C36 AMG, C43 AMG (W202) 1995 - 2000

I got it (C43)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-12-2009, 10:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C43
Thumbs up I got it (C43)

I just missed a C43 for sale in my area a few months back. I was bored and was pipe dreaming and plugged in C43 on auto trader...There she was- Black with the two tone seats. what?! 33 miles away?

I had to go and at least drive it right? Well the moons lined up and a few days later I am a very happy owner of a 98 C43. I love this car. Wanted one for a while and very happy I made it. Just hope my C280 sport sells quick to make the justification of funds a sound move. I figured it was move or loose out.
Old 10-12-2009, 10:14 PM

1992 300E, 1995 C36 AMG, 1969 VW Bug
Originally Posted by Frank Castle
I just missed a C43 for sale in my area a few months back. I was bored and was pipe dreaming and plugged in C43 on auto trader...There she was- Black with the two tone seats. what?! 33 miles away?

I had to go and at least drive it right? Well the moons lined up and a few days later I am a very happy owner of a 98 C43. I love this car. Wanted one for a while and very happy I made it. Just hope my C280 sport sells quick to make the justification of funds a sound move. I figured it was move or loose out.

Nice find and congrats on the two tone seats. If I ever get a C43 I want that option.
Old 10-12-2009, 10:25 PM

C43
Thanks. The seats were well taken care of. The steering wheel's top needs to be re-upholstered- Its a shame to try and conceal the blemish under a cheesy cover. Other than that the interior is mint. The white stitching rocks.
Old 10-12-2009, 10:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
98 Black C43 , 08' ML320 CDI ,11 E63
Need details , mileage , price ,pics etc.
Old 10-13-2009, 12:29 AM

AMG C43, 1999
Welcome to the world of AMG C43's. One of the best, if not the best C Class mercedes has made. I love my C43/55.

Jeff
Old 10-13-2009, 01:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 380 Likes on 283 Posts
05 c55 silver, 98 Imperial Red C43
Originally Posted by speedybenz
Welcome to the world of AMG C43's. One of the best, if not the best C Class mercedes has made. I love my C43/55.

Jeff

Congratz and enjoy
Old 10-13-2009, 12:10 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
E55 C43 993C2S
congrats, and welcome!
Old 10-13-2009, 04:19 PM

C43 AMG & E55 AMG
gratssssssssssssssssssssssss
best c class ever made indeed, I agree

Keep it clean!!

Old 10-13-2009, 09:20 PM

C43
Originally Posted by C43AMG
Need details , mileage , price ,pics etc.
Ok- first off thank you for the warm welcome Apologies for the late reply.

Miles were 112k I picked it up for $7800- YEA...how can you resist. Inside is mint. This is my 3rd 202 and so far its the cleanest inside. No blemishes but for the top of the steering wheel. Its funny because its right where my hand lands also. I found a guy who does custom interiors and this should be short work for him.

On the outside its paint is dying for a detail. So far all I have done was hit it with Turtlewax black wax once by hand. My buddy was a detailer and will do it sweet justice with his buffer. This is my 3rd black 202...the best base paint for a detail so far.

The auto dim mirror was out and brown. I had a C220 Instrument panel that Potomac German Auto (Mercedes / German car bone yard) was nice enough to let me exchange for a mirror. Thanks to the forum I saved on having to get it painted as I discovered how to pull the shell off and place it with the original. I plugged it in and now its fixed.

Upon inspection I was failed for a fog light bulb, tires (rear bologna skins), and rotors did not meet thickness. I bought it VA passed but this guy went over it strict. On the bright side no issues were found other than a small oil leak. Not a gasket just near oil pump with an estimate $300 there.

As luck would have it my rear mono block had a leak. I took it off to find it has a slight crack on the inside lip. Hope to get it fixed. The spare has a spanking new mono block with new tire, but its even smaller than the fronts.

I have 17" 10 spoke chrome wheels. I take it is sacrilegious to not go staggered set up on this. I'd love to get some chrome hammers for it.

The radio is stock with the 6 disc insert missing. In the process of swapping my DVD, MP3 so that won't be a big deal. As for now the purrr of the V8 keeps me entertained- seriously it does

I replaced the grille with the S600 style and placed clear corners on it now. Its screaming for some tint and I'll be done. Right now its a mess for pics. Inside its got radio harness guts and outside its running a skinny tire in the back. Like a lame donut. SO pics I'll promise for later.

I ordered the rotors- question is....are these any trickier than the average? How long will these expensive puppies last? I hope they get some mileage out of em at $276 a pop. Found some for $240- but man. (welcome to AMG ownership) Hope my C280 sport sells quick so I can feed the 43 right.

Last edited by Frank Castle; 10-13-2009 at 09:25 PM.
Old 10-13-2009, 09:27 PM

E55 C43 993C2S
Ok- first off thank you for the warm welcome Apologies for the late reply.

Miles were 112k I picked it up for $7800- YEA...how can you resist. Inside is mint. This is my 3rd 202 and so far its the cleanest inside. No blemishes but for the top of the steering wheel. Its funny because its right where my hand lands also. I found a guy who does custom interiors and this should be short work for him.

On the outside its paint is dying for a detail. So far all I have done was hit it with Turtlewax black wax once by hand. My buddy was a detailer and will do it sweet justice with his buffer. This is my 3rd black 202...the best base paint for a detail so far.

The auto dim mirror was out and brown. I had a C220 Instrument panel that Potomac German Auto (Mercedes / German car bone yard) was nice enough to let me exchange for a mirror. Thanks to the forum I saved on having to get it painted as I discovered how to pull the shell off and place it with the original. I plugged it in and now its fixed.

Upon inspection I was failed for a fog light bulb, tires (rear bologna skins), and rotors did not meet thickness. I bought it VA passed but this guy went over it strict. On the bright side no issues were found other than a small oil leak. Not a gasket just near oil pump with an estimate $300 there.

As luck would have it my rear mono block had a leak. I took it off to find it has a slight crack on the inside lip. Hope to get it fixed. The spare has a spanking new mono block with new tire, but its even smaller than the fronts.

I have 17" 10 spoke chrome wheels. I take it is sacrilegious to not go staggered set up on this. I'd love to get some chrome hammers for it.

The radio is stock with the 6 disc insert missing. In the process of swapping my DVD, MP3 so that won't be a big deal. As for now the purrr of the V8 keeps me entertained- seriously it does

I replaced the grille with the S600 style and placed clear corners on it now. Its screaming for some tint and I'll be done. Right now its a mess for pics. Inside its got radio harness guts and outside its running a skinny tire in the back. Like a lame donut. SO pics I'll promise for later.

I ordered the rotors- question is....are these any trickier than the average? How long will these expensive puppies last? I hope they get some mileage out of em at $276 a pop. Found some for $240- but man. (welcome to AMG ownership) Hope my C280 sport sells quick so I can feed the 43 right.
I think I came across that car early on in the year when I was looking. Was it located in VA? Where you found rotors for that price, I'll be needing a pair soon. And what part of MD are you located?
Old 10-13-2009, 09:52 PM

C43
Trinitony I got the parts at http://www.usautoparts.net . Sign up for their emails and they send you coupon deals abiut once per week. It seems like spam till you need one. I was able to knock off 10% on top of the price. Shipping was $5.50 and it took 2 days.

I got the car at a Toyota dealer in Springfield VA. I just missed another of the same color 2 months prior in DC area. I thought it was the same car due to the same tear in the steering wheel. I asked the first guy (private seller) if it was his cause it seemed scary the car would be back on the market in 2 months. He confirmed his was now in Pittsburgh though.
Old 10-13-2009, 10:59 PM

E55 C43 993C2S
Trinitony I got the parts at http://www.usautoparts.net . Sign up for their emails and they send you coupon deals abiut once per week. It seems like spam till you need one. I was able to knock off 10% on top of the price. Shipping was $5.50 and it took 2 days.

I got the car at a Toyota dealer in Springfield VA. I just missed another of the same color 2 months prior in DC area. I thought it was the same car due to the same tear in the steering wheel. I asked the first guy (private seller) if it was his cause it seemed scary the car would be back on the market in 2 months. He confirmed his was now in Pittsburgh though.
tks -the cheapest I've been seeing is $320. The C I'm thinking about was being sold by a VA dealer for his friend, that he had previously sold it too a few years back. And I remember the steering also having a tear. This was back in April though.
Old 10-13-2009, 11:11 PM

C43
Originally Posted by trinitony
tks -the cheapest I've been seeing is $320. The C I'm thinking about was being sold by a VA dealer for his friend, that he had previously sold it too a few years back. And I remember the steering also having a tear. This was back in April though.
Not this one then. Car fax had it owned for 6 yrs by its last owner. These rotors are not after market. If you were not aware each side is a different part. Its nice to see the rears are gonna be cheap when the time comes. I am going to attempt installing them Thursday.
Old 10-13-2009, 11:36 PM

1999 c43
congrats on your purchase i just got mine for the same price out here in los angeles same color too, and yes my steering wheel is being recovered too lol. Good price on the rotors i have a whole sale account with the dealer and my price is around $250 each. easy install just bigger and heavier and pay attention to wich is right and left.
Old 10-14-2009, 07:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts
98 C43, 15 Alfa 4C LE, 18 Tesla Model 3 DM Perf, 08 Duc S1000, 02 Duc 998, 98 Duc 748, 01 Miata
Congrats on the purchase.

The spare is sized to have an almost identical rolling diameter to the rear wheels. Believe it or not, the front wheels actually have a larger rolling diameter than the rear wheels on the C43.
Old 10-14-2009, 09:30 AM

C43
Originally Posted by ECTurboGSX
Congrats on the purchase.

The spare is sized to have an almost identical rolling diameter to the rear wheels. Believe it or not, the front wheels actually have a larger rolling diameter than the rear wheels on the C43.
The wheel is new and I wanted to put it on the car with a new tire. Will the spare rim be the same size as the rear? I asumed not, just have not had time to get to that point yet. Swapping all wheels off my other 202 now. I wish it could have fit the 16" AMGs I have with fresh winters. Getting hit with lots of things at once and new tires and the cracked wheel are adding to it.

So that'd be nice if the spare rim could be put to use vs going back into the trunk all nice n new.
Old 10-14-2009, 12:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts
98 C43, 15 Alfa 4C LE, 18 Tesla Model 3 DM Perf, 08 Duc S1000, 02 Duc 998, 98 Duc 748, 01 Miata
The wheel is new and I wanted to put it on the car with a new tire. Will the spare rim be the same size as the rear? I asumed not, just have not had time to get to that point yet. Swapping all wheels off my other 202 now. I wish it could have fit the 16" AMGs I have with fresh winters. Getting hit with lots of things at once and new tires and the cracked wheel are adding to it.

So that'd be nice if the spare rim could be put to use vs going back into the trunk all nice n new.
Front Tire Size = 225/45/17 Rolling Diameter = 25.0"
Rear Tire Size = 245/40/17 Rolling Diameter = 24.7"
Spare Tire Size = 215/45/17 Rolling Diameter = 24.6"

The spare tire is not the same size as the rear tire, it just has a very close rolling diameter. Drive wheels need to have the same diameter in order to not stress the driveline. The wheel itself on the spare tire is probably the same dimensions as a front wheel. But basically yes, you'll have to put the spare tire back in the trunk. It isn't the right size to run around on for very long.
Old 10-14-2009, 01:20 PM

C43
Thanks ECTurboGSX,

I was hoping the rims size could be exchanged for my cracked rear mono. Hope its not to repairable.
Old 10-15-2009, 08:33 PM

99'C43, 88'M5,01'H1
Nice find...

bought mine at auction a month ago. I love this thing and plan to have it for some time. On the last leg of my rotors as well. Will let the forum know the price I can get them for. Lets see some pics!!!
Old 12-18-2009, 05:43 PM

C43
Found the Wheel Doctor out of Gaithersburg, MD is great. He fixed up a warped Mono for $100.00 2 day turn around. He also Wielded a crack in another rim for an additional $50.00. Lots cheaper than finding a replacement.

I am sticking with the Monoblocks staggered set up. Anyone need a set of Chrome 10 spokes?

PICS I know I know. Its been so crappy out. I gotta have it detail clean to be worthy of a photo shoot. Some day I'll get this done I promise.