Bentley manual vs. Star Classic CD?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-30-2009, 07:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
eclectic assortment of cars
Bentley manual vs. Star Classic CD?

Anyone use either of these? I see that the new Bentley doesn't cover the AMGs, only the more plebian models, but I figure it's probably still good for everything else not engine related. I've seen them as cheap as US$90 on eBay.

The other option is the Star Classic manuals on CD-ROM available from Mercedes Canada, online. But it's C$200.

I've used Bentley manuals before with my Saab and MINI, both very good, based off factory manuals. But I'm a bit wary of the lack of C43 coverage. I suppose anything engine related one could really just look up on the E-Class forums?

Any other repair manual recommendations?
Old 12-01-2009, 02:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 78 Likes on 62 Posts
2002 CLK430
Plebeian? Man, if you're going to insult us, get the spelling right. That and I checked the rulebook. You're not allowed to call me a Plebeian AND complain about pricing. It's one or the other (hopefully this humor works via the web).

I've used the WIS and the Star Classic CD for my CLK. Between those two, there is very little I can't find. The Star Classic CD is MUCH easier to search, but unfortunately, it skips some AMG specific information. The WIS will give you ALL the info for almost anything MB ever made - including the AMG specs that the Star Classic is missing. Once you're used to the WIS, it's pretty simple. Way back when, I paid $25 for a WIS on Ebay, and gave MBUSA $60 for the Star Classic Service CD. The Ebag WIS' are obviously bootlegs, but they work.

Being a Patrician, I started a "pay it forward WIS chain" that never went anywhere. I burned 2 DVDs and send them out. Each of the two recipients were to burn 2 more, and send those to four others, and so on. By now we should have established WIS world domination, but I think some cheapskates broke the chain.
Old 12-01-2009, 11:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Doh! One missed letter, and the proverbial foot goes into mouth! Next time I'll stick with a reference to sans-culottes instead. I'll be the first to admit being cheap though...it stems from keeping costs down on all the peripheral items for cars, so that more money can be spent on the expensive mods and such....

There's different pricing for the various models of Star Classic CDs, unfortunately the 202 is one of the more expensive ones. Maybe I'll start with the WIS and snag the Bentley too. The Star Classic says it covers the AMG, it's just the Bentley that doesn't. At least they're up front about it.

If you're willing to start up the WIS chain again, I'm game. BTW, I perused your site extensively in my C43 research. Thanks!
Old 12-01-2009, 01:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 78 Likes on 62 Posts
2002 CLK430
I’ll see if I can dig up my original WIS media. I loaded it to a home desktop in 2005 and have used the CDs sparingly since - just to make copies and upgrade desktops. The WIS has everything the STAR CDs has AND MORE. There are a couple of downsides to the WIS. (1) There is no search capability. If there is, in the past 5 years, I haven’t stumbled across it. (2) It must have internet access or the language defaults to German. I have doubts that it actually talks to some Deutschland server, but if my internet service provider is down, or my virus software blocks it – it’s all German, all the time. Other than that, the WIS is great.
Old 12-01-2009, 06:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Hmmm...the German courses I took in my first year of university may prove useful then! Up to this point, my crowning achievements in German were buying a pair of shoes in Vienna, and train tickets in Munich....

Thanks for the insight again. Perhaps best to just try the WIS first before buying Star Classic or the Bentley then. If you find the discs, shoot me a PM and we can deal from there.