C36 AMG, C43 AMG (W202) 1995 - 2000

A/C condenser replacement

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-15-2005, 08:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C43AMG 1999
A/C condenser replacement

Has anyone done this? Is it easy to do on a C43?
Radiator is fine, i just need the leaking condenser replaced.
Major question is: do i need to take the whole radiator/condenser assembly out or can i just disconnect the condenser and take it out without messing around with the cooling system.
If not, should i go to an AC shop or a radiator shop to do this. I'd guess radiator shop first to replace the part and AC shop second to recharge the system.
I can charge it myself except there is probably some air in there now because of the leak and i need to get it out first i'm guessing . . .
Old 06-15-2005, 11:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1967 Morris Cooper "S", 1983 911SC, 1997 Toyota Tacoma, 1999 HD FXSTB, 1998 C43
A/C and Condenser

Hey Hangup, I would take it to a reputable A/C shop or a good independent in tha area. Mainly because once your system has been opened up you're going to have to put the system under vacuum and get rid of all the moisture in the ancillary components. Keep us posted on the progress, wish I could be of more help.
Old 06-16-2005, 09:42 PM

C43AMG 1999
reputable shop

Originally Posted by StapleGun
Hey Hangup, I would take it to a reputable A/C shop or a good independent in tha area. Mainly because once your system has been opened up you're going to have to put the system under vacuum and get rid of all the moisture in the ancillary components. Keep us posted on the progress, wish I could be of more help.
i'll definitely take it to a shop to vacuum and refill (refrigerant and oil).
but i'm not sure i'll let them touch her as far as replacing the part is concerned
it it gets warmer here in Boston area this weekend i'll investigate the replacement procedure, i think radiator doesn't need to be touched so i should be able to do it myself in a couple of hours.
Old 06-17-2005, 10:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Ac

I'm with you, you should be able to do that work yourself.
Old 06-17-2005, 10:14 AM

'95 S500C, '96 C36, '86 190E, '72 280SEL
There is a write-up over at Club202 on how to do this: http://www.club202.com/forums/showth...&threadid=7108
Old 06-17-2005, 11:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AC Write-up

Make sure you look at write up hangup and thanks for the link stox
Old 06-17-2005, 01:59 PM

C43AMG 1999
Originally Posted by stox
There is a write-up over at Club202 on how to do this: http://www.club202.com/forums/showth...&threadid=7108
wow! thanks a lot for the link. just what i needed. great timing too . . . this weekend might turn out OK, i might remove it this weekend or at least take a good look at it. i really want to understand why it leaked behind the fan . . . maybe it's just a stone hitting it but i'd like to look around first.
interesting point that dude made is not to buy online. i was going to buy online too
i guess i'll have to be extra careful. maybe i'll call a few places around here . . . maybe someone has it in stock.
anybody knows any good reputable seller?
Staple, i already asked the same guy who supplied us with MAFs maybe he has it too.
Old 06-17-2005, 02:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AC & Condenser

Hey Hangup, I don't envy your weekend project. Good luck on the condenser, let us know who has the best deal and if all works out okay. Have a good weekend!
Old 06-17-2005, 02:35 PM

C43AMG 1999
Hey Hangup, I don't envy your weekend project. Good luck on the condenser, let us know who has the best deal and if all works out okay. Have a good weekend!
why don't you envy my weekend project
i was at first hoping that i could do this without touching the cooling system.
this writeup is for a slightly different benz and he did drain and move it . . . so i'm not looking forward to that part.
a friend of mine had some manuals for yet another model (closer match maybe CLK430 or something, it think it uses the same part number for the condenser) and there they didn't drain the radiator, but there was a step there to move it back a little bit "for better access to the condenser".
i'm not sure maybe that step was optional.
i don't know, i'm OK with having no AC, it's not that hot here yet, but i really like to avoid touching the radiator at all cost. I'm going to investigate this weekend (no part yet anyway) and if i don't feel good about it i'll start looking for a good radiator shop.
so just an investigation for now. envy me!!!
Old 06-17-2005, 03:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Ac

Hey hangup, AC is not an option here....it's 95 degrees and 105 degrees with humidity (heat index) - AC is a must! I hope you can accomplish the repair as painlessly as possible. Do you have a garage up in Boston where you're at?
Old 06-17-2005, 04:18 PM

C43AMG 1999
Hey hangup, AC is not an option here....it's 95 degrees and 105 degrees with humidity (heat index) - AC is a must! I hope you can accomplish the repair as painlessly as possible. Do you have a garage up in Boston where you're at?
no i'm one of those cheap *******s who live in a garden style condo.
i do have a parking garage at work though, i use it sometimes for small jobs like brake pads, etc. nobody seems to mind
i wish i could find a ramp somewhere . . . i thought i had a place a couple of years ago, very close to home too, within walking distance. but i went there this year and the ramp was gone
Old 06-18-2005, 03:04 PM

C43AMG 1999
i hear ya! you don't want to get stuck in traffic on I15 or something with a broken A/C . . . you can easily pass out and even die.
over here on the other hand it's very unlikely. so i'll take my A/C repairs slow and easy
i pulled the bad condensor out today. it was a bit of a beaoch to do, but i managed to do it without draining the radiator or touching any of it's hoses. didn't have to touch the radiator fan and housing either.
but . . . i had to remove both airducts and also removing the bumer helped a lot.
i didn't really have to remove the bumper for this, but i was going to anyway to fix one of the fog lights. since the car was not raised at all i had very little access to the condenser pipe nuts and removing the bumper helped a lot in that regard.
i also found out that the license place cover wasn't attached to tbe bumper properly on one side and one side of the bumber wasn't properly mounted and was shaking and making noises while driven.
who assembled this thing i wonder??? on one side one of the air covers was screwed to the bumper too (i think it was not supposed to be that way, the other end had no such thing). this is really weird. i bought the car used but it was still on warranty and just off the lease. serviced by MB only.
well, when i buy my next used C43 i'll know what to look for

some preventative maintenance tips for those who still have a working condenser . . .
there is a lot of crap being accumulated behind each fan. this crap starts conducting heat from the fan to the condenser eventually causing some chemical failure at the spot where it makes contact with the condenser.
you may want to prolong the life of your part by either removing the fans and removing all the deposints, possibly with the vaccum. or perhaps using a compressed air can without removing the fans, just stick a hose between the fan and the condensor from the top and let some air out so that the crap accumulated between the fan and the condenser falls down.
mine lasted for 6 years so others may start to fail . . . if i knew that two years ago i could have avoided costly and time consuming repairs.
Old 06-21-2005, 10:42 AM

C43AMG 1999
behr or valeo

still trying to figure out if i want behr or valeo. apparently it depends on the VIN, not all 99 C43s are born equal
the dude who sold MAFs to us has behr at a reasonable price.
there are lots of other "not so OEM" parts out there from $113 and up. but i don't want to risk it and get the wrong part . . . same thing has happened to the dude who did a writeup on club202.
btw, he had the same kind of leak in the same spot.
and my buddy at the dealer said that with my climate i'm likely to get this again . . . so i think doing some cleaning over there really makes sense.
Old 07-04-2005, 02:40 PM

C43AMG 1999
almost done

in case anyone cares here is what happened:
1) ordered new a/c condenser for 248
2) it was supposed to be behr but received ACM. i thought i saw ACM on e-bay for 188??? did i get screwed? maybe, but at this point i don't care.
3) this weekend i finally had time to work on the car again. i was able to fit the new a/c condenser OK. two issues i wasted the most time on were:
a) had to drain the main radiator. i'm not sure how exactly was i able to pull the old condenser out without draing it, but it was a couple of weeks ago and i couldn't remember. it's tight in there . . . so draining is probably a better option anyways if i just did it first before trying to fit the condenser without draining the radiator i'd have saved at least an hour.
b) connecting the pipes back to it was a beaoch to do, the large pipe went in OK, but the small pipe is sticking up at such angle that i needed to be extra careful to fit it in and tighten the nut without stripping the aluminum condenser. my advice is not to assemble the whole thing back together prior to fitting these pipes. first, connect the pipes, tighten the nuts, then secure the rest of the stuff together. this way you'll be able to get the upper pipe in at a proper angle easier.

so basically next step is to go to a shop, vaccum it out and recharge it.
i pray that it's not going to leak at the condenser connection points or anywhere else
o-rings looked OK, i've reconditioned them with some petroleum gelly.
with some luck i'll have a working A/C again soon
Old 07-05-2005, 03:32 PM

Two tips:

1. Always replace O-rings
2. Anytime you open the system you should replace Rec/Drier
Old 06-06-2007, 09:48 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by vinamg
2. Anytime you open the system you should replace Rec/Drier
Why?
Old 06-06-2007, 08:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Wow - revived an 'oldie' Anyways, the receiver/dryer contains a dessicant, once the system is opened for any amount of time (short of a couple minutes) it will saturate with moisture and no longer remove trace amounts of moisture in the system.