Rate Thread

Old 03-17-2004, 07:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes-Benz A170 CDI
UK EVO mag C55 review...

Old 03-17-2004, 07:57 AM

Thumbs up

tanx for this great scanned review bilal!!!

I think they forget that the c55 is a 4 doors saloon and the m3 a 2 doors sport coupe!!!

that not the same category!!!

this c55 rocks!!! when I see this awsome pictures I want to drive it !!!

another review here :
c55 AMG @ autocar Online
Old 03-17-2004, 09:39 AM
lap

2002 c32
Thanks for the article!

But no thanks AMG with ESP still not properly mated to the power :"..corner exit speed has been hampered by a new electronic control that AMG has added to the ESP system...".

I can't believe that AMG Engineers (or is it AMG lawyers that do the programming) still can't get this right.

Maybe I can help with where IMHO I think a Re-programmed ESP should be:

1) ESP on W mode = AS IS (works wonderfully under most circumstances)
2) ESP on S mode = Programmed Intervention somewhere between our ESP OFF mode and ESP ON mode, (closer to the ESP OFF, ie. less intrusion)
3) ESP off mode = No Intervention at all (as can be achieved on 2k2's through COMAND)

I think most of us understand we bought a 350+hp/car and we have to treat it with respect.
I find it interesting as the hp wars forge on the computer restrictions take over
Old 03-17-2004, 10:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C32 AMG
What C32 really needs is a limited slip differential.
Old 03-17-2004, 11:36 PM

2006 Corvette Coupe
3) ESP off mode = No Intervention at all (as can be achieved on 2k2's through COMAND)
I have a 2002 with COMAND! Please elaborate!

Agreed. Getting a LSD fabricated probably wouldn't be too much of an issue, however, I wonder whether a LSD could be put to good use in a stock car or whether ESP would have to be reprogrammed for it to be useful. Similarly, I wonder whether the differential can be changed out for another with a different ratio would affect the speed at which the electronically limited speed is triggered.
Old 03-17-2004, 11:57 PM

2001 C320 (Sold), 2006 CLS 55 AMG Capri blue/cashmere beige (April Delivery)
The LSD system can be fitted side by side with the ESP, because it is a system that works automatically balance the power between front and rear wheels, as well as tranferring torque to the stable wheels before the slip. So basically, LSD can be fitted on cars along with ESP, but I don't for what reasons Mercedes vehicles don't have them.
Old 03-18-2004, 04:52 AM

Mercedes-Benz A170 CDI
AMG will offer LSD's for some cars like SL/E/CLK but only in Affalterbach.

AMG's testing engineers commented they experimented with a LSD but the lap times around hockenheim were the same. That is why, and because most of their customers are not "track junkies" Same reasons of auto v manual.

Plus the LSD does improve traction which is a sin for all AMG cars. A CLK55 W209 with LSD pulled off 0-60 in 4.5/4.6 seconds when tested in Germany.
Old 03-18-2004, 05:31 AM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
just by reading they said the M3 out sold the C32 by 10 to 1 tells me that they need to learn more about the C32. Unlike the M3, the C32 don't go fly off the assembly line every hr. The first year production number for the C32 was what? 2500 units? only 1/3 of the M3's first year production.
Old 03-18-2004, 06:06 AM

Nothing
Originally posted by FrankW
just by reading they said the M3 out sold the C32 by 10 to 1 tells me that they need to learn more about the C32. Unlike the M3, the C32 don't go fly off the assembly line every hr. The first year production number for the C32 was what? 2500 units? only 1/3 of the M3's first year production.
Never mind that! When the time come to sell your car, the C32 will fetch much more because of the exclusivity.
Old 03-18-2004, 06:43 AM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter
Originally posted by AMG FANATIC
Never mind that! When the time come to sell your car, the C32 will fetch much more because of the exclusivity.
actually the M3 currently has higher resale value than C32. For a comparable 2002 M3 it'll still private sale for around $41-2k (w/ the SMGII of course). The C32 is around $40k.
Old 03-18-2004, 02:46 PM

C 32 AMG (203.065)
Thanks a lot for the scan! Great Work!

Sometimes reviewers just forget that Mercedes- and BMW-buyers aren't the same type of people..
Old 03-18-2004, 08:49 PM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter
Originally posted by MadC32

Sometimes reviewers just forget that Mercedes- and BMW-buyers aren't the same type of people..
wrong...they CAN be the same type of people like ME...
Old 03-18-2004, 10:33 PM

2004 Mercedes G500 Black
One question: what does the C32 have now on it's rear axle?? Traction control or truly open??

Does the E55 have traction control on it's rear axle...or is it open??

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-19-2004, 06:14 PM

C32

oh...count me in!
Old 03-19-2004, 07:33 PM

C43, SLK32, CLK63 Black Series
Originally posted by vadim@evosport
Any progress on the development of a limited slip? You mentioned in the past that you are developing one. Thanks.
Old 03-20-2004, 04:58 AM

Uber 202
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by MadC32

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yup me too. My daily driver is a MB, but for that 5% of the time when you want a 3.2L straight 6 with 300+hp on tap and a manual tranny with a LSD... You cant beat the grin factor you get on these cars. Out of the cars in my garage (w202 C230K, W208 CLK55, W209 CLK500, 90 928 and a 01 BMW S54 M roadster.) The bmw is by far the funnest car to drive and has the quickest 1/4 mile. Everytime I drive the BMW it makes me want to drive the thing like I stole it. Nothing has you feeling more connected to the car and road. When I drive the MB's I get a very different feeling. The V8's are fast but the two cars get their power very differently. My fastest autoX and drag times have been done with the BMW. I love most all german cars, they are just built so much better.
Old 03-22-2004, 10:48 PM

E46 M3
The bottom line here is that a semi-pro acquaintence of mine said it best when he commented, "Mercedes would be a much more sucessful company if they stopped trying to make sports cars."

Mercs are cars for rich people who need an emblem on the hood of their car that makes them feel like their ***** is no longer only 5 inches long. When Mercedes tries to compete with BMW in the high performance catagory it is just as dumb as **** on a boar.

AMG can take the C55 AMG and all the rest of their AMG cars and stick them right up their asses, because that is the only place where they might squeeze ahead of some kind of competition.
Old 03-22-2004, 11:39 PM

996 Turbo
Originally posted by AMGsucks
The bottom line here is that a semi-pro acquaintence of mine said it best when he commented, "Mercedes would be a much more sucessful company if they stopped trying to make sports cars."

Mercs are cars for rich people who need an emblem on the hood of their car that makes them feel like their ***** is no longer only 5 inches long. When Mercedes tries to compete with BMW in the high performance catagory it is just as dumb as **** on a boar.

AMG can take the C55 AMG and all the rest of their AMG cars and stick them right up their asses, because that is the only place where they might squeeze ahead of some kind of competition.
I doubt its a good idea. Most mags review the drivers aspect of a car ie max feedback, heavy set steering wheel etc so as a result MB usually gets slaughtered regardless if they handle well (like a CLK). When someone picks up a mag and they're on the fence between a Merc and XXX car with the Merc being slammed what do you think they will go for?
Old 03-23-2004, 11:57 AM

E46 M3
Originally posted by FInality
I doubt its a good idea. Most mags review the drivers aspect of a car ie max feedback, heavy set steering wheel etc so as a result MB usually gets slaughtered regardless if they handle well (like a CLK). When someone picks up a mag and they're on the fence between a Merc and XXX car with the Merc being slammed what do you think they will go for?
Regardless of weather or not they handle well?? You show me a Mercedes that handles well and I will show you a pink elephant. There is a reason that EVERY magazine you read always pics BMW or Audi over Mercedes when it comes to performance... the fact is that Mercedes got bought out by American's, and their quality is **** yet they still overcharge for their product.

BMW is setting a new stardard of excellence that all auto manufacturers should aspire to attain, and mercedes is taking a a long ride down the toilet.
Old 03-23-2004, 12:31 PM

AMGsucks-
Why don't you learn how to spell correctly first and secondly why come to a board just to start trouble? If you have something constructive to say, say it, but all your doing is trying to pick fights.
Old 03-23-2004, 12:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63
Regardless of weather or not they handle well?? You show me a Mercedes that handles well and I will show you a pink elephant. There is a reason that EVERY magazine you read always pics BMW or Audi over Mercedes when it comes to performance... the fact is that Mercedes got bought out by American's, and their quality is **** yet they still overcharge for their product.

BMW is setting a new stardard of excellence that all auto manufacturers should aspire to attain, and mercedes is taking a a long ride down the toilet.

Lol, lets see if i understand you correctly, you (obvious BMW owner/wannabe) wasted 15-20 minutes of your life to register on a website for the sole purpose of insulting peoples choices of cars & at the same time include a reference to their genetelia? You got serious insecurity issues.

cheers
Old 03-23-2004, 12:47 PM

2004 Mercedes G500 Black

I thought that MB bought out Chrysler.

I have an M3...and although it's performance is top-notch, the quality checks leave a lot to be desired when compared to Japanese brandnames (Lexus & Infiniti, especially Lexus). Recent JD Powers surveys show this. Caddy is actually ahead of BMW (and MB).

I agree with you that MB needs to get their act together in terms of quality. I am currently looking to get the G-wagon...and from what i hear, it's built like the older Mercedes.
Old 03-23-2004, 01:08 PM

E46 M3
Originally posted by ChrisC32
Lol, lets see if i understand you correctly, you (obvious BMW owner/wannabe) wasted 15-20 minutes of your life to register on a website for the sole purpose of insulting peoples choices of cars & at the same time include a reference to their genetelia? You got serious insecurity issues.

cheers
Yep, I was bored at the end of my shift at work. I have a 2002 M3 with more than 15k invested in aftermarket parts strictly for performance and wouldn't trade it for any Mercedes, because IMO they are a waste of money. Not only are they a waste IMO, but the fact that they try to compete in the sport-coupe and roadster market is just rediculous. They need to stick to what they (at least claim) to be good at: making luxury sedans.

Ask the average Mercedes driver some questions about their cars, they don't know ****... trust me, I deal with it every day as part of my occupation. Ask the average BMW driver about their car, they know more about their car and the Mercedes than the avereage Mercedes driver.

Sorry to burst your bubble and sour your pride of your status symbol, but I just laugh when I see people driving their Mercs.
Old 03-23-2004, 01:12 PM
CRB

... the fact is that Mercedes got bought out by American's, and their quality is **** yet they still overcharge for their product.
I believe that the Germans (Daimler) bought the Americans (Chrysler). If not, you should tell the people who are have filed suit against DC.
Old 03-23-2004, 01:23 PM

C 32 AMG (203.065)
blabla
Don't you have any friends you can annoy with your pointless posts? Seriously, once you get a valid argument you can return other than that have fun on your BMW board..

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: UK EVO mag C55 review...