Pre-MOST (D2B) Fiber Optic to Digital Decoder for new headunit

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-11-2020, 10:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 C32 AMG
Unhappy Pre-MOST (D2B) Fiber Optic to Digital Decoder for new headunit

Hi there,

Been rebuilding a 2002 C32 that had seen a few years of neglect. Am loving the vehicle and have been putting countless hours into bringing it back to life (electronics sorting, engine refresh, all the fluids, seals, body work).

My current projects are replacing the foot well climate control stepper motor and linkage, and at the same time replacing the headunit. My focus here is the headunit which is to integrate with the BOSE sound system which has the D2B fiber system, all oem BOSE speakers and amplifier, no cd-changer, teleaid, audio 30 interface. I have done enough research and going through the forums and interwebs with no success at finding a fiber decoder (Mercedes uses a proprietary signal apparently) to convert the new headunits signal to the required fiber signal and complete the ring through the amplifier.

It befuddles me that NO ONE had ever come to a solution to this, as the MOST system has dozens of options to decode the signal, however, if I am wrong, can someone please fill me in on the decoder to prevent me from having to run a new amp and cables to the rear.

Thanks and best.
Old 05-09-2020, 10:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2000 S430
Originally Posted by ander2j2
Hi there,

Been rebuilding a 2002 C32 that had seen a few years of neglect. Am loving the vehicle and have been putting countless hours into bringing it back to life (electronics sorting, engine refresh, all the fluids, seals, body work).

My current projects are replacing the foot well climate control stepper motor and linkage, and at the same time replacing the headunit. My focus here is the headunit which is to integrate with the BOSE sound system which has the D2B fiber system, all oem BOSE speakers and amplifier, no cd-changer, teleaid, audio 30 interface. I have done enough research and going through the forums and interwebs with no success at finding a fiber decoder (Mercedes uses a proprietary signal apparently) to convert the new headunits signal to the required fiber signal and complete the ring through the amplifier.

It befuddles me that NO ONE had ever come to a solution to this, as the MOST system has dozens of options to decode the signal, however, if I am wrong, can someone please fill me in on the decoder to prevent me from having to run a new amp and cables to the rear.

Thanks and best.
D2B was adopted by MB and Jaguar. It was propriety and licensed by MB and Jag. When MOST became an open standard, everyone moved onwards to MOST. There were D2B converters available but most have become unavailable today. Dension used to produce a D2B device. I stumbled onto a Jaguar Forum and one of their members did a D2B converter build and a limited time offering on procuring one. Unfortunately, it is no longer. I am in the same boat with my W220 S400cdi 2002 with D2B. I refuse to forgo the Bose System with COMAND 2.5, and put up with outdated CD Maps, I would love to buy the MP40 Player to add digital source music, but that is spendy.
Old 05-12-2020, 08:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
2002 C32 AMG, 2013 GLK 350/4, 2015 E63S AMG Wagon
I replaced my OEM Comand with a unit from Erisin and I dumped my Bose amplifier. Will always sound better with a dedicated new 6 channel amp but for now it sounds just fine with the built in amp.
Old 09-21-2020, 12:16 AM

w220
Hi, i got a same question. I am planning to buy a Erisin head unit for my 2003 W220. It seems it use the D2B fiber optic. But i cant find a decoder on the whold Internet. means i have to do like u dump the Bose amplifier away?But i really want a Android head unti for carplay because the oringal one got a black spot on it. But i am worry about the sound on the Erisin unti to the speakers.
Does it really sound very different between Bose amp and Erisin built in amp? help me decide, lot of thanks!
Old 09-21-2020, 12:18 AM

w220
Originally Posted by Lenin
I replaced my OEM Comand with a unit from Erisin and I dumped my Bose amplifier. Will always sound better with a dedicated new 6 channel amp but for now it sounds just fine with the built in amp.
Hi, i got a same question. I am planning to buy a Erisin head unit for my 2003 W220. It seems it use the D2B fiber optic. But i cant find a decoder on the whold Internet. means i have to do like u dump the Bose amplifier away?But i really want a Android head unti for carplay because the oringal one got a black spot on it. But i am worry about the sound on the Erisin unti to the speakers.
Does it really sound very different between Bose amp and Erisin built in amp? help me decide, lot of thanks!
Old 12-24-2020, 01:23 AM

2003 C32
What Erisin did you install? I just want to make sure what I purchase will fit. Also, I assume the existing optical fiber is limited to only the head unit, cd changer, and bose amp? All you did was bypass all of that and directly drive the speakers from the Erisin?
Old 12-24-2020, 07:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
2002 C32 AMG, 2013 GLK 350/4, 2015 E63S AMG Wagon
What I got at the time was Erisin ES7963C. They may have other models by now. I have removed this existing optical fiber wiring and the Bose amp and wired the speakers using Erisin LMBENZ-6M cable that I ran from the head unit to the place where the Bose amp used to be. Just in case if i decide to add an amp later on. But so far it sounds just fine as is.
Old 12-24-2020, 09:06 AM

2002 C32 AMG
What I got at the time was Erisin ES7963C. They may have other models by now. I have removed this existing optical fiber wiring and the Bose amp and wired the speakers using Erisin LMBENZ-6M cable that I ran from the head unit to the place where the Bose amp used to be. Just in case if i decide to add an amp later on. But so far it sounds just fine as is.
I ended up rpartiakly rewiring, adding an Xtrons head unit, new amplifier, and new speakers all around. I spliced into the existing wiring harness in the rear by following the MB wiring diagram. Took a while to chase the wires cleanly and can be a PIA getting the headunit wires tidied up behind the HU in the center section.

I went with a new pioneer speaker system and the sound is truly great. Had to cut out some of the sheet metal to get the subwoofer in, but it is tucked up and covered in the rear.

I still don't have the steering wheel controls working and don't plan on screwing with it anymore.

Ditch the old and put a whole new system in, you won't regret it.
Old 08-03-2022, 10:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
MB C
Originally Posted by ander2j2
Hi there,

Thanks and best.
Sorry to thread res, but I found this cheap D2B bypass loop and just used to to remove my old CD changer to free up space. Maybe it will help somebody:
Amazon.com: D2B Fiber Optic Bypass Loop Compatible with Mercedes 1998-2003 : Electronics Amazon.com: D2B Fiber Optic Bypass Loop Compatible with Mercedes 1998-2003 : Electronics