C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Please help identify this guide pulley - Renntech maybe?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-14-2017, 08:04 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2004 C32 AMG
Please help identify this guide pulley - Renntech maybe? -- Solved

So, I fixed the SC bearing only to now be able to hear the idler/guide pulley going (below the SC guide pulley - #4 on the diagram). However, it is definitely not stock. I pulled the number off it and ordered the part with 1-day shipping, but the original pulley center piece seems to have a welded spacer on it so they do not match up (see photos, the stock replacement is on the left, the old pulley I am replacing is on the right).

I think it belongs to the Renntech pulley kit, but cannot find any others with the same pulley. Unfortunately, Renntech closed for the day but I am hoping to know by the time I call tomorrow if it is theirs, so I can get rush delivery on it.

I bought this car (04 C32) used without any documentation on the mods so I am having to figure it out as I go. The Renntech crankshaft pulley is marked 01-112-02-00. The small guide pulley I am replacing is marked MB A 137 202 01 19, but again, the metal center is different than stock.

I appreciate anyone's help with this. It sounds really bad, so I need to resolve it asap.
Attached Thumbnails Please help identify this guide pulley - Renntech maybe?-img_1719.jpg   Please help identify this guide pulley - Renntech maybe?-img_1714.jpg   Please help identify this guide pulley - Renntech maybe?-pulleys5.jpg   Please help identify this guide pulley - Renntech maybe?-img_1715.jpg   Please help identify this guide pulley - Renntech maybe?-img_1716.jpg  

Please help identify this guide pulley - Renntech maybe?-img_1720.jpg  

Last edited by purplecat001; 02-15-2017 at 06:43 PM.
Old 02-14-2017, 10:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
2002 C32, 2012 S550
Maybe.......

http://www.needswings.com/pulley-sav...needswings-c32
Old 02-14-2017, 10:30 PM

2004 C32 AMG
Originally Posted by Gramma_Benz
That's an option if I can't find out, I guess. But I'm not really interesting in adding more pulleys, rerouting the coolant lines, and paying over $240+ just to replace a guide pulley. I'd rather spend that money on the leaks I need to fix first.

I appreciate the link, but really I specifically need help with identifying who made the pulley the arrow is pointing to in the photos so that I can get a direct replacement.
Old 02-14-2017, 11:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
2002 C32, 2012 S550
Originally Posted by purplecat001
That's an option if I can't find out, I guess. But I'm not really interesting in adding more pulleys, rerouting the coolant lines, and paying over $240+ just to replace a guide pulley. I'd rather spend that money on the leaks I need to fix first.

I appreciate the link, but really I specifically need help with identifying who made the pulley the arrow is pointing to in the photos so that I can get a direct replacement.
Well, part of the reason why your pulleys are failing is cause you're running on overdrive pulley(renntech) thats making your other accessory pulley's spin too fast making them fail prematurely. This kit addresses that problem, and for the minor $240 in cost, it will save you $$ in the long run.

THIS is why I'm suggesting it. But Good Luck
Old 02-15-2017, 01:14 AM

2004 C32 AMG
Originally Posted by Gramma_Benz
THIS is why I'm suggesting it. But Good Luck
It is not what benefits a PSK offers that I need to be sold on. It can wait. A singular pulley for NOW, so I can keep my car running long enough to fix my priority repairs- is what I am searching for.

Again, if anyone knows who sells the smaller pulley direct replacements that goes with the Renntech pulley kit or other big pulley kits, please let me know. I am no longer willing to risk driving the car until I can find one.
Old 02-15-2017, 08:52 AM

Received 222 Likes on 165 Posts
'08 S550 P3; Golf Carts; MT Bike; Scooters
Are you sure the center part is welded on? It might be a bushing that needs to be driven out and placed on the new pulley. What does the flip side of those pulleys look like?
Old 02-15-2017, 03:18 PM

2004 C32 AMG
Originally Posted by kbob999
Are you sure the center part is welded on? It might be a bushing that needs to be driven out and placed on the new pulley. What does the flip side of those pulleys look like?
No, I'm not certain. But I cleaned it and then unsuccessfully attempted to bang it out (stupidly), which is why I can no longer drive the car. I'm certain in the process, I damaged the pulley more. It seems like it is welded.

Here is a photo of the rear. The left is the incorrect INA replacement I just bought and the right is the pulley that was part of the kit that I am seeking the replacement for. The INA looks a bit different with that metal plate in the center. I imagine the oem MB version looks exactly like the modified pulley without the spacer welded to the center.
Attached Thumbnails Please help identify this guide pulley - Renntech maybe?-img_1717.jpg   Please help identify this guide pulley - Renntech maybe?-img_1718.jpg  
Old 02-15-2017, 03:35 PM

Received 222 Likes on 165 Posts
'08 S550 P3; Golf Carts; MT Bike; Scooters
They are different size holes, so there must be something that fills the new pulley in order to fit the bolt. You might check online or with a dealer to see if there is a bushing you are missing. I don't recall how that pulley goes together or I could give a straight answer.

Since the old pulley is trash, you may need a press, and some heat to get that bushing out. Or just get the right part for the car.
If you have access to a WIS or the EPC, you could find the correct parts for that pulley. I could, but not here at work.

Last edited by kbob999; 02-15-2017 at 03:38 PM.
The following users liked this post:
purplecat001 (02-15-2017)
Old 02-15-2017, 05:23 PM

2004 C32 AMG
Originally Posted by kbob999
They are different size holes, so there must be something that fills the new pulley in order to fit the bolt. You might check online or with a dealer to see if there is a bushing you are missing. I don't recall how that pulley goes together or I could give a straight answer.

Since the old pulley is trash, you may need a press, and some heat to get that bushing out. Or just get the right part for the car.
If you have access to a WIS or the EPC, you could find the correct parts for that pulley. I could, but not here at work.
Yeah, turns out it is a separate spacer. Perhaps because of the heat from the high rotating rate, it somehow welded itself to the ring of the bearing on the pulley. kbobb999 - I really appreciate you taking the time to try and troubleshoot this with me.

For those who stumble upon this thread later down the line:
I emailed Renntech pictures and also called them. They just got back to me and they are providing the spacer and updated idler pulley. It will cost $10+$33+ expedited shipping. So if you are in the same boat, give them a call for the idler pulley replacement. Luckily as of now, they are still able to get the components for this kit. ...Phew!
Old 02-17-2017, 04:04 PM

2004 C32 AMG
I received my pulley this morning and swapped it out. I wish all repairs were that quick and simple.

Here are some photos of the pulley and spacer I just received from Renntech. The pulley was the exact INA one (137-202-01-19-M40 on Pelican parts for ~$16) I bought earlier in the week. The metal plate on the back slips right off. With the plate on, it did not fit onto the pulley post.

Good news is that at least the other one I bought can be saved for the next time I need it and I will soak the old pulley to get that spacer off for later as well. So if anyone else has a 178mm crankshaft pulley, this is the direction to go.
Attached Thumbnails Please help identify this guide pulley - Renntech maybe?-img_1727.jpg   Please help identify this guide pulley - Renntech maybe?-img_1728.jpg   Please help identify this guide pulley - Renntech maybe?-img_1729.jpg