C36 AMG, C43 AMG (W202) 1995 - 2000

HELP with DIY steering repair

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-06-2008, 12:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'98 C43 AMG. Obsidian Blk w/2 tone slvr/blk interior
HELP with DIY steering repair

hey guys, im getting new tires in a couple weeks and i figured that (since im getting an alignment at that time) i should go ahead and replace the LCA bushings and the steering damper, which has been leaking oil. i figured while i was down there i might as well replace the steering assembly... shown here

http://www.autohausaz.com/search/pro...Rod%20Assembly

has anyone done these repairs or know about them? will i be able to do the repairs myself with standard tools? should i jack the car up and place it on jackstands, or can it be done while the car sits on ramps?

im also going to lower the car before i get it aligned as well. im hoping replacing these items will help crispen up the steering a bit. my steering wheel does seem to have a tiny bit (.5 inch) of play, so im wondering if the steering box is getting old, or are some of the bushings and connections in my steering assembly having issues?
Old 09-06-2008, 12:37 PM

1997 C36AMG
ah for that kind of stuff, i would get it done at the dealer man, those suspension stuff is tough. plus alignment, you need a special machine and tools i think
Old 09-06-2008, 02:40 PM

'98 C43 AMG. Obsidian Blk w/2 tone slvr/blk interior
well im doing these repairs before getting new tires, which includes a high-quality alignment...
Old 09-07-2008, 03:51 AM

1997 C36AMG
ah ic man..haha, watever you do, don't let the car camber too much you'll be chewing thru tires half bald
Old 09-07-2008, 08:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 80 Likes on 64 Posts
2002 CLK430
If you're set on changing the drag link, it's pretty simple. You'll need a puller to remove the drag link off the pitman arm. Ditto for the idler arm. A puller and a press can be rented pretty cheaply. In fact, it may not cost much more to buy them from Sears. Personally, I'd let my alignment guy can do it. It'll take him less than an hour and he'll probably bundle the alignment fee.

Personally, I'd change the steering damper and then see how it feels. Are you getting feathered tire wear? That's the usual sign that the tie rods are bad. With the front end in the air, do the wheels have play at 9 and 3 o'clock? Play at 12 and 6 o'clock (and the clunk) is usually ball joints. Either th

Recirculating ball steering won't have as much feel as a rack and pinion unit, but half an inch really isn't much free play. Of course, after 20 minutes on a GSXR all cars feel like they're steered with a rudder.