C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Pros and Cons - C32 AMG Trade for Subaru Forester XT Questions from FXT Owner

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-01-2019, 10:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 Subaru Forester XT
Pros and Cons - C32 AMG Trade for Subaru Forester XT Questions from FXT Owner

TL;DR - Please tell me all about what you love and hate about the C32 AMG, big things to look out for, and how it would hold up to a 100 mile per day highway commute.

Hi all,

I'm currently selling my stock 2006 Subaru Forester XT with 102k miles on it in Central FL, and someone contacted me about a potential trade for a silver C32 AMG with around 110k miles. I believe it's a 2002. I know virtually nothing about these vehicles, but it sounds very interesting. I'm selling the FXT because I commute around 100 miles a day, and it is not a good commuter. Between the low MPGs, premium fuel, loud cabin, rough ride, and hard seats, it just doesn't mesh with a commute that is regularly 1-2 hours each way. I'm currently using a 2003 Honda Accord V6 as my commuter, but I have a bit of a car addiction, and I'm always open to something new. I figured I would come here looking for some input on this potential trade from the MB enthusiast community before I make any decisions. Any input is greatly appreciated!

Some background. The Subaru enthusiast market is very inflated at the moment due to Subaru discontinuing their turbo Forester for 2019. As it sits, my stock 06 FXT is worth around $10,000. KBB and NADA will put it around $7k at the top end, but they are going for a lot more than that. 200k+ mile FXTs are going for upwards of $9k. To give you an idea of true market value, my buddy's insurance just totaled his 06 FXT with 260k miles, and gave him $9600. I'm looking around for a C32 with similar age and mileage to the one this person is offering as a trade, and it looks like they're going for around $5500. Is this an accurate representation of this market? I plan on asking him for between $3500-$4000 cash on top of his trade, if everything checks out, and I actually want to move forward with it.

A couple other questions more specific to the C32:
- Do any of you have a 1hr+ commute that you tackle in a C32?
- How is the road noise? How comfortable are the seats?
- Do these take premium, mid-grade, or regular?
- What kind of real-world MPGs are you seeing?
- What are the BIG maintenance and repair items I should be looking for when I go to check out the car in person? For example, the Subarus have headgasket issues that will run anywhere from $2k-$4k to fix. Anything big like this common on these C32s?

What are your favorite things about the C32? Least favorite things? Is there anything you absolutely hate about it?

I'd love to hear all of your input! Anything that gives me a better idea of whether or not this is a reasonable idea for a trade. Thank you!!!
Old 02-01-2019, 12:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 408 Likes on 336 Posts
MB’s
You live in Florida. Why do you need or even want AWD? Get the C32 save a little more and go for the C55. Better car and no supercharger issues to worry about because it is a N/A Engine. There is a super clean one in Naples, FL for sale
The following users liked this post:
poteighto (02-01-2019)
Old 02-01-2019, 01:55 PM

2006 Subaru Forester XT
Originally Posted by C280 Sport
You live in Florida. Why do you need or even want AWD? Get the C32 save a little more and go for the C55. Better car and no supercharger issues to worry about because it is a N/A Engine. There is a super clean one in Naples, FL for sale
Valid point on the AWD. I have the Subaru because it was a dream car of mine for a while, and I got an excellent deal on it. The AWD was not the reason I bought it, and it certainly doesn't help with the sunny, weatherless highway commute!

Are there typically supercharger issues on the C32? Apologies for the ignorance to these cars, but I'm here to learn. I've had 20+ cars, many with turbos and superchargers, but never an MB, so I have no real idea about their reliability. I've just heard they are generally expensive to maintain overall.

I definitely understand your points about the C55, but the only reason I'm even considering the C32 is because it was offered as a trade for the FXT. I'm more interested in cash for the FXT, but the C32 trade piqued my interest. I definitely don't need another car, but if this could replace the fun and performance of the FXT, and the commuting comfort of the Accord, and not cost me a bajillion dollars in repairs, I'd be game.
Old 02-01-2019, 04:02 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
'02 AMG C32, Mk5 VW R32, #2469/5000
Originally Posted by poteighto

- What are the BIG maintenance and repair items I should be looking for when I go to check out the car in person? For example, the Subarus have headgasket issues that will run anywhere from $2k-$4k to fix. Anything big like this common on these C32s?

What are your favorite things about the C32? Least favorite things? Is there anything you absolutely hate about it?
My commute is borderline to what you're asking - it's normally 30-45 minutes depending on traffic, but there are plenty of times through the summer where I have an hour or more with all the tourist traffic near where I work. I feel like I'm a lot more tolerant of rough cars than "normal" people. I can't imagine any AMG model being tolerated by most people for a long commute every day, and they aren't really meant for those people anyway. The ride is hard, there's a lot of road and engine noise (possibly exhaust noise too, if it's been modified), and the steering is heavy. I love all of those things about mine, whereas I think most people would hate all of those things about it. That being said, the seats are comfortable, the climate control is excellent, the automatic is nice in heavy traffic ... and then of course there's the power.

To elaborate on the road noise, yeah it's there. It's not that annoying poor-aerodynamics-wind-rush noise, it really seems like it all comes from the tires & brakes. I get the same with my VW R32, I really think the big brakes and wheels act like church bells and just amplify the noise. Another one of the things that I'm ok with, whereas a lot of people wouldn't be. To elaborate on the seats, I find them comfortable but flat. I'm used to VW / Audi Recaros and these are definitely not nearly as bolstered as those. It makes them much more comfortable for someone of generous proportions, I'm sure. There's just enough bolstering to make it feel like you'll be held in place, but not enough to make it feel like you're being hugged.

Regarding fuel, IIRC it requires mid-grade but I use premium (last 2 cars I had required it, and I've just kept up the habit).

I reliably get 20mpg. In the winter months it's *barely* 20, and in the summer months it'll sometimes get up to 22. The C32 *loves* speed. When I drove the car 800 miles home after buying it, there were a lot of stretches of highway where the speed limit was 70 and 75mph. Some stretches I was able to maintain 85-90mph for substantial periods of time, and I easily broke 25mpg. It's one of those cars that will cruise along at get-thrown-into-jail speeds, while making you feel like you're just doddling along at 40mph.

The C32 with 110k miles is going to need a supercharger clutch pulley bearing, and to have the clutch gap adjusted at the same time (unless it's already been done, of course). Mine had 88k miles when I got it and the clutch gap was already twice the allowable spec. The bearing was worn and had developed some play and was making a small amount of noise. Many people might have left it until it got very noisy but it needed to be changed. Mercedes will only sell you the entire clutch/pulley assembly which is very expensive. The bearing is available separately if you look it up by the manufacturer's part #. Gap adjustment is done by removing shims underneath the bearing. It can be a tedious process of trial and error to get the adjustment right. It requires, at least, feeler gauges. Ideally you'd have mics or calipers that measure down to 0.001" or better as well, that can eliminate most if not all of the guess work. Also count on replacing the plastic idler pulley for the belt and maybe the belt itself (it's a very large multi-ribbed belt that drives the supercharger and all the accessories). If the spring loaded belt tensioner starts getting weak, it's a fairly expensive item too, and if it's not doing its job properly you'll have issues with the belt slipping while trying to drive the supercharger (the charger is known to be really tough on the belts, even under ideal conditions). On any vehicle of this age, you should start expecting seals to go bad. First to go on mine were the ones around the oil cooler, and the air intake seal going into the throttle body and supercharger inlet. The old ones were hard as plastic. Every time the transmission oil gets changed, the external electrical electrical connector for the conductor plate (and the seal for it) should be changed. If that hasn't been done, then there's risk of oil getting forced up through the wiring harness and into the transmission control module. If it were me, I would inspect the connector going into the control module for evidence of oil. Speaking of transmissions, the 722.6 automatic is known for issues with the conductor plate and solenoids that can cause issues with torque converter lockup and rough shifts. They are mechanically very robust, but when the jerks start happening set aside a few hundred bucks for some parts. One other common failure is the intercooler pump. I haven't had to do mine yet but I hear they aren't too bad to replace. There are aftermarket options available if you're interested in upgrading to something that flows more and/or lasts longer. The crankshaft position sensor is another one. There's one guy on here who always keeps a spare in his car just in case, lol. Computer modules are another common failure. Most of the time they'll result in excessive battery drain while the car is parked, but in the case of the ignition module it will leave you stranded. The biggest, and potentially most expensive issue to look out for (especially on an early model like mine, and the one you're looking at) is the radiator. If you don't have proof that the radiator has been replaced already, then you need to have the transmission fluid tested for glycol contamination. If it hasn't been contaminated, then plan on replacing the radiator immediately. If it has been contaminated then removal of the transmission will be required - if you're lucky it can be flushed, but if the clutches and/or torque converter have been damaged then it gets that much more expensive. There are entire threads devoted to this one issue.

Taking a small step back for a moment, the only 2 things I don't like about the car are the brakes, and the transmission. Even though the brakes are big and will stop the car in a big hurry, they really lack proper pedal feel. The transmission... *sigh*. I guess it's pretty good for a "slushbox" (conventional automatic)... but in this era of dual clutch automatics it just seems so slow and awkward. There is no real "manual" mode, even though people call it that. It's not a manual mode all it does is limit the highest gear it can select on its own. If you have it in "3", it's free to downshift to 2 or 1 if it wants to. It's no different than having separate "L 2 3 4 D" selectors on the lever, honestly. It has some neat tricks, like the passing gear selector, and "fast up / fast down" based on rate of change of throttle and brake pedal positions. But mostly it's just archaic. Compared to almost any other conventional automatic though, it's pretty good. The shifts are quick, in that context. But if you're used to 8ms shift times of a DSG, then prepare to be underwhelmed.

If you're a gear head, have a bit of shadetree mechanic in you, and are willing to pay the "elbow grease tax", then do yourself a favor and take the car for a test drive. Odds are you'll love it, in which case you should schedule a pre-purchase inspection at Mercedes Benz, then negotiate accordingly. If none of those things apply to you, then run far away. The cars are complicated, and quite old these days. Things are going to break, and they are going to take some combination of money, resourcefulness, and persistence to fix.

Why do I own one? Why did I give up an R32 as my daily driver for one? Truly, it had me at "AMG". I've always been fascinated by them, and the more I learned about specific models while casually car hunting last time, the more I knew that's what it had to be. It's a street thug dressed up in a fancy suit. The almost absurd dichotomy is a source of endless joy for me. I can't afford a new one, and don't buy new cars anyway, so I bought an old one and deal with the occasional flare up of old-german-car "personality" when it happens.

Good luck with your soul searching.

Last edited by mars-red; 02-01-2019 at 04:05 PM.
poteighto (02-01-2019)
Old 02-01-2019, 06:01 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
2001 ML55 Designo, 2004 C32 AMG, RIP 2005 Volvo s40 2.4i
TL;DR - Please tell me all about what you love and hate about the C32 AMG, big things to look out for, and how it would hold up to a 100 mile per day highway commute.

Hi all,

I'm currently selling my stock 2006 Subaru Forester XT with 102k miles on it in Central FL, and someone contacted me about a potential trade for a silver C32 AMG with around 110k miles. I believe it's a 2002. I know virtually nothing about these vehicles, but it sounds very interesting. I'm selling the FXT because I commute around 100 miles a day, and it is not a good commuter. Between the low MPGs, premium fuel, loud cabin, rough ride, and hard seats, it just doesn't mesh with a commute that is regularly 1-2 hours each way. I'm currently using a 2003 Honda Accord V6 as my commuter, but I have a bit of a car addiction, and I'm always open to something new. I figured I would come here looking for some input on this potential trade from the MB enthusiast community before I make any decisions. Any input is greatly appreciated!

Some background. The Subaru enthusiast market is very inflated at the moment due to Subaru discontinuing their turbo Forester for 2019. As it sits, my stock 06 FXT is worth around $10,000. KBB and NADA will put it around $7k at the top end, but they are going for a lot more than that. 200k+ mile FXTs are going for upwards of $9k. To give you an idea of true market value, my buddy's insurance just totaled his 06 FXT with 260k miles, and gave him $9600. I'm looking around for a C32 with similar age and mileage to the one this person is offering as a trade, and it looks like they're going for around $5500. Is this an accurate representation of this market? I plan on asking him for between $3500-$4000 cash on top of his trade, if everything checks out, and I actually want to move forward with it.

I'd love to hear all of your input! Anything that gives me a better idea of whether or not this is a reasonable idea for a trade. Thank you!!!
I bought my 04 c32 in early 2017. Have put over 25k miles on it. I have not owned over 20 cars so I can't speak on comparisons. I can however tell you that the supercharger is pretty much trouble free. Trans is also trouble free. Yes its old and yes it is a slushbox. BUT it is also great at putting down the horses when you need it. You can't really compare this to anything you've owned because it is its own category along with the m3 and s4 (true competitors). It really does keep me happy. Its small and powerful. In my opinion the ride isnt harsh at all. Especially that I had the motor and trans mount replaced with oem ones. The car feels like a prius. It is so quiet to me. It is completely stock. No exhaust mods or anything.

Definitely get some money on top of your trade because this car has depreciated tons. But don't let that take away from its real value. I drove this thing daily and I mean everyday pretty much until dec. 16 when my semester ended. I drove from OC to LA to inland empire regularly. So well over the 1 hour commute. It never failed me. It had issues no doubt and they can be pricey if you dont research first. Try to find parts from multiple places and you will have a cheaper ownership.I can help you find parts if you'd like.

Seats are ok. They are comfortable for the hour but then they will hurt your rear end after some time. However I did drive to SF and was sitting for pretty much 5-6 hours to and 5-6 hours back. No complaints on comfort but only because I sat for so long. They are leather so be prepared to have a hot interior in the heat. Make sure the a/c blows cold.

Mpg's for me are 19-20 miles per g. Gas is cheap in cali right now so I am paying 45 for a full tank of premium only (be ready for the mercedes premium prices) and refill once a week. usually on sundays or mondays.

Big repairs are most likely the updated radiator for the 02 and some 03 model years. They had issues where they leaked coolant into the transmission or engine and caused issues. Some 03 and all 04s had the updated radiator so that was no longer a problem.

The transmission will need (unless it was already done) a fluid and filter change ( I used valvoline maxlife ATF from walmart with zero issues but most will swear by Mercedes ATF or Fuchs ATF), real MB 13 pin connector, a MB conductor plate (should be around 125 and up) with the trans reset to refresh the trans if it is shifting very sluggishly. Overall that should cover the trans issues. Not very problematic and parts readily available. Fixes and troubleshoots are well documented across most older mbs as they share the same trans. Its the 722.6 5 speed in all older chassis mercedes.

I havent had motor issues besides the vibration at idle which was completely fixed with 2 motor mounts. Definitely get the valve cover gaskets changed if they havent been done. Standard job and not too difficult if you DIY. Was quoted 300 for the job by my trusty mechanic. I did it myself in the end. Took me some time and a couple beers.

Get the drive belt done if it hasnt been done. Oil change is standard. Spark plugs if they are over 30k old will awaken the car a bit.

DO NOT FORGET TO RESET THE THROTTLE RESPONSE FOR THE TEST DRIVE!!! Put the key in second position, press the gas pedal down for 10 seconds, then release and put back in first position. Do not take the key out. Just start it. let it get up to 80 degrees and let it it rip.

I drive to work at night (usually 1:30 am) and just blast through the highway (at safe speeds ofcourse) and never do I think about how slow the trans is or how slow it feels. This thing pulls at 60 to 120 easily. Unsafe but it gets to you.

Things I hate about my c32: Not much honestly but keep in mind I havent owned many cars like you so my opinion is heavily limited. I hate that when gas is expensive, it really is expensive to fill a tank. I hate that aftermarket mods are still very pricey. I am not a fan of all other w203's having the amg package and looking identical to mine. honestly thats it. If I think of more which I will, I will update.

Things I love: Remember how I said that it looks like every other c class? Yeah its annoying but I LOVE the sleeper aspect. I have many people ask if its a real amg. Many people pull up to the light or highway and just be left in the dust. Just know who to mess with youll be good. The car is no slouch. It is torquey and you will love that. I love that tires are easy to find and you don't need a thousand dollar set. Slap on some good used on the front 225 45 r17 or 235 45 r17 and 245 40 r17 or 255 40 r17 on the rears. I usually get cheap and used but good brand on the fronts and get new uhp tires for the rears.

Breaks and rotors have long lives. They dont disintegrate after a few hot stops and I love that.

I love that my 32 has a factory bose sound system with factory aux. It has good storage in the back and rear seat passengers have not complained.

I love that for being 15 years old, it still beats most new cars in lots of categories.

I love this community for its ingenuity when it comes to helping you out. The support is there.

I love that its pretty trouble free for a while before needing something besides regular maintenance.

I would say hold out for an 03 or 04. Find one with good options and service records. Don't be afraid of higher milage as long as the previous owner looks like they know their own car.

Read the breakdowns from when the car was released and see how it faired against the top performance vehicles. (M3 S4) those care riddled with problems now but no they are gods compared to the amg w203 simply because they are offered in manual. Ok but the w203 has held up very well and will still be a better performer without all the ultra high costs of running them.

Search "c32 vs forums" on google and youll see many stories across all platforms experiencing the ability of the 32.

The c55 is also a great and better choice but not that much better. C32 has more mod options if youre into it. Look into the Srt6 crossfire forums for more support and more modern mods. C55's however are more expensive to attain. I've seen some c55's with 190k on the odo going for 7k but a lower mile c32 will go for 4-6 k. Your choice. You wont go wrong with either as long as you get a proper one.

Last edited by Oshkoshbigjosh; 02-01-2019 at 06:15 PM.
poteighto (02-01-2019)
Old 02-01-2019, 08:19 PM

2006 Subaru Forester XT
Originally Posted by mars-red
My commute is borderline to what you're asking - it's normally 30-45 minutes depending on traffic, but there are plenty of times through the summer where I have an hour or more with all the tourist traffic near where I work. I feel like I'm a lot more tolerant of rough cars than "normal" people. I can't imagine any AMG model being tolerated by most people for a long commute every day, and they aren't really meant for those people anyway. The ride is hard, there's a lot of road and engine noise (possibly exhaust noise too, if it's been modified), and the steering is heavy. I love all of those things about mine, whereas I think most people would hate all of those things about it. That being said, the seats are comfortable, the climate control is excellent, the automatic is nice in heavy traffic ... and then of course there's the power.

To elaborate on the road noise, yeah it's there. It's not that annoying poor-aerodynamics-wind-rush noise, it really seems like it all comes from the tires & brakes. I get the same with my VW R32, I really think the big brakes and wheels act like church bells and just amplify the noise. Another one of the things that I'm ok with, whereas a lot of people wouldn't be. To elaborate on the seats, I find them comfortable but flat. I'm used to VW / Audi Recaros and these are definitely not nearly as bolstered as those. It makes them much more comfortable for someone of generous proportions, I'm sure. There's just enough bolstering to make it feel like you'll be held in place, but not enough to make it feel like you're being hugged.

Regarding fuel, IIRC it requires mid-grade but I use premium (last 2 cars I had required it, and I've just kept up the habit).

I reliably get 20mpg. In the winter months it's *barely* 20, and in the summer months it'll sometimes get up to 22. The C32 *loves* speed. When I drove the car 800 miles home after buying it, there were a lot of stretches of highway where the speed limit was 70 and 75mph. Some stretches I was able to maintain 85-90mph for substantial periods of time, and I easily broke 25mpg. It's one of those cars that will cruise along at get-thrown-into-jail speeds, while making you feel like you're just doddling along at 40mph.

The C32 with 110k miles is going to need a supercharger clutch pulley bearing, and to have the clutch gap adjusted at the same time (unless it's already been done, of course). Mine had 88k miles when I got it and the clutch gap was already twice the allowable spec. The bearing was worn and had developed some play and was making a small amount of noise. Many people might have left it until it got very noisy but it needed to be changed. Mercedes will only sell you the entire clutch/pulley assembly which is very expensive. The bearing is available separately if you look it up by the manufacturer's part #. Gap adjustment is done by removing shims underneath the bearing. It can be a tedious process of trial and error to get the adjustment right. It requires, at least, feeler gauges. Ideally you'd have mics or calipers that measure down to 0.001" or better as well, that can eliminate most if not all of the guess work. Also count on replacing the plastic idler pulley for the belt and maybe the belt itself (it's a very large multi-ribbed belt that drives the supercharger and all the accessories). If the spring loaded belt tensioner starts getting weak, it's a fairly expensive item too, and if it's not doing its job properly you'll have issues with the belt slipping while trying to drive the supercharger (the charger is known to be really tough on the belts, even under ideal conditions). On any vehicle of this age, you should start expecting seals to go bad. First to go on mine were the ones around the oil cooler, and the air intake seal going into the throttle body and supercharger inlet. The old ones were hard as plastic. Every time the transmission oil gets changed, the external electrical electrical connector for the conductor plate (and the seal for it) should be changed. If that hasn't been done, then there's risk of oil getting forced up through the wiring harness and into the transmission control module. If it were me, I would inspect the connector going into the control module for evidence of oil. Speaking of transmissions, the 722.6 automatic is known for issues with the conductor plate and solenoids that can cause issues with torque converter lockup and rough shifts. They are mechanically very robust, but when the jerks start happening set aside a few hundred bucks for some parts. One other common failure is the intercooler pump. I haven't had to do mine yet but I hear they aren't too bad to replace. There are aftermarket options available if you're interested in upgrading to something that flows more and/or lasts longer. The crankshaft position sensor is another one. There's one guy on here who always keeps a spare in his car just in case, lol. Computer modules are another common failure. Most of the time they'll result in excessive battery drain while the car is parked, but in the case of the ignition module it will leave you stranded. The biggest, and potentially most expensive issue to look out for (especially on an early model like mine, and the one you're looking at) is the radiator. If you don't have proof that the radiator has been replaced already, then you need to have the transmission fluid tested for glycol contamination. If it hasn't been contaminated, then plan on replacing the radiator immediately. If it has been contaminated then removal of the transmission will be required - if you're lucky it can be flushed, but if the clutches and/or torque converter have been damaged then it gets that much more expensive. There are entire threads devoted to this one issue.

Taking a small step back for a moment, the only 2 things I don't like about the car are the brakes, and the transmission. Even though the brakes are big and will stop the car in a big hurry, they really lack proper pedal feel. The transmission... *sigh*. I guess it's pretty good for a "slushbox" (conventional automatic)... but in this era of dual clutch automatics it just seems so slow and awkward. There is no real "manual" mode, even though people call it that. It's not a manual mode all it does is limit the highest gear it can select on its own. If you have it in "3", it's free to downshift to 2 or 1 if it wants to. It's no different than having separate "L 2 3 4 D" selectors on the lever, honestly. It has some neat tricks, like the passing gear selector, and "fast up / fast down" based on rate of change of throttle and brake pedal positions. But mostly it's just archaic. Compared to almost any other conventional automatic though, it's pretty good. The shifts are quick, in that context. But if you're used to 8ms shift times of a DSG, then prepare to be underwhelmed.

If you're a gear head, have a bit of shadetree mechanic in you, and are willing to pay the "elbow grease tax", then do yourself a favor and take the car for a test drive. Odds are you'll love it, in which case you should schedule a pre-purchase inspection at Mercedes Benz, then negotiate accordingly. If none of those things apply to you, then run far away. The cars are complicated, and quite old these days. Things are going to break, and they are going to take some combination of money, resourcefulness, and persistence to fix.

Why do I own one? Why did I give up an R32 as my daily driver for one? Truly, it had me at "AMG". I've always been fascinated by them, and the more I learned about specific models while casually car hunting last time, the more I knew that's what it had to be. It's a street thug dressed up in a fancy suit. The almost absurd dichotomy is a source of endless joy for me. I can't afford a new one, and don't buy new cars anyway, so I bought an old one and deal with the occasional flare up of old-german-car "personality" when it happens.

Good luck with your soul searching.
You must be a writer of some kind, or at least have a mild passion for grammar, and the written word. This is EXACTLY what I was looking for in a response. You hit everything important, and then some.

The guy offering to trade his C32 is doing so because his kids are getting older, and are getting into Scouts, which involves a lot of outdoor activities - especially camping. He has been looking for a fun, small, AWD/4WD SUV he can take the kids camping in. He has 4 cars, and the C32 is garaged 100% of the time. He claims it has been serviced only by a "Mercedes Expert Shop", for which he has all the service records. I also have a fairly well-equipped garage, with several years of DIY experience under my belt. You could say I fit the "shadetree mechanic" description quite well. I generally also know when something is over my head, and I'm always willing to go to a shop when this is the case.

The harsh ride and road/engine noise you mention - is it "harsh and loud for a Mercedes", or "harsh and loud in general"? The FXT has the poor-aerodynamics-wind-rush noise, tire noise, brake noise, hard seats, and a fairly stiff, sporty suspension. I've done a couple 10+ hour road trips in it, and it's... exhausting. You come away feeling like you've been beat up. The Accord I'm commuting in now is a thousand times better than the FXT, but it's still louder than my wife's 2017 Ford Escape, and has its own age-related issues that are starting to rear their ugly heads: bad motor mounts causing highway vibration, broken plastic interior trim that rattles constantly, leaking valve cover gaskets (replacing this week), etc.

The 20 MPG vs 25 MPG - is that stop-and-go traffic vs open highway cruising? For the traffic mix on my commute - around 15-30 minutes of stop-and-go traffic, then another 30-45 of open highway - the FXT averaged 22-23 MPG with premium gas, and the Accord is getting around 26-27 MPG with regular gas. I'm working from home two-days per week, so obviously fuel mileage is less important now that I'm only driving in three-days per week, but I don't really want to get into something in the sub-20 MPG category right now.

Based on the responses here, I'll at least keep my mind open, take it for a test drive, check out the big problem areas, and have a pre-purchase done by MB. I truly appreciate how helpful fellow auto enthusiasts are
Old 02-01-2019, 09:01 PM

2006 Subaru Forester XT
Originally Posted by Oshkoshbigjosh
I bought my 04 c32 in early 2017. Have put over 25k miles on it. I have not owned over 20 cars so I can't speak on comparisons. I can however tell you that the supercharger is pretty much trouble free. Trans is also trouble free. Yes its old and yes it is a slushbox. BUT it is also great at putting down the horses when you need it. You can't really compare this to anything you've owned because it is its own category along with the m3 and s4 (true competitors). It really does keep me happy. Its small and powerful. In my opinion the ride isnt harsh at all. Especially that I had the motor and trans mount replaced with oem ones. The car feels like a prius. It is so quiet to me. It is completely stock. No exhaust mods or anything.

Definitely get some money on top of your trade because this car has depreciated tons. But don't let that take away from its real value. I drove this thing daily and I mean everyday pretty much until dec. 16 when my semester ended. I drove from OC to LA to inland empire regularly. So well over the 1 hour commute. It never failed me. It had issues no doubt and they can be pricey if you dont research first. Try to find parts from multiple places and you will have a cheaper ownership.I can help you find parts if you'd like.

Seats are ok. They are comfortable for the hour but then they will hurt your rear end after some time. However I did drive to SF and was sitting for pretty much 5-6 hours to and 5-6 hours back. No complaints on comfort but only because I sat for so long. They are leather so be prepared to have a hot interior in the heat. Make sure the a/c blows cold.

Mpg's for me are 19-20 miles per g. Gas is cheap in cali right now so I am paying 45 for a full tank of premium only (be ready for the mercedes premium prices) and refill once a week. usually on sundays or mondays.

Big repairs are most likely the updated radiator for the 02 and some 03 model years. They had issues where they leaked coolant into the transmission or engine and caused issues. Some 03 and all 04s had the updated radiator so that was no longer a problem.

The transmission will need (unless it was already done) a fluid and filter change ( I used valvoline maxlife ATF from walmart with zero issues but most will swear by Mercedes ATF or Fuchs ATF), real MB 13 pin connector, a MB conductor plate (should be around 125 and up) with the trans reset to refresh the trans if it is shifting very sluggishly. Overall that should cover the trans issues. Not very problematic and parts readily available. Fixes and troubleshoots are well documented across most older mbs as they share the same trans. Its the 722.6 5 speed in all older chassis mercedes.

I havent had motor issues besides the vibration at idle which was completely fixed with 2 motor mounts. Definitely get the valve cover gaskets changed if they havent been done. Standard job and not too difficult if you DIY. Was quoted 300 for the job by my trusty mechanic. I did it myself in the end. Took me some time and a couple beers.

Get the drive belt done if it hasnt been done. Oil change is standard. Spark plugs if they are over 30k old will awaken the car a bit.

DO NOT FORGET TO RESET THE THROTTLE RESPONSE FOR THE TEST DRIVE!!! Put the key in second position, press the gas pedal down for 10 seconds, then release and put back in first position. Do not take the key out. Just start it. let it get up to 80 degrees and let it it rip.

I drive to work at night (usually 1:30 am) and just blast through the highway (at safe speeds ofcourse) and never do I think about how slow the trans is or how slow it feels. This thing pulls at 60 to 120 easily. Unsafe but it gets to you.

Things I hate about my c32: Not much honestly but keep in mind I havent owned many cars like you so my opinion is heavily limited. I hate that when gas is expensive, it really is expensive to fill a tank. I hate that aftermarket mods are still very pricey. I am not a fan of all other w203's having the amg package and looking identical to mine. honestly thats it. If I think of more which I will, I will update.

Things I love: Remember how I said that it looks like every other c class? Yeah its annoying but I LOVE the sleeper aspect. I have many people ask if its a real amg. Many people pull up to the light or highway and just be left in the dust. Just know who to mess with youll be good. The car is no slouch. It is torquey and you will love that. I love that tires are easy to find and you don't need a thousand dollar set. Slap on some good used on the front 225 45 r17 or 235 45 r17 and 245 40 r17 or 255 40 r17 on the rears. I usually get cheap and used but good brand on the fronts and get new uhp tires for the rears.

Breaks and rotors have long lives. They dont disintegrate after a few hot stops and I love that.

I love that my 32 has a factory bose sound system with factory aux. It has good storage in the back and rear seat passengers have not complained.

I love that for being 15 years old, it still beats most new cars in lots of categories.

I love this community for its ingenuity when it comes to helping you out. The support is there.

I love that its pretty trouble free for a while before needing something besides regular maintenance.

I would say hold out for an 03 or 04. Find one with good options and service records. Don't be afraid of higher milage as long as the previous owner looks like they know their own car.

Read the breakdowns from when the car was released and see how it faired against the top performance vehicles. (M3 S4) those care riddled with problems now but no they are gods compared to the amg w203 simply because they are offered in manual. Ok but the w203 has held up very well and will still be a better performer without all the ultra high costs of running them.

Search "c32 vs forums" on google and youll see many stories across all platforms experiencing the ability of the 32.

The c55 is also a great and better choice but not that much better. C32 has more mod options if youre into it. Look into the Srt6 crossfire forums for more support and more modern mods. C55's however are more expensive to attain. I've seen some c55's with 190k on the odo going for 7k but a lower mile c32 will go for 4-6 k. Your choice. You wont go wrong with either as long as you get a proper one.
I love this response too! I actually used to be stationed at Edwards near you, so I know that drive you're talking about, along with the CA gas prices. Your commute and traffic conditions are fairly similar to what I'm dealing with now, so that's an excellent comparison. FL is a bit more flat than the drive between LA and Inland Empire though, so I think my MPGs might be slightly better than 19-20.

I've done a bit of reading into the comparisons between the C32 / M3 / S4, and everything definitely leans towards the C32 for that era. I understand and appreciate your point about the newer C32, and even the C55, but like I mentioned above, I'm not actively looking to replace the FXT. I'm mainly interested in seeing if this particular C32 trade would be a viable replacement for the "fun factor" of the FXT, and the "commuter comfort" of the Accord. I'm also trying to determine if the C32 is reliable enough to daily if I get rid of both the FXT and the Accord. This commute is super temporary - guaranteed over in May 2020 (long story) - so I was really planning on just keeping the Accord until then. I've actually been eyeing some of the newer 2013-2014 C63 AMGs as a post-commute-era replacement for both cars, but this C32 opportunity kind of fell into my lap.
Old 02-01-2019, 10:33 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
'02 AMG C32, Mk5 VW R32, #2469/5000
You must be a writer of some kind, or at least have a mild passion for grammar, and the written word. This is EXACTLY what I was looking for in a response. You hit everything important, and then some.

The guy offering to trade his C32 is doing so because his kids are getting older, and are getting into Scouts, which involves a lot of outdoor activities - especially camping. He has been looking for a fun, small, AWD/4WD SUV he can take the kids camping in. He has 4 cars, and the C32 is garaged 100% of the time. He claims it has been serviced only by a "Mercedes Expert Shop", for which he has all the service records. I also have a fairly well-equipped garage, with several years of DIY experience under my belt. You could say I fit the "shadetree mechanic" description quite well. I generally also know when something is over my head, and I'm always willing to go to a shop when this is the case.

The harsh ride and road/engine noise you mention - is it "harsh and loud for a Mercedes", or "harsh and loud in general"? The FXT has the poor-aerodynamics-wind-rush noise, tire noise, brake noise, hard seats, and a fairly stiff, sporty suspension. I've done a couple 10+ hour road trips in it, and it's... exhausting. You come away feeling like you've been beat up. The Accord I'm commuting in now is a thousand times better than the FXT, but it's still louder than my wife's 2017 Ford Escape, and has its own age-related issues that are starting to rear their ugly heads: bad motor mounts causing highway vibration, broken plastic interior trim that rattles constantly, leaking valve cover gaskets (replacing this week), etc.

The 20 MPG vs 25 MPG - is that stop-and-go traffic vs open highway cruising? For the traffic mix on my commute - around 15-30 minutes of stop-and-go traffic, then another 30-45 of open highway - the FXT averaged 22-23 MPG with premium gas, and the Accord is getting around 26-27 MPG with regular gas. I'm working from home two-days per week, so obviously fuel mileage is less important now that I'm only driving in three-days per week, but I don't really want to get into something in the sub-20 MPG category right now.

Based on the responses here, I'll at least keep my mind open, take it for a test drive, check out the big problem areas, and have a pre-purchase done by MB. I truly appreciate how helpful fellow auto enthusiasts are
Haha, well I've been passionate about blogging and writing technical articles for a very long time, and was interested in writing science fiction as a teenager, but it's never been a profession. As an engineer, writing skills do come in handy though, the ability to unambiguously convey information is very important.

Regarding "harsh and loud", I guess it depends on your perspective and what you're used to. Make no mistake, it's not harsh and loud in any way that would be offensive to an enthusiast. The noise doesn't sound like a cow chewing on a bag of nails, like you'd get with a Subaru of the same age and mileage, nor does it sound like a buzzbox of a hot hatch. It's a proper means-business-but-is-put-together-properly sort of noise, thundering when you let her lose but otherwise just letting you know she's there (disclaimer: If it's been partially de-catted or had some other exhaust work done, then all bets are off - I personally enjoy the factory setup). The "harshness" of the ride is also not the same as you'd get with a tired commuter or a less expensive econobox-turned-tuner. You'll feel everything in the road, but if it's in proper order you won't hear squeaks and rattles, and it won't feel cheap. I've had a slew of suped up watercooled VWs over the decades, some harder than others, and if you're talking about a Mk2 GTI with race springs & Bilstein shocks then yeah the C32 isn't even CLOSE to harsh. On the other hand, it's harsher than my Mk5 R32 with Bilstein HDs & stock springs. If you're coming from a whisper quiet commuter that's still new enough it hasn't turned into a rattle trap yet, then it might not be your cup of tea. Somehow, I have a feeling you'll like it though. Call it a hunch. Bear in mind again, that 2002 was 17 years ago and unless someone has dealt with them already you may well end up dealing with bad motor, transmission, and differential mounts, as well as driveshaft couplings.

Regarding seat comfort, I guess everyone's posterior is different - unlike OshKosh, I find the seats very comfortable on long trips. My 800 mile trip home the first time I drove it, was straight through. I only stopped for gas & food.

Regarding the fuel economy, we don't really have "real" traffic around here. If I sit for 10 minutes in stop & go traffic, I'm ready to throw myself under the car next to me. Rarely am I in stop & go traffic for more than 5-10 minutes during my commute in either direction. My commute is also only about 25% open highway, and probably 60% state routes where the speed limit varies between 40 and 55 but much of the time you're at the mercy of the drivers in front of you. On my long road trip where I broke 25, that was wide open freeway bombing with basically no traffic at all. Never in my life have I driven anything that devours highway miles like the AMG, with the possible exception of my father's CDI E class. Based on the description of your commute, I'm not sure whether you should expect 20mpg or slightly less. But if fuel economy is a concern at all, then be aware that the C32 is pretty sensitive to how its driven. If you're asking for the power, those fuel lines open right up. For what it's worth, I mostly drive mine like an old woman. My mechanical sympathy just won't allow for much hooliganism. I notice a difference putting it in "W" mode when I hit slow traffic, that gives you 2nd gear starts (and gives you a taller ratio reverse gear, believe it or not), which is good for winter driving but also good for fuel economy in slow traffic.

Trying to get back to helping you from your perspective, here's an eclectic mix of vehicles I've had enough experience with to make a comparison. I've owned and/or driven 3 different late 90s-early 2000s Legacy Outback wagons... and I just can't say I liked anything about them other than the AWD and the utility (I only owned one of them, and liked it so little I didn't even keep it after I got it fixed up and on the road - the other two were owned by my wife's parents and I had the displeasure of operating them on many occasions). I didn't like the build quality, or the engine that sounded like it was being digested by hoofed animal. The ride quality was not good and at the same time the handling and steering made it feel like I was driving a tank made out of cheap tin. I know a lot of people like them, I even know people who swear they like the handling and ride better than some much more expensive German stuff that just boggles my mind. No offense to any Subaru lovers here - they just don't do it for me at all. I drove a WRX once and that was pretty good but only because it was fast and had a stickshift... I didn't like it enough to want to ever own one. Until recently we owned a Ford Flex, and even though it was 9 years old with over 150k miles, it was fantastic on the road. Bearing in mind it's a whopping great bus, it still had decent road manners and good feedback... yet at the same time was comfortable and quiet. I have plenty of complaints about the Flex, but I have nothing but praise for it's combination of road manners and comfort. I honestly have no idea how well the Flex compares to the Escape, the Flex is only one of two Fords I've ever driven. The other was a 2017 Mustang convertible that I had as a rental for a week on a trip once. My wife and I drove up coastal route 1 in California, so I had plenty of seat time in that thing. It was brand new at the time, something like 10k miles on it, and even though it wasn't as firm a ride as the C32, it felt worse every time it had to cope with road anomalies. Not really clunky or rattly, more like a cheap sounding bounce, than the well-mannered thud you'd get from the C32. It felt like 50k miles of daily driving and it would end up being a rattle box. I can also say that the C32 is harder and harsher than a late 80s Audi 5000 CS Quattro Turbo, another absolutely wonderful sports sedan, and although definitely sporty, still definitely more comfort oriented than the little C32.

Anyway, sorry for rambling, I hope some of it was at least a little helpful.
poteighto (02-04-2019)
Old 02-02-2019, 07:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 84 Likes on 70 Posts
Current: C217 V12TT AMG Previously: C55 AMG, SL65 AMG
I didn't read the rest of MBW's responses, but I did read your posts.

My opinion - the C55 is a much better car in terms of feeling more modern. The front end, the interior, and the overall "feel" of the car feels much better than the C32. The C32, to me, as a C55 owner, feels old. The C55 has aged very well and if you find one with a fully loaded interior, it really is nice.

That said, the C55 is DEFINITELY a stiff car. Stiff sidewall 18's, stiff suspension, and stiff seats. I average 23.5 mpg all highway, and about 17 mpg all city stop and go.

Reliability wise, the C55 is hands down an amazing car (at least mine has been). It doesn't ask for much on a yearly basis.

So overall, I would not buy the C32 if I were you; I'd buy the C55. But, if comfort is what you're looking for, then I wouldn't go for the C55 either.

I would definitely sell your Subaru private party and find something fun, but neither of these cars unless you can get them for a bargain.
poteighto (02-04-2019)
Old 02-05-2019, 10:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 127 Likes on 96 Posts
2010 C63 2019 GLA45
I thought this is an interesting thread.
My 02 Subaru Wrx sits on Tokico D-spec shocks paired with OEM Sti springs (JDM 02 Sti).
My 10 C63 AMG is stock.
The AMG had many not so well known and understood options. Mine has the avantgarde suspension with factory lowering.
Anyway: the Tokico is adjustable and somewhere in the range it is as stiff as a factory shock.
This is where I keep them these days.
So with this said, both cars are as rigid, suspension wise.
What I'm trying to write is that ALL AMG, including the G 63 have stiff suspension, it's part of being an AMG.
The number of creaks that the WRX developed is mind boggling. It's beyond reason and beyond counting them, you mentally block them.
Now, mind you I had also older Mercedes, like from the 80's and 90's.
Those developed 3-4 major sources of wind noise, creaks and such. These can be isolated and fixed.
Also, your XT has the EJ255 engine and that has its own series of items to watch for.

Last edited by Vladds; 02-06-2019 at 07:02 AM.
poteighto (02-05-2019)
Old 02-05-2019, 11:02 AM

2006 Subaru Forester XT
Originally Posted by Vladds
I thought this is an interesting thread.
My 02 Subaru Wrx sits on Tokico D-spec shocks paired with OEM Sti springs (JDM 02 Sti).
My 10 C63 AMG is stock.
The AMG had many not so well known and understood options. Mine has the avantgarde suspension with factory lowering.
Anyway: the Tokico is adjustable and somewhere in the range it is as stiff as a factory shock.
This is where I keep them these days.
So with this said, both cars are as rigid, suspension wise.
What I'm trying to write is that ALL AMG, including the G 63 have stiff suspension, it's part of being an AMG.
The number of creaks that the WRX developed is mind boggling. It's beyond reason and beyond counting them, you mentally block them.
Now, mind you I had also older Mercedes, like from the 80's and 90's.
Those developed 3-4 major sources of wind noise, creaks and such. These can be isolated and fixed.
Also, your XT has the EJ257 engine and that has its own series of items to watch for.
Thanks for the input! This is definitely an interesting comparison. I completely agree on the weird creaks, rattles, jiggles, thunks, etc. that the Subaru has developed, even compared to my Honda Accord, which is three-years older! I replaced the door/window gussets on the FXT, which eliminated the "leaking" wind noise, but the aerodynamics are poor, and the glass is thin, so the wind and road noise just from that is ludicrous.

I appreciate everyone's comments and feedback here, but it seems that - for now anyway - the gentleman who was looking to trade has ghosted me. I may still end up pursuing a used MB, and have had my eye on a well-maintained and low mile 2007 S550 with an engine code verifying the lack of timing gear problems. AMG sport package, plus a few extra goodies, and tons of new parts with records. Though it is very appealing, I'll likely chicken out, and stick with the Accord while I have the commute. I'll do some more research on my own, and reach back out to this community if there is anything specific I am unable to find.

Thank you all again!
Old 02-06-2019, 06:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 84 Likes on 70 Posts
Current: C217 V12TT AMG Previously: C55 AMG, SL65 AMG
That's because he's probably a member here reading your thread