NE Dragway results, 110.67mph 1/4..the rest is bad

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-24-2008, 11:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
none
NE Dragway results, 110.67mph 1/4..the rest is bad

3 runs, pretty similar within 1 sec 1mph throughout. Here is the highest trap speed. 60's were embarrising.

RT-.638
60'-3.277
330-7.167
1/8-9.389
MPH-84.91
1000-12.608
1.4-14.483
MPH-110.67

So it was the first time I had the car out at the track so I wasn't sure what to expect. The track was so busy that it wasn't fun. 3 runs in just over 2.5 hours. The track also seemed like it had pledge sprayed all over it. My car has never spun so much. I have 400 mile old vredestein 265's out back so I'm not sure if maybe its them? It could also be that I'm very bad at driving this car..LOL. I need to figure something out to get this thing rolling. I did a burnout before staging and rolled onto the throttle with ESP on. It seemed like I was spinning half the track, the other cars which were trapping 101 and 102mph seemed to run away from the line. I'll be back there this wednesday with alot less people so I hope I can figure out how to lay it down. I'm hoping that the 110 trap speed is an indicator that the car makes good power. Otherwise the car ran smooth, stayed cool, and got home in one piece.
Old 10-24-2008, 11:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
STS,FGT,12C,P85D,M4
next time out, just roll out smoothly from the line, no power braking, easy launch so you'll see what the car can do..... you're 60' is so far off the entire run is hard to interpret.... the 1/4 mile trap shows you're making good power.....

Originally Posted by NitrogenBalance
3 runs, pretty similar within 1 sec 1mph throughout. Here is the highest trap speed. 60's were embarrising.

RT-.638
60'-3.277
330-7.167
1/8-9.389
MPH-84.91
1000-12.608
1.4-14.483
MPH-110.67

So it was the first time I had the car out at the track so I wasn't sure what to expect. The track was so busy that it wasn't fun. 3 runs in just over 2.5 hours. The track also seemed like it had pledge sprayed all over it. My car has never spun so much. I have 400 mile old vredestein 265's out back so I'm not sure if maybe its them? It could also be that I'm very bad at driving this car..LOL. I need to figure something out to get this thing rolling. I did a burnout before staging and rolled onto the throttle with ESP on. It seemed like I was spinning half the track, the other cars which were trapping 101 and 102mph seemed to run away from the line. I'll be back there this wednesday with alot less people so I hope I can figure out how to lay it down. I'm hoping that the 110 trap speed is an indicator that the car makes good power. Otherwise the car ran smooth, stayed cool, and got home in one piece.
Old 10-24-2008, 11:21 PM
Super Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
GMC - Miata - Trek - P-Car
Originally Posted by NitrogenBalance
...I'm hoping that the 110 trap speed is an indicator that the car makes good power. Otherwise the car ran smooth, stayed cool, and got home in one piece.
Indeed it is. Looks like your combination is working well. Meth setup doing its job?

A little more traction should get you very low in the 13 second bracket. Stout.
Old 10-25-2008, 12:21 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C55,SL55,C63
NEDW can tend to be slick. I use to race their when i lived in Haverhill MA. They only do Wed, and Fri, street drags still right? chances are they are not spraying the track with DHT. If they were spraying the track you would not be spinning your wheels. Their is nothing worse than a track that is not preped well. Also Its cold up in NE this time of year, and sure cold air is better but when it starts cooling down the track your freshly smokes tires will cool faster. Your going to need some slicks for runs at NE dragway this time of year. other wise you will just spin the wheels all night long. Also the staging lanes there suck its always packed. I cant tell if those are Monolites in the back if they are those might be harder to hook up as they are so light. trapping at 110mph seems kinda high, and high traps speeds can be an indicator of wheel spin.

Last edited by hooleyboy; 10-25-2008 at 12:25 AM.
Old 10-25-2008, 12:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

sounds like airplane
that fits decently with my impression of my car as well- although i haven't made it to the track yet with the mods.

I can walk away from my friend's low 13 second cars (have a couple friend's with M3s and subarus in this range. it also feels a bit faster than my 13.4 second wrx that was totalled) from a fast enough roll, but get beat quite easily off the line initially.

I'm sure track conditions made it even worse

you probably shouldn't have been heating the tires?

with heavy enough rear wheels to have it help him hook his trap speeds would have dropped a lot... stick to the light wheels for sure.

did you have ESP all the way off? How did you attempt to leave the line? Describe the way you drove?
Old 10-25-2008, 12:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

sounds like airplane
edit- i see that you had esp on

please try at least one run with the fuse pulled. I have found that i can modulate things with the throttle/brake and get much much better launches that way. The car just cycles back and forth all out of wack too much ostensibly from the added power of the charger confusing it. it's like when it tries to cut the power back on after a traction event it does it too much... over and over.

You will trap even higher i bet too
Old 10-25-2008, 12:57 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

C55,SL55,C63
Originally Posted by silence
that fits decently with my impression of my car as well- although i haven't made it to the track yet with the mods.

I can walk away from my friend's low 13 second cars (have a couple friend's with M3s and subarus in this range. it also feels a bit faster than my 13.4 second wrx that was totalled) from a fast enough roll, but get beat quite easily off the line initially.

I'm sure track conditions made it even worse

you probably shouldn't have been heating the tires?

with heavy enough rear wheels to have it help him hook his trap speeds would have dropped a lot... stick to the light wheels for sure.

did you have ESP all the way off? How did you attempt to leave the line? Describe the way you drove?

In the c32/c55 section a member switched to monolites after a few runs at the strip and as soon as the rims were switched to monolites they could not get traction. I went to a heavier rim and my traps were down about 2-3mph but my 60ft was way better in fact I nailed my best 60ft ever @ 1.866 with heavier rims, but my trap was 107mph and that was a 12.9 run. Stock wheels i trap at 108-109mph but my 60ft is like 2.40. I feel there is a trade off and with out good track prep you got to find a happy medium.
Old 10-25-2008, 01:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

sounds like airplane
i'm shocked that it's making a significant difference- were other variables held the same?
Old 10-25-2008, 02:19 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

C55,SL55,C63
i'm shocked that it's making a significant difference- were other variables held the same?
My 1/4 mile times were right around were they always have been. I must add that ive fell victim to a bad track with my new heavier wheels and nothing was going to stop we from spinning my wheels. even my friend's (fellow member "cuzinquick") srt-6 who runs slicks was spinning his wheels. I think heavier wheels will effect your whp. In some cases its just enough to minimize wheel spin without totally killing your 1/4 time. In turn that missing HP shows up in slower trap speeds. I could run a 13.3 in my C55 with stock wheels at 108mph with heavier wheels i still ran a 13.3 but at 105mph... With temps cooling here in AZ I ran a 12.9 at 107mph. I cant get back to that 108mph mark, but thats fine as my 1/4 time is getting quicker.
Old 10-25-2008, 08:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Mosselman 190E 16V+ C63S+ Abarth 595
ill try to make it up there wednesday with the cossie to see your car. did you go through the wet box hahaha my first time there and first run i did, i had no ****ing idea i wasnt suppose to do that since it was all cars with slicks in front of me
Old 10-25-2008, 08:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
88-300CE TWIN TURBO, 99-C43, 05-G55K, 71-280SL, 94-E320 CAB, 08 CLK63 BLACK SERIES
You're trap speed is indicative of a high twelve to low thirteen second run depending on your launch.

Drop the air pressure in your rear tires to about 24PSI.
Stage the car and torque load to about 1200-1500 rpm and punch it smoothly as the last yellow lights.
Old 10-25-2008, 09:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

none
Originally Posted by RBYCC
You're trap speed is indicative of a high twelve to low thirteen second run depending on your launch.

Drop the air pressure in your rear tires to about 24PSI.
Stage the car and torque load to about 1200-1500 rpm and punch it smoothly as the last yellow lights.
I had the tires at 36psi all around, and they are new so I'm not sure if that has something to do with it also. The first run I didn't go through the water box and had the worst 60' of 3.3..something. I also sat in line for an hour before the first run so the tires were very cold I would assume. I staged, ESP on, didn't torque load though, rolled into throttle quickly, then tried to feather back and forth to find traction well past the 60'.

The second run I did a burnout, staged, ESP and rolled into the throttle quickly again hoping I would hear a chirp and instead wound up with tires spinning past the 60' again. I backed out of the throttle each time an inch or so to see if I could regrip but it was a lost cause. I'm sure the spectators got a good laugh

This wednesday should be good for figuring this out as I'll be able to run several times. I'll mess with tire PSI, torque braking, rolling into the throttle smoother, etc...I have to admit that once the car hooked up it was pulling very violently and seemed faster than it ever was. damn traction
Old 10-25-2008, 12:59 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
AMG
If you have traction problems then there is no need to break torque, that will only hurt not help. You really shouldn't run tire pressure below 30psi just to be on the safe side but going from say 35-30 can make a difference and you should give it a shot.

What brand tires are you running?

Ya those are very high 1/4 mile numbers with a trap speed that high. The only power that counts is the power that gets to the ground. Hopefully you can resolve traction issue. Also you have alot of weight in your car so remember that will slow you down a bit (although I'm surprised that didn't help traction off the line).
Old 10-25-2008, 02:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

sounds like airplane
yeah, don't think for a second my stereo doesn't help traction... just had to throw that in there because of all the flak i get for adding weight to a performance car. It's 100 lbs right over the rear axle.

the 1/4 time is absolutely ridiculous for the trap speed.

I wish i'd gotten to the track really badly now, but i had those stupid fuel problems for a while during the time when i was planning to go.

-drew
Old 10-25-2008, 05:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

88-300CE TWIN TURBO, 99-C43, 05-G55K, 71-280SL, 94-E320 CAB, 08 CLK63 BLACK SERIES
Originally Posted by AMS Performance
If you have traction problems then there is no need to break torque, that will only hurt not help. You really shouldn't run tire pressure below 30psi just to be on the safe side but going from say 35-30 can make a difference and you should give it a shot.
What brand tires are you running?

Ya those are very high 1/4 mile numbers with a trap speed that high. The only power that counts is the power that gets to the ground. Hopefully you can resolve traction issue. Also you have alot of weight in your car so remember that will slow you down a bit (although I'm surprised that didn't help traction off the line).
Go sell your crank pulleys and don't comment on what you don't know...

Have you ever run a 1/4 mile !!!!

24PSI is what you want to run on a wide cross section tire in the quarter...
It will give a larger contact patch and induce less wheel spin...

You always want to torque load an automatic transmission car even if it's a bit above idle.
Loading gets everything moving, lessens the action of the converter and limits drive train shock

Last edited by RBYCC; 10-25-2008 at 05:46 PM.
Old 10-25-2008, 05:54 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Stg3 B5S4-C55 AMG
How much gas in the tank ? If you didn't have at least 3/4 in....try that and some ballast back there.

Just roll out at the tree and squeeze the throttle. Your car should be easily in the the lo 13's high 12's. Don't bother w/ the pre-burn at NED. The temp rating on the Vred's is not sub 300, so its not gonna help you much.

I'm w/ RBYCC.. run the rears at 24-26 psi...but thats just me.

I'll try to make it on Wed for SN's.
Old 10-26-2008, 12:38 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

C55,SL55,C63
Go sell your crank pulleys and don't comment on what you don't know...

Have you ever run a 1/4 mile !!!!

24PSI is what you want to run on a wide cross section tire in the quarter...
It will give a larger contact patch and induce less wheel spin...

You always want to torque load an automatic transmission car even if it's a bit above idle.
Loading gets everything moving, lessens the action of the converter and limits drive train shock
I'm not sure how the trans is set up on the C36 but if i load to much at the line traction control will just cut power even with it off. I like to just chance the sound of the motor at the light. works for me. I tend to agree slightly with AMS. IF you cant grip why try to raise the RPM's even more. With my car and I have done a billion 1/4 mile runs more RPM's will yield me bad 1/4 mile times. IMO great 1/4 mile runs are made in your 60ft.if you can get it down to 1.9 1.8 your in good shape for a quick run.

Last edited by hooleyboy; 10-26-2008 at 12:43 AM.
Old 10-26-2008, 07:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Talking

Originally Posted by hooleyboy
I'm not sure how the trans is set up on the C36 but if i load to much at the line traction control will just cut power even with it off. I like to just chance the sound of the motor at the light. works for me. I tend to agree slightly with AMS. IF you cant grip why try to raise the RPM's even more. With my car and I have done a billion 1/4 mile runs more RPM's will yield me bad 1/4 mile times. IMO great 1/4 mile runs are made in your 60ft.if you can get it down to 1.9 1.8 your in good shape for a quick run.

If you read carefully what I stated nothing about raising RPM's too high.

First you lower tire pressure to lessen wheelspin.

You load the drive train from a little above idle to 1200-1500RPM.

You experiment to find the correct load RPM for launch.

This will give consistency and lessen strain on the drive train and potential variable in the output of the converter.
With loading you still don't punch it to the floor, you ease the pedal down until you achieve traction.
Sort of like "feathering a clutch".
If you learn this technique it will improve your RT and 60 times.
You will have to compensate for temperature, humidity, track condition, etc.

With a billion runs you sure beat me....
I'm a novice and have only been racing since 1964 and have held national NHRA records in SS classes with a second tier factory Dodge max performance Hemi lightweight car.
I don't think I've even reached 10K trips down the 1/4 !!!
Old 10-26-2008, 07:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

sounds like airplane
RBYCC- these guys aren't "right" but the issue is they are trying to do this with electronic crap in their way. Who knows what it would actually take to make a fast launch or pass with the factory crap running (especially on a car that makes way more power than stock)... Step one here is to ditch it then learn what it takes to launch the car as your describing (this goes for hooleyboy too- who btw i can't take seriously after seeing his cocky attitude in his signature... something about "meanest sounding C55 ever" as if no one in the whole world has ever put exhaust on one. I read your exhaust thread, and it's cool, but come on).

Last edited by silence; 10-26-2008 at 08:11 AM.
Old 10-26-2008, 04:44 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

C55,SL55,C63
RBYCC- these guys aren't "right" but the issue is they are trying to do this with electronic crap in their way. Who knows what it would actually take to make a fast launch or pass with the factory crap running (especially on a car that makes way more power than stock)... Step one here is to ditch it then learn what it takes to launch the car as your describing (this goes for hooleyboy too- who btw i can't take seriously after seeing his cocky attitude in his signature... something about "meanest sounding C55 ever" as if no one in the whole world has ever put exhaust on one. I read your exhaust thread, and it's cool, but come on).

On any other section on this forum members are treated with respect. The W202 section is building a forum wide rep for being rude to other members and thats unfair to the W202 members that are all in all nice people. At no part in any of my posts in this thread did I speak ill of anyone. If saying my C55 is just about the meanest sounding C55 bothers you you need to find something better to do. As far as I know there are three of us on this board that have custom dual exhaust on a C55. silence, you have really started to build a rep here as a total idiot that has no thoughts of your own. If I were you I would wait until some one makes a good post and then just agree with it. Doing this will make other members think you know what you are talking about with out really sharing any thoughts of your own. When you reply to a thread just use this....(+1) when you think you have found the reply thats right for you.

RBYCC- At no point was I questioning your take on all of this. Or even question your tire pressure techniques. Going fast in a strait line is not that hard. Lets call a spade a spade with out your light weight dodge what kind of records would you have held?? I'm not tossing around that I have the fastest N/A C55 1/4 mile time (and I do) All the other faster C55's run superchargers. For real when i say I ran a billion races its "figuratively speaking" I.E more than a few or more than i can count. Why people try to state their credentials to validate points is beyond me. Just because someone has been doing something longer does not make them better at it.
Old 10-26-2008, 05:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

sounds like airplane
On any other section on this forum members are treated with respect. The W202 section is building a forum wide rep for being rude to other members and thats unfair to the W202 members that are all in all nice people. At no part in any of my posts in this thread did I speak ill of anyone. If saying my C55 is just about the meanest sounding C55 bothers you you need to find something better to do. As far as I know there are three of us on this board that have custom dual exhaust on a C55. silence, you have really started to build a rep here as a total idiot that has no thoughts of your own. If I were you I would wait until some one makes a good post and then just agree with it. Doing this will make other members think you know what you are talking about with out really sharing any thoughts of your own. When you reply to a thread just use this....(+1) when you think you have found the reply thats right for you.

RBYCC- At no point was I questioning your take on all of this. Or even question your tire pressure techniques. Going fast in a strait line is not that hard. Lets call a spade a spade with out your light weight dodge what kind of records would you have held?? I'm not tossing around that I have the fastest N/A C55 1/4 mile time (and I do) All the other faster C55's run superchargers. For real when i say I ran a billion races its "figuratively speaking" I.E more than a few or more than i can count. Why people try to state their credentials to validate points is beyond me. Just because someone has been doing something longer does not make them better at it.

who's the one touting your credentials

it's a HUGE assumption that because your the fastest on a forum your the fastest.

the people who respect my opinion likely do so because i state my mind.

if you knew anything about drag racing you'd know that RBYCC's records are ALL about the driver. I'm not saying you don't know everything about driving your car or that your a bad driver, just that it's incredibly naive to say "driving fast in a straight line is easy".

at what time have i ever had "no thoughts of my own"? seems to me i have an intercooler set-up which i fabricated and no one else has and many other unique one-off modifications? I also most certainly "err" on the side of being outspoken rather than as one who restate's what others have already stated. Show me a post where i've done what your suggesting?

Also, what do you mean by reputation? reputation to you? i think each person likely has their own opinion.

Last edited by silence; 10-26-2008 at 05:39 PM.
Old 10-26-2008, 05:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

You must be a wunderkind if "going fast in a strait (sic) line is not that hard".

I always found going fast and winning quite difficult as it takes a great deal of concentration and ability to react quickly and reach the traps first in something other then non qualifying time trials and eliminations.

Not sure your comment about "...what records would I have held ? "
That's a bit absurd, much like me saying without you having the "fastest" NA C55, would you outrun anything in the 1/4 with your sneakers on.

Actually held SS/BA and SS/CA in a 1964 max performance hemi and SS/EA in a 1967 440CI R/T.

Why should one state credentials...why not?
Too easy to make stuff up on the internet, so why not validate who you are and what you have accomplished.

You claim to have the fastest NA C55 so isn't that you looking for validation ?

As far as experience it can be had in a short time period or one much longer, it's the results and the credentials that count.

I'm sure you're trying to communicate something but you're missing the point.

My comments are purely based on many years of productive experience in competitive motorsports both in the NHRA & IHRA 1/4 mile and SVRA and SCCA road racing.

P.S.

Always someone faster then you.....in fact if you check Drag Times you're there at 12.99 with no posted time slip, yet there is another stock C55 with Renntech mods similar to yours running 7/10's faster then you....

You claim 342RWP and 357LBFT on a DynoDynamics pull...
My underpowered M103-12V TT at 220RWP and 230LBFT on a Mustang load dyno pull is only less then a second and 6-7 MPH slower then you with a 2.37 60' ????

Give me the equivalent RWP and I'll have you by about six cars in the traps.
You only would have my M103 with 120 less RWP by eight to ten cars ???

With the RWP you claim you should be running the mid to low 12's and around 112MPH +....

Maybe going fast in a strait(sic) line isn't that easy and driver makes a difference

Last edited by RBYCC; 10-26-2008 at 06:16 PM.
Old 10-26-2008, 10:10 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

C55,SL55,C63
You must be a wunderkind if "going fast in a strait (sic) line is not that hard".

I always found going fast and winning quite difficult as it takes a great deal of concentration and ability to react quickly and reach the traps first in something other then non qualifying time trials and eliminations.

Not sure your comment about "...what records would I have held ? "
That's a bit absurd, much like me saying without you having the "fastest" NA C55, would you outrun anything in the 1/4 with your sneakers on.

Actually held SS/BA and SS/CA in a 1964 max performance hemi and SS/EA in a 1967 440CI R/T.

Why should one state credentials...why not?
Too easy to make stuff up on the internet, so why not validate who you are and what you have accomplished.

You claim to have the fastest NA C55 so isn't that you looking for validation ?

As far as experience it can be had in a short time period or one much longer, it's the results and the credentials that count.

I'm sure you're trying to communicate something but you're missing the point.

My comments are purely based on many years of productive experience in competitive motorsports both in the NHRA & IHRA 1/4 mile and SVRA and SCCA road racing.

P.S.

Always someone faster then you.....in fact if you check Drag Times you're there at 12.99 with no posted time slip, yet there is another stock C55 with Renntech mods similar to yours running 7/10's faster then you....

You claim 342RWP and 357LBFT on a DynoDynamics pull...
My underpowered M103-12V TT at 220RWP and 230LBFT on a Mustang load dyno pull is only less then a second and 6-7 MPH slower then you with a 2.37 60' ????

Give me the equivalent RWP and I'll have you by about six cars in the traps.
You only would have my M103 with 120 less RWP by eight to ten cars ???

With the RWP you claim you should be running the mid to low 12's and around 112MPH +....

Maybe going fast in a strait(sic) line isn't that easy and driver makes a difference
Its all in the D/A. At race time the D/A was like racing at 2900ft. Here in AZ were we drag race year round the D/A can get up to 4000ft+. If you think I should be faster your right but i cant do anything about the weather. And yes I have a time slip posted. Lets face it with an automatic Mercedes there isn't much to it when it comes to drag racing. Trap speed doesn't mean anything when it comes to a fast time. If you are spinning your wheels off the line your trap speed will be higher than normal. Saying someone should be faster based of trap speed is incorrect.(not saying you said that just saying it in general) If "nitrogenBalance" could get traction that trap speed would come down to around 107mph at the same time giving him a faster 1/4 mile run.
Old 10-27-2008, 12:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

sounds like airplane
I don't think you realize the magnitude of the wheelspin Wes must have had in order to run that E.T. though... I think (and honesty hope) that with a better start and first thousand feet his car is capable of equivalent or even higher trap speeds. I know how bad my wheelspin and the situation with the ESP is when i try to punch it without flipping ESP all the way off. It is my impression, and one that could be proven wrong, that the above is true and he will be able to maintain or even improve the trap speed with a better start. Again, this is something i fervently hope as it pertains to my situation as well, but i have some reasons to believe as well.

The bad news though (for me and Wes) is that it's going to be quite difficult in the best of circumstances to get these cars to launch with our "normal" street tires on them. It's a drawback, in a way, of using the Eaton rather than a centrifugal charger. It's also points out the huge "issue" with our cars and that is that we do not have factory limited slip and that it is very expensive to add it (roughly as much as i've spent on the supercharger and intercooler... just for a LSD)

So far as track experience- I've got the least! I've only been 5 times and the first 3 were with a 15 second truck. I'm not trying to claim i know a whole ton, just that as a sometimes racer and spectator of many decently serious events i can appreciate that it can be quite difficult to drive fast in a straight line.

-Drew
Old 10-27-2008, 01:14 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

C55,SL55,C63
I went to an NHRA club event a few weeks back after getting a tip from a fellow member about how good the the track prep would be. Needless to say it was the best track prep i've ever felt. My car just hooked right up with zero wheel spin. I was trying some launch techniques but after realizing i could just slightly load the car at the light and then just punch it with no adverse affects. that is what i did all night.I cant wait for the next NHRA club event at the local track here in AZ. The weather will be cool and the track will be in great shape. when i see slow ET's and high traps first thing i look at is wheel spin. although if the D/A is good than sure high traps are very possible. my corrected times for my 12.9 run at 107mph is 12.5 at 112mph but thats corrected numbers.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: NE Dragway results, 110.67mph 1/4..the rest is bad