SPS triggered ESP check on = danger machine

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-06-2007, 11:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
none
SPS triggered ESP check on = danger machine

I was going to post this up months ago. I replaced a defective tie rod a while back. Obviously wasn't able to align it myself so after installation had to drive it for a day and then to the shop for an alignment 24hours later. If the car is enough out of align it will throw a steering position sensor. This sensor iluminates the ESP and ASR(i think) lights pretty quickly. Now this ESP check light isn't the triangle you can turn off manualy but one that displays on the bottom left of the cluster. Indicating a fault somewhere. What surprised me was that is litterally was like pulling the program fuse when this check light was on. The braking and acceleration aspects of the stability program aren't there during this time.

I seriously had such a scare leaving a highway ramp that I got chest pains from it. None of the brakes grabbed to straighten out either. Right rear actually hit the grass around the corner!! off the road. After getting home I cleared the codes and the system was back to working. A little driving later and the check lights are back up. Once again, stability program is at 0% and dangerous.

This is a long rant, I was just thinking that there are probably alot of sensors that could throw these stability check lights and wanted you guys to now that it's no joke with these lights on. Nothing like shutting off the ESP triangle where the car will still jump in at some point. I also realize that many people will drive for weeks with check lights on. This isn't the light to ignore, or at least clear the code before each drive.......
Old 01-06-2007, 12:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C43/55,2k11 Volvo S60 T6AWD,2k Audi B5 S4,95 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD 500+awhp
Yep! Absolutely correct. One quick way to turn it off some times is by turning the steering wheel to the max one side at a time to shut them back off. Or in my case turn the car off and then turn it back on sometimes wrks. Like I said folks "in my case"!
Old 02-09-2007, 10:09 AM

'09 C350
ESP/BAS Light

Mine's been illuminating in the recent period of outside temps in the teens and low 20's - generally after sitting overnight. Once I drive the car for a few miles and everything warms up I can shut the car off and restart it without the light coming on. I'm beginning to realize these cars aren't especially happy in really frigid weather.... the brake warning light for a burnt out bulb tends to pop on from time to time in the icy cold as well, eventhough all the bulbs are illuminating as they should.
Old 02-21-2007, 03:13 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hi guys i 4rm sa n my dad has a c36 amg,we had to rewire the harness because it was on safe mode.i wanted to know if the c36 amgs imported to sa,come with esp and an asr switch,cause if the car breaks into a wheel spin there is no light that flashes like it should?? when the person did the wireing of the harness we think he swoped,the economy and sport switches around,now wen we take off fast around a slight bend it just goes sideways.in the rain there is no traction wat soever its like ice skating
Old 02-21-2007, 07:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
98 Black C43 , 08' ML320 CDI ,11 E63
Originally Posted by yuvs.n
hi guys i 4rm sa n my dad has a c36 amg,we had to rewire the harness because it was on safe mode.i wanted to know if the c36 amgs imported to sa,come with esp and an asr switch,cause if the car breaks into a wheel spin there is no light that flashes like it should?? when the person did the wireing of the harness we think he swoped,the economy and sport switches around,now wen we take off fast around a slight bend it just goes sideways.in the rain there is no traction wat soever its like ice skating
If ever there was a reason for spellcheck.......this it it.
Old 02-21-2007, 09:30 AM

09 335i 03 CLK55 AMG
Originally Posted by C43AMG
If ever there was a reason for spellcheck.......this it it.
HAHAHA!

i 4rm sa n