C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

What's the longest drive you've had to do in your amg?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-08-2018, 03:25 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
2001 ML55 Designo, 2004 C32 AMG, RIP 2005 Volvo s40 2.4i
What's the longest drive you've had to do in your amg?

I just came back this morning around 4 am from a 850 mile round trip to Nocal. I went from the greater LA area all the way to SF. The first drive was pretty much 410-420 miles with only two stops. One for food and the next one for food again. It rained half the time there but the 32 was going strong. I cruised 55-65 most of the way (5 fwy so it was a semi empty long road) I got there on 1 tank of gas and still had a good amount left upon arrival. I bought a project designo amg and boy am I glad I don't have to sell my 32 anymore. I used AAA to get it 400 miles back home. I payed less than 50 bucks to get it towed because I used 400 free miles and then I had to pay a bit extra for some of the miles that exceeded the 100 limit. I'd rather have payed 50 bux than over 200 for some uhaul or out of pocket tow.
it took most of the day getting it back and lots of stops to wait for the tow truck to arrive to gas stations. I also let my car cool down on those stops for about 35-45 minutes. I was burning rubber on the last 100 miles tow. I was going down grapevine road till I passed Glendale at an easy 75-80 cause it was so open and smooth.

My point in all of this is that I might not be crazy about modding my car like some of y'all have, are doing, or plan to do but I'm sure as hell glad that I got this car stock at an amazing deal over a year ago and it's been crazy reliable other than some oversights and required maintenance. I'm also grateful that I have y'all to help with almost everything on this thing. I can keep it running forever and for cheap too! Well, now that I have a project amg, I'll be on another forum to get it running and sorted but I'll also stay here in case my 32 needs some help. Obviously I'll go through old threads before asking something but I want to thank y'all for answering my posts and helping me keep my 32 running. Obrigado

Last edited by Oshkoshbigjosh; 04-08-2018 at 03:29 PM.
Old 04-08-2018, 07:19 PM

Received 222 Likes on 165 Posts
'08 S550 P3; Golf Carts; MT Bike; Scooters
1300 miles Denver to Portland towing a small trailer. Two days of driving, 22 mpg & averaged over 60 mph the whole trip.
Good luck with your new project.
Old 04-08-2018, 09:45 PM

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts
2006 C55
I bought my C55 in October from a Lexus dealer in Englewood, NJ and drove it home to DFW. That was 1630 miles including the stop in NYC and driving through West Virginia.
In January I loaded up a couple friends and we made a 980 mile run to Corpus Christi with a big detour through central Texas and a stop in Fredericksburg on the way home.
In February, I made a 1200 mile trip from DFW to southern Louisiana that included significant driving while down there.

So far, I've seen a high of 23 mpg for a full tank on road trips but it drops to 21-22 when running 80 mph. Sadly, 300 miles is about all it'll do without really trying to stretch it.

That's about all the road trips I made between October 2017 and February 2018. Add in the fact that I have a daily commute that is nearly 60 miles and it's easy to see how I've racked up more than 10,000 miles in the 6 months I've owned it.

You don't want me to bring my 92 Dodge diesel into this discussion. It's been coast to coast. One trip in it started in DFW, went to El Paso, Phoenix, New Jersey, Chicago, Milwaukee, Saint Louis, and back to DFW. In that order. Towing a car trailer.

Last edited by feets; 04-08-2018 at 09:54 PM.
Old 04-08-2018, 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by kbob999
1300 miles Denver to Portland towing a small trailer. Two days of driving, 22 mpg & averaged over 60 mph the whole trip.
Good luck with your new project.

holy hell 22 mpg on 1300 miles while towing... that's pretty damn efficient. Was it mostly all in one go or you stopped in between a number of miles?

I averaged 24-26 on 800 and achieved it by letting all the cars whiz by me or tail me with an open lane next to
me. 10/10 would cruise at speed limit again

thanks and good luck selling your 32. I had trouble with low ballers, tire kickers, and joy riders trying to sell mine at a loss. Yours is 10 times cleaner so it should attract a more suited buyer.

Last edited by Oshkoshbigjosh; 04-08-2018 at 09:56 PM.
Old 04-09-2018, 01:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C55 amg
I did a 1000 Mile road rally in the c55. Came out around 1500 miles round trip. It wasn't in the best of shape to go on the rally due to the a small leak in the radiator and intake manifold gasket that happened two days before the start. But, i still was pushing the car constantly and it didn't break down, overheat, or act up once. (I took it all apart after the rally and everything was happy) These cars, c55 and c32, are quite reliable even with mods done.
Old 04-09-2018, 02:42 PM

Received 105 Likes on 80 Posts
2013 c63 Magnuson SCed
Only two longer trips in my C55 in 7 years. Once on the day I bought it in Raleigh, NC to the Dayton, OH area (8-ish hrs.) and once from Dayton-ish to Hilton Head. Averaged 23.5mpg running the A/C and doing ~ 75-80mph.. Packing for 4 with 3 of them being females can be a bit rough, but I just have to get stern about packing light. Comfort-wise we we're good but my girls were only 4' tall then. My now 13 year old is a bit cramped in back at 5'6" anymore, so the wife's LS460 has taken over family duties and I'm perfectly happy with that.
Old 04-09-2018, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by feets
I bought my C55 in October from a Lexus dealer in Englewood, NJ and drove it home to DFW. That was 1630 miles including the stop in NYC and driving through West Virginia.
In January I loaded up a couple friends and we made a 980 mile run to Corpus Christi with a big detour through central Texas and a stop in Fredericksburg on the way home.
In February, I made a 1200 mile trip from DFW to southern Louisiana that included significant driving while down there.

So far, I've seen a high of 23 mpg for a full tank on road trips but it drops to 21-22 when running 80 mph. Sadly, 300 miles is about all it'll do without really trying to stretch it.

That's about all the road trips I made between October 2017 and February 2018. Add in the fact that I have a daily commute that is nearly 60 miles and it's easy to see how I've racked up more than 10,000 miles in the 6 months I've owned it.

You don't want me to bring my 92 Dodge diesel into this discussion. It's been coast to coast. One trip in it started in DFW, went to El Paso, Phoenix, New Jersey, Chicago, Milwaukee, Saint Louis, and back to DFW. In that order. Towing a car trailer.
Seems like youve put more than faith in your 55 when it comes to long distance driving
22 mpg at 80 isnt too bad for v8! man it seems like i've some road trips to do to have some stories. thanks for sharing
I can understand an old dodge. My pops had his dodge van since 85 and only this year did it finally crap out. The memories of roadtrips in that thing. over 400k on the same motor and trans. It was a petrol motor but im sure a diesel is just as good if not better.
Old 04-09-2018, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by Haakon
I did a 1000 Mile road rally in the c55. Came out around 1500 miles round trip. It wasn't in the best of shape to go on the rally due to the a small leak in the radiator and intake manifold gasket that happened two days before the start. But, i still was pushing the car constantly and it didn't break down, overheat, or act up once. (I took it all apart after the rally and everything was happy) These cars, c55 and c32, are quite reliable even with mods done.
How was the drive back after pushing it so much? were you driving like a granny or doing routine stops to check up on it?

I agree on the reliability. Before buying I looked into so much and when I compared it to an s4 or m3, the 203 was clearly the right choice for me. Best decision ever. As for mods, I meant to say that whether its stock or modded, these things are tried and true. I can't believe there isn't a whole lot of interest in these 203's. I know they arent really classics or collectibles (maybe to some) but man are they worth every penny if you happen on a good one. It's unfortunate that there are some that have come across more problems than others. Thanks for sharing
Old 04-09-2018, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by Accidental L8 apex
Only two longer trips in my C55 in 7 years. Once on the day I bought it in Raleigh, NC to the Dayton, OH area (8-ish hrs.) and once from Dayton-ish to Hilton Head. Averaged 23.5mpg running the A/C and doing ~ 75-80mph.. Packing for 4 with 3 of them being females can be a bit rough, but I just have to get stern about packing light. Comfort-wise we we're good but my girls were only 4' tall then. My now 13 year old is a bit cramped in back at 5'6" anymore, so the wife's LS460 has taken over family duties and I'm perfectly happy with that.
was the 8hr trip pretty much one go or were you stopping for things or were you stopping and checking up on it since it was new to you? 23 mpg going 80 seems to be a trend with others. seems worth it to increase my speed to 75 if i'm only losing 2 more miles on the gallon. You did such a long trip with added weight, nice. I would ask how the car did with the additional weight but the v8 can manage much more w no problems. I can attest to the comfort of all seats. (i've had to camp/sleep in my 32 a few times). They are comfortable for sure but only for so long. Thanks for sharing
Old 04-09-2018, 06:59 PM

2006 C55
I stand 6' tall and tip the scales at 225. The 203 is a bit tight for me to spend much time in. Still, I've obviously road tripped it.
In the not-too-distant future the 203 will likely be passed over for road trips. The 7.2 liter engine for my 1972 Chrysler Imperial is going back together. That is one of the greatest road trip cars man has ever known. I was able to hot shot it from DFW to Detroit, MI in a day and a half then spend the next 5 days coming home on the Hot Rod Power Tour. Not once did I feel cramped or uncomfortable. At 236" in length it's a foot and a half longer than the current S class and the seats are like riding your couch down the highway. Yeah, mpg will suffer but I really don't care.
Old 04-09-2018, 07:13 PM

Received 105 Likes on 80 Posts
2013 c63 Magnuson SCed
Originally Posted by Oshkoshbigjosh
was the 8hr trip pretty much one go or were you stopping for things or were you stopping and checking up on it since it was new to you? 23 mpg going 80 seems to be a trend with others. seems worth it to increase my speed to 75 if i'm only losing 2 more miles on the gallon. You did such a long trip with added weight, nice. I would ask how the car did with the additional weight but the v8 can manage much more w no problems. I can attest to the comfort of all seats. (i've had to camp/sleep in my 32 a few times). They are comfortable for sure but only for so long. Thanks for sharing
I only stopped for gas and relief of my nethers as I really wanted to get my new car home. Had a quick highway run with an e46 M3 and had to show them my exhaust tips a few times, got a thumbs up and mostly behaved for the 8 hrs..

The trip to and from Hilton Head (overated and too touristy) the car was a bit light up front due to so much packed into the trunk. Other than a bit of ***-sag to and fro, it was uneventful, which is what you want when trying to get to the beach for a week.

Even with the wife's LS, I much prefer to take my car unless we have 3 or more. Space for three lanky teens in the Lexus cant be beat for a sedan, but actually driving it is like trying to eat right after a cavity-filling dental visit. You can't feel a damn thing and by the time you do, you've chewed through your own cheek. We've owned it for 2 years now and I've yet to come anywhere near an apex in it.

I may just keep c55 until it rusts away somewhere. Only a w204 c63 interests me otherwise. Trying to stay with the NA V8s as they're all going away.
Old 04-10-2018, 10:25 AM

holy hell 22 mpg on 1300 miles while towing... that's pretty damn efficient. Was it mostly all in one go or you stopped in between a number of miles?
Trailer was a low profile 4x6, with maybe 600 pounds on it. It was in the slip stream of the car, so no drag to speak of.
I've also gone to 245/45/17 tires rear, which drops the rpm just a bit. 235/45/17 up front to balance it out.
The sweet spot for mpg seems to be 55-65. Any faster and it starts to go down.
We stopped for potty, food, gas, hotel. Otherwise it was cruise control set all day.
Old 04-10-2018, 02:32 PM

C55 amg
How was the drive back after pushing it so much? were you driving like a granny or doing routine stops to check up on it?

I agree on the reliability. Before buying I looked into so much and when I compared it to an s4 or m3, the 203 was clearly the right choice for me. Best decision ever. As for mods, I meant to say that whether its stock or modded, these things are tried and true. I can't believe there isn't a whole lot of interest in these 203's. I know they arent really classics or collectibles (maybe to some) but man are they worth every penny if you happen on a good one. It's unfortunate that there are some that have come across more problems than others. Thanks for sharing
After the first day of stopping at some of the check points we figured out how long before it needed a top off. After driving at high speeds for a long time it's hard to slow down lucky no ticket for us but the drive back was still faster then I would normally go. Ran into a couple of people who wanted to race on the trip home and I could not resist. The car acted very nicely the whole way home.
I find it sad that these cars aren't supported more in the aftermarket industry. This is my 2nd favorite Mercedes of it generation. Not a fan of the looks of the other Mercedes from this time but I'm glad people enjoy there cars.
Old 04-10-2018, 03:08 PM

AMG C55, BMW 330e Hybrid saloon, BMW 123d coupe
Longest single trip

A number of years ago we did 1000 Km return trip from Addo Elephant Park, Eastern Cape, South Africa to Cape Town in the Western Cape in 8 hours. We only stopped once to gas the C55 and have a coffee and pee break. Our fuel consumption was about 9.8 - 10 litres / 100 Km. Not bad (even by todays standards) considering the continuous drive at 120-160 km/hr. We want to have a proper fish dinner down in our local harbour upon return and not snack at roadside coffee shops. All went fine but I was wired upon return as driving in Africa demands concentration. A memorable trip all the same.
Old 04-11-2018, 06:19 PM

Trailer was a low profile 4x6, with maybe 600 pounds on it. It was in the slip stream of the car, so no drag to speak of.
I've also gone to 245/45/17 tires rear, which drops the rpm just a bit. 235/45/17 up front to balance it out.
The sweet spot for mpg seems to be 55-65. Any faster and it starts to go down.
We stopped for potty, food, gas, hotel. Otherwise it was cruise control set all day.
Wow...I really wanted to tow the ml55 i bought with my car and I did some research and found very little info. What was the most weight youve towed? Great mpg considering you were doing some stops in between with added weight
Old 04-11-2018, 06:25 PM

I stand 6' tall and tip the scales at 225. The 203 is a bit tight for me to spend much time in. Still, I've obviously road tripped it.
In the not-too-distant future the 203 will likely be passed over for road trips. The 7.2 liter engine for my 1972 Chrysler Imperial is going back together. That is one of the greatest road trip cars man has ever known. I was able to hot shot it from DFW to Detroit, MI in a day and a half then spend the next 5 days coming home on the Hot Rod Power Tour. Not once did I feel cramped or uncomfortable. At 236" in length it's a foot and a half longer than the current S class and the seats are like riding your couch down the highway. Yeah, mpg will suffer but I really don't care.
You push the seat all the way back and let the pour soul who sat you behind you suffer, you monster lol I'm not very tall and it doesnt feel cramped, but it is a bit small in the cabin. Plus the seats are angled downward so they start to make your rear a bit sore after sometime. I just stuff a pillow for lumbar support. I dont know much about the chrysler you mentioned but if we are talking sofa like seats, the volvo v70 has some crazy comfy seats.Why arent all cars equipped with such comfy seats? Good luck on putting it back together, must be fun knowing you did most if not all the work yourself. I can't wait to get started on my project ml55.
Old 04-11-2018, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by Accidental L8 apex
I only stopped for gas and relief of my nethers as I really wanted to get my new car home. Had a quick highway run with an e46 M3 and had to show them my exhaust tips a few times, got a thumbs up and mostly behaved for the 8 hrs..

The trip to and from Hilton Head (overated and too touristy) the car was a bit light up front due to so much packed into the trunk. Other than a bit of ***-sag to and fro, it was uneventful, which is what you want when trying to get to the beach for a week.

Even with the wife's LS, I much prefer to take my car unless we have 3 or more. Space for three lanky teens in the Lexus cant be beat for a sedan, but actually driving it is like trying to eat right after a cavity-filling dental visit. You can't feel a damn thing and by the time you do, you've chewed through your own cheek. We've owned it for 2 years now and I've yet to come anywhere near an apex in it.

I may just keep c55 until it rusts away somewhere. Only a w204 c63 interests me otherwise. Trying to stay with the NA V8s as they're all going away.
I had zero encounters with any car trying to race me, it was mostly econoboxes going over 85 to pass me on the person that just passed me, etc.. I didn't realize how fast a nissan versa can be when the owner just doesnt care and floors it. Even in the heavy rain when I slowed back down to 55, people were tailing me with open lanes all across the highway. zero performance cars, just regular cars speeding and being dangerous.
Yes, as much little problems as possible and its good to hear that adding weight doesnt really mess with the car (it shouldnt anyway). I wanted to upgrade to a c55 a few months after I bought the c32 but it sold for cheap so fast but it also had more damage and missing some things in the car. I agree with the NA v8 thing, I like my 32 a lot but I wanted 55 for longer than I wanted a 32 just because of how straightforward the power is and the relatively simple engine. I would totally save for a 63 but considering the brakes, rotors, and tires alone can be upwards to 2000, and the added fact of the 6.2 being problematic if not taken care of. I'll stick my cheap 203. the first generation 63's are sooo nice though.

Last edited by Oshkoshbigjosh; 04-11-2018 at 06:40 PM.
Old 04-11-2018, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by Haakon
After the first day of stopping at some of the check points we figured out how long before it needed a top off. After driving at high speeds for a long time it's hard to slow down lucky no ticket for us but the drive back was still faster then I would normally go. Ran into a couple of people who wanted to race on the trip home and I could not resist. The car acted very nicely the whole way home.
I find it sad that these cars aren't supported more in the aftermarket industry. This is my 2nd favorite Mercedes of it generation. Not a fan of the looks of the other Mercedes from this time but I'm glad people enjoy there cars.
I agree when you floor it and you know it wont be stopping anytime soon, going over 75 just kind of happens. I usually do the "check all mirrors and sides" eye shifting and then smirk. This thing is impressive. I think the quad exhausts are kind of asking for it. Because I have dual exhausts (which is on pretty much every other 230), I feel like people just don't believe its a real amg and don't even bother. Good to hear that the cars can be trusted for long distances if maintained properly. If only it didnt cost a fortune (to me personally) to get it to 400+ hp. I really wanted to mod it but it just isn't a smart financial move. I love these generation mercs only by their mechanical aspect because parts are abundant and they extremely diy friendly. I dig the looks but agree when some people say they look dated. My next project if I find it, is a higher milage slk32. I'm afraid even after that, 3 amg's wont be enough lol
Old 04-11-2018, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by sciencebod
A number of years ago we did 1000 Km return trip from Addo Elephant Park, Eastern Cape, South Africa to Cape Town in the Western Cape in 8 hours. We only stopped once to gas the C55 and have a coffee and pee break. Our fuel consumption was about 9.8 - 10 litres / 100 Km. Not bad (even by todays standards) considering the continuous drive at 120-160 km/hr. We want to have a proper fish dinner down in our local harbour upon return and not snack at roadside coffee shops. All went fine but I was wired upon return as driving in Africa demands concentration. A memorable trip all the same.
Nice to see some out of the US stories here. Is there a mbworld for other countries or something because they everyone but the US has the estate versions and I can't believe there isn't any love or updates for them now in 2018. One fill up for a nice trip is awesome. I thought I would surely fill up 3 times or more but it was 2 fill ups round trip for me. Proper fish dinner > regular fish dinner any day mate. thanks for sharing
Old 04-12-2018, 10:17 AM

What was the most weight you've towed? Great mpg considering you were doing some stops in between with added weight
I've only pulled about 600 pounds, but have no doubt it could pull 1000. Once you are on cruise and not stopping you get great mpg. Tailwinds help
Old 04-23-2018, 03:05 AM

I've only pulled about 600 pounds, but have no doubt it could pull 1000. Once you are on cruise and not stopping you get great mpg. Tailwinds help

sorry for never getting back, you don't have to reply to this. I'm glad you posted a pic of your tow setup for your 32 because I really wanted to know what my 32 was capable of towing. I'll definitely be buying a tow hitch for mine as I would love to take it on some trips with a small trailer carrying gear for fishing and camping. Good to see a 32 getting good use out of its power outside of performance. Your picture reminds me of that YouTube video with the e55 wagon smoking the 350z while towing a John Deere in the back. I bet a 32 wouldn't be to far off.
Old 04-23-2018, 06:31 PM

2006 C55
I dont know much about the chrysler you mentioned but if we are talking sofa like seats, the volvo v70 has some crazy comfy seats.Why arent all cars equipped with such comfy seats?
The 1972 Chrysler Imperial is a monster that is almost a foot longer than a Maybach 57 and only a few inches shorter than a Maybach 62. Granted, most of it is hood but there's plenty of early 1970s comfort to be found.

These seats are big and poofy. Because of that, they will not hold you in your seat when cornering. This is just a highway cruiser.
Old 04-26-2018, 08:41 PM

The 1972 Chrysler Imperial is a monster that is almost a foot longer than a Maybach 57 and only a few inches shorter than a Maybach 62. Granted, most of it is hood but there's plenty of early 1970s comfort to be found.

These seats are big and poofy. Because of that, they will not hold you in your seat when cornering. This is just a highway cruiser.
I wouldnt get mad at someone driving a laz boy while cruising 55 on the hwy just because I see now how dangerously comfortable those seats look. Those seats are absurd compared to whats on the market now. Imagine if you fitted some massaging technology into them?
Old 05-04-2018, 10:16 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
'02 AMG C32, Mk5 VW R32, #2469/5000
I haven't had my C32 for long, but I flew to North Carolina to buy it and then drove it straight home, about 900 miles. Drove straight through, only stopping for fuel and a couple bites to eat, and took almost exactly 13 hours. Down south where the speed limit was 70, and averaging 80 wasn't a problem, I was getting 26mpg. As I got into the lower speed limits up north my average speed dropped down to 60-65 and my mpg dropped to 24.5... still a lot better than I was expecting. Mixed daily driving I'm getting 21.5... only half mpg less than my R32 and yet this thing makes 100 more horsepower, lol. I love it.
Old 05-19-2018, 09:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E36M3 race car/Ferrari F355 GTS/1973 Mini 1275GT/Fiat Abarth/ML63/SLK55
23 hrs.

Key West back home to CT, non stop.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: What's the longest drive you've had to do in your amg?