C55 Harmon Kardon Radio upgrade

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-14-2021, 08:44 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
2006 C55 AMG
C55 Harmon Kardon Radio upgrade

Hi all
I've been researching this topic for a while and I'm still no closer to a solution. I absolutely despise the factory radio on this car, is the only thing they did wrong, if they had just included Bluetooth streaming. Anyway, I went to the local radio guy who I've been going to just on 20 years. He says that it's always better to use one of the big name brands (Pioneer, Sony, JVC, etc). The problem is, I really don't like the look of it, it looks like the dash is unfinished somehow. The other option, is the Chinese Android units, there are ones that look closer to factory and even the ones with full touch interface, look much less out of place then the Big name units. The problem is the Harmon Kardon, apparently I need another harness with the Chinese units to run to to the amp in the trunk, is this also the case with the big name units or is there a fibre optic adapter/decoder that is used instead?
Any help or advice from those that have done this would be appreciated, I'm particularly interested in the Chinese units and their usability/reliability long-term
Old 09-14-2021, 10:52 AM

Received 106 Likes on 81 Posts
C43 c55 C63

purchase a hizpo Android unit $250 plus a decoder box $100 I had the same setup with Hk amp
The following users liked this post:
Sly1980 (09-14-2021)
Old 09-14-2021, 01:56 PM

2006 C55 AMG
Originally Posted by Benzrider17

purchase a hizpo Android unit $250 plus a decoder box $100 I had the same setup with Hk amp
Looks great! How long have you had it and how good is the performance? The decoder you mention, is that the cable that goes directly to the amp in the trunk?
I also see that you have keyless start, nice!

Last edited by Sly1980; 09-14-2021 at 01:58 PM.
Old 09-14-2021, 09:04 PM

Received 59 Likes on 51 Posts
asdas
Everything I've read about the fiberoptic MOST adapters for aftermarket radios to the stock HK amp says that it is not a satisfactory option. You'll get some sound, but it is not properly translated by the amp. A proper setup with an aftermarket headunit, whether a Chinese android unit or one from a reputable aftermarket company will in all likelihood require you to ditch the HK amp and go with either 4 ohm aftermarket speakers to wire directly to your headunit, and/or aftermarket amplification and processing so that everything plays well together.

If you well and truly would be happy enough if the stock radio had bluetooth streaming I'd look into one of these:

https://mr12v.com/products/mr12volt-...mand-ntg1-ntg2

Relatively simple and easy way to add bluetooth streaming without the need for a bunch of aftermarket speakers/amps/processing.

https://mbworld.org/forums/c32-amg-c...ber-optic.html
Sly1980 (09-15-2021)
Old 09-15-2021, 01:57 AM

2006 C55 AMG
Originally Posted by brauhaus313
Everything I've read about the fiberoptic MOST adapters for aftermarket radios to the stock HK amp says that it is not a satisfactory option. You'll get some sound, but it is not properly translated by the amp. A proper setup with an aftermarket headunit, whether a Chinese android unit or one from a reputable aftermarket company will in all likelihood require you to ditch the HK amp and go with either 4 ohm aftermarket speakers to wire directly to your headunit, and/or aftermarket amplification and processing so that everything plays well together.

If you well and truly would be happy enough if the stock radio had bluetooth streaming I'd look into one of these:

https://mr12v.com/products/mr12volt-...mand-ntg1-ntg2

Relatively simple and easy way to add bluetooth streaming without the need for a bunch of aftermarket speakers/amps/processing.

https://mbworld.org/forums/c32-amg-c...ber-optic.html
I've seen this option, I just don't understand how it works fully. It looks like a great option without butchering the car. I anticipate that totally replacing the sound system would be quite a bit more expensive. I'd like to understand what the drawbacks of using this unit are over upgrading the head unit, aside from the more modern features of course.
Old 09-15-2021, 02:32 AM

asdas
Conceptually, it takes the place of the CD changer in the car's fiber optic bus ring. If you're asking how it works in terms of the user's interaction with it, I think it would function much like how you would control your CD changer. I have no idea what the user in the thread I linked to is talking about as far as an adapter to show info on the screen, and I may be reading it wrong. He appears to have been active not too long ago so perhaps you can reach out to him for the ins and outs.

One drawback I can think of off the top of my head is that AFAIK, you can't add a rearview camera to our stock headunits, but you can with aftermarket screen headunits. To me, the lack of bluetooth and rearview camera really dates the car. I could take or leave smartphone compatibility function.

Last edited by brauhaus313; 09-15-2021 at 02:36 AM.
Sly1980 (09-15-2021)
Old 09-15-2021, 05:06 AM

2006 C55 AMG
Seems good enough for me, I don't really need the reverse camera as the car does very low mileage. Just BT with good streaming integration makes the best sense for me and the solution you presented seems seamless and minimally invasive.
Old 09-15-2021, 08:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 89 Likes on 75 Posts
Current: C217 V12TT AMG Previously: C55 AMG, SL65 AMG
Wow, those aftermarket units have definitely gotten even nicer and well integrated!

If you're looking for just a simple solution though, go with the CD-Changer replacement module I had a similar one in my SL and it worked ok (for the most part, it wasn't always perfect) and provided good quality sound
Sly1980 (09-16-2021)
Old 09-16-2021, 12:14 AM

asdas
The android based units look nice but I've read alot about how they leave alot to be desired and take some work to get them to function even as a decent radio as far as sound quality goes. I'm not trying to talk anyone out of getting one, but ppl ought to do their research and be informed as to what they are getting into with the current crop of Android based units available out there.
Sly1980 (09-16-2021)
Old 09-16-2021, 02:04 AM

2006 C55 AMG
Originally Posted by Viper98912
Wow, those aftermarket units have definitely gotten even nicer and well integrated!

If you're looking for just a simple solution though, go with the CD-Changer replacement module I had a similar one in my SL and it worked ok (for the most part, it wasn't always perfect) and provided good quality sound
Yes, they do look nice but yeah, unsure about functionality and reliability.
Also, I guess you wouldnt be able to get the most out of the HK amp given that the fibre optics are being replaced with copper. I also don't want to go as far as removing and replacing the amp, besides the cost of the whole thing, it doesn't make sense to destroy the car in this way.
Old 09-16-2021, 02:09 AM

2006 C55 AMG
Originally Posted by brauhaus313
The android based units look nice but I've read alot about how they leave alot to be desired and take some work to get them to function even as a decent radio as far as sound quality goes. I'm not trying to talk anyone out of getting one, but ppl ought to do their research and be informed as to what they are getting into with the current crop of Android based units available out there.
I agree with this statement. I've read a lot of posts and watched videos but none go into detail of usability and long-term reliability. And the established brand radios just look to out of place, you have this massive bezel with a radio sitting in the middle 🤢
Old 09-16-2021, 10:37 AM

C43 c55 C63
I just installed it a few weeks ago but so far everything is working as it should you could play videos in drive
sd card usb music streaming backup camera for the cost under $400 it’s best bang for the buck . If your looking for a sample good sound
nothing crazy this is the route to go
as for the fiber optic there’s 2 choices a decoder box or an extension cable that goes to the back truck connected to the amp
just make sure you ask seller for the exact one for your make and model
Old 09-16-2021, 10:45 AM

2006 C55 AMG
Originally Posted by Benzrider17
I just installed it a few weeks ago but so far everything is working as it should you could play videos in drive
sd card usb music streaming backup camera for the cost under $400 it’s best bang for the buck . If your looking for a sample good sound
nothing crazy this is the route to go
as for the fiber optic there’s 2 choices a decoder box or an extension cable that goes to the back truck connected to the amp
just make sure you ask seller for the exact one for your make and model
Hello @Benzrider17
I'm not sure if you are able to compare the sound quality to the standard HK sound via CD, is it the same or worse? All I'm looking for is an equivalent level of sound quality to the original, but with BT.
Old 09-16-2021, 06:56 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2002 C32
No affiliation, but these folks used to provide some services -
https://www.beckerautosound.com/aux-input-options
Old 09-17-2021, 01:01 AM

2006 C55 AMG
Originally Posted by godpossessed
No affiliation, but these folks used to provide some services -
https://www.beckerautosound.com/aux-input-options
​​​@godpossessed
THank you for the info! It would appear that this is an auxiliary solution, there would be some loss of fidelity using this solution, in my understanding of course.
godpossessed (09-17-2021)
Old 09-17-2021, 03:18 AM

asdas
Becker offers a bluetooth streaming module but it does not have bluetooth phone functionality. As for losing fidelity, I'm not so sure that bluetooth fidelity is better than a clean signal from a 1/8" jack.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/25232478374...4AAOSwxp9W7HjB.

You didn't mention anything about wanting or requiring phone functionality, so strictly speaking, this would do the job, and for less than half the cost of the Mr12volt module. Pretty cheap.

I believe you have to remove your radio to plug this module in which requires disassembly of the center console to remove the ashtray and hvac,etc so you can get at the radio. The Mr12volt module is wired up in the glovebox. Disassembling the dash is obviously more involved, but IMO neither of these processes is overly difficult.

I would be really wary because of all the info out there about how bad the android units are sound quality wise. Well, that's it for me. Good luck.

Last edited by brauhaus313; 09-17-2021 at 03:22 AM.
Old 09-17-2021, 08:16 AM

2006 C55 AMG
@brauhaus313
I appreciate all the feedback - I'm leaning away from the Chinese units because I only really have access to one supplier here locally and I'm also not over the moon with the spec of the unit that is available. Also, the local supplier has only the 6m harness available for HK, no decoder. For me, the only two options would be the Mr12V or the Big name brand radio. I guess the Big name brand gives the best performance and if I'm not happy with just changing that, I can then just upgrade the amp or speakers later whereas with the Mr12V, if I'm not happy with the performance, I'll have to start from scratch.
Old 10-09-2021, 04:06 AM

2006 C55 AMG
Finally a solution, but...

Hi all, I appreciate your feedback on the topic. I finally decided to go with a Kenwood unit with apple car play and Android auto (Kenwood DMX5020S). Although I'm not happy with the look, it provides probably the best overall solution, all things considered. So, I got a quote from the installer, after talking to his supplier, he said told me that the fibre optic interface contributes to over a third of the price of the install! Is this realistic? The link to the interface is:
​​​​https://connects2.com/Product/ProductItem/CTSMC008.2

Now, to me this all seems like just a fibre optic decoder and a steering interface connected to the appropriate radio harness, for double the price! If I check the fibre optic decoder on is own, it's $115 and the steering wheel interface is $19, not sure about the harness. So, any advice would be appreciated regarding the interface - perhaps someone has experience with this or had made up their own. I don't really understand where the price difference is coming from unless I'm missing something.
Just on a another note, I would begrudgingly pay to have this done, if I knew for sure that this would be as reliable as the radio and would perform in the long term, I really don't know if I'd be prepared to replace it again if it failed like after a year or so. I've read in a few places that the fibre optic decoder arrived dead, this makes me doubt it's long term reliability.
Old 10-09-2021, 09:34 AM

C43 c55 C63
Second month with my radio and no issues sound quality never changes it’s still same HK sound I mite add a small slim bass box with one 10inch
for better bass , I also installed the backup camera it came with no complaints video play sd card music usb down loads
best think it keeps that OEM look
decoder box was $110 on Amazon
how much did they quote you for unit with installment
Old 10-09-2021, 11:47 AM

2006 C55 AMG
Hi @Benzrider17
I'm in South Africa so, the total install quoted is R12500, that's about $834 (just dividing by the exchanged rate). The head unit is just less than half of that which is the going rate from what I've seen. The decoder with the steering interface is R4400 which would be around $294 and this is what I'm having an issue with as the decoder shouldn't be this much. It seems though this is overpriced, when compared to just the decoder on its own on Amazon. Surely the decoder and steering control box can be bought seperately and then added to the install to work. I can't seem to find each on their own locally though.
Old 10-09-2021, 08:23 PM

C43 c55 C63
Ok I see but you should give this radio hizpo a second look it’s not bad for the price under $400 with the decoder box
plug and play really ez to install check Amazon for a top seller and make your choice I think you will be satisfied
make sure if you decide to go with the Android ask seller to provide correct decoder box
Old 10-10-2021, 04:02 AM

2006 C55 AMG
@Benzrider17
Thank you for all the input, I guess you've been trying to tell me this all along. For the price, it can't be beaten.
Just one further question, how do the steering wheel controls work with this unit?
Old 10-10-2021, 10:25 AM

C43 c55 C63
No problem, steering wheel options working as they should radio includes a box to control the steering wheel functions
picture quality is also good on video's
Old 10-10-2021, 10:28 AM

C43 c55 C63

Lots of mods wish we had c55 wagons here in the states
Old 10-10-2021, 01:57 PM

2006 C55 AMG
@Benzrider17
I'm gonna give this a go. Amazon doesn't have the fiber optic decoder in stock at the moment, I'll have to check locally again. Between the local supplier and Amazon, there is about a $33 difference although he also doesn't have stock of the fiber optic decoder either.
Yeah, we are also missing quite a bit of options here, the wagon isn't at all popular here so there aren't many, don't know if we have the C55 wagon here at all. I work at the plant where my car was built and was there at the time, although I could never have afforded it back then. We have the original prototype in our museum, it's called the Black Mamba.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: C55 Harmon Kardon Radio upgrade