C36 AMG, C43 AMG (W202) 1995 - 2000

looking into drag radials... swap and fi guys come in? spare spare?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-18-2008, 03:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sounds like airplane
looking into drag radials... swap and fi guys come in? spare spare?

After driving my car yesterday I think I've decided I may want to run-

http://www.bfgoodrichtires.com/bfgap.../05282003A.jsp

they more or less "match" my bfg's I'm already running. For the use I actually put my car through I see no real drawback to running those.

My options are to try to fit the 245/40/18 with my current suspension or 265/40/18 with stock rear suspension (that should be enough lift right?- I was able to run 275/30/19s with stock rear height without too much rubbing).

The bigger question to me right now is whether or not to mount them up on the wheels I have now (kdw IIs up front and these on the rear, probably 245/40s in that case) OR if it would make more sense to keep my current set-up for most use and have a second set of rear wheels to swap on with the tires on them. In all honesty I feel like I would be likely to leave the drag wheels/tires on almost all the time if i did try to go that route- so that could be real counterproductive.

I was going to add nitrous or have some work done to the blower this winter- but nitrogenbalance's traction issues and my own experience (plus the cost of the limited slip options) has basically lead me to believe that it makes a lot more sense to drop my money into some real sticky tires...

lastly, does anyone know the specs of our spare wheels? I no longer have my stock 17s, but running a 17" wheel in the rear is likely to work much better than an 18" if i do decide to have a second set and the stock spares might be a real cheap solution. I'm assuming we can't fit a 16" in the rear?
Old 11-19-2008, 09:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
none
I agree. If it isn't already, I would say get your car running 100% with what you have now and go for an extra set of wheels/drags. I think any drivetrain/suspension/rubber modificatioins would have gotten me across the line probably more so than another 50hp would. I wouldn't consider going to the track again without them.

Stock rears are 17x8.5 et30. I ran a 255/40/17 and it rubbed, the tires also had some lateral squirm going on under hard acceleration. 245's did not.

I was hoping to find some specs on some old 16" and 15" mb wheels that I could find at a yard for cheap. Just need to find some info on width, backspacing, and if 15's would even fit.

Carl "prodjectC55" told me to send him a PM as he has some info on which drag radials fit.