C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

C55 vs CLK500 resale value

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-16-2004, 06:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C55 vs CLK500 resale value

I am thinking about purchasing either a C55 or a CLK500. Both cars have their respective merits however I am looking at resale value a few years later. I have been told that AMG products depreciate very fast in spite of their limited availability. It would seem that since they are sports cars that they don't hold value well. And since the C55 is the lowest priced AMG this is even more so. Is there any truth to these arguments ? I think you get more performance value from the C55 but if it won't hold a high value I may as well get the CLK500. Any comments are appreciated.

Last edited by viper; 09-16-2004 at 06:24 PM.
Old 09-16-2004, 06:30 PM

05' MB C-dblenckel
Originally Posted by viper
I am thinking about purchasing either a C55 or a CLK500. Both cars have their respective merits however I am looking at resale value a few years later. I have been told that AMG products depreciate very fast in spite of their limited availability. It would seem that since they are sports cars that they don't hold value well. And since the C55 is the lowest priced AMG this is even more so. Is there any truth to these arguments ? I think you get more performance value from the C55 but if it won't hold a high value I may as well get the CLK500. Any comments are appreciated.
isn't the CLK body style newer than the C-class? so the C-class should receive a redesign sooner which translates to the C-class taking a hit in resale value first when the W204's are release, unless the redesign is not accepted by the public...

and it all depends on the market at that time and which vehicle has a higher demand...and they is no way to predetermine the future market for anything...

IMO get the one that you want the MOST! nevermind the resale value you won't be able to foresee the future :p
Old 09-16-2004, 07:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2002 C32 Black/Charcoal
If you are worried about losing $20-30K over the next couple of years (which you will with either the C55 or the CLK500), buy a used C32 or a couple-year-old M5. As for the C32, $35K should get you into a nice one, with value in a couple of years probably in the $25-30K range. As for the M5, people are unloading them at heavy losses in anticipation of the release of the one based on the new body style.

I disagree that the AMG cars naturally depriciate faster than the non-AMG cars. In fact, I think that the opposite is generally true. It seems to me that AMGs have been hit hard in the last couple of years only because MBZ has made some rapid, significant model improvements. The trick seems to be to buy your AMG right after one of these significant improvements occurs, so that you at least have a couple of years of enjoyment before your car is superceded.

Personally, if it were my $60K, I would save up a few more $$, and go for the 500 HP M5. Alternatively, I would save some money and go for the 435 HP Chrysler SRT-8 which is coming.
Old 09-17-2004, 09:38 AM

05' MB C-dblenckel
"Personally, if it were my $60K, I would save up a few more $$, and go for the 500 HP M5. Alternatively, I would save some money and go for the 435 HP Chrysler SRT-8 which is coming."

a FEW more $$??? you're gonna have to save more than just a FEW....the new M5 is projected to be retailed at about $85K, and unless you're already on the waiting list, which I hear is already filled for the next year or so, be prepared to pay a premium mark-up which will probably push it close to $100k!!!
Old 09-17-2004, 11:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2002 C32 Black/Charcoal
Then an SRT-8 with some mods.
Old 09-17-2004, 11:47 AM
Banned

Missing my beloved Benz
All Mercedes-benz products looose resale value fast. You do not buy a benz for the value! You buy the car because you have money or want a car loan for a very long time. Pick between a two door or four door. And go with your answer.
Old 09-17-2004, 01:57 PM

2003 C230 Kompressor Sedan
You need to come down to Delaware and hook up with nicedeboy. He managed to snag a 2005 C55 for $26,000
You can't go wrong with that. Invoice for a C55 is about $50k, and assuming 20% depreciation the first year, you are still ahead of the game by almost $14k.
Old 09-17-2004, 02:23 PM

26K for an '05 C55??

New member, here -- and my first post so forgive my stupidity for not knowing HOW THE HECK someone got into a C55 for 26 grand!!

Either he has some extrordinary circumstances attached to that, or my negotiating skills just suck!

Can you let us in on how that was achieved? Plase? Pretty Please?

Great forum, by the way.

-WW
Old 09-17-2004, 03:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S4
it was never achieved; he is full of sh*t
Old 09-17-2004, 06:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C55AMG W203; 330i E90
Very good point here. I had once been in deep thoughts about 'my next MB' when I was the 3-yr old E320(W210) owner a month back.

Somce decision points I went through are follows:-

- considering resale value is sensible if I would change my car in 2-3 years. The reason I choose MB is because they all have the best resale value than most other cars. The 'value' is also affected by the model's 'popularity' in your country, e.g. E240/E320 W210 is the top seller in used MB cars market locally.

- I won't worry about new models because new models are always selling in a higher price than used ones. People can really afford buying new ones will not look at the used ones. So it is always best to sell a new car after 3 yrs when its value depreciated to a competitive one. I only lost 45% selling my E320 W210.

The CLK55 costs USD 130K .
My 'dream MB' is E500(close to full options), that costs USD 125K here.
The CLK500 costs USD 115K.
The C55 I paid costs USD108K here.

In my country, all cars above are considered as 'very luxury' and are not cars which normal car owners would want to pay for unless the prices come down to an affordable value.

Unlike USA with low fuel cost, in HK, all 5000cc cars would not gain good resell value because they are "not popular". Therefore, all above models will bear for the same rate of depreciation. However, E class is always the one can sell at a less depreciation than the 2-door CLKs.

In financial point of view, you lose less if you pay less at new.

CLK55 and C55 are both considered as famous 'super sports cars'. A used CLK55 or C55 will be a major competitor with the used Porsche's and the BMW M3's.

CLK500 is not a 'super sports car' and buyers will consider CLK320 ( and even CLK350 7 speed when it does launch in future ). So , you need to consider which cars are CLK500's direct competitors in the market.

Frankly speaking, who cares about you drive a top of the class non-AMG MB model if it is still a used car. You only gain the proud when you get the top of the range ( E500, CLK500 ) when they are coming brand new.
However, people do want to try out the used super AMGs especially when they cost 35-40% less than the new ones.

You make a good point , not a easy decision.

cnt
Old 09-17-2004, 07:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55 AMG Black on Carlsson 1/6 EVO
I paid close to 60k last year for my C32 now it's worth about 30k, 35k if I'm lucky. I love the car but the resale value sucks!
Old 09-18-2004, 01:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C55AMG W203; 330i E90
at least ....there is one good value of the C55 style - it looks like a CLK ! That means the owners won't feel it is immediately that 'outdate' when the new generation C is launched.

what do you think?

cnt
Old 09-18-2004, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by cntlaw
at least ....there is one good value of the C55 style - it looks like a CLK ! That means the owners won't feel it is immediately that 'outdate' when the new generation C is launched.

what do you think?

cnt
What are you talking about ? It still looks like a C-class to me. The C55 still has the star on the hood instead of the star in the grille like the CLK. The CLK looks a lot different from the front.
Old 09-19-2004, 02:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C55AMG W203; 330i E90
What are you talking about ? It still looks like a C-class to me. The C55 still has the star on the hood instead of the star in the grille like the CLK. The CLK looks a lot different from the front.
Oosp...I wasn't really mean both cars look the same but both cars share a lot of comon features that would make non MB owners think they are the same generation MB.

may be....you are right thinking at a different point of view from mine.

I remember once I parked my C55 side by side right next to a CLK. At a glance from the front , without noticing the doors, the only differences are the 'star' and the CLK's slimmer and lower body. Other than these, the whole of the C55 's front is built by the saem components of the CLK's front.

cnt