Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-21-2019, 02:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 84 Likes on 70 Posts
Current: C217 V12TT AMG Previously: C55 AMG, SL65 AMG
I may just call it a day with the C55.

Hello everyone,

I purchased my C55 back in 2009 with 46,000 miles on it (right at the end of warranty for the first owner), and I've had it ever since and now have a total of 218,000 miles. (!)

I brought it up to Michigan from Georgia in 2016 and starting using it as my winter car as well. It's been so darn reliable, and I told myself I'm just going to drive this thing till it dies because who really wants a car that has so many miles on it (regardless that it has every option possible and everything on it works perfectly, short of the bottom driver seat heater and the rear window shade).

Well, it appears that day has finally come. Last week the starter decided to finally go out. So even though I have the part in hand, do you know how difficult/nearly impossible it is to reach underneath the car to try to remove two exhaust bolts up in the back of the engine bay that have practically rusted themselves together after 15 years of use?

I've never really been defeated when working on a car, but it looks like it's finally coming true - it's been driven till it died.

Cheap C55 with all the options for sale?
Old 01-21-2019, 02:58 PM

Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts
C55 AMG T with Kleemann K2 and some stuff: 414 hp and 576Nm :-)
I´ve had mine for 10 years this year.
I wouldn´t give up for a couple of rusted bolts!
Let someone else tackle the problem and you are good to go again.
Old 01-21-2019, 03:03 PM

Received 106 Likes on 81 Posts
2013 c63 Magnuson SCed
You'll regret it, but, how cheap?
Old 01-21-2019, 03:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by amgen
I´ve had mine for 10 years this year.
I wouldn´t give up for a couple of rusted bolts!
Let someone else tackle the problem and you are good to go again.
Yea, but even if I could find a thin enough 13mm impact socket to fit in there with the right swivels, if the damn things shear off then I'll really be pissed. I thought about taking this to an indy, but I'm at the point where I don't really want to spend too much money on the car because if something big does happen, then it's all lost money anyway.

Originally Posted by Accidental L8 apex
You'll regret it, but, how cheap?
I know I'll regret it, but at the same time trying to work on this thing when it's negative whatever degrees outside (and just a few higher inside your garage) doesn't help. It also leaks some pretty good oil, which I first thought was the rear main seal but now I'm noticing it may also be coming from the valve covers and the oil filler cube (I forget the technical term). Make offers pickup only?
Old 01-22-2019, 07:02 AM

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
2006 ML350, 2005 C55, 2004 E55
I use to fix my cars in the middle of winter on my back in the driveway for as long as I could remember. Your health and sanity is worth more than the $200 a competent mechanic will charge for a starter swap with some rusted bolts. I AM a mechanic and the last few repairs to my C55 and E55 I just paid somebody else because I just couldn't seem to get around to it, got tired of waiting, too cold outside and didn't want to buy special tools.
Old 01-22-2019, 01:49 PM

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts
2005 C55 AMG (sold), 2005 E55 AMG
I replaced the starter in my C55 a few years ago...even on a hoist it was a PITA. Luckily the exhaust bolts came off pretty easily. Hardest part was maneuvering the old starter out and the new one in
Old 01-22-2019, 06:03 PM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
C32 amg
I have had my c32amg for over 5 years and still love driving it, have had redid the suspension and there are some problems but it has never left me stranded and gets tracked 5-6 times a year

Old 01-22-2019, 08:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mercedes Benz C55 - 2005
Funny this came up as my C55 failed to start three weeks ago. I was seriously bummed as I just had quite a bit of work done to the car.

The starter is actually much easier to replace by removing the passenger-side engine mount instead of touching any exhaust components. If you don't have a stubby 16mm wrench, there's a Mercedes engine mount tool on Amazon/eBay readily available for around $20 that makes this job much easier.

Once the battery is disconnected and splashguard is removed, loosen the bottom 13mm and top nut for the passenger mount. Lift the engine with a piece of wood against the oil pan and push the mount to the side. From this point, two E14 bolts hold the starter to the bell housing and two remaining nuts on the starter for electrical connections.

Took about 4 hours laying on the side street (where the car was towed to). Spent a good amount of time just trying to re-align the starter with the bell housing.

Don't give up!

Last edited by Jerfleas; 01-22-2019 at 08:44 PM.
Old 01-22-2019, 08:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Jerfleas
Funny this came up as my C55 failed to start three weeks ago. I was seriously bummed as I just had quite a bit of work done to the car.

The starter is actually much easier to replace by removing the passenger-side engine mount. If you don't have a stubby 16mm wrench, there's a Mercedes engine mount tool on Amazon/eBay readily available for around $20 that makes this job much easier.

Once the battery is disconnected and splashguard is removed, loosen the bottom 13mm and top nut for the passenger mount. Lift the engine with a piece of wood against the oil pan and push the mount to the side. From this point, two E14 bolts hold the starter to the bell housing and two remaining nuts on the starter for electrical connections.

Took about 4 hours laying on the side street (where the car was towed to). Spent a good amount of time just trying to re-align the starter with the bell housing.

Don't give up!
Perhaps I didn't look hard enough, but I don't see how removing the mount gives you enough access? I was looking from the back side where the exhaust is; were you looking from the front? And then accessing the E14 bolts from the top?

I remember replacing both engine mounts (YEARS AGO) and remember that it was a tight fit, but got it done without major issue.

Last edited by Viper98912; 01-22-2019 at 08:47 PM.
Old 01-22-2019, 09:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mercedes Benz C55 - 2005
Originally Posted by Viper98912
Perhaps I didn't look hard enough, but I don't see how removing the mount gives you enough access? I was looking from the back side where the exhaust is; were you looking from the front? And then accessing the E14 bolts from the top?

I remember replacing both engine mounts (YEARS AGO) and remember that it was a tight fit, but got it done without major issue.

With the passenger-side engine mount out of the way (I placed mine against the front sway bar), you can gently guide the starter motor and solenoid out with JUST enough clearance from the alternator. Of course, you’ll need a floor jack to lift the engine slightly like you would have done when changing both mounts. In regards to the E14 bolts, they are best reached from below and expect to fight with them a bit as mine were torqued snugly and clearance may seem like an issue.
Old 01-26-2019, 10:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Well guys, I am going to list it. For years now, I've been waiting for the right "sign" to come along, and I think this is finally it.

I've debated for a long time on whether to sell this car; in 2014 I made a listing here on MBW to sell, then retracted because the car was just too good to let go. Then every year since then I've debated again, but always came up with good life-event reasons to not sell a well-running car.

In recent years, I don't think I've spent over $300/year to keep this thing running. A door lock here, a MAF there, window regulator, wheel bearings, control arms, 0W-40, etc; nothing that was exorbitant (unlike the SL coil packs...).

But in looking again at the dead starter, the passenger door lock that recently stopped working (replaced the driver side 2 months ago), the significant oil leaks that are no longer coming just from the rear main seal, the worn out suspension (all bushings, shocks, etc) - I told myself I would just keep driving it until it died, and it literally has now.

So this is the sign for me guys - even though all of the fixes above could probably done DIY for less than $1k and some wrench time, this finally feels like the right time. Someone will get a fantastic car that will be a fun project to start with, and hopefully get some good cheap joy out of it.

SO! I will soon post my low mileage, never seen rain, never seen bird poop C55 for sale.
Old 01-27-2019, 06:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Well guys, it's listed in the MBW marketplace!

I'll still visit here every so often; after thinking about this posting, I started to remember HOW MANY THINGS I've actually done over the past decade of owning this car..
Old 02-09-2019, 05:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The saga continues...

So as I previously stated, I didn't really have time to fix the starter, nor the patience on top of it. I recently bought a CPO GC SRT, since I had wanted one of these for quite a few years now. Purchased the GC, transferred tag, registration, insurance, etc, and left the C55 in the garage.

11 days into GC ownership, the water pump fails. So now I have no vehicle (again) to get to work with. Now fueled by anger, and an unplanned vacation day from work, I tore apart the C55 to change the starter and all is well again. Add to the fact that I also had to go back to the insurance company/SOS (DMV) to re-register everything from scratch, since the C55 docs had already been transferred over to the GC.

So now I've got the C55 back up and running, and I might go ahead and start fixing up a few of the other small things (clean up the sunroof rails, new rear tires, passenger door lock) and keep it listed to see if anyone is interested in purchasing. If not, then it'll still be around for just a while longer.

I think I've also decided to sell the SL65. While that car is also awesome in it's own right, I've checked the "SL65/V12TT" box off my list...
Old 02-09-2019, 06:45 AM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
C32 amg
Hope everything goes ur way, that suks ur gone
I know u have been here for awhile
Old 02-09-2019, 01:06 PM

Received 106 Likes on 81 Posts
2013 c63 Magnuson SCed
Our Daimler-Chrysler era AMG doesn't like your recent foray into the FCA SRT world. Carma.