C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Unsprung weight

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-11-2004, 04:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nothing
Question Unsprung weight

In another thread I was told that there is a big difference in tyres weights. I saw on this website, www.edgeracing.com that there can be a difference of up to 5lb, which is quite a lot. Now for my question. What influence does the unsprung weight of the car has on say, performance handling and the like? Also, is there a direct correlation between u/s weight and performance as in 1:1 or 1:2 or something like that? All info would be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-11-2004, 10:23 AM

The tuner magazines have discussed this and agree that unsprung weight has more significant effects than sprung weight. Depending on the source, unsprung weight has 3 to 7 times more effect than sprung weight, meaning adding 5 lbs to each tire is like adding as much as 140 lbs to the interior (if my math is correct). Also, heavier tires mean that the extra weight is added further out from the center of the wheel, and the further out the weight is, the greater the effect will be. So, thanks to the laws of inertia, a heavier tire will take longer to accelerate and brake, as well as be more taxing on the suspension system as it tries to control the heavier assembly in its up and down motions.
Old 06-11-2004, 11:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2002 C32 Black/Charcoal
And the UPS bloke who "tyre herniated" lifting the S03s off the lorry will really appreciate the T-1s. He's nuts about them, actually.
Old 06-11-2004, 12:23 PM
I1 ULOOZ

umm..
Old 06-11-2004, 01:47 PM

Originally posted by I1 ULOOZ
umm..

Please stop whoring. Your input is never helpful. Thank you.
Old 06-11-2004, 03:25 PM
IS1

02 C32
So with my 19's on my car I have the equivalent to about a ton in my car?
Old 06-11-2004, 03:30 PM

he he,

if they are brabus apparently so .

but they look so nice tho

I think the formula is like 3 or 4 but its a little bit less with cars with more torque. Torquey motors such as ours are better at moving weight than high horsepower low torque motors.

Bottom Line is unsprung weight really helps.

Last edited by Prasith32; 06-11-2004 at 03:34 PM.
Old 06-11-2004, 03:55 PM

Originally posted by Prasith32

Bottom Line is unsprung weight really helps.

You mean reducing unsprung weight helps, right?
Old 06-14-2004, 05:22 AM

Nothing
OK, so lemme get this right. Say I save about 5lb at each wheel. That is 20lb. Multiply that by 4 and it gives you 80lb. On a car that weigh approx 3600lb that is not such a big difference right? Or am I missing the point? Thanks for the advice anyway. At least now I know what effect unsprung weight has on a car.
Old 06-14-2004, 09:56 AM

Originally posted by AMG FANATIC
OK, so lemme get this right. Say I save about 5lb at each wheel. That is 20lb. Multiply that by 4 and it gives you 80lb. On a car that weigh approx 3600lb that is not such a big difference right? Or am I missing the point? Thanks for the advice anyway. At least now I know what effect unsprung weight has on a car.

It's not important unless you run your car at the track and really want to get the extra performance. For a daily driver, the slight difference in acceleration, braking, handling, and fuel economy isn't that important.
Old 06-14-2004, 10:41 AM

Nothing
Originally posted by Micah
It's not important unless you run your car at the track and really want to get the extra performance. For a daily driver, the slight difference in acceleration, braking, handling, and fuel economy isn't that important.
My thoughts exactly
Old 06-14-2004, 11:27 AM

Don't underestimate the advantages of unsprung weight reduction. The benefits are not just realized on the track, but are useful in every day driving. Steering feel and turn in characteristics are the most noticable and beneficially change the car's behavior in every situation.
Old 06-14-2004, 09:36 PM

does that mean that lighter rims are good for track but bad for daily driving in cities?

because i have been thinking why our stock rims are so heavy... did AMG meant to put heavier rims on our AMG cars because they planned our cars for greater durability?

for a price of an Ronal made AMG rim, it cost as much as a, let say BBS or forged light weight rim... i'm sure AMG can put light weight rims on our cars, but they did not...

i see people putting very nice forged rims on their car... but whenever i'm driving on our poorly condition highway... don't think they will survive over those holes...

thats what i have been wondering about...
Old 06-14-2004, 11:37 PM

Lighter rims are good for any driving situation as long as they are strong enough for their intended environment. Most high quality aftermarket three piece wheels have forged centers, and a few tuners and wheel manufacturers produce high quality one piece forged wheels which are much stronger than the typical cast wheel. The forging process increases their strength and reduces their weight. Unfortunately, forged rims costs more to produce and represent a limited volume on the market. Heavy wheels are not necessarily stronger, although a heavier quality cast wheel will hold up better to pot holes than a lighter cast wheel.
Old 06-15-2004, 02:59 AM

Nothing
Originally posted by smgC32
Lighter rims are good for any driving situation as long as they are strong enough for their intended environment. Most high quality aftermarket three piece wheels have forged centers, and a few tuners and wheel manufacturers produce high quality one piece forged wheels which are much stronger than the typical cast wheel. The forging process increases their strength and reduces their weight. Unfortunately, forged rims costs more to produce and represent a limited volume on the market. Heavy wheels are not necessarily stronger, although a heavier quality cast wheel will hold up better to pot holes than a lighter cast wheel.
Thanks for the explanation.
Old 06-16-2004, 01:58 AM

yup, thanks