K&N speaks up about MAF's

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-24-2007, 05:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
98 Black C43 , 08' ML320 CDI ,11 E63
K&N speaks up about MAF's

I don't know if any has posted this link yet,but here is the link to the K&N webpage where the topic of mass air sensor contamination and what causes the malfunctions etc.I would highly recommend viewing these prior to: buying ANY aftermarket air filter or blaming ANY aftermarket air filter manufacturer for the failure of your MAF.Here you go : http://www.knfilters.com/MAF/massair.htm
Old 11-25-2007, 04:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
06 CLS55, She drives: 08 CLS63, 08 CLK63 Black Series
Thanks for the FYI!!!
Old 11-25-2007, 05:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
300E a couple 1994 w124wagon E320 Wagon/,1971MGB Track/Rally, MG Midget Autocross ,2000 E320 wagon.
From

the article quoted "We have not yet encountered a dealership or service provider with test equipment necessary to determine if a MAF sensor is functioning properly; nor do they have the test equipment to determine the cause of a failure."
While self serving K/N is fighting back the claims made against its product,if they make a claim like this you need to take everything else they say with a grain of salt.Every Mercedes Benz dealer has a star machine which shows real time data capture showing voltage values produced in the maf's range,My home shop real time scanner displays voltage and will show a dead or out of range maf.So either they need to survey more Mercedes shops or come visit my home shop.
Maybe the data is skewed and the relationship between a maf failure and the use of a K/N filter is merely happenstance.In light of the quote above for $12 I will keep installing a clean oem filter and not run the risk that they were as inaccurate with the rest of their claims.
Old 11-25-2007, 06:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
98 Black C43 , 08' ML320 CDI ,11 E63
Originally Posted by ohlord
the article quoted "We have not yet encountered a dealership or service provider with test equipment necessary to determine if a MAF sensor is functioning properly; nor do they have the test equipment to determine the cause of a failure."
While self serving K/N is fighting back the claims made against its product,if they make a claim like this you need to take everything else they say with a grain of salt.Every Mercedes Benz dealer has a star machine which shows real time data capture showing voltage values produced in the maf's range,My home shop real time scanner displays voltage and will show a dead or out of range maf.So either they need to survey more Mercedes shops or come visit my home shop.
Maybe the data is skewed and the relationship between a maf failure and the use of a K/N filter is merely happenstance.In light of the quote above for $12 I will keep installing a clean oem filter and not run the risk that they were as inaccurate with the rest of their claims.
Dude , I don't know what to say about your comments.It is obvious from your comments that you never bothered to look at all the videos.If you think that a MB dealership has a machine that can diagnose silicone contamination on a MAF (video #4)then your stupid enough to believe your tranny doesn't need servicing until 100k either.
Old 11-25-2007, 10:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
02 CLK 55 AMG,09 C63 loaded with P30
Now K&N has a dry type filter go figure.
Old 11-26-2007, 10:25 PM

98 C43, 86 Porsche 951, 98 Volvo S70 T5M
K&N is spot on in their reply. I doubt any dealership will have the test equipment to test whether K&N oil contaminated the maf. What I'm wondering is how that oil is supposed to get from the air filter to the MAF. Magic? Its not like the oil just flies off the filter, went around a couple of bends and straight up. Depends on the filter you use. I'm aware of some being right in front of the MAF. Unless you soaked the crap out of it and stuck it in right away with oil dripping off of it. Even then I doubt it would ruin the MAF. Its not like the intake side is under high pressure.

I always thought these claims were B.S. Its basic physics. That and I've run K&N cones on two of my cars with 0 incidents and panel filters twice as well. This is basically internet FUD come home to roost.
Old 11-27-2007, 02:00 AM

1998 C43
You could always get a sample of oil from the MAF sensor, and send it out to a lab. They can do GCMS analysis and tell you the composition. Then send a sample of the oil you are supposed to put on the filter, and have that tested. Should be identical if the K&N oil is messing up the MAF.
Old 11-29-2007, 03:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
e55
Its a load of marketing crap. It does cause oil to get onto the MAF this has been proven time and time again. the GOOD news is... it doesn't really matter. Just get a can of CRC MASS AIR SENSOR CLEANER and spray your MAS once ever 3-6 months and the car will always run like new. Anything longer than 6 months and you can start to feel the degraded performance. I did this on my E55 countless times, Honestly it did become quite a hassle but I did like the sound the K&Ns made and the slight improvement in performance. As long as you clean you MAS regularly you can run K&N no problem

nuff said.
Old 11-29-2007, 07:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
300E a couple 1994 w124wagon E320 Wagon/,1971MGB Track/Rally, MG Midget Autocross ,2000 E320 wagon.
Dude

I will even be more specific.

"We have not yet encountered a dealership or service provider with test equipment necessary to determine if a MAF sensor is functioning properly;"

If you want to call out names and insult.Read the quote,and tell all of us who is the stupid one and believes that no Mercedes Benz dealer has the ability to determine if a MAF sensor is functioning properly.You looking in a mirror ,perhaps?

BTW,I service all the transmissions well before 100k,thanks.
And to quote you "It is obvious from your comments that you never bothered"
To read my post.I never said they could detect silicone induced failures,I pointed out that they and I with my little old home shop have the ability to test proper function of a MAF.So it would be wise to take what they(K/N) say with a grain of salt.
Good day

Last edited by ohlord; 11-29-2007 at 07:33 AM.