C36 AMG, C43 AMG (W202) 1995 - 2000

C43 Value/depreciation

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-13-2006, 10:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C43 Value/depreciation

Anyone care to discuss/comment on why the market value of C43's is where it is? I find it a bit peculiar that a $50,000+ initial sale price car that is less than 8 years old has dropped to a price tag of just around $15,000.
Now, if I look at the C-class, it may be the "underling" of the MB line, but its no slouch of a vehicle. Compare it to its BMW counterpart, the e36 M3, and you'll find the MB is better off when it comes to comfort/luxury.

Performance, well we could debate that virtue all day long, correct? So we'll just focus on the vehicles as a whole...

I see the MB C43 price level hanging around $13-15,000 for a clean sub 100,000 mile example. Compare that to an E36 M3 which originally sold for around $36-38,000, and you're looking at $17-19,000 present FMV(Fair Market Value).

Is this purely the virtue of one vehicle having a manual over an automatic? Are there inherent issues/qualms/concerns people have with the C43 that has dropped its price to this level? Is the seemingly larger enthusiast base/support for the M3 helping to bolster its FMV?

This isn't meant to be a discussion that leads to speaking to the pro's/con's of either vehicle. It's also not meant to speak to a level of quality/value on either. I'm sure we all know that purchasing a vehicle should never really be looked upon as an investment.... not when it comes to something you really want to enjoy.

I hope others will be willing to comment and share their opions on this matter.

Kind Regards,
Christopher
Old 11-13-2006, 11:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
e55
actually your numbers are off a bit. THe E36 M3 market has already crashed under the $10k mark. even 99's are selling for stupid cheap. I have seen C43's go on ebay for as low as $8800. its only gonna get worse in the next year or two but after the 204 comes out the price should stabilize that that level. You think thats bad. look at SL65's, it must be the fastest depreciating car of all time. $185k sticker car is already selling as long as $110k buy it now, most are around the $120k mark. For a car that is less than 2 years old. thats a $75k loss in less than 2 years lol. The smart people buy in these types of opportunities. I am looking at C36's and i am trying to buy one soon. I saw one on ebay go for $7100, so they are already getting stupid cheap. There are some fantastic buys out there. only downside is if you already own the car u are gonna take a hit. No way around it.
Old 11-14-2006, 12:13 AM

Received 262 Likes on 168 Posts
Originally Posted by ChristopherL
Is the seemingly larger enthusiast base/support for the M3 helping to bolster its FMV?
That's exactly it.

The C43 was made in very small quantities compared to the M3 (which was over $40k comparably equipped, BTW) and never really marketed by MB, so it's a relatively unknown vehicle. Unlike the M3, which has become an icon.
Old 11-14-2006, 01:06 AM

2005 E55, 1959 220s Cabriolet, some other stuff too...
If you have a pristine, stock, well-kept, low mileage C43 with documentation that is a good color combination and has been garaged you will be able to get a premium, probably mid to high teens. Higher mileage cars that are in average condition or cars that have been beat on will bring low teens or even under $10k as one of you noted.

A buyer that wants a nice car and has the $$$ doesn't want some riced out car with intake covers, or custom stereos or any of this other garbage. I am sorry, but this is the truth. Some of you that invest (waste) your money on this stuff need to know this.

I sold my perfect 1998 C43 (it was loaded, silver, never in an accident and had 67k miles) earlier this year for $18,500.00. Perhaps I did get a premium, but I had the car since 1999 and it was very lovingly cared for and fully documented. If you have a nice example and you are willing to advertise it until it sells (perhaps for months) you can get a premium like I did, but the car has to be perfect and you cannot be in a hurry to sell it and it has to be the real deal.

If you are somebody looking for a C43 for $7k or $8k, yes you can probably find one, but it will be some auction rat car that has been flogged and is tired or rough or both.

The C43 is a special car. It was an early AMG car really before the AMGs were well known. Today they are well advertised. Back then, they were a very special, unknown car. I remember walking into a MB dealership back in 1998 and seeing a new C43 and asking the salesperson about it. She said, that is a very rare and special car. She did not even know much about it. I knew I wanted one at that point and I needed another year to save some money and get one. The M3s has been around for years and everyone knows what they are. They are not bad cars, but I would rather have a C43.

You will command the most money from a person that always wanted a C43 and could not afford one back then, and they are looking now. They will most likely want a stock, unmolested car. This is kind of like them being able to buy a new one, now. There are exceptions to this and every rule. I am just speaking for myself and the people that I have sold (enthusiast) cars to in the past.

Anyway, good luck. I just wanted to interject my opinions. I am sure some will agree and some will disagree.
Old 11-14-2006, 08:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C43/55,2k11 Volvo S60 T6AWD,2k Audi B5 S4,95 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD 500+awhp
Originally Posted by abalto
If you have a pristine, stock, well-kept, low mileage C43 with documentation that is a good color combination and has been garaged you will be able to get a premium, probably mid to high teens. Higher mileage cars that are in average condition or cars that have been beat on will bring low teens or even under $10k as one of you noted.

A buyer that wants a nice car and has the $$$ doesn't want some riced out car with intake covers, or custom stereos or any of this other garbage. I am sorry, but this is the truth. Some of you that invest (waste) your money on this stuff need to know this.

I sold my perfect 1998 C43 (it was loaded, silver, never in an accident and had 67k miles) earlier this year for $18,500.00. Perhaps I did get a premium, but I had the car since 1999 and it was very lovingly cared for and fully documented. If you have a nice example and you are willing to advertise it until it sells (perhaps for months) you can get a premium like I did, but the car has to be perfect and you cannot be in a hurry to sell it and it has to be the real deal.

If you are somebody looking for a C43 for $7k or $8k, yes you can probably find one, but it will be some auction rat car that has been flogged and is tired or rough or both.

The C43 is a special car. It was an early AMG car really before the AMGs were well known. Today they are well advertised. Back then, they were a very special, unknown car. I remember walking into a MB dealership back in 1998 and seeing a new C43 and asking the salesperson about it. She said, that is a very rare and special car. She did not even know much about it. I knew I wanted one at that point and I needed another year to save some money and get one. The M3s has been around for years and everyone knows what they are. They are not bad cars, but I would rather have a C43.

You will command the most money from a person that always wanted a C43 and could not afford one back then, and they are looking now. They will most likely want a stock, unmolested car. This is kind of like them being able to buy a new one, now. There are exceptions to this and every rule. I am just speaking for myself and the people that I have sold (enthusiast) cars to in the past.

Anyway, good luck. I just wanted to interject my opinions. I am sure some will agree and some will disagree.
Perfect explanation I could not have said it any better!
Old 11-15-2006, 05:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1996 C36 AMG, 1995 Volvo 850 Turbowagon
suggested retail price for our 26k mile c36 one owner garaged is 15k.. similarly equipped 100k c43 should be closer to 20k. these numbers are different than trade-in or private party.. and is dependent on a pristine car.. so.. varies significantly.. location can also become a big issue.
Old 11-15-2006, 02:45 PM

2005 C55AMG, 2004 SL600, 2001 Viper ACR, 1999 C43AMG (sold)
I sold my silver 1999 C43 AMG, which I purchased new, last week. It was still in pristine condition, interior/exterior like new, 57K miles, garage kept, driven hard but NOT abused, for $22K. I had ALL records, from Mercedes dealership required service reports to oil changes, etc. The VMI report showed that nothing needed to be repaired the entire history of the car. So yes, it does depend on how it has been treated.

Just check the VMI reports on any used car to make any purchase decision. Sure, find a C43 that is selling for $8K, but I am sure the VMI report has about a 100 repair entries or more...
Old 11-15-2006, 08:10 PM

1997 C36
I have to agree, if you have a stock example and take good care of it, the resale value will tend to be higher. In 1997 a new 911 sold for about 70k, and they still hold their original value to the tune of about 50 to 65 %. My 97 C36 sold for 55 k, is one of 236 in this country and hard to find in really nice shape, yet I would be lucky to get 13 to 14 grand for it. This car is worth a lot more to me by virtue of it's uniqueness, and what AMG has done to it.
I was actually considering selling it summer 07, and getting a 330i, based on my X3, they must handle really nice. On the other hand, the C36 has an attitude that can only be replicated by a far more expensive (german) car, I think I will have my headliner done instead...
Old 12-05-2006, 07:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1967 Morris Cooper "S", 1983 911SC, 1997 Toyota Tacoma, 1999 HD FXSTB, 1998 C43
My two cents...

My take on the MB's and BMW's depreciation is what it has always been...money for repairs/parts. I have found MB's to be a fickle car, parts ain't cheap and if you take it to the dealer they simply rape you, plus it's a vested interest issue as well....no one takes care of a car like its owner.

I do all my maintenance on my vehicles thus I can live with the costs...but if it wasn't for that I probably would not own it. BMW's are even worse...parts-wise.

Also, both cars as they progress through the model years suffer from QA issues. The newer model MB's, BMW's suffer in build quality and the quality of materials as well.
Old 12-05-2006, 05:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
BMW and Mercedes
in my recent experience the C43 has an extremely wide range of values, both in terms of condition as well as geographic location. In SoCal, NYC, or S. Fla I noticed that prices were unusually low for even exceptional examples. Up here in the Pacific NW though, most cars in the 40-80k mile range were well above 20k for private party sale......most were in nice condition. I found a few auction type cars for 14-17k but these were normally slightly higher mileage, in worse condition, and obviously had questionable histories. For a dealer CPO, Starmarked (probably not going to be an option in about another year unless you are really lucky), low mileage (<50k miles), mint condition car (like I bought) you will still pay a premium. I paid well over 20k for mine, but I have the security both in the fact that I know the exact history (local car, two owners, purchased both times and serviced at the dealer where I bought it) as well as having a warranty....which has come in handy a number of times already. Just my .02 FWIW
Old 12-05-2006, 09:44 PM

E55,Tundra,Z4MC,X5
Take a look in the classified section for a prestine C43

Yes, I have decided to sell my C43 and the condition is as good as it gets.

Garaged - Yes
No accidents - Yes
Low miles - Yes
Taken care of - Yes
Original owner - Yes
As good as it gets - I hope.....

I feel that this car is worth it's value so I guess the value lies in the eye of the beholder. When you have taken care of and appreciate the vehicle, you would consider it priceless.... But then again, what someone else is willing to pay for your priceless vehicle is another story......

Check it out...it's listed in the Classified section

Last edited by Wesss; 12-06-2006 at 06:16 PM.
Old 12-06-2006, 11:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1967 Morris Cooper "S", 1983 911SC, 1997 Toyota Tacoma, 1999 HD FXSTB, 1998 C43
1999 C43

Wess - that's a gorgeous car, beautiful condition and those wheels are sharp. I'm sure you'll have no problems selling it for that price