C36 AMG, C43 AMG (W202) 1995 - 2000

M104 lightweight crankshaft pulley (AMS)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-09-2008, 12:33 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1996 C36 AMG
Originally Posted by Saijin_Naib
Dr.C36, do you know if this pulley would work on the m104 engine (same 2.8L used to make the C36 engine ) in my 300ce?
it will work on all 94-97 M104s including 280s & 320s, they are all the same engine just different crank/pistons/rods pretty much (im simplistic terms). But technically you have the old M103 not the updated M104, they are very similar but the thing is your engine uses the TDC pickup off the front of the crank pulley so you can't use it, This is meant for the 94-97 M104s
Old 08-09-2008, 12:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
1990 300ce 24v I6
Thank you for the prompt reply Dr.C36. I suppose the hunt continues for a way to make my humble coupe a bit more fun I know I can do a direct replacement of my M104 for the C36 M104, but I simply don't have the funds for such an undertaking.
Old 08-09-2008, 01:52 AM

89 300e euro stuff, 96 Volvo 850R bending rods
hey RBYCC sorry for not specifying. But the line that goes the highest is the hp curve which is read by on the left side and the torque on the right. But I will do another run in about a week when the ECU has fully recognized the pulley. The run was done on a Dyno Dynamics machine which was recommended by AMS as one of the more exact machines. 3 runs were done obviously by the technician not to familiar with dyno's myself.

Also Dr. how far have you guys came with the headers I'm killing for those, don't get me wrong the pulley made a world of a difference for my car but I would like to help out the top end just a little more and I also heard about a CB crossover intake and more importantly a big bore throttle body any news would be fine.

thanks

And yeah I was going to make sure he did that the next time.
Old 08-09-2008, 02:18 AM

Bicycle
[QUOTE=TVT_DESIGN;2986589]We've installed a couple of these on the M112 3.2L motors and have had nothing but negative results.

I don't want to start s!!t as i have been thru this before with the same topic but what problem could you have possibly had with this pulley as i have had it for over a year and not a single problem! Btw there are several guys on the C32/C55 thread with it and not a single complaint, if there is one please be so kind to showing me.
Old 08-09-2008, 03:44 AM
Banned

1996 C36 AMG
This just keeps getting better haha.

Thx C55asleep for those kind words, glad to hear it work out well for you.

It appears bashing others b/c you carry competing products is now in style, even if it is pure slander/libel. Definitely funny stuff.
Old 08-09-2008, 03:45 AM
Banned

1996 C36 AMG
Originally Posted by C36ickness
hey RBYCC sorry for not specifying. But the line that goes the highest is the hp curve which is read by on the left side and the torque on the right. But I will do another run in about a week when the ECU has fully recognized the pulley. The run was done on a Dyno Dynamics machine which was recommended by AMS as one of the more exact machines. 3 runs were done obviously by the technician not to familiar with dyno's myself.

Also Dr. how far have you guys came with the headers I'm killing for those, don't get me wrong the pulley made a world of a difference for my car but I would like to help out the top end just a little more and I also heard about a CB crossover intake and more importantly a big bore throttle body any news would be fine.

thanks

And yeah I was going to make sure he did that the next time.

We will not make any public announcements on our new products b/c are competitors have been keen to try and copy and beat us to the punch, I will make announcements once the products are released, until then its a patient waiting game . Could be sooner rather than later
Old 08-09-2008, 03:54 AM

Bicycle
Originally Posted by Dr. C36
This just keeps getting better haha.

Thx C55asleep for those kind words, glad to hear it work out well for you.

It appears bashing others b/c you carry competing products is now in style, even if it is pure slander/libel. Definitely funny stuff.

No problem, its just BS that people say things without even having evidence of a problem really ocurring. So TVT fill me in the problems you have had, o wait a minute AMS is giving me something to post this
Old 08-09-2008, 06:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1997 C36AMG
no way man

i understand that 43 is a V8 but dude....ur car is heavier and more hp, that extra hp is just to pace the car's weight. i've test driven a C43 it feels smooth cuz of that 8 but man, it's almost like an C36, very small dif to me, for me it's y burn the extra gas? and more spark plugs?
Old 08-09-2008, 07:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
300E a couple 1994 w124wagon E320 Wagon/,1971MGB Track/Rally, MG Midget Autocross ,2000 E320 wagon.
1997 C36 Curb Weight: 3550 lbs.
Interior
Front Head Room: 37.2 in. Front Hip Room: 52.8 in.
Performance Data Acceleration (0-60 mph): 6.4 s

1998 C43 Curb Weight: 3448 lbs.
Interior
Front Head Room: 37.2 in. Front Hip Room: 50.9 in.
Performance Data Acceleration (0-60 mph): 5.8 s

2mpg more hway for the C36 and the 16 plugs in the m113 only get changed every 100k miles.
Who did the math that said 3448 is heavier than 3550 last time I checked it was still old school math and the C43 was 102lbs. lighter and still quicker.

And whoever said that there was little that could be done
"improvement wise" Has not been around a lot of M104's
Old 08-09-2008, 09:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

sounds like airplane
Originally Posted by PJmak
c43 is faster but itll never have what the c36 has, no other amg will ever have that and if you ask me, that makes up for its performance when compared to other amgs

if you dont know what im talking about then gtfo this forum
dumbest thing i can remember reading- only thing it has is the distinction of being the slowest AMG ever made
Old 08-09-2008, 09:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

sounds like airplane
So you want to ban someone b/c they are giving an honest impartial review of a new product they installed? If thats the case why in the world does this forum even exist haha.

The guy is just giving his impressions, if you don't like it then you don't have to reply to the thread, but creating lies or bad mouthing with no evidence or experience is hardly the mature way of having an intellectual discussion about modifications.

The guy is giving his impressions plain and simple, don't bash him or threaten him with a ban, thats just childish.

if his impartial review hadn't sounded exactly like you wrote it i wouldn't have said that. I'm not going to waste my time going back to your own posts in the past etc. to prove it, but come on...
Old 08-09-2008, 09:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

sounds like airplane
Originally Posted by RBYCC
Dyno numbers are only a comparative used for tuning...
They can even lie, especially with a inertia type dyno.
Too many variables which don't translate to when the rubber hits the road.

What are the "real world" before and after 1/4 ET's for the lightweight pulley ?

Based on the dyno numbers posted the modded C36 should run 0-60 in the low fives and mid 13's and 100+ in the 1/4....can anyone confirm ????
um... no, they can't
Old 08-09-2008, 09:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

sounds like airplane
more importantly than all that crap-

i've spent roughly $4,000 in performance modifications to my m113.

I'll race anyone with 5k in modifications into a C36 (so long as the car is street legal and there are no sponsorships or freebies AND their modifications include this pulley at it's full retail value) for $1k on a track anywhere within 1000 miles of Rochester MN.

I will also be heavier than a C36 as i will leave my 115 lb stereo and my 18" wheels on.
Old 08-09-2008, 11:18 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Chrysler Crossfire
Originally Posted by splinter
Please elaborate.
The customers did not feel the gains justified the money spent. That pretty much goes with anything though. Some people just have very high expectations.

Just so we are all clear I'm not putting down the product. I was merely providing a negative to the OP's overly positive. If you receive positive comments from everybody after a while you feel that someone isn't being honest with you.

I still recommend the product, but I let my customers know that the gains are minimal at best. A 215 HP 3.2L V6 is not going to have near the same gains as the 3.6L AMG engine.

You really have to learn to take some negative criticism and work with it. Ask what could be done better or why there is doubt. Why wouldn't you try to make your product better instead of just saying the way it is is the only way.

Your attitude does not come across as a professional business man. You seem to get way too defensive and often resort to childish acts. Part of a successful business is embracing the negative and moving forward. You also shouldn't have to fight with the community to prove your product is worth while. It just gives the product a bad image.

I know this will be followed by a rant by the Dr. about something completely irrelevant, but its just my 2 cents.

Last edited by TVT_DESIGN; 08-09-2008 at 11:28 AM.
Old 08-09-2008, 12:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 381 Likes on 284 Posts
05 c55 silver, 98 Imperial Red C43
Originally Posted by silence
dumbest thing i can remember reading- only thing it has is the distinction of being the slowest AMG ever made
just **** of ok, Im tired of people like you on these forums, go read a fuken honda civic forum, you know civics are easy to tune, you can get lots of hp with very little money, why bother tuning a 202?

lets just all roll in civics and be completely original

I can buy a c36 for less then 8k atm coz there are quite a few available for sale and then put that twin turbo setup in it for 3.5k, the guy was selling it on here

itll do 0-60 in less then 5 seconds, your c43 wont stand a chance, and I might actually do this if this other deal im looking at doesn't work out

Last edited by PJmak; 08-09-2008 at 12:34 PM.
Old 08-09-2008, 12:58 PM
Banned

1996 C36 AMG
Originally Posted by TVT_DESIGN
The customers did not feel the gains justified the money spent. That pretty much goes with anything though. Some people just have very high expectations.

Just so we are all clear I'm not putting down the product. I was merely providing a negative to the OP's overly positive. If you receive positive comments from everybody after a while you feel that someone isn't being honest with you.

I still recommend the product, but I let my customers know that the gains are minimal at best. A 215 HP 3.2L V6 is not going to have near the same gains as the 3.6L AMG engine.

You really have to learn to take some negative criticism and work with it. Ask what could be done better or why there is doubt. Why wouldn't you try to make your product better instead of just saying the way it is is the only way.

Your attitude does not come across as a professional business man. You seem to get way too defensive and often resort to childish acts. Part of a successful business is embracing the negative and moving forward. You also shouldn't have to fight with the community to prove your product is worth while. It just gives the product a bad image.

I know this will be followed by a rant by the Dr. about something completely irrelevant, but its just my 2 cents.

Anthony this has nothing to do with negative critisicm. There isn't any negative criticism b/c I spend 2 years designing the pulley to ensure it performed flawlessly. Theres not a single oz more I could take off my pulleys, you cannot MAKE a better crank pulley period, they are as light as they can possibly be made without sacrificing strength or other factors, which of course is very important.

What I am saying is that your claims are impossible b/c I know exactly who has bought my pulleys and who has not. Only one M112 owner has bought one of my crank pulleys (C280 V6), the rest have been V8s & M104s so your claim that "we have had many M112 guys not be happy with them" is untrue plain and simple.

With that said, the M112s don't make alot of power no matter WHAT mod you put on them. The NA M112 V6 honestly just isn't that great of a motor and its not really meant to be tuned. The M104 has drastically more potential than the V6s. In fact very few M112 NA guys even mod for power, most just do cosmetic mods and etc, thats why we don't sell any to V6 M112 guys b/c there simply isn't a market even though we have products for them, they simply chose not to mod for power (for the most part).

You want to talk about unprofessional? Then why are you violating copyright & trademark violations having my logos & etc on your website, or by claiming to be an AMS distributor when you are not. For God sakes thats ILLEGAL, I never gave you permission to put AMS material on your website and you are NOT one of my distributors, LET is my only distributor... then why do you claim to be, that is not only unprofessional its illegal, and I am some how the "unprofessional" one?! Bad mouthing another tuner and making up lies for personal profit b/c you carry a competing product is not only unprofessional its unethical and immoral, you are lucky I am a nice guy and I'm not pursuing you legally. Consider this a polite warning, stop your antics and remove all AMS material from your website.
Old 08-09-2008, 01:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

sounds like airplane
just **** of ok, Im tired of people like you on these forums, go read a fuken honda civic forum, you know civics are easy to tune, you can get lots of hp with very little money, why bother tuning a 202?

lets just all roll in civics and be completely original

I can buy a c36 for less then 8k atm coz there are quite a few available for sale and then put that twin turbo setup in it for 3.5k, the guy was selling it on here

itll do 0-60 in less then 5 seconds, your c43 wont stand a chance, and I might actually do this if this other deal im looking at doesn't work out

absolutely please do! keep your receipts for the little things that go along with that install and get your crank pulley I'll be looking forward to it
Old 08-09-2008, 02:13 PM
Super Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
GMC - Miata - Trek - P-Car
Please elaborate.
Originally Posted by TVT_DESIGN

Whoa!

I was expecting a technically-oriented response with substantive dynamometer and track tests so that a potential purchase could be made using reason and logic. Perhaps that’s not part of your marketing strategy. Hearsay and innuendo seem foremost in your repertoire.

Instead, you launch into an irrelevant and nonsensical diatribe attacking me. Why? I enjoy the time invested here, and on other automotive forums, by endeavoring to enlighten and inform, and most importantly, learn. I’ve met personally with several members on a number of social occasions, and have come to respect and appreciate those here from afar who add pleasure to my beloved automotive hobby. The mostly-favorable reputation I’ve earned here is very important to me, and is not something to be vindictively libeled by you.

Besides respectfully asking to share your “nothing but negative” experiences with this thread’s pulley, my most recent post in regards to you and your concern was your solicitation for an airbox fitment volunteer, here:
TVT_DESIGN is a reputable outfit.
Good luck with yet another project you’ve undertaken.
I was mistaken and regret the error.
Old 08-09-2008, 02:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
88-300CE TWIN TURBO, 99-C43, 05-G55K, 71-280SL, 94-E320 CAB, 08 CLK63 BLACK SERIES
You are the worst dyno chart reader in history, you KEEP misreading the charts over and over again. The high curve is HP (left X-axis) and the Torque is the right X-axis (lower curve). The dyno operator just forgot to put the same scale on both axis which is why it looks the way it does. If you put same scale they cross at 5250 of course (duh).
I tend to misread your charts because they are not in a format that 99%+ dynos use...
What third world country was this pull made?

Duh....so dumazz is the torque being indicated in lbft or newton meters like the last chart you posted.

In your case dynos can lie, and liars can dyno...

no gear spikes obviously, if there were you'd see these massive spikes troughs which there are none. Its obviously a single gear run b/c theres no gear shifts. Its easy to make the C36 start at 2500 if you know how to properly dyno a C36 (disconnect traction control) and ease into it at 2500 instead of sharp pedal drop.
Its obviously a Dyno Dynamics dyno b/c of the familiar yellow checkered background (DD is the only one that looks like this).
Firstly, who engages a dyno below 2500 RPM.
Second, why is the curve so raggedy
Third, this is a seven year old chart...your prodigy or you didn't question 218HP vs 268 published HP and the anomaly of 211 torque vs a published torque of 280 ????
Drive train loss should be proportional unless the operator didn't know what he was doing !!!

Hey C36 sickness can you get the dyno operator to get you a chart with the axis redone so its much easier to read (250 max on both axis). that will help limit the confusion.
Wasn't that chart done in 2001 ????

Post some 1/4 mile numbers for all the mods you made on your very fast C36....without those numbers you're just another bench racer !
Old 08-09-2008, 02:25 PM

Bicycle
Originally Posted by RBYCC
I tend to misread your charts because they are not in a format that 99%+ dynos use...
What third world country was this pull made?

Duh....so dumazz is the torque being indicated in lbft or newton meters like the last chart you posted.

In your case dynos can lie, and liars can dyno...

Firstly, who engages a dyno below 2500 RPM.
Second, why is the curve so raggedy
Third, this is a seven year old chart...your prodigy or you didn't question 218HP vs 268 published HP and the anomaly of 211 torque vs a published torque of 280 ????
Drive train loss should be proportional unless the operator didn't know what he was doing !!!

Wasn't that chart done in 2001 ????

Post some 1/4 mile numbers for all the mods you made on your very fast C36....without those numbers you're just another bench racer !

Old 08-09-2008, 02:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

88-300CE TWIN TURBO, 99-C43, 05-G55K, 71-280SL, 94-E320 CAB, 08 CLK63 BLACK SERIES
Originally Posted by ohlord
1997 C36 Curb Weight: 3550 lbs.
Interior
Front Head Room: 37.2 in. Front Hip Room: 52.8 in.
Performance Data Acceleration (0-60 mph): 6.4 s

1998 C43 Curb Weight: 3448 lbs.
Interior
Front Head Room: 37.2 in. Front Hip Room: 50.9 in.
Performance Data Acceleration (0-60 mph): 5.8 s

2mpg more hway for the C36 and the 16 plugs in the m113 only get changed every 100k miles.
Who did the math that said 3448 is heavier than 3550 last time I checked it was still old school math and the C43 was 102lbs. lighter and still quicker.

And whoever said that there was little that could be done
"improvement wise" Has not been around a lot of M104's

From February 1995 Motor Trend Road Test

"Acceleration from a dead stop isn't inspiring-at least until about 3000 rpm at just under 20 mph. There you get an impressive kick in the back, and the tach snaps toward the 6400-rpm redline like the needle on analog tire gauge measuring an overfull truck tire. With 6.4-second 0-60-mph acceleration and a quarter-mile performance of 14.7 seconds at 97.0 mph, the C36 is in a different league than its C280 progenitor, which ran to 60 in 7.6 seconds and covered the quarter in 16.1 at 88.8 mph. The C36 virtually equalled the E500's 0-60-mph run of 6.3 seconds."
Old 08-09-2008, 02:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

itll do 0-60 in less then 5 seconds
, your c43 wont stand a chance, and I might actually do this if this other deal im looking at doesn't work out
Old 08-09-2008, 02:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

c43 is faster but itll never have what the c36 has, no other amg will ever have that and if you ask me, that makes up for its performance when compared to other amgs

if you dont know what im talking about then gtfo this forum
Are you serious or just ignorant of the history of AMG ???

The C36 is not a landmark AMG vehicle....
It reflects in it's value.

You want real AMG, then look at those built pre 1988....
Old 08-09-2008, 02:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
300E a couple 1994 w124wagon E320 Wagon/,1971MGB Track/Rally, MG Midget Autocross ,2000 E320 wagon.

seconds and hes going to spend just 3500 to drop it into the 4's.
I'm looking into having to spend 5grand on a transmission alone that will withstand the 800h.p. needed to get into the mid 10's
how much over your 5grand limit is he going to have to go to make the c36 trans not blow up dropping into sub 5second 0-60's?
Old 08-09-2008, 02:56 PM

98 C43, 86 Porsche 951, 98 Volvo S70 T5M
Just my .02c on this subject. I'd be interested in someone with a C43 to review this and give us some opinions.

Also, I'd like to believe in this product, but when the designer comes in and gets into childish arguments with anybody that says things negative about the product it makes me question it. Don't get me wrong I'm not attacking him, but I would expect a business owner not to engage in arguments and name calling like he does. It is best to stay above those kinds of things.

I'll have to agree on the rah, rah post by the O.P. is a little much. It is more a marketing pitch than a review. Thats why people respond rather skeptical. Especially when its his first post on these boards. If say Speedybenz came on here and reviewed it everybody would listen. However a gushing review from a first poster is going to be regarded with lots of skeptecism.

I do hope that more M113 guys adopt this and it turns out well. I'd like more mods for this great car. I hope that AMS can crank out some good products. Lets just stay civil about the whole thing.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: M104 lightweight crankshaft pulley (AMS)