C36 AMG, C43 AMG (W202) 1995 - 2000

SEAFOAM IN OUR C36'S/C43'S

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 12:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'98 C43 AMG. Obsidian Blk w/2 tone slvr/blk interior
nice, i cant wait to offend my neighbors with a black cloud billowing out of my exhaust
Old 05-20-2008, 12:24 AM

1997 C36AMG
LOL!

when i did my car a big A$$ cloud went to the neighbors house lol u couldn't see the front of the house too well also for you guys who's guna do it PLEASE RECORD A VID OF THE SMOKE! I HAD A VID BUT IT'S REALLY DARK!
Old 05-22-2008, 03:23 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1996 C36 AMG
As long as you use a vacuum tube going to a metal portion of the intake manifold b/c the seafoam may react with the "plastic" portion.

Im glad people are finally following my advice on Seafoam, been saying it for years. Its definitely the best fuel/engine cleaner out there hands down, Everything is snake oil by comparison.
Old 05-22-2008, 04:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
88-300CE TWIN TURBO, 99-C43, 05-G55K, 71-280SL, 94-E320 CAB, 08 CLK63 BLACK SERIES
Originally Posted by Dr. C36
As long as you use a vacuum tube going to a metal portion of the intake manifold b/c the seafoam may react with the "plastic" portion.

Im glad people are finally following my advice on Seafoam, been saying it for years. Its definitely the best fuel/engine cleaner out there hands down, Everything is snake oil by comparison.

Not snake oil, but Naptha and Isopropanol in an light oil base...

Wouldn't put it in any Mercedes unless it's a high mileage beater, and never in any AMG engine.

If you need to use Seafoam or a similar product on a regular basis, then you're not maintaining your vehicle correctly.

Don't need to do anything special when changing any engine over to synthetic oil....
Old 05-22-2008, 05:27 PM

1997 C36AMG
well

that's myt point , my car is at 122,xxx right now, and that's why i added it, it's been used a lot, and i figured it could use some cleaning. did one hell of a job. car accelerates soo smooth, and man u push the pedal down more, nice...the other day i was turning, and i hit the gad pedal down about half way, the car jumped to 3500rpm and i almost spun all the way around lol, i was toying around tho
Old 05-23-2008, 01:38 AM

ah, i love w202's theyre so fun, cant wait to seafoam my puppy up on saturday. hey do you guys know if all that smog coming out of the exhaust harms the cats or O2 sensors?
Old 05-23-2008, 08:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

88-300CE TWIN TURBO, 99-C43, 05-G55K, 71-280SL, 94-E320 CAB, 08 CLK63 BLACK SERIES
Originally Posted by SeeKlasse
ah, i love w202's theyre so fun, cant wait to seafoam my puppy up on saturday. hey do you guys know if all that smog coming out of the exhaust harms the cats or O2 sensors?

It can harm the cat as a component is alcohol, which can create high temp.

The other caution is that if you draw too much of a non compressible liquid into the cylinder you could hydrolock....

It's a product for beaters...doubtful any well maintained high mileage Merc has a great deal of sludge.

Don't go by the color of your oil, because a detergent oil gets dirty the minute it circulates through the engine...

Regular oil changes, use of Chevron Techron is all that Mercedes recommends.

Tune ups also do wonders to bring power back
Old 05-23-2008, 08:54 AM

n/a
Originally Posted by RBYCC
[COLOR="Navy"]

The other caution is that if you draw too much of a non compressible liquid into the cylinder you could hydrolock....
Is there such a thing as a compressible liquid?
Besides, the AMG engines have too much power to allow hydrolock!
Old 05-23-2008, 11:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by e34m20
In this instance the answer is no, and that is what I clearly stated...
If you want to get really technical and delve into fluid dynamics the answer is yes...but it's not on point of the subject matter.

What don't you understand.....it is a very correct and proper term.

AMG having too much power....I'm sure you intend this to be a tongue in cheek comment...

Treat any car like a junker, and that is what you end up with....

Last edited by RBYCC; 05-23-2008 at 11:19 AM.
Old 05-23-2008, 12:14 PM

Look, i purchased my C43 after it had been sitting for nearly a year with the same tank of gas, it had been driven about 5k miles in 4 years. the car sat around quite a bit. when i received it the car ran like ****, the exhaust smelled like rotten eggs and the power was dismal at best. i blame this on old fermented fuel, which i burned through with an addition of two more full tanks, then i changed the fuel filter out.

given these circumstances i would like to seafoam it, if just a little, to ensure that any gunk that had settled over the last 5 years is sent on its merry way.

i dont know what most of you are talking about, but ALL cars past (or near) 100k miles need some sort of cleaning. ive seent the inside of several motors (bmw and mercedes) and let me tell you, i could scrape globs of black sludge off the inside of the valve cover with a credit card... but wait, maybe they were beaters, oh yeah beaters for sure
Old 05-23-2008, 12:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

none
Hyrdo lock could happen, it is possible, which I'm sure many here know. I feel it may be an issue as its difficult to really measure the amount and rate at which the fluid enters. The size of the line used and the vacuum created at idle would effect this. I could see the 3.6 liter chugging down that fluid pretty quick. I guess as a caution I would make sure to use the smaller of the vac. lines.

I tried this product on my girlfriend's eclipse and it seem to work pretty well, hard to gauge thought because I changed the plugs too....
Old 05-23-2008, 01:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
things with and without wheels
Originally Posted by e34m20
A little hint, pick up a science or physics book.
You can compress liquid in a vapor state,
Fill any engine's cylinder with liquid under a compression stroke and it will lockup

Last edited by RobertG; 05-23-2008 at 02:56 PM.
Old 05-23-2008, 02:10 PM

1997 C36AMG
well u all make good points,

and some makes stupid ones. seafoams is EXTREMELY flamable, ok? this stuff will burn up like hell...and also, this stuff won't harm ur cats either i did it, i didn't get one check engine light. i doubt it will hydrolock the engine, mine was chuggin it down pretty quick but i had to take the hose out, it was taking too much down at once lol.(WATCH HOW MUCH U PUT, IT MIGHT HYRDROLOCK NEVER KNOW). all this is doing is cleaning that gunk that build up over 100,000 miles and burning it up.. and also, mercedes engines are very strong engines, esp. the AMG ones... they are handbuilt tanks. thus saying that, they NEED there FIRST TUNEUP at 100,000 most cars need this tune up and 75K?. some don't even need that. junkers? HAHA! ok u go buy urself, a JUNKER, and drive that, leave ur benz in th driveway, i'll be waiting for a list of differences. if mercedes is JUNK, then i wonder wat a hyndai is. pile of *****? lol i'm not tryin to **** anyone off here, but like i always say everyman to his own. if you don'tlike that, keep it to urself...U be the "smart one" by not doing it. simple. my uncle has a 1989 560SEL 400,000 miles and going STILL.. JUNKER?

Last edited by Z06EATER; 05-23-2008 at 05:45 PM.
Old 05-23-2008, 02:15 PM

1997 C36AMG
ALSO

talk to any mb tech who knows MERCEDES they do the same stuff at the dealer, only they don't use seafoam, they use a MUCH HIGHER concentrated stuff. to clean and tune up engines. i watched them do this to a customers car. oh yea i'm gettin my cr straight piped! as we speak!

Last edited by Z06EATER; 05-23-2008 at 02:52 PM.
Old 05-23-2008, 05:46 PM

1997 C36AMG
car

sounds amazing!!
Old 05-23-2008, 06:10 PM

nice.

for those who claim that hydrolock may be an issue, what would be the result should my motor undergo hydrolock during this procedure?
Old 05-23-2008, 07:35 PM

1997 C36AMG
this is

only an issue if you add too much to the engine, at one time, let it suck a moderate amount at a time.
Old 05-23-2008, 08:50 PM
Banned

02 S500 Sport
Originally Posted by Z06EATER
sooo you guys think it's wouldn't be a good idea?
There a thread saying how its only gives the appearnace that its better etc. Syntehic Oils cleans your engine just the same.

lol
Old 05-24-2008, 08:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Gondon
There a thread saying how its only gives the appearnace that its better etc. Syntehic Oils cleans your engine just the same.

lol
You're so correct about that....

For those that think the insertion of Seafoam through a vacuum line will degunk your engine, they need to understand what they are doing.

Drawing the Seafoam through the vacuum system has naught to do with the lubrication system,
The billowing white clouds of smoke are the result of the naptha/ipa/light oil mixture being burned in the combustion chamber.
Use plain old water in and you'll get a similar result.
Does it decarbonize a head...somewhat...is it recommended by Mercedes or any manufacturer...definitely not !!!

Too much liquid can hydrolock and you can bend a connecting rod..

To get rid of sludge as one poster mentioned you have to pour it into your crankcase.....and not rev or drive your car while its in there....
Why, because it's thinning your oil and weakening its lubricating properties.
You'll dislodge sludge, but where might this sludge end up ???

To use in an AMG vehicle is desecration.....and just a continuation of a lack of maintenance.

Looking at a non synthetic oil and claiming it is black, only means that it is doing its job...it's a detergent oil and it holds dirt in suspension until it gets to the filter !!!!

Synthetic oil will eventually clean the engine up as Techron will the fuel delivery system...

Both of which are approved by Mercedes....

Treat a car like junk and it becomes junk....

Last edited by RBYCC; 05-24-2008 at 01:58 PM.
Old 05-24-2008, 10:03 AM

1997 C36AMG
lol

ok ok i get wat u r saying now man. and u makes good points, while adding seafoam does take knowledge, it's not just for a piece of mind it works. and synthetic oil does cleaan up. seafoam is just that extra someting, the helps as well
Old 05-25-2008, 01:43 AM

well seafoam does the same thing if added to the fuel system as techron, no? i dont think its a bad idea to clean the intake system, regardless of which brand you may choose. all of the local MB dealers here offer intake cleaning as a service...
Old 05-25-2008, 08:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by SeeKlasse
well seafoam does the same thing if added to the fuel system as techron, no? i dont think its a bad idea to clean the intake system, regardless of which brand you may choose. all of the local MB dealers here offer intake cleaning as a service...

Major difference in the chemical composition of Techron produced by a major oil company then what is in Seafoam.

The Seafoam product is mostly a light oil carrier with naptha and IPA as the solvents. Where do you think all the smoke comes from? Since when is combusting oil in either the cylinders or converter good? Rich mixtures kill cats so oil won't? If it removes any carbon it'll only be a tiny amount. If all you have is a tiny amount you're doing more harm then good because a small amount works to protect the piston crown. Good thing it comes right back, which makes the "treatment" even more of a waste. If you want to clean excessive carbon use water injection, an overnight piston soak, walnut blasting, or any of the other *proven* methods

You may not notice it immediately but high probability in time that your cat and O2 sensor will have a shortened life...

Techron or its chemical equivalent is a component of most tier one gasonlines world wide.

Polyether Amine (PEA) is a chemical technology originally developed and patented by Chevron to help clean harmful deposits from carburetors, injectors, valves, and ports.
Techron Concentrate Plus has enough PEA to help remove deposits from your fuel system in one tankful, but it also can clean and protect your fuel system sensors from sulfuric buildup – the root cause of faulty fuel gauge readings.

So, Seafoam is cheap, makes a lot of smoke, gives a psychological feeling of well being thinking the engine is pristine inside....
Do you think it is natural for an engine to belch out copious amounts of smoke for a period of time and that the O2 sensor and cat doesn't see this???

Good luck...I just value my cars too much and since day one of picking up my 300CE new in May of 1988 it has only had Mercedes service and used approved products. Switched to synthetic oil after the install of a period twin turbo kit.
Same goes for my G55, C43 and 280SL..........

If you want to keep them, you have to maintain them as the manufacturer recommends....

There is no strange science or miracles out there...

Last edited by RBYCC; 05-25-2008 at 09:01 AM.
Old 05-25-2008, 11:30 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1996 C36 AMG
Originally Posted by RBYCC
It can harm the cat as a component is alcohol, which can create high temp.

It's a product for beaters...doubtful any well maintained high mileage Merc has a great deal of sludge.

Don't go by the color of your oil, because a detergent oil gets dirty the minute it circulates through the engine...

Regular oil changes, use of Chevron Techron is all that Mercedes recommends.

Tune ups also do wonders to bring power back

Not true at all, it is 100% safe on the cats, infact I did this on my bmw racecar back in the day and did seafoam. A week later I redid my exhaust and looked at the cats, they literally looked brand spanking new, not even carbon soot on them, they looked perfect

Honestly, I usually only use it via the fuel tank (IMO thats the best method). That will clean everything except sludge at the top of the crank case, but ya sludge is rare on cars this good. I opened up my 112k engine, spotless. Then again it has full maintenance history so not surprised. Seafoam via gas tank will clean up your fuel filter, your fuel rails, fuel injectors and even the pistons themselves (mine looked brand spanking new when I opened up my motor after using it). the vaccum method is probably overkill unless you have a 200k+ motor.

Techron is strong, but seafoam is much stronger. its 100% safe, been proven for decades, the whole BMW community uses it religiously. Techron is good too, either one will give good results.
Old 05-26-2008, 01:08 AM

1997 C36AMG
THANK YOU

DR.C36
Old 05-26-2008, 01:30 AM

i seafomed mine this afternoon, put a third of the can in the gas tank, a third in the crankcase, and the rest through a vacuum line. the car really didnt shoot out that much soot, just a little and then it was clear. i took it out for a 5 mile drive then changed the oil out. the oil looked ok considering it only had 2k miles on it since the last change. the car is running very smooth now, it was already running good, but now the motor sounds alot softer under heavy load. i used one of the vacuum lines found on the very front of the motor, you dont even have to take the motor cover off to see it. suction on that line was pretty good so i put an extension on that line and only partially submerged the hose into the seafoam, i used a clear container so i could see what was going on and it was pulling a mixture of air and seafoam into the motor. it was probably a mild use of the seafoam via vacuum line but i was paranoid about what some people were saying about hydrolock and bent connecting rods...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: SEAFOAM IN OUR C36'S/C43'S