C36 AMG, C43 AMG (W202) 1995 - 2000

C36 vs. C43

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-19-2008, 03:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In search of W222
haha rofl. yeah i work too. I dont get **** from my "mommy and daddy" and i have to pay gas and insurance just like you. and for my car of course. (all of it) not like all the other spoiled b*tches @ my school.

and also yeah the deprciation is horrible poor E55 owners. yay me =] lol

Last edited by bagelsjustbagel; 07-19-2008 at 04:02 PM.
Old 07-20-2008, 12:04 AM

MB
Originally Posted by bagelsjustbagel
...and also yeah the deprciation is horrible poor E55 owners. yay me =] lol
True, and it's worst for the ones that bought it new but for those who recently purchased or in the market for one, then its a great bargain!

You want a C43... I want C36!
Old 07-20-2008, 11:09 PM

98 C43, 86 Porsche 951, 98 Volvo S70 T5M
I'd love an 03 E55. That would be my dream car. Unfortunately I'd be scared crapless of anything breaking. It would be big $$$$ if anything happened. And with 500 lb/ft of torque and 480+ hp in a big car something is going to break. Thats why they don't hold their money as much.
Old 10-18-2008, 04:10 PM

1995 C36 AMG
Unhappy AMG C36 Problems

Hey Guys . . . Right now, sadly I'm a C36 Guy.

I'd sell it to some unsuspecting soul, but I just know that Kharma woud come back to me in the worst way.

So these days, I vasillate between love and hate for my C36, and MBZ in general. I won't bore you all with details that would require a full blown dissertation, but let me say, I have never even heard of a vehicle that required as much service and repair as my C36. Period. For all you unsuspecting souls let me say that unless someone honestly lets you know what the true cost of ownership for a C36 is, and it will probably never drive correctly, you will truly be astounded. I'd say you will probably spend $7,000 per year in maintenance costs for a stock vehicle. So you better buy cheap, because the repairs will shock your conscious.

My car has some gremlin that no dealer and no mechanic has ever been able to figure out how to repair, so it has had the computer replaced ($4K - not to mention the down time), Throtle Actuator ($1.7K), Sensors, Catalytic, Fuel pump, So much electrical I can even tell you - including the entire wire harness (big bucks), Valve lifters/springs, etc.

So for all of its repairs - and you should hope and pray that you NEVER ever need to replace the brakes & roters (I'll let you find out that expense on your own just for fun), my C36 still doesn't drive correctly ..... sadly ..... never will.

Is it fast, YES, sometimes. Only when it feels like. I wish I could let you know why, but no dealer and no mechanic has been able to figure it out, so part by part my C36 has had nearly everything replaced without solving the problem.

Now it pulls so badly to the right, with a clean bill of health from a commputer alignment printout - even after having to retrofit some bolts that MBZ never thought to put in the vehicle to begin with.

So I drive a slow (most of the time) C36, that almost every part is new, that pulls hard to the right, for about $7,000 per year in maintenance costs.

I have no opinion about the C43 except to say that it started with much more standard MBZ parts, and is likely much more easily diagnosed and repaired thatn a C36.
Old 10-18-2008, 09:29 PM

1999 W210 E300 Turbodiesel
Originally Posted by AMGC36Guy

I'd sell it to some unsuspecting soul, but I just know that Kharma woud come back to me in the worst way.

So these days, I vasillate between love and hate for my C36, and MBZ in general. I won't bore you all with details that would require a full blown dissertation, but let me say, I have never even heard of a vehicle that required as much service and repair as my C36. Period. For all you unsuspecting souls let me say that unless someone honestly lets you know what the true cost of ownership for a C36 is, and it will probably never drive correctly, you will truly be astounded. I'd say you will probably spend $7,000 per year in maintenance costs for a stock vehicle. So you better buy cheap, because the repairs will shock your conscious.

My car has some gremlin that no dealer and no mechanic has ever been able to figure out how to repair, so it has had the computer replaced ($4K - not to mention the down time), Throtle Actuator ($1.7K), Sensors, Catalytic, Fuel pump, So much electrical I can even tell you - including the entire wire harness (big bucks), Valve lifters/springs, etc.

So for all of its repairs - and you should hope and pray that you NEVER ever need to replace the brakes & roters (I'll let you find out that expense on your own just for fun), my C36 still doesn't drive correctly ..... sadly ..... never will.

Is it fast, YES, sometimes. Only when it feels like. I wish I could let you know why, but no dealer and no mechanic has been able to figure it out, so part by part my C36 has had nearly everything replaced without solving the problem.

Now it pulls so badly to the right, with a clean bill of health from a commputer alignment printout - even after having to retrofit some bolts that MBZ never thought to put in the vehicle to begin with.

So I drive a slow (most of the time) C36, that almost every part is new, that pulls hard to the right, for about $7,000 per year in maintenance costs.

I have no opinion about the C43 except to say that it started with much more standard MBZ parts, and is likely much more easily diagnosed and repaired thatn a C36.

man it's really sad i hope it's not gonna happend to my c36....

can't say anything else . . .
Old 10-18-2008, 09:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
02 CLK 55 AMG,09 C63 loaded with P30

How many miles on your c36? Mine has 103k very reliable. Bought it at 85k. I only did the wireharness. Sorry to hear that you have a lemon.
Old 10-19-2008, 03:35 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
AMG
usually on C36 the only two things that pose an issue are wiring harness & headgakset. From my own personal experience, other then that they are bulletproof. I had headgasket blow on mine and it wasn't nearly as big of a deal as I was expecting. Ya it costs roughly $1k to repair for parts & labor (actually sometimes you can do it for even less) but either way, its not a disaster, just annoying. The wiring harness IMO is far more problematic and difficult to diagnose, electrical gremlins will drive you insane.

Other then that you shouldn't run into any problems really, that does sound like a lemon car to me.
Old 10-19-2008, 04:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
02 CLK 55 AMG,09 C63 loaded with P30
Originally Posted by AMS Performance
usually on C36 the only two things that pose an issue are wiring harness & headgakset. From my own personal experience, other then that they are bulletproof. I had headgasket blow on mine and it wasn't nearly as big of a deal as I was expecting. Ya it costs roughly $1k to repair for parts & labor (actually sometimes you can do it for even less) but either way, its not a disaster, just annoying. The wiring harness IMO is far more problematic and difficult to diagnose, electrical gremlins will drive you insane.

Other then that you shouldn't run into any problems really, that does sound like a lemon car to me.
Thank God that the headgaskets were done before i bought the car. I've read about the wire harness and immediately got them replaced. When the wires fail you have all kinds of electrical issues even frying the ECU!
Old 10-20-2008, 10:20 PM

1997 C36AMG

wat is this Throtle Actuator u speak of? do the RPMs dip when doing e certain speed? is it a wire? please let me kno
Old 10-24-2008, 12:30 PM

1997 C36AMG
bump in this thread any answers? wud really love to know, my car is doing somthin weird
Old 10-27-2008, 01:45 PM

1997 C36AMG
BUMP!
Old 06-08-2010, 11:10 AM

'97 c36 amg
Originally Posted by bagelsjustbagel
haha rofl. yeah i work too. I dont get **** from my "mommy and daddy" and i have to pay gas and insurance just like you. and for my car of course. (all of it) not like all the other spoiled b*tches @ my school.

and also yeah the deprciation is horrible poor E55 owners. yay me =] lol
Ok, I know this a "HOLY THREAD REVIVAL", but i just had to throw in my two cents to this comment about "mommy and daddy"

I am currently 17, bought my car last year.....when i was able to afford buying my 36, insuring my 36, paying for DMV, and I pay for my gas and all mods. Even all our expensive trips to the mechanic!!!! (Which badly hurt my teenage pocket) It's obvious I hope, that "mommy and daddy" give me nothing but a roof over my head and food to eat. And for this I value my car SO much more than if they bought it for me, i dont ever plan to sell (I just dont see the point) and hope/plan to drive it into the ground!

Now when I park in my HighSchool parking lot, im not jelous of the kids who have....a new GTR, RS4, e92 M3, new Porsches, New BMW's, New Merc's and even some e55's, my car isn't even noticed, and I think its the coolest one, we have a piece of amg history! All of these cars (to my knowledge were given to them, with bright red bows on top) and I can honestly say none of them can or ever will love there first car as much as I appreciate my w202!!!!

These parents who are handing their children these BRAND NEW FANCY FAST A** cars are only commiing a form of child abbuse, why?, because their next car will no doubt be less desirable than what they are driving now. With my 36, I get to drool over 43's, 5.4L conversions....hell maybe even a 36 converted 5 speed (a dream )

What I'm trying to say is don't bash us teenagers for having fine taste in cars and who can find a way to afford these "money pits" so to say. I love my car like anybody else who has enjoyed the thrill (as a youngster) who has bought his/her own car.

Hope your enjoying your 36 Bagel, I know I am!!!!!!!!
Old 06-08-2010, 11:24 AM

'97 c36 amg
To add to the argument as to why I think the c36 is better, and the ultimate reason why I chose the 36 over the 43 is that, if you are a true car fanatic, you want a true manual gearbox, right? I know I do....

The beauty in the 36 is that the m104 will bought right up to any of the 190 getrag gear boxes. I know for fact, the 43 has not been proven to be driveable with a stick shift, unless that lucky person out there has spent bank on trying to figure it all out. The 43 is just to complicated for this mod, which I think is a huge PLUS for the 36. If you have the money, or interest, in converting your gearboxes. I know I want to do this in the near future....

No doubt I love the power in the 43 all the way through the power band, I have driven my uncles and love it. But for any of you who have thad the experience and delight in driving the 36, there is just something about how these cars pick up at 3500 revs, and then something like 6000 revs all the way to red line, and the sound of the I6, is just as desirable to some of us as the sound of the v8. Both awesome cars.....would ove to have the delight in owning both one dayy
Old 06-09-2010, 09:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C43/55,2k11 Volvo S60 T6AWD,2k Audi B5 S4,95 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD 500+awhp
Originally Posted by edemac8
To add to the argument as to why I think the c36 is better, and the ultimate reason why I chose the 36 over the 43 is that, if you are a true car fanatic, you want a true manual gearbox, right? I know I do....
Better because it(C36) could be converted to a manual? Mmmm
Old 06-09-2010, 03:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^^ well, i'd agree with you if you actually DID convert the c36 to a 6spd manny... But until then, lol
Old 06-09-2010, 04:43 PM

'97 c36 amg
One day boys.....Honestly. Im finishing High School and applying for colleges as we speak. Once I have finished with my education I have every intention of converting my c36 to a proper transmission, and/or purchase another 202.....c43 is deffinetly in my future once I get settled with proper income....until then I can dream right? And yes it is possible with the m104 engines, a 5 speed will bolt right up. There are plenty of 202 I6's in Europe, I have never heard of the conversion being possible with any 202 v8.....anyone prove me wrong? very interested if its been done, and how?!
Old 06-09-2010, 05:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C43/55,2k11 Volvo S60 T6AWD,2k Audi B5 S4,95 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD 500+awhp
One day boys.....Honestly. Im finishing High School and applying for colleges as we speak. Once I have finished with my education I have every intention of converting my c36 to a proper transmission, and/or purchase another 202.....c43 is deffinetly in my future once I get settled with proper income....until then I can dream right? And yes it is possible with the m104 engines, a 5 speed will bolt right up. There are plenty of 202 I6's in Europe, I have never heard of the conversion being possible with any 202 v8.....anyone prove me wrong? very interested if its been done, and how?!
The only V8 that I can think of off the top of my head that had the option of having a 5 speed was the W124 Hammer!

Want a performance German 6 cylinder with an all around performance feel ,you'll have to get either a E36 M3 or an E46 M3. I think a manny tranny will really expose the handling weaknesses of the stock suspension on a W202. Sure does show the suspension weaknesses IMOP on a stock suspension E39 M5.

Last edited by ProjectC55; 06-09-2010 at 05:34 PM.
Old 06-09-2010, 05:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts
1999 C43, 2008 P30 E63, 2014 SQ5, 2024 Model Y Performance
Fly navy talked about a SELECT few C43's with manual 6 speeds I believe. I contacted AMG and they informed me that no AMG was ever made with a 6 speed manual from the AMG factory, however they lead me to believe that there were a few that were modified again by an outside company after AMG had their way with them to have manual trannys (ONLY IN EUROPE ). They wouldn't confirm or deny if they were 5 speeds or 6 speeds. One of these MUST be the SELECT few Fly navy spoke of. I will say this though, only PROFESSIONAL drivers can match the shifting capabilities of an auto, the only reason I would want the manual is to have better throttle control through the corners and to kick it into 6th on the highway so I can sip gas instead of GUZZLING it.
Old 06-09-2010, 05:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts
1999 C43, 2008 P30 E63, 2014 SQ5, 2024 Model Y Performance
Originally Posted by ProjectC55
The only V8 that I can think of off the top of my head that had the option of having a 5 speed was the W124 Hammer!

Want a performance German 6 cylinder with an all around performance feel ,you'll have to get either a E36 M3 or an E46 M3. I think a manny tranny will really expose the handling weaknesses of the stock suspension on a W202. Sure does show the suspension weaknesses IMOP on a stock suspension E39 M5.
I agree... I was going to buy an E36 M3 before I purchased my C43. I looked at TONS of them and I came to the conclusion that the mercedes is WAY classier. If you are looking for pure performance from an I6 get the E46, its unreal. If you want the total package (style, class, performance, elegance etc....) stick with the BENZ. The interior of the E36 is lackluster FOR SURE but it performs well.
Old 06-09-2010, 07:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 78 Likes on 62 Posts
2002 CLK430
Let's stop at the premise - "True car fanatics prefer manuals"? That may have been true at one point, but these aren't powerglides (for those too young to know, Google "powerglide"). Nowadays, it's strictly a matter of personal preference - and it's not because everyone is old and has a tired left leg. Some of today's automatics have technical advantages over manuals. Here's an easy one, compare the rotational mass of a flexplate against a flywheel. With a lot less weight, one engine is going to rev faster than the other. Here's another example: the SLK55 weighs more, has less HP, and less torque than a C6 roadster with a Z51 package and a six speed manual (the Z51 package includes wider tires, bigger brakes, and a lower gear ratio). The SLK55 is faster in the quarter. Why? Could it be the 7G-Tronic?

With me, maybe it IS because I'm old*, but with today's modern automatics, I don't see what a manually operated clutch buys. This is coming from a guy who, before the CLK, had daily drivers with manual transmission for 20+ years.

*too old for the ZX6 crowd, but the ZX10 is talking directly to me.
Old 06-09-2010, 08:34 PM

'97 c36 amg
Originally Posted by MarcusF
Let's stop at the premise - "True car fanatics prefer manuals"? That may have been true at one point, but these aren't powerglides (for those too young to know, Google "powerglide"). Nowadays, it's strictly a matter of personal preference - and it's not because everyone is old and has a tired left leg. Some of today's automatics have technical advantages over manuals. Here's an easy one, compare the rotational mass of a flexplate against a flywheel. With a lot less weight, one engine is going to rev faster than the other. Here's another example: the SLK55 weighs more, has less HP, and less torque than a C6 roadster with a Z51 package and a six speed manual (the Z51 package includes wider tires, bigger brakes, and a lower gear ratio). The SLK55 is faster in the quarter. Why? Could it be the 7G-Tronic?

With me, maybe it IS because I'm old*, but with today's modern automatics, I don't see what a manually operated clutch buys. This is coming from a guy who, before the CLK, had daily drivers with manual transmission for 20+ years.

*too old for the ZX6 crowd, but the ZX10 is talking directly to me.
Never was referring to old if thats what you were implying. And Im not the type to pick arguments on this thread or to categorize at all, im young, having a proper clutch still excites me...for now

I am not a huge fan of the e36 to be honest, the looks dont really excite me like the 202 does for some reason. and I have driven the e46, I agree WOW! But remember here, I'm seventeen and I must pay my own insurance. Put 2 and 2 together, and insuring a seventeen year old male in an e46 M3, I just cant afford that. Yes in the future, I would love to own one!

Back to my interest in a stick c36. I love the idea that it is very rare (I havnt heard of more than only a couple in the states, which were person modifications) as stated, it is not AMG original, but the standard c-class 5 speed was original in Europe (and the 36 is just a beafed up 280 I6, it can be done. and are you sure about that with the 43, I would love to read that thread if you know where it is...) And I agree the stock suspension is crap, even with an auto IMO, I have Koni's that are sitting in my garage waiting be installed. So yes IF/When (I hope) to be able to seriously talk about doing this I will do it properly with suspension, light wheels etc. I just feel like with a 5 speed in the 36 you will really be able to keep it on camber, and yes I am young and just like the idea of a stick shift, for me it will add fun factor. I am COMPLETELY aware that it wont be as quick a shift than with the automatic but why does that matter, these arnt the fastest cars on the road and I am not trying to prove anything to anyone trying to race on the highway...I just drool over wanting a stick shift when driving in places such as skyline (NorCal) and other switch back roads (Which again I understand, isnt very fun for our cars, but hell IMO a 5 speed would add some excitement)

Now if I were to get an e46 M3, with out a doubt, I would buy one with the smg, because like you said marcus, that is a proper (FAST) transmission for that car. And like you also mentioned, it has the luxury of automatic when you do have a tired left foot or while driving in traffic. the flappy padels are very nice. But for a 202, a classic stick shift just seems so appealing (if the car is set up right )
Old 06-21-2010, 04:40 AM

c43
What I'm trying to say is don't bash us teenagers for having fine taste in cars and who can find a way to afford these "money pits" so to say. I love my car like anybody else who has enjoyed the thrill (as a youngster) who has bought his/her own car.
Word up. There's nothing wrong at all with having great taste. I think our cars still look, feel, and drive better than most cars out there to this day! And I've had the pleasure of owning both a 97' C36 5-Speed and now a 98' C43. They're both great cars. I loved my C36 (totaled / R.I.P.) and I love my C43 too.
Old 06-21-2010, 10:27 PM

Received 70 Likes on 54 Posts
W210 DRFT BNZ
Originally Posted by AMS Performance

Can't say that I agree. I like the car mechanically, but electrically, well...

Let's just say I am one oft he higher mileage C36's on this board. By the time you guys catch up to me and start changing your mind I will have prepared a nice series of DIY fixes...

Unless of course the bullxxxx stops soon.

Or I end up selling this car. The More I drive my plain E36 Bimmer, the more I realize just how overhyped these cars are.
Old 06-22-2010, 03:11 PM

C36 AMG
Originally Posted by jumph4x
Can't say that I agree. I like the car mechanically, but electrically, well...

Let's just say I am one oft he higher mileage C36's on this board. By the time you guys catch up to me and start changing your mind I will have prepared a nice series of DIY fixes...

Unless of course the bullxxxx stops soon.

Or I end up selling this car. The More I drive my plain E36 Bimmer, the more I realize just how overhyped these cars are.
How much mileage do you have?? Becuase I got almost 300K on mine! and absolutly have ZERO mech/electrical problems (besides a headgasket job done already) and runs like brand new.
You can drive your bmw.. LOL
and I'll keep driving my C36 AMG.
Old 06-22-2010, 03:56 PM

c43
Originally Posted by BenzMaster19
How much mileage do you have?? Becuase I got almost 300K on mine! and absolutly have ZERO mech/electrical problems (besides a headgasket job done already) and runs like brand new.
You can drive your bmw.. LOL and I'll keep driving my C36 AMG.
almost 300K?!! that's awesome!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: C36 vs. C43