C36 AMG, C43 AMG (W202) 1995 - 2000

SEAFOAM IN OUR C36'S/C43'S

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 02:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1997 C36AMG
SEAFOAM IN OUR C36'S/C43'S

OK FELLAS, I'M GOING TO DO ON OIL CHANGE FRIDAY WITH 5W-30 MOBILE 1 SYNTHETIC BLEND, BEFORE I DO I WANTED TO THROW SOME OF THIS SEAFOAM STUFF IN THE INTAKE AND IN THE OIL CRANKCASE, JUSS TO LOOSEN UP SOME SLUDGE...SO I HAD A FEW ?'S DID SOME SEARCHING ON HERE N DIDN'T FIND ANYTHING SIGNIFICANT TO ME. WHERE WOULD I FIND A VACCUM LINE TO HAVE IT SUCKED IN? ALSO, WOULD I WANNA PUT IT THROUGH THE VACCUM LINE? LET ME KNOW, I WANNA CLEAN MY ENGINE REALLY GOOD BEFORE ADDING FRESH OIL. THANKS ALSO, STEPS TO THIS WOULD BE GREAT. THANKS GUYS!

GOD BLESS
Old 05-15-2008, 10:46 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Stg3 B5S4-C55 AMG
IMHO-

The way to use that stuff is to add 1/2 of the can to the crankcase the day before your oil change, drive it a bit and you're done.

It will remove a good amount of build-up. Not too sold on any other way of using the stuff, and why ?

These AMG engines are so over-built that you're worrying about too many things.

One of our 300SD's went 295K and just got better as the miles piled up.If it weren't totalled in an accident it would probably be still running today. And thats just a regular MBZ.

All these 3.6 I6 engines need are regular oil changes. You get clean oil in them and they'll go forever. These things run so damn hot, there's no chance for sludge to even build up as everything gets nuked in there. In a way its like a self-cleaning oven.

Just save your money for gas and enjoy the car. Too much extra maintenance can do more harm than good. Leaks that were never there all of a sudden show up.....stuff like that.

Affalterbach built the C36 for waaaaaay more abuse than most of us are capable of. Think about it.
Old 05-15-2008, 04:12 PM

'98 C43 AMG. Obsidian Blk w/2 tone slvr/blk interior
actually, the c36 was not built in affalterbach. c36's started their lives as a factory build c280, then they were slapped on a truck and sent to affalterbach amg where the mods were done. the c43's were the first amg's built from the ground up in affalterbach.
Old 05-15-2008, 04:20 PM
Banned

02 S500 Sport
Originally Posted by Z06EATER
OK FELLAS, I'M GOING TO DO ON OIL CHANGE FRIDAY WITH 5W-30 MOBILE 1 SYNTHETIC BLEND, BEFORE I DO I WANTED TO THROW SOME OF THIS SEAFOAM STUFF IN THE INTAKE AND IN THE OIL CRANKCASE, JUSS TO LOOSEN UP SOME SLUDGE...SO I HAD A FEW ?'S DID SOME SEARCHING ON HERE N DIDN'T FIND ANYTHING SIGNIFICANT TO ME. WHERE WOULD I FIND A VACCUM LINE TO HAVE IT SUCKED IN? ALSO, WOULD I WANNA PUT IT THROUGH THE VACCUM LINE? LET ME KNOW, I WANNA CLEAN MY ENGINE REALLY GOOD BEFORE ADDING FRESH OIL. THANKS ALSO, STEPS TO THIS WOULD BE GREAT. THANKS GUYS!

GOD BLESS
There is, There is a post here that says its complete **** hahah.
Old 05-16-2008, 01:46 AM

1997 C36AMG
ok then

sooo you guys think it's wouldn't be a good idea?
Old 05-17-2008, 01:15 AM

1997 C36AMG
I PUT THE SEAFOAM IN !!

well guys i took a chance and i put one whole can of sea foam into my car today, through the vaccum line, and MAN! THAT WAS A ****LOAD OF SMOKE!!! HAHAH WHEW sure i was fun revving it to 6500 RPM tho...man i thought i was gonna **** the neighbors off with that smoke....well alli can say is i took the challenge and, IT WAS TOTALLY WORTH IT!! OMG!! THE CAR DRIVES SOOOO MUCH BETTER!! SMOOTH, GOOD THROTTLE RESPONSE, AND IT SOUNDS MORE LOUD? TOO ME OR MAYBE IT'S ME BUT MAN....it cleaned a lot of stuff out...and tomarrow morning is the OIL CHANGE! i got another can to throw into the crankcase, and let it run for about 10min then in goes a fresh filter and MOBILE ONE 0W-40 synthetic, european car spec or sumting like that.. but it's GREAT! let u know how the car feels after...pluss it needs a good washing been two weeks and it's not pretty...esp. in 100 degree weaher:z oom:
Old 05-17-2008, 02:50 AM

nice. where did you pour the first can again? details plz
Old 05-17-2008, 02:15 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1996 C36 AMG
Originally Posted by SeeKlasse
actually, the c36 was not built in affalterbach. c36's started their lives as a factory build c280, then they were slapped on a truck and sent to affalterbach amg where the mods were done. the c43's were the first amg's built from the ground up in affalterbach.
you have that absolutely 100% completely backwards.

the 3.6L AMGs were built in house at AMG and I have pulled my engine apart and looked at all the part numbers, they are all true HWA bespoke AMG components made in house and the engine was assembled by hand.

It is the C43 amg that was an off the shelf E430 motor that had no mods done to it really other than probably some cams, software and a performance muffler.
Old 05-17-2008, 06:06 PM

both motors started as stock mercedes motors and were modded by amg, the c36 more heavily. but it doesnt mean that your car (the very same one) started as a c280 and shipped to affalterbach, motor and chassis together, and the engine was pulled out and modded then replaced.

the c43's were built in affalterbach, perhaps from many parts shipped by mercedes to be assembled, but the first time those motors saw those chassis were in the amg factory in affalterbach, hence being the 1st amg car built (also known as assembled) completely in the affalterbach factory.

before you go off on another motor-specifc tangent, i already stated that the c36 motors were completely rebuilt by AMG but it doesnt mean that the ENITRE CAR didnt come off the mercedes production line and sent to AMG, therefore NOT being built in affalterbach, the engine was rebuilt there. fyi im glad your amg motor has amg parts in it
Old 05-17-2008, 06:06 PM

does your 350 deisel crankshaft have amg stamps all over it?

wiki credibility is somewhat decent as they pay millions of dollars to teams who revise and correct postings, so i would say read up on the m104 motor. to save you time ill just copy what it says about the 3.6 motors (which i never said werent rebuilt by hand, but i did state that they started from a c280 motor, the 2.8 m104)

AMG 3.6 L M104.941
There were 3.6 L conversions done to both the M103 and M104 by Brabus, among others.

AMG developed a 3.6 L M104 that was used in the W202 C36 AMG (W202) and the W124 E36 AMG (W124) vehicles.

The AMG 3.6 M104 was rated at 276 horsepower (206 kW) at 5,750 rpm and 284 foot-pounds force (385 N·m) of torque at 4,000 rpm using the HFM engine management system.

The boost in power was obtained by stroking the M104 using the crank from the 350sd engine.

Last edited by SeeKlasse; 05-17-2008 at 06:11 PM.
Old 05-17-2008, 08:07 PM

1997 C36AMG
well as for

wat seeklasse was asking, you want to know where i put the first can of seafoam, are u asking about the intake system? i ran it through the intake system ,into the vaccum line, and then one whole can into the crankcase today, let it run for about 10 min, then i drained, threw some cheap oil in to juss do a flush, like a quart or two, then i added the mobile oil and change the oil filter (cap was a BI*** to get off) but i got it! aha after almost breaking my arm off my shoulder, the car drives soo nice...and i flushed the radiator, and added fresh coolant awesome!
Old 05-17-2008, 09:25 PM

hey be careful with coolant, make sure u use whatever is specified for your c36, otherwise you could get a sort of electrolisys which GREATLY accelerates the internal corrosion of the radiator. but im sure you used the right stuff just throwing it out there.

you poured the can in pre or post MAF sensor?
Old 05-18-2008, 11:26 PM

1997 C36AMG
oh yea def.

i know what your saying Seeklasse and thanks for pointing it out. also for those who do flush there radiators also. i actually threw in mb coolant. about 65% coolant the rest water, i heard u shouldn't exceed 70% percent coolant concentrate? and i put the can into the vaccum line it's pretty much under those valves on the right of the block in the front, its a skinny black hose... i pulled it out..attached another hose that was longer, and juss dropped it in the can...had my buddy start the car.. and i SLOWLY sucked it into the line..this runs through the valves and inside the block where air would run, and it stick inside, and juss cleans inside also they say the car could die if u put too much in at once, my car didn't really die out with the whole can in..i i love these cars man, i let the car sit for 20min after adding a full can. some of people who used it on youtube the cars wouldn't start the first crank, it's funny, but my baby started right up, of course it was weak but i gave her some gas, and this big cloud of smoke juss came out the exhaust...took about ten mins to get all the smoke out..and man, the car drives great guys can't explain, also, i'm gettin awesome gas milage, i drove about 50 miles this weekend, and my needle actually didn't move at all! i know it sounds like bs but NO joke, of course i was on the pedal like a feather...i always keep under 2000K and i really get good MPG o yea give me some time, fellas i'll get some pics up to show you guys where the vaccum line is then all you guys can really get an experience on ur own, tomrrow afternoon i'll put em up..maybe the vaccum line is in similar spot in the 43's as to teh 36's?
Old 05-19-2008, 01:47 AM

yeah that sounds great, im lookin for a lil cleanup myself so ill probably give it a try...
Old 05-19-2008, 02:08 AM

1997 C36AMG
ah yes

aren't we all lookin for a clean up my brother? i mean we all want our car engines to be in top shape, these engines are bulletproof but hey we clean it with stuff anyway for piece of mind, plus, it actually does help the engine along too....car idles smooth and true, you will not be disappointed. i sure wasn't. the more smoke u get out your exhaust is how much carbon buildup was in there... pics will be up tomarrow!
Old 05-19-2008, 12:01 PM
Banned

1996 C36 AMG
if you put seafoam in your oil you have to change your oil within 50 miles of driving so make sure you are doing it for that purpose. Honestly though I doubt you have sludge. when I opened up my engine (112k) the sucker looks brand spanking new inside. Unless your previous owner didn't change his oil for 10k+ i doubt you are gonna get sludge build up.

If you are paranoid about doing it in the oil then at least put a full seafoam can in the gas tank, that will do wonders in cleaning up your fuel system, heads, and cylinders.
Old 05-19-2008, 12:41 PM

1997 C36AMG
yea you are right,

Dr.C36 well after adding new oil the color of the engine inside the block was wel..Clean the metal was all silver like clean metal would look, and yes the oil changed regularly by the previous owner, but two words for when my oil came out and what it looked like CHOCOLATE SYRUP. no joke was disgusting.. lol pics tonight!

Last edited by Z06EATER; 05-19-2008 at 04:36 PM.
Old 05-19-2008, 12:49 PM

1997 C36AMG
oh yea

after doing all the hard work on the car guess wat? i need new brake pads and rotars soon, the light comes on when i hit the brake, and turns off when i take my foot off..any thoughts? of what kinda rotors? should i go with mercedes? or should i juss buy another german brand? i know rotars are gonna be pricey
Old 05-19-2008, 01:05 PM

Gone but not forgotten C36
glad to see others taking the extra step...but I, being pretty noob at 'good' car care want to do what I can to keep the car in good condition...here is a slight off-topic question ....how about using fuel injector cleaners like the Chevron Techron (any possible harm?), I'm about to dump a bottle of those in the AMG so bad
Old 05-19-2008, 04:38 PM

1997 C36AMG
that would be

actually one of the best to use...those work great. also i recc. seafoam also, make sure u have a half tank of gas at the VERY Least... before adding a full container of injector cleaner, if the fuel is too rich it will damage your injectors
Old 05-19-2008, 05:49 PM

i hear that brembo rotors are lighter and cheap if you get em off ebay. i would use ceramic pads to greatly reduce the amount of brake dust which comes off your pads. also the ceramic pads ARE compatible with the brembo rotors (i think theyre also compatible with the mb oe rotors are well). ceramic pads also experience less brake fade, and if im not mistaken they last a little longer too...
Old 05-19-2008, 06:04 PM

1997 C36AMG
that sounds like a good idea

Seeklasse wat do you thikn of these?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Merce...spagenameZWD1V
Old 05-20-2008, 12:01 AM

posi is good. there was another brand that i found to be really good, it escapes me at the current point in time but ill see if i can poke around and find the same ones i was eyeing before i went broke buying a C43, then replacing the tranny, then wrecking it, then buying another c43 and replacing the AC evaporator... dreading the day when my brake light starts popping up on the dash, i need some recovery time over here i spent over 9k in 3 months, most people are lucky to make that kind of money, let alone have it be expendable...
Old 05-20-2008, 12:04 AM

1997 C36AMG
OK FELLAS

AS PROMISED, HERE ARE THE PICS, THEY AREN'T TOO GREAT CUZ MY CAMERA ON MY PHONE SUCKS, BUT I TRIED BEST I COULD. YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO SEE EM WELL.. YOU'LL KNOW IT'S THE HOSE WHEN IT HAS A STRONG SUCTION

ok step one...look in this section of the engine, right under intake setup..

step 2 after you look there, look for this hose, it's a small skinny black hose, one end runs into the intake, and other end runs to a sensor...

Step 3. u wanna gently pull down that hose end that's under the sensor twisting and turning may be necessary, be gentle as the hose may be getting old.

step 4. just go ahead and attach a longer piece of hose and put the other end into the can, and let her rip!.

i used a whole can so yea. u can use half or a whole can..add it into the intake. LET THE CAR SIT FOR 20 MINS no longer or sooner. and then start her up, she may start really weak give her gas lots of it...!! rev her to 4000K or just before the limiter kicks in and rev up and down for about 5 mins, then take her for a drive, DRIVE HARD, u need to get the smoke out, all of it. drive around about 10mins 4000 to 6500RPM and then let her sit, after you turn the car off, it may still have smoke coming out the exhaust this is normal...it may smell foul too soo don't inhale. then your done! did wonders for me. make sure u add the seafoam slowley!! u add too much at once the car will die, you don't want it to die just yet, or worse u goodruin the block by hydro locking it. ok fellas good luck and God bless if u need anything just let me know!

PLEASE NOTE AFTER DOING THIS YOU MUST CHANGE YOUR OIL AND YOUR OIL FILTER!!! YOUR OIL WILL GET EXTREMELY DIRTY AFTER THIS!! MY OIL FILTER HAD BLACK SLUDGE ON IT. AND MY OIL WAS LIKE CHOCOLATE SYRUP. MAKE SURE U DO THIS! THROW A CAN OF SEAFOAM IN THE CRANKCASE AND RUN FOR 10 MINS. DO NOT DRIVE OR REV WHEN SEAFOAM IS IN THE CRANKCASE.

Last edited by Z06EATER; 05-20-2008 at 12:16 AM.
Old 05-20-2008, 12:05 AM

ah yes, now i remember. i was eyeing a set of akebono ceramic EURO pads and brembo drilled rotors.... of course and a set of SS lines with serious brake fluid...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: SEAFOAM IN OUR C36'S/C43'S