C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Cingular vs. Verizon for hands free communication kit.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-28-2004, 10:30 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Porsche
Cingular vs. Verizon for hands free communication kit.

My car came with the hands free communication kit and the dealer parts dept. just informed me that the cingular phones were in (the Verizon phones are coming in January)... I was wondering which service provider/phone I should opt. for... Thanks...
Eric...
Old 12-28-2004, 10:32 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05' E320
I have Verizon and are pretty good. What phone dod you get, the V600?
Old 12-28-2004, 10:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'15 E350 4M Sport
Originally Posted by EKaru
My car came with the hands free communication kit and the dealer parts dept. just informed me that the cingular phones were in (the Verizon phones are coming in January)... I was wondering which service provider/phone I should opt. for... Thanks...
Eric...
What "verizon" phone do they offer? Verizon just puts their label on lots of phones like LG, Samsung, etc., anyway.

Rgds,
Norm
Old 12-28-2004, 10:38 AM

Porsche
Originally Posted by bforde
I have Verizon and are pretty good. What phone dod you get, the V600?
I have Verizon now with a T720 Motorola and my 2 year contract is almost up... Obviously I can't get anything other than a Mercedes-Benz phone... $225 for the cradle and $525 for the bloody phone (neither of which I bought yet).. Talk about highway robbery considering I already spent $750+ for that damn kit.. The cingular phone currently available is the V600...
Eric...
Old 12-28-2004, 10:43 AM
Almost a Member!

05' E320
I have Verizon now with a T720 Motorola and my 2 year contract is almost up... Obviously I can't get anything other than a Mercedes-Benz phone... $225 for the cradle and $525 for the bloody phone (neither of which I bought yet).. Talk about highway robbery considering I already spent $750+ for that damn kit.. The cingular phone currently available is the V600...
Eric...
Yeah, i have been waiting for MB to release the Verizon addition. You say the dealer said Jan.? Early Jan.?
Old 12-28-2004, 10:49 AM

Porsche
On edmunds.com one consumer was complaining about the phone system on the C55... I don't see how that's possible being that the phone wasn't even available then..
Date Posted
10/15/2004 first one on the road by capac
Style: 4dr Sedan (5.4L 8cyl 5A) Rating
Review: This car is fun to drive as the power is incredible. acceleration and handling excellent. drawbacks are the car rides stiff and rough due to the low profile tires. the tiptronic sometimes downshifts by itself and the integrated phone system is not very good.

Favorite Features: performance and styling

Suggested Improvements: tiptronic and integrated telephone

http://www.edmunds.com/new/2005/merc...Mercedes-Benz*
Old 12-28-2004, 10:52 AM

Porsche
Originally Posted by bforde
Yeah, i have been waiting for MB to release the Verizon addition. You say the dealer said Jan.? Early Jan.?

Back in Sept. when I bought the car, the dealer said the Verizon phone would be available in November, but for same reason they pushed it back to early/mid Jan...
Eric...
Old 12-28-2004, 05:24 PM

SLK32
I have Verizon and do not recommend them. Their coverage area is good. But outside of that there is not much positive to say. System response is pretty slow and voice mail sucks. I have several phones with them and my contract is about up. I will not be renewing, probably end up with Cingular.
Old 12-28-2004, 06:12 PM

Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts
BMW M850i Gran Coupe
As I mentioned on a prior thread, I recently switched from Cingular to Verizon , after ALSO paying the $500 for a new V60 from MB. The carrier selection totally depends upon where you use the phone. I find in the NE corridor from DC to Boston that Verizon is very acceptable. I am however extremely disapointed with the Mercedes integrated system and may skip the phone on my next Benz purchase. It's a lot of money for a usually outdated system with questionable sound quality.
Old 12-28-2004, 06:43 PM

Porsche
Originally Posted by MBZFAN55
I am however extremely disapointed with the Mercedes integrated system and may skip the phone on my next Benz purchase. It's a lot of money for a usually outdated system with questionable sound quality.

What do you find disappointing about the MB integrated system and what other systems (in different car makes) are you comparing it to?
Eric...
Old 12-28-2004, 07:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Debadged 6-Speed '05 C320 Sports Coupe
This post has information on the phones.

Be aware that there is a backlog on the V710 phones, that may push the delivery out past January.

Mine has been on order since July, when they were due in late August / Early September. They have been pushing out one month at a time since then.

The MB V60 will also work with the '05, but who wants to spend big bucks on old technology?
Old 12-28-2004, 07:58 PM

'05 CL500
Phones

I saw several phones on ebay that will work if the car is already wired for the system. They are selling for around $150 to $225 with several carriers. Does anybody know if I can get a retro kit for Sprint?
Old 12-28-2004, 09:42 PM

Porsche
Originally Posted by wingless
This post has information on the phones.

Be aware that there is a backlog on the V710 phones, that may push the delivery out past January.

Mine has been on order since July, when they were due in late August / Early September. They have been pushing out one month at a time since then.

The MB V60 will also work with the '05, but who wants to spend big bucks on old technology?

HELP!... I took your word for it that the V60 will work on the C55... I'm bidding on this phone:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=7944302874

one forum member told me that this phone may not work because it's the old V60...
Old 12-28-2004, 11:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Debadged 6-Speed '05 C320 Sports Coupe
The dealership has a listing of phones that work with the '05. My recollection was that the newest version MB V60 is on the list. The dealership can verify what version is required.
Old 12-28-2004, 11:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'15 E350 4M Sport
If anyone with a C55 that did not have the "factory" hands-free option but had this accessory dealer-installed, please post:
- what needed to be installed (besides cradle & phone)
- how 'invasive' an install
- approximate cost
- any other comments ...

TIA
Norm

Last edited by noka; 12-28-2004 at 11:55 PM.
Old 12-29-2004, 11:12 AM

Porsche
Originally Posted by noka
If anyone with a C55 that did not have the "factory" hands-free option but had this accessory dealer-installed, please post:
- what needed to be installed (besides cradle & phone)
- how 'invasive' an install
- approximate cost
- any other comments ...

TIA
Norm
If the hands free communication kit is $765 or so from the factory, then I'd imagine you'd spend about two grand for everything (kit, phone, cradle) which isn't worth it... I wouldn't do it if I didn't already have the kit installed, especially given the negative reviews of the system..
Eric...

Last edited by EKaru; 12-29-2004 at 11:15 AM.
Old 12-29-2004, 03:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'15 E350 4M Sport
If the hands free communication kit is $765 or so from the factory, then I'd imagine you'd spend about two grand for everything (kit, phone, cradle) which isn't worth it... I wouldn't do it if I didn't already have the kit installed, especially given the negative reviews of the system..
Eric...
Did you purchase your C55 new? If yes, then you paid for the kit. Dealer told me the difference between getting the option factory-installed vs. dealer-installed is a couple hundred dollars for install. Not so much considering the entire installed working system cost a couple thousand. Not sure about bad comments because I searched and found some people that like it. I basically wanted to know if anyone did it as a dealer-installed accessory because someone told me it was not possible, yet the MBUSA site has it as a dealer-installed accessory also and my dealer said it was possible. Still, people have been known to be wrong before and nothing beats first-hand knowledge if someone had it done.

Rgds,
Norm

Last edited by noka; 12-29-2004 at 03:32 PM.
Old 12-29-2004, 05:20 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Cingular has less coverage in my area (NorCal). Verizon operates on old CDMA technology that doesn't have SIM card so their phones are not world phones. If your area has solid Cingular coverage, I'd go with that. If not, get Verizon. Phones are useless if you can't call or get dropped all the time. BTW, stay away from Moto phones -- they suck! Nokia, LG, Samsung, Sony Ericson are better. Moto battery life is short and reception is crap. I have two and the both are not working anymore within 1.5 yr.
Old 12-29-2004, 05:25 PM

Porsche
Originally Posted by noka
Did you purchase your C55 new? If yes, then you paid for the kit. Dealer told me the difference between getting the option factory-installed vs. dealer-installed is a couple hundred dollars for install. Not so much considering the entire installed working system cost a couple thousand. Not sure about bad comments because I searched and found some people that like it. I basically wanted to know if anyone did it as a dealer-installed accessory because someone told me it was not possible, yet the MBUSA site has it as a dealer-installed accessory also and my dealer said it was possible. Still, people have been known to be wrong before and nothing beats first-hand knowledge if someone had it done.

Rgds,
Norm
Yes I purchased the C55 new and got the hands free communication kit option... The cradle and phone is $750+ which is a lot on top of the kit.. I've heard that it's possible to flash V600 phones with the Mercedes Benz software so that it's possible to use hands free etc. once connected to the cradle... Last resort, I'll pay the $525 or so and purchase the damn phone.... Rob me w/out a gun why don't they...
Eric...
Old 12-29-2004, 05:44 PM

SLK32
I have been very happy with my Motorla phones. Much better than the Nokia crap I have used on twice in the past.
Old 12-29-2004, 06:26 PM

Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts
BMW M850i Gran Coupe
What do you find disappointing about the MB integrated system and what other systems (in different car makes) are you comparing it to?
Eric...
As mentioned earlier, my 2000 S came with and analog phone and within a few months of ownership I was spent $500 for a digital Startac. The phone quality, along with any audio item in the car, like AM radio, was horrendous throughout the entire 4 years I owned the car. At one point the dealer even suggested replacing the rear window. The phone NEVER worked right. My next integrated communication system came in October 2003 on my 2004 S. Although "better" in sound quality, I still have people tell me I sound like I'm talking in a a barrel! A few months later I changed carriers (my choice, I know) and spent another $525 for a Verizon version of the Motorola V60. The new phone for some reason is slightly thicker and doesn't fit in the cradle properly. Also 4 out of 10 times the phone doesn't turn itself on when I enter/start the car. This is just NOT one of MB's better areas. I think a bluetooth headset may be my next choice. (my dealer still has my Cingular V60 if you need one)
Old 12-29-2004, 06:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL500 and A-CLASS
Purchase this kit and you can use most of the motorola phones. The syteme only works with d2b.

http://www.mikbox.com