C36 AMG, C43 AMG (W202) 1995 - 2000

Source of Transmission for C43

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-16-2005, 03:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Obsidian Black C43, Silver C43, Silver Carlsson E-class wagon, Brabus G-class
Source of Transmission for C43

Here's an info of where you can purchase transmission at less than $2000. For people who own 1998 C43s, you'll most likely have to deal with the cost of replacing the trasmission no matter how much you change your tranny oil. I had to change the tranny at 79K and recently my other one just died. Keep in mind that I replaced the oil on the 2nd C43 more regularly because of the experience I had with the first tranny failure. I really thought that I would have no problems with the second C43 because I didn't drive it as hard. For people buying pre-owned C43s, don't be discouraged. By spending around $3K altogether on a tranny, it is still a hell of a car for the money.

Phoenix Remanufactured Transmissions
623-936-1500

They quoted me $1,895
Old 08-16-2005, 04:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
98 Black C43 , 08' ML320 CDI ,11 E63
Great piece of information , thanx !
Old 08-16-2005, 04:46 PM

1997 C36 AMG
Originally Posted by fastneutron
Here's an info of where you can purchase transmission at less than $2000. For people who own 1998 C43s, you'll most likely have to deal with the cost of replacing the trasmission no matter how much you change your tranny oil. I had to change the tranny at 79K and recently my other one just died. Keep in mind that I replaced the oil on the 2nd C43 more regularly because of the experience I had with the first tranny failure. I really thought that I would have no problems with the second C43 because I didn't drive it as hard. For people buying pre-owned C43s, don't be discouraged. By spending around $3K altogether on a tranny, it is still a hell of a car for the money.

Phoenix Remanufactured Transmissions
623-936-1500

They quoted me $1,895
what years of C43 do you have ?
Did you take note at what mileage the transmission went south on either of them ?

I am trying to gather a poll to get count how many owner AMG and non-AMG who had the transmission replaced Here

Regardz,

J Irwan
Old 08-16-2005, 05:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

You need to get a REBUILT transmission altogether. The problem lies in the transmission itself and buying new ones will not fix that. YOu need a knowledgeable mechanic who can rebuild a tranny thats with reinforced parts. This is the only solution to the problem. The rest are just temporary fixes...
Old 08-16-2005, 06:55 PM

Both are 1998. 1 failed at 79K and the other at 107K. These are my 2 long distance runners back and forth L.A. and San Jose. What sucks is both of them failed when warranty ended. The one that failed at 107K expired a couple of months ago and warranty was only up to 100K.

Does anyone know if the 2001 W210 E55 and 2001 W208 CLK55 have the same transmission issues?
Old 08-16-2005, 08:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

none
Excellent Post bud, it's posts like this that make the board really worth while. I have had my C43 about two weeks now and have learned more than ever. I have even put a little $$ jar aside for a tranny fund if need be. Considering I was planning on getting $5000.00 in there your quote at $2000.00 makes me pretty happy.

Truly a great car either way. I hope to be able to offer info like this as my experience with the vehicle expands.
Old 08-16-2005, 10:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C43/55,2k11 Volvo S60 T6AWD,2k Audi B5 S4,95 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD 500+awhp
Originally Posted by fastneutron
Both are 1998. 1 failed at 79K and the other at 107K. These are my 2 long distance runners back and forth L.A. and San Jose. What sucks is both of them failed when warranty ended. The one that failed at 107K expired a couple of months ago and warranty was only up to 100K.

Does anyone know if the 2001 W210 E55 and 2001 W208 CLK55 have the same transmission issues?
I find that all the AMG V8's(C43,99-2001 E,S,SL,CL,CLK 55's) share the same tranny.The F/I cars have the different and better trannies.
Old 08-18-2005, 10:36 AM

My mechanic told me that he will also replace the EGS (Electronic Gear System?not sure). I think it's also called transmission module. He said that it is the main reason why the transmissions are failing. The EGS is causing the clutch to slip causing the gears to produce metallic particles that would contaminate the fluid. If the fluid does not get changed, it will lead to failure. I didn't think it slipped as much as my first C43, but who knows. I didn't have the EGS replaced on it. It did slip significantly immediately after changing the transmission, but I guess eventually it adapted and now works just fine. It did slip once in awhile when I really punch it, but it improved when I replaced the MAF (I had a couple of error codes). The periodic slipping is still there. I just wished that Mercedes would have put more efforts into fixing this weakness in the transmission.

As some of you had stated, you have to make sure that whoever is going to rebuild your transmission will use reinforced parts. As a new information for me, changed the EGS with updated software. I though that the software can just be updated. Old information is change your tranny fluid at least every 30K miles.
Old 08-18-2005, 12:05 PM

1997 C36 AMG
Originally Posted by J Lucas
You need to get a REBUILT transmission altogether. The problem lies in the transmission itself and buying new ones will not fix that. YOu need a knowledgeable mechanic who can rebuild a tranny thats with reinforced parts. This is the only solution to the problem. The rest are just temporary fixes...

In my opinion the problem lies within long-term durability of the transmission unit along with the statement of lifetime fluid which most mechanic crowd doesn't sound to convinced ......

Its the same way with Mazda RX-7 gen 3 which has a recommendation for the turbo to be rebuilt every 45k (if I am not mistaken) and engine rebuilt every 8xK.

If you have problem with worn clutch then it cannot be helped, but if your transmission failed because of the failing valve body (sp?) retainer than you might be able to upgrade the internal part.

I myself would net get a rebuilt transmission if doesn't came from mercedes (any Mercedes dealership are not authorized to take apart the 722.x transmission as it listed as sealed transmission).
I know another owner who has the tranmssion issue, rough shifting and flaring (shifting delays) and has an independent mechanic open up and rebuilt the internal part. And as a result the tranny only lasted about 1.5 years...

Regardz,

Last edited by J Irwan; 08-18-2005 at 12:12 PM.
Old 08-18-2005, 12:08 PM

1997 C36 AMG
Originally Posted by coolcarlskiC43
I find that all the AMG V8's(C43,99-2001 E,S,SL,CL,CLK 55's) share the same tranny.The F/I cars have the different and better trannies.
correction there is no 2001 SL55 (R231), their first MY is 2003

Also all C43 up to 99 will still be affected. Starting with the 2000 (where all cars has tiptronic) they have updated internal part such newer design valve body retainer spring, etc..

Regardz,
Old 08-21-2005, 05:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
AMG
My understanding is that the W208 CLK55 and W210 E55 shared the same tranny sourced from the V12.

***edit*** (read the underlined part)
<snipped from Edmunds>

First Drive: 2001 Mercedes-Benz CLK55 AMG
The Fastest Mercedes Ever

By Edmunds.com Editors
Date posted: 01-04-2001

Like all businesses, the one Hans Werner Aufrecht and Erhard Melcher conceived in the town of Groaspach, Germany, 34 years ago, started with big hopes for success. Taking the initials of the two founders last names and their hometown, they called the company AMG. Those hopes have been exceeded.

And excessive is exactly the word to describe the new Mercedes-Benz CLK55 AMG.

The CLK55 is Mercedes' smallest coupe (seen before as the 3.2-liter V6-powered CLK320 and 4.3-liter V8-equipped CLK430) transmogrified by the insertion of AMG's biggest and most powerful V8. It's a mutant, warped by the presence of the hand-assembled 5.5-liter engine under its hood that throbs out 342 horsepower and enough torque to pull the truth out of the Warren Commission.

Forget everything else about the car; it's the engine that's the star here. And it's a familiar star; the same motor that's in the ML55 AMG sport-ute, the E55 midsize four-door and soon the forthcoming CL55 and S55 full-size coupe and sedan. Except for the displacement (which, at 5439cc, is a stretch for AMG to call a 5.5-liter) the general engine specs are rather ordinary Mercedes-stuff.

As in every other current Mercedes V8, the AMG 5.5's block is aluminum, there's a single cam over every aluminum head operating two intake valves and one exhaust valve per cylinder, and each of those cylinders is fired by two spark plugs. But AMG adds a forged-steel crankshaft with a long 92mm stroke (up from the 5.0-liter version's 84mm), installs hollow, lightweight modular camshafts of longer duration, and shapes every combustion chamber for maximum airflow. An oversize air cleaner allows the ingestion of atmosphere in Superdome-size gulps while a modified intake plenum makes sure that air is distributed efficiently. It's all basic no-replacement-for-displacement hot rodding and it works.

The AMG V8 ignites to a rumbling idle that's less muted in the CLK than in the E55 or ML55, and revs with a snarl that's startling in its ferocity. It's lashed to a five-speed automatic transmission stolen from Mercedes' V12 parts bin that's fortified with a larger housing and had "Touch Shift" added, which is the company's take on the mania for shiftable automatics (it works by bouncing the shifter to the left for downshifts and to the right for upshifts). As far as shiftable automatics go, this one works well. But hardcore drivers will still crave a six-speed manual.

Mercedes claims the CLK55 will bolt to 60 mph in just 4.9 seconds, making it the quickest car they've ever sold in the United States. But it's not speed itself that welds this car to a driver's soul; it's the overwhelming sensation of thrust. AMG's magic tweaks have this engine making heaps of torque from just off idle to a peak 376 foot-pounds at just 3,000 rpm. It's muscle car-like; more akin to a '70 Chevy Chevelle SS 454 LS-6 than this car's most obvious direct competition, the 333-horsepower 2001 BMW M3 which produces its 262 foot-pounds maximum at a screaming 7,900 rpm. This is an engine that doesn't need to rev to perform. But it will rev ravenously until the car hits its 155-mph speed limiter.

The engine is so flexible, so friendly and so forgiving that it would flatter a Conestoga's chassis. But AMG optimizes the CLK55 by tightening the ride motions with stiffer springs, tighter shock valving and thicker anti-sway bars on the double-wishbone front and five-link rear independent rear suspension. Surprisingly, the AMG "Monoblock" wheels and tires remain the same size as those on the CLK430. That means the front 17x7.5-inch wheels are encased in 225/45ZR17 rubber and the rear 17x8.5-inchers in 245/40ZR17. That's plenty of tire and while the steering lacks the instant reflexes and confident communication of a BMW, this is the best Mercedes has yet offered.

On a track, having fun in the CLK55 means turning off the standard ESP stability control and ASR traction control (both of which are unobtrusive and effective on the street). Diving into a corner, the car clamps down with massive 13.2-inch diameter front discs and the driver can drift the tail to overcome the car's inherent understeer with easily managed throttle. It's wonderful.

If there's anything disappointing about the CLK55 it's that there's no way to easily distinguish it from a regular CLK430. There are xenon headlamps and the body bits are slightly different between the two cars, but the wheel design is similar and it'll take a real connoisseur to tell the two apart instantly.

As in every CLK, the AMG version's innards are tastefully appointed and roomier than many larger coupes. The front seats are snug enough for wacky driving antics and broad enough to accommodate even wide-butt journalists. There are maybe too many controls on the steering wheel, and the radio and ventilation controls need deciphering by an archaeologist versed in Germanic culture, but acclimation comes quickly. In an accident the driver and front passenger get front, door, and side curtain airbags and Mercedes' Tele Aid system will summon help by transmitting the car's GPS-determined location to the authorities. The only options are a CD changer, phone, and navigation system, though buyers do get to choose between two Designo color and trim packages. At a $67,400 base price (almost $18,000 pricier than a CLK430), everything should be standard.

Hans and Erhard's business grew so successful in both tuning and racing that Mercedes bought them out in 1999 and now uses AMG as an in-house tuning shop and competition department. With cars like the CLK55 wearing their initials, they've got to be happy about more than the size of their buyout checks.

Last edited by Chappy; 08-21-2005 at 06:09 PM.
Old 08-21-2005, 10:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Damn! 67k! Chappy those CLK's were so Damn expensive!
Originally Posted by Chappy
My understanding is that the W208 CLK55 and W210 E55 shared the same tranny sourced from the V12.

***edit*** (read the underlined part)
<snipped from Edmunds>

First Drive: 2001 Mercedes-Benz CLK55 AMG
The Fastest Mercedes Ever

By Edmunds.com Editors
Date posted: 01-04-2001

Like all businesses, the one Hans Werner Aufrecht and Erhard Melcher conceived in the town of Groaspach, Germany, 34 years ago, started with big hopes for success. Taking the initials of the two founders last names and their hometown, they called the company AMG. Those hopes have been exceeded.

And excessive is exactly the word to describe the new Mercedes-Benz CLK55 AMG.

The CLK55 is Mercedes' smallest coupe (seen before as the 3.2-liter V6-powered CLK320 and 4.3-liter V8-equipped CLK430) transmogrified by the insertion of AMG's biggest and most powerful V8. It's a mutant, warped by the presence of the hand-assembled 5.5-liter engine under its hood that throbs out 342 horsepower and enough torque to pull the truth out of the Warren Commission.

Forget everything else about the car; it's the engine that's the star here. And it's a familiar star; the same motor that's in the ML55 AMG sport-ute, the E55 midsize four-door and soon the forthcoming CL55 and S55 full-size coupe and sedan. Except for the displacement (which, at 5439cc, is a stretch for AMG to call a 5.5-liter) the general engine specs are rather ordinary Mercedes-stuff.

As in every other current Mercedes V8, the AMG 5.5's block is aluminum, there's a single cam over every aluminum head operating two intake valves and one exhaust valve per cylinder, and each of those cylinders is fired by two spark plugs. But AMG adds a forged-steel crankshaft with a long 92mm stroke (up from the 5.0-liter version's 84mm), installs hollow, lightweight modular camshafts of longer duration, and shapes every combustion chamber for maximum airflow. An oversize air cleaner allows the ingestion of atmosphere in Superdome-size gulps while a modified intake plenum makes sure that air is distributed efficiently. It's all basic no-replacement-for-displacement hot rodding and it works.

The AMG V8 ignites to a rumbling idle that's less muted in the CLK than in the E55 or ML55, and revs with a snarl that's startling in its ferocity. It's lashed to a five-speed automatic transmission stolen from Mercedes' V12 parts bin that's fortified with a larger housing and had "Touch Shift" added, which is the company's take on the mania for shiftable automatics (it works by bouncing the shifter to the left for downshifts and to the right for upshifts). As far as shiftable automatics go, this one works well. But hardcore drivers will still crave a six-speed manual.

Mercedes claims the CLK55 will bolt to 60 mph in just 4.9 seconds, making it the quickest car they've ever sold in the United States. But it's not speed itself that welds this car to a driver's soul; it's the overwhelming sensation of thrust. AMG's magic tweaks have this engine making heaps of torque from just off idle to a peak 376 foot-pounds at just 3,000 rpm. It's muscle car-like; more akin to a '70 Chevy Chevelle SS 454 LS-6 than this car's most obvious direct competition, the 333-horsepower 2001 BMW M3 which produces its 262 foot-pounds maximum at a screaming 7,900 rpm. This is an engine that doesn't need to rev to perform. But it will rev ravenously until the car hits its 155-mph speed limiter.

The engine is so flexible, so friendly and so forgiving that it would flatter a Conestoga's chassis. But AMG optimizes the CLK55 by tightening the ride motions with stiffer springs, tighter shock valving and thicker anti-sway bars on the double-wishbone front and five-link rear independent rear suspension. Surprisingly, the AMG "Monoblock" wheels and tires remain the same size as those on the CLK430. That means the front 17x7.5-inch wheels are encased in 225/45ZR17 rubber and the rear 17x8.5-inchers in 245/40ZR17. That's plenty of tire and while the steering lacks the instant reflexes and confident communication of a BMW, this is the best Mercedes has yet offered.

On a track, having fun in the CLK55 means turning off the standard ESP stability control and ASR traction control (both of which are unobtrusive and effective on the street). Diving into a corner, the car clamps down with massive 13.2-inch diameter front discs and the driver can drift the tail to overcome the car's inherent understeer with easily managed throttle. It's wonderful.

If there's anything disappointing about the CLK55 it's that there's no way to easily distinguish it from a regular CLK430. There are xenon headlamps and the body bits are slightly different between the two cars, but the wheel design is similar and it'll take a real connoisseur to tell the two apart instantly.

As in every CLK, the AMG version's innards are tastefully appointed and roomier than many larger coupes. The front seats are snug enough for wacky driving antics and broad enough to accommodate even wide-butt journalists. There are maybe too many controls on the steering wheel, and the radio and ventilation controls need deciphering by an archaeologist versed in Germanic culture, but acclimation comes quickly. In an accident the driver and front passenger get front, door, and side curtain airbags and Mercedes' Tele Aid system will summon help by transmitting the car's GPS-determined location to the authorities. The only options are a CD changer, phone, and navigation system, though buyers do get to choose between two Designo color and trim packages. At a $67,400 base price (almost $18,000 pricier than a CLK430), everything should be standard.

Hans and Erhard's business grew so successful in both tuning and racing that Mercedes bought them out in 1999 and now uses AMG as an in-house tuning shop and competition department. With cars like the CLK55 wearing their initials, they've got to be happy about more than the size of their buyout checks.
Old 08-22-2005, 07:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
AMG
Damn! 67k! Chappy those CLK's were so Damn expensive!
....plus tax...
Old 09-14-2005, 12:07 AM

Does anyone know if the 1997 c36 transmision is the same as all the failing c43 tranny's.
And would you think that because you are running less power through c36 tranny that it is also putting less stress on it (making it less prone to failing)?
Old 09-14-2005, 12:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by kcp1980
Does anyone know if the 1997 c36 transmision is the same as all the failing c43 tranny's.
And would you think that because you are running less power through c36 tranny that it is also putting less stress on it (making it less prone to failing)?
Is the 97 a 5spd tranny? Good question but I'm leaning towards no. I'll find out in the afternoon if they are the same. And NO! The motor output on the 4.3L motor is not what destroys these trannies.
Old 09-15-2005, 12:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by J Irwan
In my opinion the problem lies within long-term durability of the transmission unit along with the statement of lifetime fluid which most mechanic crowd doesn't sound to convinced ......

Its the same way with Mazda RX-7 gen 3 which has a recommendation for the turbo to be rebuilt every 45k (if I am not mistaken) and engine rebuilt every 8xK.

If you have problem with worn clutch then it cannot be helped, but if your transmission failed because of the failing valve body (sp?) retainer than you might be able to upgrade the internal part.

I myself would net get a rebuilt transmission if doesn't came from mercedes (any Mercedes dealership are not authorized to take apart the 722.x transmission as it listed as sealed transmission).
I know another owner who has the tranmssion issue, rough shifting and flaring (shifting delays) and has an independent mechanic open up and rebuilt the internal part. And as a result the tranny only lasted about 1.5 years...

Regardz,
Hehe who exactly is this "Mercedes" person you speak of that repairs trannies? My mechanic used to work for MBUSA for 15 + years, I hope thats good enough because everyone I spoke to referred me to him. I just had my 3rd transmission fluid change post rebuild and I couldnt be happier. The key is that the fluid must be changed within 2 weeks of the rebuild and every 3 months or so thereafter depending on driving habits.

The other owner you speak of, maybe thats just his car or driving habits but that in no way should be mistaken for the norm.

I raced against my friends clk430 and I beat him to 100 mph consecutively and my car has 30k more miles than his does and he has wider tiders. The transmission shifts so strong and firm now that everytime i change gears its silky smooth and fast. I no longer get that rough shift from 2nd to 1st and the car just doesnt stop accelerating either.

Like I said i cant be happier.
Old 09-16-2005, 04:01 PM

1998 C43, White over two tone
A thought: Doe anyone have a friend/aquiatance that is really good with transmissions? It seems that even the rebuilt ones are failing and that changing the fluid may seem to help, but not prevent problems. If we could get someone to custom build a transmission specifically for our cars and engines and then get a group of us together, maybe we could get a good solid tranny and with the group buy have it set up for a decent price. I have a buddy of mine checking around, but he mainly deals with Japanese rice burners, but there has to be someone who could assemble a solid tranny for this car.

Jeff
Old 09-16-2005, 04:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1967 Morris Cooper "S", 1983 911SC, 1997 Toyota Tacoma, 1999 HD FXSTB, 1998 C43
Tranny

Hey Jeff,
Did you do a flush and fill yet??? BTW...I mailed you pics of the wheel and are posted as well.
Old 09-17-2005, 11:51 AM

1998 C43, White over two tone
My shifter cable was leaking, so when I had MB fix it under Starmark they had to empty and fill it. Probably didn't do a flush and get into the torque converter but at least it is all new OME fluid in there. will probably have a flush done soon, looking for a wynn's machine here in town actually. Haven't been able to find one.