C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

BAD NEWS!!! C32 3000$ diagnoses

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-12-2018, 03:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C32 AMG
BAD NEWS!!! C32 3000$ diagnoses

Long story Short 4inches of water covered the Engine Control Module & Front SAM. Both needs replaced and was quoted $3000.

Any other solutions for outsourcing parts for cheaper than dealership. They said if I am able to find parts and install with my mechanic then they will be able to program.
Old 09-12-2018, 06:01 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
'02 AMG C32, Mk5 VW R32, #2469/5000
Originally Posted by amgrobaspach
Long story Short 4inches of water covered the Engine Control Module & Front SAM. Both needs replaced and was quoted $3000.

Any other solutions for outsourcing parts for cheaper than dealership. They said if I am able to find parts and install with my mechanic then they will be able to program.
Really sorry to hear that! I don't know where you're located, but if there's a Pull-A-Part anywhere within driving distance, they'll be worth trying. Fixed prices no matter what kind of car the parts come from, but you have to pull them yourself. I think computer modules were $30 each last time I was there. You can check inventories at their locations online: https://www.pullapart.com
Old 09-13-2018, 09:42 AM

C32 AMG
I found some used and new SAM’s and ECU on eBay for around 100-200$.

curious if the part has to come from another C32AMG or can it be from another W203 model ?
Old 09-13-2018, 12:56 PM

I found some used and new SAM’s and ECU on eBay for around 100-200$.

curious if the part has to come from another C32AMG or can it be from another W203 model ?
I was under the impression they are the same part # for any W203, but of course you'd have to get them reprogrammed. Maybe someone here can confirm?
Old 09-13-2018, 01:23 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
2006 C55 - 2005 C230 - 1998 E36 M3
A used Engine Control Module must be send out to a company that can erase the information in it and leave it blank as it would be if you were to buy it new. It will not work if you just plug it in to your car. Then you must must take the car to somebody that can program it to the vehicle. One of them would be your local dealership.
Old 09-13-2018, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by Bobbyr5
A used Engine Control Module must be send out to a company that can erase the information in it and leave it blank as it would be if you were to buy it new. It will not work if you just plug it in to your car. Then you must must take the car to somebody that can program it to the vehicle. One of them would be your local dealership.
Wow, any idea why that is? As a software and computer hardware guy, I'm really surprised by that.
Old 09-13-2018, 03:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 926 Likes on 718 Posts
'99 and '05 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by mars-red
Wow, any idea why that is? As a software and computer hardware guy, I'm really surprised by that.
It is intended as a theft deterrent. You have to code the new Motor Electronics (ME) module to the car using the VIN. After approximately 30-50 power cycles, it is burned into the memory. I have no idea if they use a fuse or anti-fuse or a software counter to do so. When you power up the car, the steering lock, the ignition lock, and ME all communicate with each other to verify all numbers match. If good, steering wheel unlocks, ignition lock turns, and the ME activates a relay to the starter solenoid.

Otherwise one could just tow a nice new Mercedes, plug in another ME module, and enjoy the stolen car. This way someone has to have knowledge and equipment to program the replacement unit to the car.

This link will tell you everything you want to know:
http://benzbits.com/DAS.pdf
Old 09-13-2018, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by bbirdwell
It is intended as a theft deterrent. You have to code the new Motor Electronics (ME) module to the car using the VIN. After approximately 30-50 power cycles, it is burned into the memory. I have no idea if they use a fuse or anti-fuse or a software counter to do so. When you power up the car, the steering lock, the ignition lock, and ME all communicate with each other to verify all numbers match. If good, steering wheel unlocks, ignition lock turns, and the ME activates a relay to the starter solenoid.

Otherwise one could just tow a nice new Mercedes, plug in another ME module, and enjoy the stolen car. This way someone has to have knowledge and equipment to program the replacement unit to the car.

This link will tell you everything you want to know:
http://benzbits.com/DAS.pdf
That is fantastic information, thank you!
Old 09-13-2018, 08:35 PM

C32 AMG
Thanks guys, I was well informed that I would have to pay fo programming separate. My Dealer charges 150$ for programming. How difficult is installing a new ECU and SAM, how long is general labor on something like this?
Old 09-13-2018, 08:54 PM

C32 AMG
I found a used ECU on eBay for 50$ W203

but I’m a little confused when it comes to the front SAM. When searching online I noticed some came with Wires/and Fuses and Some came without any.
So I don’t know which one to get, link below are the Front SAM’s

My Indie Mechanic also asked do I also need wire harness?

https://www.ebay.com/p/Mercedes-Benz-W203-Sam-Steuergerät-2035453701/1676930837

Last edited by amgrobaspach; 09-13-2018 at 09:32 PM. Reason: URL was wrong
Old 09-14-2018, 10:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'99 and '05 E55 AMG
I found a used ECU on eBay for 50$ W203

but I’m a little confused when it comes to the front SAM. When searching online I noticed some came with Wires/and Fuses and Some came without any.
So I don’t know which one to get, link below are the Front SAM’s

My Indie Mechanic also asked do I also need wire harness?

https://www.ebay.com/p/Mercedes-Benz...701/1676930837
Post your VIN as there may be several SAM units that will work with your car. You will need someone with STAR to code it to your particular car; otherwise some features may not work. One should be able to do that using the data card but Konigstiger and Mackhack are the two forum users who will know the answer. Mackhack hangs out in the W211 AMG sub-forum; Kongistiger roams all over the place. Whenever you see either of them post, read the post. Always good information from them.
Old 09-14-2018, 10:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'99 and '05 E55 AMG
Thanks guys, I was well informed that I would have to pay fo programming separate. My Dealer charges 150$ for programming. How difficult is installing a new ECU and SAM, how long is general labor on something like this?
A dealer charges to program a new unit. A used unit requires opening up the case and working on the circuit board to virginize it. Check to see if one of the aftermarket ECU repairers can take your old ME module, pull the data from it, then program that data into a used module that they have on-hand. I've literally pulled hard-coded memory chips from a board, placed the chips into the programmer, read out the data, then reprogrammed a replacement memory chip. Been a few years since I've done so but it's not hard if you have the proper equipment (which isn't cheap and comes with a yearly license fee).

Replacing the ECU is a matter of minutes. Replacing the SAM can be done in an hour if you know what you're doing.

Start with these folks. There are others out there.
http://www.mercedesecm.com/

Let us know how it goes.
Old 09-14-2018, 11:56 AM

C32 AMG
VIN: WDBRF65J32F220287

Spoke with Dealer today, I asked if I could send my old ECM/ECU for repair/rebuild and he stated I’m going to need a new ECU because the old one has water damage. I then asked if I purchased a used ECM from eBay would the data be able to be transferred over and he said possibly but he won’t know until they get the new/used ECM.
Old 09-14-2018, 12:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'99 and '05 E55 AMG
For some reason I cannot upload jpgs.
SAM part number:
A 203 545 06 01 with note replaced by A 203 545 16 01. These are for code 494/581 (USA/Automatic Climate Control) which are listed on your car's data card.

Old 09-15-2018, 12:44 PM

C32 AMG
https://m.ebay.com/itm/01-05-MERCEDE...anner=1&_rdt=1

will this Front SAM be compatible with mines?
Old 09-15-2018, 03:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'99 and '05 E55 AMG
https://m.ebay.com/itm/01-05-MERCEDE...anner=1&_rdt=1

will this Front SAM be compatible with mines?
It's the original version part number, so the answer is yes. Just ensure you verify the coding to the car although it may already be so as it is off of a US spec car. I've never coded one but others on the forum have. Dealer or indy could also do that.
Old 09-16-2018, 01:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 170 Likes on 118 Posts
E63 SL55 996TT C5Z06
Long story Short 4inches of water covered the Engine Control Module & Front SAM. Both needs replaced and was qawed $3000.

i have a 2003 C32 for sale with perfect motor, interior, my front left and right panels and lights are smashed from sliding into snow banks in Chicago winter this March. Car starts and has a ton of usable good condition parts including an amazing motor with 178 crank pully, EC headers, speedriven intercooler, new plugs/wires. etc. sad that i some black ice and the front end sides were banged up. i have the car as i contemplated swapping the m112k motor into my 2004 c240 4matic wagon which the legend "Rudy" who lives near me can do but I have my 2015 e63 daily driver and really dont need another high horsepower 4matic.

if your in chicago i can have you see the car and you can take it for literally a steal.....
Old 09-16-2018, 09:20 AM

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts
2006 C55
I don't think the dealer will be able to make a used ME work in your car. You can certainly try to see if the aftermarket tuner guys can flash one or even disable some of the DAS (Drive Authorization System) lockouts.

You MUST get an ME from a C32. The engine controls are completely different on a supercharged car. It uses speed/density instead of mass air flow to operate. It also has logic circuits to trigger the supercharger clutch and intercooler pump. A C320had no use for those things.
Old 09-17-2018, 06:11 PM

C32 AMG
Originally Posted by feets
I don't think the dealer will be able to make a used ME work in your car. You can certainly try to see if the aftermarket tuner guys can flash one or even disable some of the DAS (Drive Authorization System) lockouts.

You MUST get an ME from a C32. The engine controls are completely different on a supercharged car. It uses speed/density instead of mass air flow to operate. It also has logic circuits to trigger the supercharger clutch and intercooler pump. A C320had no use for those things.
Ok buddy you just Lost me.....BigTime!
what is a ME? I need a ECM, not ME....
Im clueless as to what “DAS lockout” is...
Any part number I can search for that will give me the correct ECM for my vehicle
Old 09-17-2018, 06:33 PM

C32 AMG
Originally Posted by feets

ignore first response, I gotcha. I will call my dealer to get correct ID on My ECM so that I can order the correct part. Thanks Feets.
Here is the site of the place I will be ordering from once I get correct ID number.
https://automotix.net/usedautoparts/...UaAhaLEALw_wcB
Old 09-20-2018, 11:37 AM

C32 AMG
After letting car sit in the heat a few days, it has cranked right up with no provlemsbf for 2 days straight.......bad news is I’m getting “coolant visit workshop” message on dashboard and I noticed my radiator fan is no longer turning on.

Could this be the Front SAM and water caused carosion, somehow resulting in some bad connections or something To radiator fan...”just my guess”

or could it be the ECU?

What way would you guys go first, when going about resolving something like this?