C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

C55 amg

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-12-2024 | 01:55 AM

C55 AMG
C55 amg

Hello my name is Daniel I am 20 years old my first car was a Lexus is250 2009 I traded it for a c55 AMG 2005 and 2 thousand on top my older brother also owns the same exact Amg spec we want to change the stereo but we don’t know which is the best or what fits I’m going for a modern look he’s wants to keep it “classy” any tips or recommendations thank you for letting me in

Last edited by Scoom; 10-12-2024 at 03:40 AM.
The following users liked this post:
WorkBenzah (10-12-2024)
Old 10-12-2024 | 06:34 PM
Super Moderator
MBWorld Ambassador

bone stock E55 AMG
moved to W203 AMG forum...
Old 10-13-2024 | 09:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

95 SL600
It’s fiber optic, so to just change the head unit you have very limited options if any. It’s pretty much all or nothing with these systems.
Old 10-13-2024 | 11:51 PM

2005 C55 AMG
There are some Android units that have the stock look but still require fiber optic adapters to work with the stock amplifiers, steering wheel controls, and center display. If you have Harmon Kardon, then all the speakers are wired from the trunk area with fiber optics between there and the head unit. The head unit is basically just a preamp with fiber optic output. The adapters are stereo only, so fader controls won't work. You'll have the same issues with other hi end brand name touch screen stuff.

If you don't have Harmon Kardon (look on the rear package shelf on the driver's side - the speaker grill will say "Harmon Kardon" or it won't), the head unit may drive the speakers directly - I'm not 100% sure about this though.

If you have the Audio 30, I'd recommend upgrading to COMAND. It's actually made by Alpine and sounds a LOT better than the base radio. It's still obsolete, but it's decent for a factory setup. The Harmon Kardon/Logic7 speakers are pretty decent plastic cone speakers over the base stereo's paper ones. The only exception to this to the subwoofer. The spider is usually separated from the frame and tends to rattle. You can replace it and lose pass through space from the trunk (it's VERY low profile) or try to repair it.

The later COMAND units from a G wagon are supposed to bolt right in and should (look for the warning sticker at the bottom of the screen) have backup camera capability. I swapped out the guts of one from a GL (face plate doesn't fit the C class dash) into my C class COMAND to gain this functionality. Unfortunately, the face plate is the main frame of the radio and can't easily be swapped - it's pretty involved. Electrically they're the same.

Add Bluetooth streaming and hands free phone to this (also via fiber optics) with a "Mr. 12 Volt" adapter that takes the place of your CD changer. I didn't have one and had to add it into the fiber optic loop.

Last edited by Spooky55; 10-14-2024 at 12:01 AM.