C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

C32 Amg w/ bi-xenon headlight problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-17-2020, 03:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 C63 AMG
C32 Amg w/ bi-xenon headlight problem

My primary bi-xenon headlight on the passenger side of my 2003 C32 AMG occasionally stops working, throwing a "malfunction code". The high beam, the turn signal, the fog light, and the smaller halogen light next to the primary headlight ALL work fine.
Restarting the car a couple times can fix the issue, and the headlight will turn on again and the code will be gone (the bulb is good)

Someone said I can bypass that system and put in regular afternmarket headlight assemblies with normal HID/Projector bulbs so I don’t need to spend almost $2,000 on a new headlight assembly (the dealer quoted my lights as 900$ for the headlight assembly and 900$ for the headlight control system, passenger side) - anyone have any suggestions or tips? I can grab a set of HIDs headlight assemblies off ebay for 350$, which sounds like it would be way easier to deal with, however I tried having my local Eurocharged hook them up and they said they were incompatible.

From the dealer my car has:
“Bi-xenon headlight
Low beams that are both halogen and bi-xenon
High beam is halogen
Three bulbs in the headlight
Not counting quarter light or turn signal”

Last edited by Mikecrash; 01-20-2020 at 12:35 PM.
Old 01-18-2020, 09:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 190 Likes on 169 Posts
2006 E55, 2012 GLK350 & 1992 190e sportline
Originally Posted by Mikecrash
My right headlight sometimes works sometimes doesn’t. It’s not the HID system it’s the big xenon situation and hard to find any aftermarket stuff

someone said I can bypass that system and out regular lights in so I don’t need to spend 800$ on a new headlight assembly - anyone have any suggestions or tips?

From the dealer my car has: “Bi-xenon headlight
Low beams that are both halogen and bi-xenon
High beam is halogen
Three bulbs in the headlight
Not counting quarter light or turn signal”
if you have bi-xenon lights there is no halogen bulb
Old 01-18-2020, 09:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 795 Likes on 598 Posts
2019 G70 6MT & 2022 Ford Maverick XL
What year is your C32? If it has projector HID, then this light does have a halogen high beam in addition to the bi-xenons. So basically double high beam - that's how it was in my W203 which was not a C32 but had the same lights. Can you post pictures of your lights?

Does the light flicker? Flicker and go off? Does it just not come on at all?

You will need to swap bulbs. Move the passenger side bulb to the driver side and vice versa. If the problem follows the bulb, you need a new bulb. If the problem stays on the original light, you need a new ballast. Neither should be $800 and you should not need to replace the entire assembly.
Old 01-18-2020, 12:10 PM
Super Moderator

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
THE C350
Can you give us more details about what is not working? Maybe a video or picture?
Old 01-20-2020, 12:26 PM

2011 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by insame1
if you have bi-xenon lights there is no halogen bulb
not bulb, entire new headlights
Old 01-20-2020, 12:28 PM

2011 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by samaritrey
Can you give us more details about what is not working? Maybe a video or picture?
Sure, the primary xenon headlight on the passenger side occasionally stops working, throwing a "malfunction code". The high beam, the turn signal, the fog light, and the smaller halogen light next to the primary headlight ALL work fine.

restarting the car a couple times can soemtimes fix the issue, and the headlight will turn on again and the malfunction code will be gone.
Old 01-20-2020, 12:34 PM

2011 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by LILBENZ230
What year is your C32? If it has projector HID, then this light does have a halogen high beam in addition to the bi-xenons. So basically double high beam - that's how it was in my W203 which was not a C32 but had the same lights. Can you post pictures of your lights?

Does the light flicker? Flicker and go off? Does it just not come on at all?

You will need to swap bulbs. Move the passenger side bulb to the driver side and vice versa. If the problem follows the bulb, you need a new bulb. If the problem stays on the original light, you need a new ballast. Neither should be $800 and you should not need to replace the entire assembly.
I adjusted my main post to add more detail, let me know if that's helpful. I will try to snap a picture next time I see the headlight stop working
Old 03-25-2021, 04:11 PM

2011 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by Mikecrash
I adjusted my main post to add more detail, let me know if that's helpful. I will try to snap a picture next time I see the headlight stop working

So I know this is an old thread, but I'm still dealing with this issue. From the dealer he is what I have:

"Bi-xenon headlight
Low beams are both halogen and bi-xenon
high beam is halogen
Three total bulbs in the headlight"

I wish i could just retrofit some normal projector headlights into the car, it's SUCH a pain in the ***
Old 03-25-2021, 04:14 PM

2011 C63 AMG
You have any suggestions or know of anyone else with a similiar issue?
Old 03-25-2021, 04:16 PM

2011 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by samaritrey
Any ideas? I updated with more detail
Old 03-28-2021, 01:23 AM

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
2005 C55 AMG
It could be as simple as your ballast going out. See post #3 for troubleshooting advice. Easy (ish) to fix, but you'll have to remove the front bumper cover to get the headlight assembly out. I believe the ballast is on the bottom.

Another possibility is the wire insulation inside the headlight assembly is disintegrating and shorting intermittently. Happened on my '05 C55 with halogens. you should be able to see from the back access panels you would use to change the bulbs.

My bet is on the ballast.
Old 04-06-2021, 10:36 AM

'02 C32 AMG
Is this an issue when it is cold outside, say <40F/4C ?

I had and still have on occasion an issue with my passenger low beam around that temp and below, and this was with the OEM hardware and two new 35w kits from RetroFitSource, over the last 2 years.
The issue never follows the ballast, ignitor, bulb or the entire housing when swapped between sides, so it's definitely something in the wiring harness in my case, despite visual inspection and Ohm/Continuity checks on every single wire coming back with no issues.

After spending around 10hrs trying to isolate the issue, I've given up trying to figure it out.