Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-25-2005, 05:36 PM
Bux
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
G
went for service and 1st thing they checked was for pulley

i went in for a regular service "A" and right before i signed off and got handed the loaner car keys he popped to check for pullies so asked him if i did have it and he said my warranty would go void (ya ya i know they have to link it to a problem before they can pull that bs) but it's still dumb that they say that
Old 01-25-2005, 08:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2002 C32 Black/Charcoal
A dumbass mechanic, what a concept.

(no offense Evosport) :p
Old 01-25-2005, 09:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 E550, 2011 BMW 335i
i was under the impression that it is pretty difficult to see new a new pulley setup... atleast when i went to evosport they said that, they said they paint it, to make it look stock...This post kinda scares me, cause im on order to get one within the next couple of days...Roozy im assuming your car is a C55 since this is your first service???
Old 01-25-2005, 11:40 PM

2002 C32 AMG
Nope its not a dumba$$ mechanic....it happened to me to here in Houtown at Merc. of Greenway while taking my care for that damn air pump failure. The people at front wont even let you talk to a mechanic....they are to stay indoors while you talk to some blowhard prettyboy who knows nothing about the car.

Grrr.....

Torerito
Old 01-26-2005, 12:29 AM

E55, C32, ML320
Originally Posted by ro0zy
i went in for a regular service "A" and right before i signed off and got handed the loaner car keys he popped to check for pullies so asked him if i did have it and he said my warranty would go void (ya ya i know they have to link it to a problem before they can pull that bs) but it's still dumb that they say that
They can't get out of regular service if you had pulleys. What were they thinking? Furthermore, the only way they can avoid warranty work is to prove that the problem is due to the modifications.
Old 01-26-2005, 12:42 AM

E55, C32, ML320
Originally Posted by more151please
i was under the impression that it is pretty difficult to see new a new pulley setup... atleast when i went to evosport they said that, they said they paint it, to make it look stock...This post kinda scares me, cause im on order to get one within the next couple of days...Roozy im assuming your car is a C55 since this is your first service???
I believe the PS pulley has white lettering with the company name on it. It is quite noticable unless you paint over it yourself. That may have changed since I got my pulleys a year ago. Also, if you do the intercooler upgrade, the lower valve is noticable depending on what work the dealer is doing - the valve is on the bottom of the reservoir and protrudes through the shield (you have to cut the shield). Moving the valve to the side would hide it better, possibly trading off some efficiency.

I believe Roozy drives a C32 and was going in for regular A service. A and B service generally alternate throughout the life of the car.
Old 01-26-2005, 12:45 AM

E55, C32, ML320
Originally Posted by ToreRITO
Nope its not a dumba$$ mechanic....it happened to me to here in Houtown at Merc. of Greenway while taking my care for that damn air pump failure. The people at front wont even let you talk to a mechanic....they are to stay indoors while you talk to some blowhard prettyboy who knows nothing about the car.

Grrr.....

Torerito
Nice. I'd love to see them relate an air pump failure to the pulleys. Best bet if you have mods is to find a mod-friendly dealer - even better if you can find one that would do the install for you...
Old 01-26-2005, 01:24 AM

One of my friends said that they *never* void warranties for Renntech modded cars though (similar to BMW not voiding warranties for anything Dinan). Is that true?

He said anything else (non-Renntech) is a sure thing for voiding your warranty (because Renntech has some special alliance with MB).

????
Old 01-26-2005, 05:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1996 C36 AMG, 1995 Volvo 850 Turbowagon
renntech's founder Hartmut Feyhl used to work at amg (12 yrs).
Old 01-26-2005, 09:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
C32
This is one reason I have never taken my C32 in for service in 3 1/2 years of ownership. Done all my own oil changes, and since I run aftermarket (blue) brake fluid I've done my own brake fluid flushes. These minor expenses were also worth doing myself since the dealer is 45 minutes away with a then a car ride back home. Then a day at the dealer with the mechanics hot rodding the thing. Then 45 minutes back to the dealer to get the car the next day.

My time and rear tires are more valuable than free service!
Old 01-26-2005, 11:29 AM

C32 AMG, CLK 320
The Renntech kit is hard too spot. It uses the stock belt also.
Old 01-26-2005, 11:53 AM

C32
Originally Posted by ro0zy
(ya ya i know they have to link it to a problem before they can pull that bs)
Being a previous WRX owner I can testify that the Magnuson-Moss act is about as good as the paper it is on. Merely citing this law to the dealer is as effective as telling the guy with a .40 cal Glock to your foreheard that gunpoint robberies are illegal. You'll still get robbed. The only way to ENFORCE that law is to convince a court to do it. If you think a strongly worded letter will..... think of who's holding the Glock.
Old 01-26-2005, 12:37 PM

2002 C-32 AMG Renntech
Originally Posted by AaronC
Being a previous WRX owner I can testify that the Magnuson-Moss act is about as good as the paper it is on. Merely citing this law to the dealer is as effective as telling the guy with a .40 cal Glock to your foreheard that gunpoint robberies are illegal. You'll still get robbed. The only way to ENFORCE that law is to convince a court to do it. If you think a strongly worded letter will..... think of who's holding the Glock.
LOL...about the best analogy I've seen regarding this subject.
Old 01-26-2005, 12:57 PM

No one addressed what I said earlier in the thread.

If you have Renntech parts (pulley, reflash, etc), doesn't the factory MB warranty still cover that? Don't they have some sort of agreement (similar to Dinan and BMW) where their parts are still covered under the factory MB warranty?
Old 01-26-2005, 01:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts
AMG
Originally Posted by Ryan Bell
Don't they have some sort of agreement (similar to Dinan and BMW) where their parts are still covered under the factory MB warranty?
I don't think the Mercedes-Benz warranty covers anyone else's aftermarket parts.

Do you mean that RENNTech will cover their own parts and Mercedes-Benz will not void the warranty due to the usage of non-OEM performance enhancing "tuner" parts?

In that case, I only have hearsay information. If you are looking for a contractual deal between RENNTech and Mercedes-Benz, I am guessing none exists.

EDIT: RENNTech's warranty policy is available online:
<snipped>

"No person, company, or other organization is authorized to assume for
RENNtech any warranty responsibility or make binding judgments regarding warranties of any parts, which from time to time may become subject of a warranty claim."

You pays your money and you takes your chances.

Last edited by Chappy; 01-26-2005 at 01:14 PM.
Old 01-26-2005, 02:34 PM

C32
Originally Posted by Ryan Bell
(similar to Dinan and BMW)
Dinan and BMWNA have no relationship. The only time you will get preferential treatment is if the dealer working on the car sells dinan products. If they don’t, they consider the Dinan parts no different then they would ACS or anyone else.

The same would be true for Renntech. If the dealer, where the car is being serviced, sells their parts the Renntech mods would probably be ignored. Otherwise you are in the same position.

There is an upside to having a MB. MOST dealers are not looking for mods because the average MB owner will leave the car in stock shape. Your chances of them trying to void your warranty are pretty small.
Old 01-26-2005, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by AaronC

There is an upside to having a MB. MOST dealers are not looking for mods becasue the average MB owner will leave the car in stock shape. Your chances of them trying to void your warranty are pretty small.

Very true! Especially if the pulley looks stock, etc.
Old 01-26-2005, 09:52 PM
Bux
MBWorld Fanatic!

G
Originally Posted by ToreRITO

Grrr.....

Torerito
thats where i go ...last time i went in for an oil change and i just walked to the bay and got to watch everything he was doing
Old 01-26-2005, 09:53 PM
Bux
MBWorld Fanatic!

G
Originally Posted by more151please
Roozy im assuming your car is a C55 since this is your first service???

no i have a c32 and service plan alternates from service A to service B, then again service A etc..
Old 01-26-2005, 10:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Cars and boats!
maybe he was checking if hte crank pulley is damaged... the rubber seal on teh OEM crank pulleys have the tendency to go bad sometimes...which can lead to a pretty bad catastrophy.