C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Helphelphelphelp!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-20-2004, 07:57 PM
I1 ULOOZ

Helphelphelphelp!!!

I am so angery and frusterated at the moment.........whoooooooossssssaaaaa!

Anyway here is my story.

I bought 19" moven brabus style VI wheels. (which I really regret now) Lowered my car with h&r springs. Time came to put on my wheels and down with that came all these problems which by reading the forums should of not happend???? from what I have read anyways.

First and most important the wheels didnt fit. So for the front I ordered H&R 5mm spacers (not knowing much about spacers at that time), and learned that, that wasnt enouph to clear the front breaks. After talking with the guys at moven I ordered h&r 12mm spacers for they said that is what is needed with those wheels for my car. So here go by 3 more days and I recieve my 12mm H&R spacers, finnally I say to my self and go to put them on, THEY DONT FIT!! So being mad as you can imagen I decided to customize my spacers. (Warning=do not attempt this at home or any where!) I ended up cutting out the guide thing or what ever so that the spacers could fit properly, put the wheels on and was like, sweet looks great. Get in the car to go for a little test drive, put the transmision in the reverse, but for some reason the car
wont budge! Im like what now! Turns out that was an easy fix all I needed to do was get shorter bolts for the back. (idiot)
So there I was again getting into my car for that test drive, this time I actually got to the driving part. And what did I encounter, nothing but more problems.

Second problem- Steering wheel shakes very badly when going in an access of 45 miles. ( most likely due to the customizing of the spacers, lol)

Third problem- Wheels/tires rubb when cornering. Whats rather strange is that in the back the left wheel is closer to the wheel well than the right. In fact it seems as if the left side is the only side that is rubbing????? Could this be the rims?

Well that is my story, please feel free to let me know what is it that you think is best I should do? Ofcoarse I am not going to leave these spacers on so maybe 10mm will work? but for sure I dont want that shaking.

PS: Tire/wheele sizes- 235-35-19f and 265-30-19r

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by I1 ULOOZ; 04-20-2004 at 08:52 PM.
Old 04-20-2004, 08:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
06 E55 current, M5 Sold, C32 Sold, 330xi Sold
maybe you should just get rid of the H&R springs seems like your problem is that your car is too low thats why its rubbing go with the renntech springs that should fix the rubbing if not that maybe a coilover set up?
Old 04-20-2004, 08:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well....I know I shouldnt say this, but....I told you not to get H&R springs.

I see you have these problems:

1) the wheels offsets are all wrong (which you should know by now). There isnt much that you can do about it, except adding spacers. What I dont get is you said 12mm spacers dont fit, what exactly did you do?? What is "cutting out the guide thing"??? If the 12mm spacers still dont clear the calipers, you should get 15mm. I am suspecting your Moven wheels have ET45 offset all around. In order to clear the front, you need at least ET30. Get yourself a nice pair of spacers (H&R or Eibach). Remember: not many companies can make flawless spacers. A slight impefection will cause your steering to shake. Thats why spacers are always not recommended. But in your case, you have no choice.

2) The springs are probably too low. See if you can raise the rear by changing to Dot 4 pads.

3) What tires are you using? I guess the sidewall of your tires might contribute to the rubbing as well. Take a look at the sidewall of the tires, see if you can find any scraps, many C32 owners experienced rubbing in the 10 o'clock area of the wheel (mostly on the right side), its because the edge of the bumper are cutting the sidewall. You have to use a dremel and shave it off a bit.

Good luck!!!!
Old 04-20-2004, 08:33 PM
I1 ULOOZ

I dont thing its is because of the h&r springs because it only rubs on the left side. Besides with the h&r springs it is only about and inch lower.
Old 04-20-2004, 08:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Re: Helphelphelphelp!!!

Originally posted by I1 ULOOZ
.... Third problem- Wheels/tires rubb when cornering. Whats rather strange is that in the back the left wheel is closer to the wheel well than the right. In fact it seems as if the right side is the only side that is rubbing????? Could this be the rims?....
Which side is rubbing? Left or right? The left side is closer but the right side is rubbing??
Old 04-20-2004, 08:49 PM
I1 ULOOZ

Harris,

First of all thanks for all your recomandations.

Now the reason the h&r 12mm spacer did no fit is because the wheel guide hole wouldnt allow the spacer to go all the way in where the wheel used to sit. Hopefully this makes some sence? So what I did was cut the wheele guide out and therfore making the spacer go in and sit flat like it is suppose to. The 12mm does clear the calipers but it just doesnt go in properly or go in at all.

I am using nitto tires.

What do you think about the the rear left (bieng the driver side) wheel/tire closer to the wheel well than the right? and how come that side is the side that is rubbing.
Old 04-20-2004, 08:50 PM
I1 ULOOZ

driver side is rubbing (left)

Thanks
Old 04-20-2004, 09:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Oh, ok....ic what you mean now. I think what you should do is to find someone to custom build a pair of spacers for you (if you really want to keep those wheels, and I assume you do). The wheels are not meant for your car. Thats when all the problem arise. You cant use those spacers with steering wheel shaking like Elvis!

Most of the cars are not perfectly balanced between left and right. How much lower is the left vs. the right? It might be normal that your car is heavier on the left side (if its not too obvious) or it might be an install problem, the spring might not sit well. I would suggest you to take it back to the place where you got the springs installed and address the problem to the mechanic. Tell him that you can't live with that look. 99% of the installers will not admit that they have made a mistake, but at least you have to let them know that something is not right and you want the problem solved.
Old 04-20-2004, 09:40 PM
I1 ULOOZ

I dont think I was clear about the left wheel/tire being closer to the wheel well. Its actually not lower than the right side but the wheel itself is closer to the wheel well. or in other words the left wheel looks like its pushed out more than the right so there for the gap is smaller and the wheel is closer to the medal of the car.

Thanks
Old 04-20-2004, 10:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK63 Black Series
I think you should sell the Movens and buy my HREs :v
Old 04-20-2004, 11:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I dont think I was clear about the left wheel/tire being closer to the wheel well. Its actually not lower than the right side but the wheel itself is closer to the wheel well. or in other words the left wheel looks like its pushed out more than the right so there for the gap is smaller and the wheel is closer to the medal of the car.

Thanks
Oh! In that case, I think its your wheel. Maybe they have different offsets left/right??? Have you checked?
Old 04-21-2004, 12:32 AM
I1 ULOOZ

Harris

This might sound domb but how exactly do I check the offsets

AMGBRED

Do they require spacers>? (if not)
Shoot me an email maybe we could work something out.
ozeruga@hotmail.com

Thanks

PS I am a lot less frustrated at this moment
Old 04-21-2004, 12:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Harris

This might sound domb but how exactly do I check the offsets

Take out the rear wheels, flip them over, either measure the Thickness of center hub between the two wheels or check the engraving.

Last edited by Harris; 04-21-2004 at 01:06 AM.
Old 04-21-2004, 10:42 AM

2003 C32 AMG
I had the same problems with my Movens

I have a C32. I lowered it with Renntech springs, and bought 19 inch Moven VI's.
from Sander at the Wheel Supply. the set up was 19x8.5 and 19x9.5 with nittos 555, in 235/35/19 and 265/30/19.

the rears fit perfectly, no rubbing at all, even with 2 people in the back seat.

BUT the fronts would not clear the brakes.

the 10mm H&R hubcentric spacers will not work. its because the wheel hub on the C32 is too long and wont allow the spacer to sit flush. You need a 10mm custom spacer with out the hubcentric "snout" or ring, to allow the wheels to clear the brakes. BUT, then here is where the shimmy and vibrations occur at almost any speed. it drove me crazy! You can custom bore the wheels to work. That was the only option I found to make the Movens work on the C32.
So I wasnt totally convinced this would alleviate the vibrations. So I sold my Movens back to the Wheel Supply, and Iam waiting for my Iforged rims. but... alas. that is another story....

basically, these wheels just dont work right for the c32.
Old 04-21-2004, 12:47 PM
I1 ULOOZ

Harris,

Okay, I checked the thickness of the center hubs of the wheels and the engraving and it looks to be identical.

rcalcaide,

"I have a C32. ....., and bought 19 inch Moven VI's.
from Sander at the Wheel Supply. the set up was 19x8.5 and 19x9.5 with nittos 555, in 235/35/19 and 265/30/19.

the rears fit perfectly, no rubbing at all, even with 2 people in the back seat."

That is the exact same set up I have but you see the wheel/tire on the rear left side (driver side) is the only one that rubs, the right side does not. Now when I run my fingers in between the tire and the top of the wheel well it is definatly noticible that that same side that rubs is closer to the metal of the car. It doesnt look like it is lowered more on one side but it looks as if the wheel sticks out more on that side??
Could this even be possible?

I am not an expert so correct me if I am wrong but here is what I think might be the problem.

1. Like harris said "the spring might not sit well"? Therfore changing the camber of the wheel and pushing the top of the wheel/tire out more?
2. Suspention problems?
3.???????????????

Thanks

Last edited by I1 ULOOZ; 04-21-2004 at 12:56 PM.
Old 04-21-2004, 12:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK63 Black Series
I1, i had the same problem when my car was lowered on H&R Cup Kits - My left side wheel sat closer to the body then the right side but when i took a measuring tape at it, it was in fact the car sitting lower on the left then the right. The install was perfect so there wasn't anything wrong with that.. it's just the way the car sat.. it was heavier on the left.

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...hlight=rubbing

since then, after listening to Harris, I "upgraded" to RennTech springs and stock AMG shocks.. the car seats level and i have absolutely no rubbing at all.
Old 04-22-2004, 01:35 AM
I1 ULOOZ

Originally posted by AMG BRED
I1, i had the same problem when my car was lowered on H&R Cup Kits - My left side wheel sat closer to the body then the right side but when i took a measuring tape at it, it was in fact the car sitting lower on the left then the right. The install was perfect so there wasn't anything wrong with that.. it's just the way the car sat.. it was heavier on the left.

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...hlight=rubbing

since then, after listening to Harris, I "upgraded" to RennTech springs and stock AMG shocks.. the car seats level and i have absolutely no rubbing at all.
I dont get how the renntech springs changed the fact of the left side being lower? wouldnt it be the same with renntech, h&r and the stock amg?

I talked with the guy from the shop who did my suspention install he says that mercedes and bmw sometimes have a thing where it is normal for one side to be a bit lower than the other from the factory? This information he got from the dealer after running into a similar problem while lowering a M5.

I guess the only solution is just to fix the rubbing on that one side and stop worrying about it! Now my only problem is getting rid of the wheels that were suppose to have fit!!!! and buying new ones.
Old 04-23-2004, 03:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

4 wheeled car.
Yo,

Ed got them wheels from me. You guys know me and my ****, and I'm straight up.

The wheels are perfect. One rim actually balanced perfect at TWS and requiered no weights.

What needs to be done is just common sense to someone like me who has 4 Mercedes lowered and rolling on 19's.

Drop the car, means you gotta roll the fenders.

Use a correct spacer, dont mickey mouse it yourself.

This may sound dumb, but check the bolts! What seat is it? Tapered or ball seat? Makes a difference whether or not your **** will wabble like it's doing the Harlem shake.

The wheels should fit if you got them to work already.

Like I said to you in email, I assumed you knew it was gonna fit since you had consulted TWS regarding the wheels prior to dealing with me. You never asked me for the Offset (shoot, I don't even know it), and you never asked me if they were gonna fit yo ride. All you told me was that you were gonna put them on your C32.

Anyway, get the fenders rolled, get the proper spacers, and all that stuff should work properly.

Best of luck to you.
Old 04-24-2004, 06:02 AM
I1 ULOOZ

Originally posted by The Doctor
Yo,

Ed got them wheels from me. You guys know me and my ****, and I'm straight up.

The wheels are perfect. One rim actually balanced perfect at TWS and requiered no weights.

What needs to be done is just common sense to someone like me who has 4 Mercedes lowered and rolling on 19's.

Drop the car, means you gotta roll the fenders.

Use a correct spacer, dont mickey mouse it yourself.

This may sound dumb, but check the bolts! What seat is it? Tapered or ball seat? Makes a difference whether or not your **** will wabble like it's doing the Harlem shake.

The wheels should fit if you got them to work already.

Like I said to you in email, I assumed you knew it was gonna fit since you had consulted TWS regarding the wheels prior to dealing with me. You never asked me for the Offset (shoot, I don't even know it), and you never asked me if they were gonna fit yo ride. All you told me was that you were gonna put them on your C32.

Anyway, get the fenders rolled, get the proper spacers, and all that stuff should work properly.

Best of luck to you.
FIRST OF ALL, "Drop the car, means you gotta roll the fenders."
I do not bealieve that this is true for all vehicles, infact I know it is not. It depends on many other factors!

"Use a correct spacer, dont mickey mouse it yourself."
Do you know how to read in english well??? If so please read above before posting some thing rather strange! But let me repeat ones more, I used 5mm spacers, than 12mm spacers both from H&R and neither of them worked. Thanks to rcalcaide I didnt end up wasting more money because we know now that even factory 10mm spacers wont work either.

"This may sound dumb, but check the bolts! What seat is it? Tapered or ball seat?"
That was one of the first thing my mechanic looked into.

"since you had consulted TWS regarding the wheels prior to dealing with me."
I have no idea what you are talking about because I dont know what TWS is or who it is?

"All you told me was that you were gonna put them on your C32."
And I bealive your reply was positive, maybe you shouldnt assume next time?

"Anyway, get the fenders rolled, get the proper spacers, and all that stuff should work properly."
After reading the emails you sent me, to me this means " screw you I got your money now and theres nothing you can do about it"; and yes I do agree with you but those that go in deceite full ways will not go far!

PS: If possible in the future do not contact me again.

Thank you Edward
Old 04-24-2004, 07:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

4 wheeled car.
lol I just got your email, man you're one of a kind. Saying the rims are so damaged that you can't clean them up. Go lie elsewhere. My rims are in the same condition as I had them at HIN. People saw my car there, they know my **** and that I take care of it. Yes I did send them to you dirty and a week late, which is unlike I originally promised, but that's the only mistakes I have made, for which I have fessed up and apologized for.

For you not taking the responsibility to do your own research, or asking me whether or not the wheels fit prior to purchase, is solely YOUR fault. Don't blame it on me boy. I've been straight up with you, but you're having buyer's remorse.
Old 04-24-2004, 08:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK63 Black Series
fellas fellas.. we are getting off-track here.. fighting amongst ourselves isn't going to resolve any problems at hand.. please stop accusing who's at fault and work to a solution. this board is to help each other.. not to accuse each other of wrong doing.
Old 04-24-2004, 01:19 PM
I1 ULOOZ

Originally posted by AMG BRED
fellas fellas.. we are getting off-track here.. fighting amongst ourselves isn't going to resolve any problems at hand.. please stop accusing who's at fault and work to a solution. this board is to help each other.. not to accuse each other of wrong doing.
I agree.

"Doctor" You say what ever you wanna say but Im done with what I had to say!
Old 04-24-2004, 02:47 PM
rrf

From the factory, some C32's are not the EXACT same distance for wheel clearance even with OEM wheels, [this seems to be especially true in the rear]. I am referring to 'in/out' not 'up/down' though. Test this by measuring fender clearance with your OEM wheels. To test higher/lower, simply measure from center of wheel cap to wheel arch. I bet you have an in/out problem.

Whenever 9.5s are installed they exaggerate any vehicle error, but they still need the exact offset. Even with the perfect offset one side can fit and the other may rub slightly. This depends on your car.

One thing you can be sure of: If offsets are wrong it will probably rub on both sides.

If in/out clearnace is close, shave the inner wheel well on the offending side with a dremel tool (driver's in this case). When you look, you'll probably see it will be rubbing at the seam for the rear bumper. Many people have had to perform this shave mod wth their 9.5s, about half of them only had rubbing on one side.

A lower drop will make any rubbing worse, but once it is shaved correctly a little more drop can be added. Drop will add to the problem but is not the root of it. Spring choice shouldn't matter.
But if for some strange reason you do happen to have up/down problems, use the OEM spring spacers! You can install a #3 on one side and a #2 on the other, Why not?

Vibration: if you you need to use spacers, they need to be perfect spacers, WITH a lip configuration. Don't forget the wheel balance, but I think your vibration is a spacer seating issue.
Use a machine shop to make the spacer's lip fit the wheel.
Sounds like you messed up the other spacers, and will need another set to fit.

Best Luck
Old 04-25-2004, 12:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

4 wheeled car.
I learned my lesson to never sell **** to little kids who drive the benz mommy bought them, especially those kids who don't know **** about modding cars.

Bon vent pede!
Old 04-26-2004, 06:35 PM
I1 ULOOZ

Originally posted by The Doctor
I learned my lesson to never sell **** to little kids who drive the benz mommy bought them, especially those kids who don't know **** about modding cars.

Bon vent pede!
Huh???? are you lying again?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.