbnails Whistle sound from left engine side when letting off accelerator-640.jpg  
Old 04-19-2016, 09:48 AM

C32 amg
Morphh - i will take a look at that thanks. what do those 2 PCV hoses (or whatever they are) look like that connect underneath the throttle body? am trying to find them but cant tell from pics of that area (attached from different site) what those look like to check out.

i removed my intake y-pipe and could see a little more back there, but might need to remove the throttle body to get a good look at what you're referring to with those PCV hoses/connect as this noise is driving me nuts
U might have to take off one of
the intakes, both PCV pipes come together T and our plug
In under the throttle body. U can't see with that pic u have look up catch can from needswing I think there is diagram there on how it connects
Old 05-02-2016, 09:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63 SL55 996TT C5Z06

Think i found the correct hose part number.... this is for the one that connects the intake manifold to the lower Y pipe in the back of the supercharger is #1120942282. May just buy 2 of these get my cracked/deteriorated ones replaced and see if that stops this whistle noise......

in case anyone else has this issue, here's a good diagram of the parts for that entire area....

http://www.mbpartsworld.com/p/__/HOS...120942282.html

http://www.mbpartsworld.com/showAsse...sembly=1076716
Old 05-03-2016, 09:28 AM

C32 amg
Think i found the correct hose part number.... this is for the one that connects the intake manifold to the lower Y pipe in the back of the supercharger is #1120942282. May just buy 2 of these get my cracked/deteriorated ones replaced and see if that stops this whistle noise......

in case anyone else has this issue, here's a good diagram of the parts for that entire area....

Have u checked the PCV pipes where they connect to the throttle body?
Old 05-03-2016, 09:30 AM

C32 amg

Have u checked the PCV pipes where they connect to the throttle body? U can check by spraying water with dish soap to see if u see bubbles in any rubber pipes u see, it might help
Old 05-03-2016, 12:04 PM

C32 amg
Originally Posted by Morphh
Have u checked the PCV pipes where they connect to the throttle body? U can check by spraying water with dish soap to see if u see bubbles in any rubber pipes u see, it might help
I ask u question abt belt tensioner? U notice a noise cmg from brand new one, I put new one on and it's making a rattling noise when in gear.
Old 05-04-2016, 01:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63 SL55 996TT C5Z06
Morphhh - heres a video of my new belt tensioner which i installed an didnt havey any issues with regarding noise or vibration.

ttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgI7YLR_YGI

With that said, the old tensioner here which is the original 13 year old definitely had some wobble/movement but seems some level of movement is normal compared to the new one so not sure exactly what benefit the new tensioner provided but for 150 bucks and couple hours of my time was worth replacing

Old 05-04-2016, 08:38 PM

C32 amg
Morphhh - heres a video of my new belt tensioner which i installed an didnt havey any issues with regarding noise or vibration.

ttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgI7YLR_YGI

With that said, the old tensioner here which is the original 13 year old definitely had some wobble/movement but seems some level of movement is normal compared to the new one so not sure exactly what benefit the new tensioner provided but for 150 bucks and couple hours of my time was worth replacing

C32 AMG Belt tensioner NEW no wobble - YouTube
What serpentine belt brand u running
Old 05-18-2017, 06:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sl 500 m113

C32 AMG - whistle sound from left engine side - YouTube

thx john
Cold you tell me, What was the reason off the whistle Noise. I. Have the Same Problem.
Best regards
Andy
Old 05-18-2017, 06:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sl 500 m113

thx john
Could you say the reason of the whistle sound?
Old 05-18-2017, 04:34 PM

C32 amg
Originally Posted by Kobalthopsing
most likely a vacum leak from pcv hose
they tend to disintegrate from inside out from the oil being sucked through them
Old 05-18-2017, 07:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 84 Likes on 70 Posts
Current: C217 V12TT AMG Previously: C55 AMG, SL65 AMG
I think you guys are wrong, because it's the woo woo making the whistle sound you hear.

Old 05-20-2017, 02:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63 SL55 996TT C5Z06
Originally Posted by Kobalthopsing
was the two hoses that connect the intake manifold to the lower y pipe thats behind the supercharger - see my other post here with the part #1120942282. my hoses were both dry/cracked and after replacing the whistle sound was gone. good luck

its the hose labeled #690 on the diagram here from mbpartsworld

http://www.mbpartsworld.com/p/Merced...120942282.html