AIS methanol stage I ordered

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-30-2008, 09:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sounds like airplane
AIS methanol stage I ordered

Ordered AIS's methanol kit. Basic boost activated system which will use my factory windshield fluid reservoir etc.

$189 group buy price!

so.... any advice about the install from those who have experimented with it on our cars...

I'm thinking I will just spray post intercooler, but have considered upgrading to dual nozzle and going through the blower too...? thoughts?

I will certainly be talking to Rodney at AIS about my options as well and using his vast experience with this kit (primarily on Mustangs)

edit- this is because I have decided to send my blower to steigemeier or one of the other options and add meth rather than run nitrous.

Has anyone we know with the HPS kit actually increased boost with a smaller pulley?

-Drew

Last edited by silence; 11-30-2008 at 09:43 PM.
Old 12-01-2008, 08:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

none
I would invest in an IAT sensor. I'm sure your aware but most of the gains reported with meth are due to increased timing along with it. I'm assuming that your not going to advance timing? The IAT sensor would be very helpful for adjusting the onset and amount. I would say tune it around your IAT/boost spike as your using it for cooling right? With the boost referenced kit your going to be pretty much on/off as there is nothing linear about your boost. Setting my kit up when the spray was set for too much the motor would hickup. You should have no problem setting it up, very easy. I would also look at www.coolingmist.com I was thinking about upgrading to there controller next year. It has a PC program for tuning off IAT, boost, EGT, RPM, etc..its pretty sweet. You can run several different inputs on the same program.
Old 12-01-2008, 01:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

sounds like airplane
I decided to go with a very simple system due to our "low" boost numbers and the ease with which we hit our peak boost. I rarely drive the car in boost that isn't the full boost. I hope there is no "hiccup" as it comes on- but I may be able to tune that out a bit as well with the maf (remove fuel at that spot?) or running less meth.

I will be doing it mainly for it's cooling capabilities and therefore as an added piece of insurance against pulling timing. From reading other peoples stuff on here I gathered that pulling timing yourself may not be necessary until somewhere north of 6-7 psi (which is of course a really unscientific number and I believe was the experience of people with the larger motor and possibly all with centri chargers). Regardless, I will certainly put it on the dyno when I get the blower back and the rest of this stuff done and get some real data.

I will be making the tune safe with the blower work regardless of the fuel effects of the methanol, but it can't hurt to have a little bit more "fuel" in the mix without having to increase fuel pressure any further or deal with the tuning work involved in stepping up in injector size.

The water temperatures in my air-water system never get above 130 in normal use, but closer to 100 would be much better--- as I said above i've got some tweaks and improvements to that system in the works as well. I'm sure that the cooling effects of both will be more than adequate. It's going to come down to-

what can steigemeier do porting wise(they have been a bit vague on the phone until they see the blower)? Can I run a smaller pulley and actually see gains that way? That's what I'm really looking to figure out now.