C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Dealer put 50 miles on car while working on warranty

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-29-2004, 07:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dealer put 50 miles on car while working on warranty

Has anyone ever gotten their car back with 50+ miles on it? I took it in for 8 things:
four of which had been diagnosed already(so they did not require driving to fix/diagnose). Here are the remaining four:
1. Squeaky sways bushings
2. Flapping noise from dask at low speeds 0-10 mph on deceleration
3. Squeaky wipers
4. Smart key not working.

They kept the car 8 days since loaners are three weeks out and they were short staffed so they did not start on it until four days after I dropped it off.

Why would they need to put 50 miles on the car. Tires are aggressively worn like after a autocross. Not sure they did this, but just noticed it today.

Anyone have any similar expierence? What should I do?
Old 05-29-2004, 08:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A bucket on wheels
you should have gotten a piece of paper saying the mileage at time of drop off and mileage at time of pick up. This is unacceptable in my opinion. If you dropped off your car for items that required driving to test out then it is understandable however you stated it was un necessary. Go and raise hell with the service manager. If tires are noticeably worn down then request i would be even more pissed. hope everything works out.
Old 05-29-2004, 08:15 PM

i bet you someone took it out for a "drive"
Old 05-29-2004, 08:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1997 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
That is excessive mileage given the repairs. The only thing needing any kind of road test was the squeaky bushing noise, and they didn't need to put 50 miles on it for that.
Old 05-29-2004, 08:42 PM

Mileage is documented. They record the mileage on my service ticket at entry. And I recorded my mileage at pickup.

Dropoff: 22447
Pickup: 22498

Total mileage during service work was 51 miles.
Old 06-01-2004, 09:36 AM

thats pretty BS'ty to me. I thikn about 20 max would be right...

Talk to the manager, if you dont get anywhere, calmly walk away telling them you will contact MB customer service...that will get their attention real quick.
Old 06-01-2004, 09:44 AM

2009 GT-R
The last time I took my car in, I also had this happen. When I complained and said that I did not have problems requiring driving, so why are there all these extra miles on my car? Their response was that they are required to drive all cars that are getting warranty work done. The dealership would not tell me the “minimum required drive,” and all they really did was dance around the subject. Eventually, the service guy just said they don’t necessarily put the number of miles on your car that they record in the paperwork. And, if I checked the actual mileage on my car when I left it, it would not show all the mileage stated in the paperwork. Since I had never figured on having this problem, I had not checked the mileage when I dropped off the car - so I could not prove it true or false.

Mr. mbtech208, is this true (you guys have to drive all cars requiring warranty work) or were they just bull****ting me so I would shut-up and let the mileage thing go?
Old 06-01-2004, 12:31 PM

SLK32
I usually keep an eye on the mileage when I drop my car off and when I pick it up. A couple of times I have gotten it back with just 1 or 2 tenths of a mile put on. This most recent time they put 30 miles on it. I normally would have said something but I am still trying to get them to fix a shifting issue I am having.
Old 06-01-2004, 12:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK63 Black Series
maybe he had drive 25 miles to get to a thunderstorm to test out the new wipers :o
Old 06-02-2004, 10:47 PM

2013 c300 4matic, 2002 c240
i also write down the mileage. but in addition, i also turn the car in with very low fuel (about 1-2 gallons). the warning pops up right in their face and effects them psychologically, i believe, in driving anywhere farther than a mile...unless they fill up (which i doubt since the dealer is so cheap and no mechanic is just going to pay it)
Old 06-03-2004, 01:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63
50 MILES!!!!!!

That is not right at all. I would go to my dealer right away and demand an expalnation.
Old 06-06-2004, 03:41 AM

2003 Nissan 350Z
I had my sway bar rod links replaced and they put on 3 miles for that. 50 is waaaaaay too much...b!tch-out the service manager.
Old 06-06-2004, 06:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

NA
Don't get mad.. get even!

Mr. sxgt:
Originally posted by sxgt
Has anyone ever gotten their car back with 50+ miles on it? I took it in for 8 things:
four of which had been diagnosed already(so they did not require driving to fix/diagnose). Here are the remaining four:
1. Squeaky sways bushings
2. Flapping noise from dask at low speeds 0-10 mph on deceleration
3. Squeaky wipers
4. Smart key not working.

They kept the car 8 days since loaners are three weeks out and they were short staffed so they did not start on it until four days after I dropped it off.

Why would they need to put 50 miles on the car. Tires are aggressively worn like after a autocross. Not sure they did this, but just noticed it today.

Anyone have any similar expierence? What should I do?
For the mileage that was put in your car, besides what has been suggested on replies on this post, you can opt to call Mercedes Benz Cust Serv. and present your case... most likely, you will need to have an idea of what you want to "resolve" this matter. Requesting a mileage "refund" may not be what you have in mind (or would that do it?), you can request to have some "complimentary work done" in your car as restitution for the mileage that was put (like say, illuminated door sills, or something that you want to have done ). The Mercedes Benz cust. service number is listed on your car owener's manual .

Another option is, that as result of your call to the Mercedes Benz customer service center, you will receive a survey in the mail, if you don't give them an "excellent" rating, the service advisor who wrote up your repair order(s) WILL be financially sanctioned (each service advisor receives a "bonus" each month assuming they will get always an "excellent" rating... if they don't, they can be affected aprox 2grand on their monthly take.. if that happens... THAT will get his/her attention for sure).. the only problem with that is that I don't think you will making "friends" with that service advisor going forward, so chances are you may want to look for another dealership to have your car serviced going forward

Wiedermann
Old 06-06-2004, 07:50 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
some slow@$$diesels
If I would be bringing in a car for rattling/squeeking noises I rather would see that somebody actuallt drove around with the car and get the annoying noises taken care off then getting my car back with a statement that the noises have been taken care off without anybody driven the car at all...

greetingz,