C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Quaife ATB Limited Slip Diff

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-22-2004, 02:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C32
Quaife ATB Limited Slip Diff

I am currently talking to Quaife about getting them to make their LSD for the C32. They are saying that we would need 10 owners to sign-up to do this. Any interest?

Here is some info on Quaife's LSDs:
The Ultimate Differential

The QUAIFE Automatic Torque Biasing Differential enables your car to accelerate quicker and corner faster.

How? By getting the power to the ground!

The QUAIFE Differential powers both drive wheels under nearly all conditions, instead of just one.

With an ordinary open differential, standard on most cars, a lot of precious power is wasted during wheel spin under acceleration. This happens because the open differential shifts power to the wheel with less grip, along the path of least resistance.

The QUAIFE, however, does just the opposite. It senses which wheel has better grip, and biases the power to that wheel. It does this smoothly and constantly, and without ever completely removing power from the other wheel.

In cornering, while accelerating out of a turn, the QUAIFE biases greater power to the outside wheel, reducing inside-wheel spin. This allows the driver to begin accelerating earlier, exiting the corner at a higher speed.

The QUAIFE also controls loss of traction when the drive wheels are on slippery surfaces such as ice and snow or mud, providing the appropriate biased traction needed to overcome these adverse conditions. The QUAIFE Differential provides constant and infinitely variable drive. Power is transferred automatically without the use of normal friction pads or plates seen in other limited-slip designs.

The QUAIFE'S unique design offers maximum traction, improves handling and steering, and puts the power where it is needed most. A definite advantage whether on the track or on the street.

The QUAIFE is extremely strong and durable and since the Quaife is gear operated, it has no plates or clutches that can wear out and need costly replacement.

The QUAIFE is great for street driving or racing. Racers don't have to put up with locking mechanisms or spools that tear the steering wheel out of their hands when cornering. Because it behaves like an open differential during ordinary driving, street drivers will have trouble telling it's there until pushing the cars limits.

The QUAIFE has been proven in everything from SCCA Rally to Formula 1. It provides autocrossers with such an advantage, it has become "required" equipment for a winning effort.

Expand your vehicle's limits with the QUAIFE Differential!

Old 07-22-2004, 02:10 PM

2006 Corvette Coupe
I'm potentially interested, but more details would be helpful.

How much would it cost? What about shipping? I think differentials are pretty heavy.

Is it just a remove-stock-and-install-new procedure?

Or would they require portions of the stock differential?

Whats the estimated total installation time?
Old 07-22-2004, 02:14 PM

C32
I am waiting for answers on the pricing. I will ask them your questions and post the answers when I get them. The LSD may be a *bit* heavier, but the advantages in grip would outweigh (pun intended) the negatives.
Old 07-22-2004, 02:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
IF the price is right, I am in. But I also need to know if we need to reprogram/reset ANY of our computers (either ECU or transmission module).
Old 07-22-2004, 02:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Cars and boats!
i am VERY intersted.... tell them to shoot you a rough estimate of the price!!!

Also, would this in anyway interfere with how our ESP works?

Last edited by BenzoAMGpower; 07-22-2004 at 02:59 PM.
Old 07-22-2004, 03:07 PM

C32
I dont claim to be an expert on the C32, but I doubt it would interfere at all with the ESP system. In fact it would almost render it usless.

Edit: When I say ESP in this situation I mean the single wheel slip limiter.

Last edited by AaronC; 07-22-2004 at 03:12 PM.
Old 07-22-2004, 03:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
C32
Maybe Evosport will chime in here. They apparently talked with Quaife back in Aug. 2002 about making one for the C32. Obviously nothing has happened.
Old 07-22-2004, 04:47 PM
rrf

Should be no reprogram as long as the ratios stay the same. IMHO ESP would simply be happier, less for it to do.
Old 07-22-2004, 05:57 PM

SLK32
I have used Quaifes in previous cars they are very nice units. I am interested depending on price.
Old 07-22-2004, 06:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
Last time we spoke to Quaife they wanted 30 units first order. Unless they changed their policy it should still remain true.
Old 07-22-2004, 08:45 PM

C32
Originally Posted by vadim@evosport
Last time we spoke to Quaife they wanted 30 units first order. Unless they changed their policy it should still remain true.
Well, in their email they said 10-15, so we will see.
Old 07-22-2004, 08:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
Post the e-mail, if you do not mind.

I just checked with Quaife America and 30 is still the number needed. I am surprised Quiafe UK did not direct you to US office, they now own all US distribution.
Old 07-22-2004, 09:13 PM

C32
This is the email, you guys gonna try and take this over?
Dear Sir

Thank your for your email.

Unfortunately we do not currently manufacture a Quaife ATB Differential for your vehicle - sorry.

Are you in a position to generate orders in a quantity of 10 - 15 units ?

We are always pleased to look at new developments.

Please do not hesitate to contact us again if we can help further.

Kind regards

Quaife Sales.
Old 07-22-2004, 09:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

If you can find out if the unit would be able to be used in other W203 models, myself and I know of at least two others, who would at least entertain the idea.

I certainly am interested
Old 07-22-2004, 10:40 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Don't blow your cover. If your channel is willing to develop the unit with a quantity of only 10-15, then stay with that channel in the UK. No offense, but if Evosport gets involved directly as a substitute at this point in time and the US distribution people get wind of it, which unfortunately they have by Evosports immediate inquiry (I would have liked to hear that conversation. Vadim, maybe you would like to post the transcript?) it may change the nature of the deal. Vadim, could you wait until AaronC moves further along before any additional interviening please?

Buying parts overseas when US distribution is present causes a tremendous problem when someone tries to circumvent the appropriate sales channel, although the English Channel should be fair internation game. Distributors get really pissed when they loose a sale to direct sales from the manufacturer, not only in the car business, but in all business in the world. If someone can get in the door without anyone noticing, then you won the game and the distributors are not mad because they didn't now the deal existed. I am not condoning taking away business from US distributors who represent a saleable product, but a good argument can be made to "go around" the proper channels when a product is not to market, and therefore sales are not hurt.

I have been successful in procuring many exclusive parts for various car over the year by purchasing items directly from european sources in their own currency. On several occations, US distributors, who never thought of bringing in these parts were outraged at the idea when they heard about it and threatened to stop representing the products for the manufacturer. In the end, my direct private deals went South and I ended up having to buy the product from the US distributor at a much higher price, and to top it off, I never got paid a consultant fee for giving the distributor the idea of bringing in the part in the first place that they now import because of me! I don't believe MOMO or Sparco were hurt in any way my quite purchase of a eurpoean hub adapter that does not exist anywhere in anyone's inventory.

Cat's out of the bag, but I hope you get it back in time. I will guarentee a purchase for my car. Typical selling prices for these units can be as low as $795.00. I was one of the first to install one in my E36 10 years ago and due to my inquiry, they became a standard offering in the USA. Plan on another $700.00 for labor at least and it may be possible to change the ring and pinion gear at the same time. I will pay what ever it costs and am willing to wire money directly to the UK as a deposit to indicate the serious nature of this inquiry.

I have no idea if it will work with the MB auto and software. Why have the other MB tuners turned to developing theirs at such a high market price when they could have surely outsourced their production to Quife?

Good luck.
Old 07-22-2004, 10:51 PM

I am also very interested. Please post all the numbers when you get a chance.
Old 07-22-2004, 11:01 PM

C32 AMG
Originally Posted by N.M.M.
I am also very interested. Please post all the numbers when you get a chance.

hey n.m.m

why dont you give me back my suspension first before you buy anything ok? bye
Old 07-26-2004, 11:58 AM

C32
Well, he suddenly asked me where I lived, and once I told him he stopped responding to my emails. I will update you if I hear anything.
Old 07-26-2004, 01:08 PM

C43, SLK32, CLK63 Black Series
I'm definitely in if the price is right as the same diff would work in an SLK32. I think a few other people from the the benzworld SLK forum would also be in. I'll direct some other forums to this thread. I tried the same thing with Quaiffe quite a while ago but like Vadim said, they wanted 30. If a UK shop will do it for 10, I think there is a good chance of getting 10.

Every SLK32/C32 but especially modified ones should have a limited slip. I think the lack of one is biggest engineer mistake on these cars.
Old 07-26-2004, 07:36 PM

any news? now seems we have close to 30 peoples already...
Old 07-26-2004, 09:49 PM

Well, it looks like the cat got out of the back and gave Quaife America cat scratch fever!

Maybe Harris can import them through Canada our surely Weiderman has a few european connections that can get the job done. Cash up front for an order of 12? Why not!! The Brits would drink to that!!
Old 07-27-2004, 12:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
We are talking to Quaife USA. I will post more info as soon as it becomes available. Thank you for your patience.
Old 07-27-2004, 01:24 AM

AMG C43, 1999
Count me in too if they will bolt into a 1999, C43

Jeff
Old 07-27-2004, 11:11 AM

What is the final drive gear ratio on the C32? Are there other gear sets available? What are the costs? What is the book labor cost for installation of the LSD?
Old 07-27-2004, 11:54 AM

C32
Ok, Jason with Quaife America got back to me. He said that they could make 10 or 15 units for us, but the individual pricing would be higher then normal becasue of the low quantity. He also sent me this email:
Aaron,
We would be glad to quote you an price, we just need a few items from you,
so we can be accurate. We will need a differential and stub axles to do the
quote. Once we get to the stage of production we will need a complete third
member from you so we can insure the correct fitment. let me know if there
any other questions.

Jason Alvarez
Quaife Aftermarket Manager
Anyone live near them?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Quaife ATB Limited Slip Diff