C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Our C55's have DIRECT CONTROL steering?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-22-2004, 07:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Our C55's have DIRECT CONTROL steering?

I was browsing the germancarfans.com site and came across this post regarding Direct control steering in the 05 C classes. I guess I never came across this during the research for our cars - so does anyone know if this is true that it is in our cars?

Here's a quote:

The DIRECT CONTROL package

With DIRECT CONTROL, it feels like your C-Class is almost glued to the road. In sporty driving or when cornering, the precisely tuned suspension and DIRECT CONTROL steering provide agile handling without detriment to your comfort. The DIRECT CONTROL 6-speed manual transmission also further enhances driver appeal, thanks to its shorter shift throws

Link to German Car Fans discussion of Direct Control
Old 11-22-2004, 07:38 PM
Bux
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
G
6speed manual?
Old 11-22-2004, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by ro0zy
6speed manual?
I think the quote I posted was describing all of the 05 C Class cars - which includes the C55s.
Old 11-22-2004, 11:48 PM

BMW E60 M5 / C55 AMG
if direct control steering is anything like bmw's active steering, then I doubt it is included in the amg versions because, it doesn’t provide very accurate feedback from the road. It’s more of a comfort option, for parking and related activities. This are just my thoughts, please correct me if I’m wrong.
Old 11-23-2004, 12:59 AM

Originally Posted by Darba
if direct control steering is anything like bmw's active steering, then I doubt it is included in the amg versions because, it doesn’t provide very accurate feedback from the road. It’s more of a comfort option, for parking and related activities. This are just my thoughts, please correct me if I’m wrong.
From my reading of that post and the accompanying article, its' not an active system. Rather, its just a few upgrades to teh steering rack and suspension that is supposed to result in more direct steering input and better road and steering feel.
Old 11-23-2004, 12:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C55AMG W203; 330i E90
official site seems to be more precise...
http://www.zung-fu.com/eng/ecclass_technology.htm

Optional available with manual shift program and steering-wheel gear shift buttons : five-speed automatic transmission in the C-Class

DIRECT CONTROL : sporty suspension, steering and transmission package
Even more superb handling dynamics are ensured by various technical modifications to the suspension, steering and transmission in the C-Class. This package of measures, which is known as DIRECT CONTROL, includes newly developed front and rear axle bearings which provide more agile cornering with no loss of comfort, a more direct steering ratio and reconfigured standard and sports suspension systems. The five speed automatic transmission are now able to excute more sporty gear shifts.
Old 11-23-2004, 02:52 PM

From talkign to a few other people - it seems that our cars do have this upgrade all of them from the c230 all the way up. Its not a seperate package, per se, but a feature on new C classes for 05.
Old 11-23-2004, 05:19 PM

We do have it. If I am correct, it is mainly a 7% more direct steering linkage between steering wheel and front wheels. Also, I believe there might be a slight reduction in turns lock-to-lock. Both of these act to quicken the steering and decrease numbness on center.
Old 11-23-2004, 08:55 PM
MDS

E55, ML270 CDI, C55
Parameter steering

Hi, dont know if its the same as what this thread is about but here in Australia I have ordered the "Parameter steering" option on my C55. Thats what they call it here an its how its listed in the spec sheets. The description is about a better feel at speed, more direct etc etc..
Old 11-23-2004, 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by rguy
We do have it. If I am correct, it is mainly a 7% more direct steering linkage between steering wheel and front wheels. Also, I believe there might be a slight reduction in turns lock-to-lock. Both of these act to quicken the steering and decrease numbness on center.
Thanks rguy. That seems to be what I'm understanding. Wierd that in all my research (3 months prior to purchasing) I never came across this.
Old 11-23-2004, 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by MDS
Hi, dont know if its the same as what this thread is about but here in Australia I have ordered the "Parameter steering" option on my C55. Thats what they call it here an its how its listed in the spec sheets. The description is about a better feel at speed, more direct etc etc..
Whoa. They have that as an option there?
Old 11-24-2004, 09:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C55AMG W203; 330i E90
Originally Posted by rguy
I am a car mechanics dumb but it sounds somewhat close.
I found the C55 steering is more 'direct' than my Z3 and my ex W210
I think 'quick steering' would be what I mean.
cnt
Old 11-24-2004, 09:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C55AMG W203; 330i E90
Originally Posted by neoprufrok
From talkign to a few other people - it seems that our cars do have this upgrade all of them from the c230 all the way up. Its not a seperate package, per se, but a feature on new C classes for 05.

100% agreed.
Old 11-24-2004, 09:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C55AMG W203; 330i E90
Originally Posted by MDS
Hi
This thread is not about 'paranmeter steering' option which you purchased.
I used to have this option on my ex W210. This gives you soft and comfort touch when turning the steering wheel say particularly when drive slow in a car park.

I also have 'parameter steering' on my C55. As compared with my friend's 2005 C200K , my car's steering wheel has 'softer touch' than the C200K.

cnt
Old 11-24-2004, 09:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C55AMG W203; 330i E90
Originally Posted by cntlaw
Hi
This thread is not about 'paranmeter steering' option which you purchased.
I used to have this option on my ex W210. This gives you soft and comfort touch when turning the steering wheel say particularly when drive slow in a car park.

I also have 'parameter steering' on my C55. As compared with my friend's 2005 C200K , my car's steering wheel has 'softer touch' than the C200K.

cnt
I would like to amend above of what I said.

C55 steering wheel feels more 'soft touch' than the C200K, and feel as soft as the 2001 facelift E320 W210 I had. My ex-W210 indeed included the parameter steering option , which was 'proved' by my friend who owned a 1999 E240 W210 without this feature.

Since the C55 's Direct Control package is not about simply giving a softer touch when turning the steering wheel , but rather the improvement of how the car reacts to the steering wheel actions acted upon.

As I agree that it seems the web site bronchure did not mention this parameter steering option for C55 ( even I thought I had read it from the list when I got my car ), we cannot be sure whether the C55 will be offered this option or not.

Logical thinking, if we do not find the C55 steering wheel is heavy to turn in a car park, it is either this feature is included , or we should not even bother to worry as there is no need to have it since we do not finf the steering is heavy :p

my 2cents

cnt