C36 AMG, C43 AMG (W202) 1995 - 2000

TVT Design, Project C43

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 03-05-2009, 10:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C43/55,2k11 Volvo S60 T6AWD,2k Audi B5 S4,95 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD 500+awhp
Originally Posted by Lorinser55
Hey carl its nick i found a 5.5 and pulled the trigger on it. Now i need your help to get this project finished up nicely
No problem!
Old 03-05-2009, 11:43 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

AMG
Dyno Dynamics dynos do have a 22% drivetrain loss, dynojets are anywhere between 18-20% (typically closer to 18% b/c they read so high/inaccurate).

The only way to measure true real world rwHP is with a DD dyno which is exactly what TVT is doing (which we commend them for doing). More and more people are switching over to DD dynos as they realize they are the most accurate and provide the best tuning platform. You might as well use a Gtech if you plan on using a dynojets, its not even a real dyno, just an inertia meter.

Keep up the great work Anthony, TVT ftw .
Old 03-08-2009, 11:17 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Chrysler Crossfire
Finally some pics of the catch can installed and the mostly finished product.

We also took advantage of the great weather and gave it a very nice detail. Some before and after pics are attached.
Attached Thumbnails TVT Design, Project C43-catchcan1.jpg   TVT Design, Project C43-catchcan2.jpg   TVT Design, Project C43-c43before.jpg   TVT Design, Project C43-c43after.jpg  
Old 03-08-2009, 01:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by TVT_DESIGN
Finally some pics of the catch can installed and the mostly finished product.

We also took advantage of the great weather and gave it a very nice detail. Some before and after pics are attached.
Where are the new dyno results with AFR's as well?
I want Dave to drive my car and do a comparison to see how the car's compare.
How much will it cost to dyno my car Anthony?

Last edited by ProjectC55; 03-08-2009 at 01:45 PM.
Old 03-08-2009, 03:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
that looks the same as those cheap ebay catch cans

and why would you need a catch can anyway? what was wrong with the standard breathing into the manifold? youve just added something else that needs to be checked and emptied
Old 03-08-2009, 03:46 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Chrysler Crossfire
Originally Posted by c280_nz
that looks the same as those cheap ebay catch cans

and why would you need a catch can anyway? what was wrong with the standard breathing into the manifold? youve just added something else that needs to be checked and emptied
It's a Vibrant Performance Catch can, by no means cheap.

You want to seperate oil from the combustion chamber in order to preserve the effective octane rating of your fuel. I've explained this several times in this thread I believe.

C55, The price of the dyno is usually around 100.00, we get different pricing because we use them a lot. Feel free to call the shop up and schedule and appointment. The name is Maximum Autosound.
Old 03-08-2009, 04:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

sounds like airplane
can you give more information about the catch-can installation? ie, instructions?

I'd like to see if I will be able to adapt it to fit my car due to the supercharger changing things around.
Old 03-09-2009, 01:35 AM

It's a Vibrant Performance Catch can, by no means cheap.

You want to seperate oil from the combustion chamber in order to preserve the effective octane rating of your fuel. I've explained this several times in this thread I believe.

C55, The price of the dyno is usually around 100.00, we get different pricing because we use them a lot. Feel free to call the shop up and schedule and appointment. The name is Maximum Autosound.
i understand what oil does ín the intake in an engine,
i have a breather system installed on my engine, no catch can just external breather air filters,
but the reason isnt for what you have said, i am not concerned that my engine breathes enough oil that it will cause detonation/pre-ignition (the most important reason you want higher octane)

have you cought any oil in it also? i would have thought you would need a larger tube to it, can you explain how you have it plumbed in? do you have the breather going thru the catch can and then back to the manifold so that the crank case still has vacume but also catches any excess oil?

Last edited by c280_nz; 03-09-2009 at 05:09 AM.
Old 03-09-2009, 03:53 AM
Banned

Lorinser 5.5
i have his catch can installed on my car. being the first to have it done by anthony i am glad i did. I have already started to accumulate oil in the catch can and can see the oil rising in the clear side marker week by week.

that oil is nasty and thick i would reccommed everyone jump on it and get it done already
Old 03-09-2009, 09:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
88-300CE TWIN TURBO, 99-C43, 05-G55K, 71-280SL, 94-E320 CAB, 08 CLK63 BLACK SERIES
Originally Posted by c280_nz
i understand what oil does ín the intake in an engine,
i have a breather system installed on my engine, no catch can just external breather air filters,
but the reason isnt for what you have said, i am not concerned that my engine breathes enough oil that it will cause detonation/pre-ignition (the most important reason you want higher octane)

have you cought any oil in it also? i would have thought you would need a larger tube to it, can you explain how you have it plumbed in? do you have the breather going thru the catch can and then back to the manifold so that the crank case still has vacume but also catches any excess oil?

Totally agree on the value of a catch can on what is in essence a stock internal NA engine.

Modern "emissions" engines are designed to accept oil vapor in the intake without detonation.
If you are pulling enough oil to lower your octane and cause detonation, then you have a major problem.

There is no empirical data that clearly indicates how much good a catch can does for a motor.

Consider how many motors are running with hundreds of thousands of miles without a catch can.

Curious does the SL65 Black come standard from Merc/AMG with a catch can?

Sometimes we over think and over engineer a situation
Old 03-10-2009, 09:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

none
Originally Posted by RBYCC

Totally agree on the value of a catch can on what is in essence a stock internal NA engine.

Modern "emissions" engines are designed to accept oil vapor in the intake without detonation.
If you are pulling enough oil to lower your octane and cause detonation, then you have a major problem.

There is no empirical data that clearly indicates how much good a catch can does for a motor.

Consider how many motors are running with hundreds of thousands of miles without a catch can.

Curious does the SL65 Black come standard from Merc/AMG with a catch can?

Sometimes we over think and over engineer a situation
Sounds dead on and makes perfect sense. My tech even mentioned that the factory mapping probably takes into account the EGR and PCV systems mixing with the air fuel charge.

I'd say it's more application specific. In my case (Drew you there?) the factory configuration PCV system would send boost to the crankcase due to the supercharger. Pulling the lines pre-blower wasn't and option either as I didn't want to pull the vapor and oil through the blower case and rotors. I was getting weeping seals running an open breather system. So for me it was either checkvalves to run factory PCV-vacuum/open breather under boost. The checkvalves have failed once sending dipstick flying out. Once is enough for me so now I have almost 10in of vacuum at the crancase at around 4200 RPM using a crankcase vacuum pump

Catchcan in this case is basically an inline filter. I'd still do it in NA form if I made the effort of cleaning the intake mani out...assuming the EGR won't gunk it up again.

Seems like you've probably got the 3 breather lines plumped into one going into the tank with one exhaust line leading to the TB for vacuum. I would just check that the line size allows enough CFM for venting. Other than that it seems pretty cool
Old 03-10-2009, 09:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

none
If anyone cares I got this one from Stephs, they make good stuff. This one has a drain petcok that I made a vacuum line to lubricate the vacuum pump vanes with the blowby oil at low RPM speeds. Vac line goes the the pumps intake port.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 03-10-2009, 10:40 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Chrysler Crossfire
We basically keep the system intact and install this inline. The lines from the valve covers go to the bottom and the vaccuum lines go to the top. It keeps the engine clean and everything near stock.

This is a mod that is done to nearly every modified car, especially N/A. Take a look at any serious Corvette, Porsche, even Honda and you will see a fairly complex catch can device.
Old 03-12-2009, 12:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

We basically keep the system intact and install this inline. The lines from the valve covers go to the bottom and the vaccuum lines go to the top. It keeps the engine clean and everything near stock.

This is a mod that is done to nearly every modified car, especially N/A. Take a look at any serious Corvette, Porsche, even Honda and you will see a fairly complex catch can device.
We r still anxiously awaiting the dyno results of Dave's car and the AFR's. Anything yet? Guys wanna see if the mani mod definitely gave the car any hp.
Old 03-16-2009, 09:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Any updates ?
Old 03-18-2009, 09:42 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Chrysler Crossfire
On the way to dyno now. With the tweaks and tune on the car since the last time, its like a whole new car.

Dave might need new rear tires a lot sooner then he thought.
Old 03-19-2009, 11:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
John Deere
I'm sorry to report that Dave's engine detonated while driving home on the Turnpike last night. This led to a collision with the guardrail. Dave is in the hospital, but it is not serious. The car appears to be a total loss.
Old 03-19-2009, 11:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
AMG
Originally Posted by Mister Brenton
I'm sorry to report that Dave's engine detonated while driving home on the Turnpike last night. This led to a collision with the guardrail. Dave is in the hospital, but it is not serious. The car appears to be a total loss.
For real?

Dave - hope you are okay and get healed up soon bro!!
Old 03-19-2009, 12:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

88-300CE TWIN TURBO, 99-C43, 05-G55K, 71-280SL, 94-E320 CAB, 08 CLK63 BLACK SERIES

If true the car's condition is secondary to Dave's health !!!
Hope all is okay.

What caused the detonation?
Just was on a dyno, not looking at AFR's ?

TVT please report....

Last edited by RBYCC; 03-19-2009 at 12:45 PM.
Old 03-19-2009, 01:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

John Deere
No, no, I was just kidding.

Dave or Anthony will probably post the conclusion of the mods later today. If I hear 'oil catch can' one more time, I'm going to scream.
Old 03-19-2009, 01:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
AMG

Dave or Anthony will probably post the conclusion of the mods later today. If I hear 'oil catch can' one more time, I'm going to scream.

I guess I can quit calling hospitals trying to track him down....

He didn't answer his cell today after I read the news on here and haven't been able to reach him at his office for at least a week.
Old 03-19-2009, 01:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

John Deere
He can't use his cell during working hours. I think he works for Joseph Stalin.
Old 03-19-2009, 01:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

none
Come on already!! Lets see some #'s, and if possible I would love to see the car hit one of the drag strips to see what it does. I think that would give a better idea of what the car can do now.

..lastly, can you give me a few more details about the "oil catch can"?

J/K, but please give more information about the injectors.
Old 03-19-2009, 02:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

"OIL CATCH CAN"
Old 03-19-2009, 02:30 PM
Super Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
GMC - Miata - Trek - P-Car
...If I hear 'oil catch can' one more time, I'm going to scream.
May the blow-by residue trapped within every performance-savvy member’s oil catch can infest your intake tract. =)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: TVT Design, Project C43