C36 AMG, C43 AMG (W202) 1995 - 2000

opinions on brake pads

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 12:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1997 C36 AMG
opinions on brake pads

hey, i just wanted to get some people thoughts/opinions about brake pads....what are you guys using, what do you like, what don't like, etc...

i have heard good things about the "Akebono Euro" applications, but wanted some input before i make a decision.

thanks
Old 03-03-2010, 02:52 PM
Banned

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by AMG_C36
hey, i just wanted to get some people thoughts/opinions about brake pads....what are you guys using, what do you like, what don't like, etc...

i have heard good things about the "Akebono Euro" applications, but wanted some input before i make a decision.

thanks
hey bro, I've got Porterfield R4S on my C43, they never squeel like a rat, quiet all the time!
They know to keep their mouth shut!

Yup I like em', but they cost me like 120 bux for the front rotors 6 years ago I think?
Rears are still factory MB never changed yet!

Jurids are like da bomb!
The best OEM pad ever, but they are filthy n dirty!
You have to clean your rims often, but the bite is awsome!
Old 03-03-2010, 04:04 PM

1969 280SEL/1981 380SL/ 1991 560SEC/ 1995 C280
Akebono's are fantastic!
Old 03-03-2010, 04:34 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
E55 C43 993C2S
Porterfield - zero dust. Well there's some, but it so light that you can hardly notice it.
Old 03-03-2010, 05:25 PM

1997 C36 AMG
Originally Posted by trinitony
Porterfield - zero dust. Well there's some, but it so light that you can hardly notice it.
how is the stopping power on the porterfields?

also, anyone have a good site for getting some steel brake lines for the c36?
Old 03-03-2010, 06:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I heard this from word of mouth, so I don't know the true validity of what i'm about to say, but i think it's somewhat important for peace of mind.

If you don't like coughing up a **** ton of money for new rotors every few years, then it's suggested you stick to OEM. The rotors on c36/43 are relatively soft, and a hard compound brake pad like akebonos (that's not oem) could easily trim the life of the rotor away like crazy (not that i'm taking a pot shot at akebonos, i think they're great). But in other words, you'd end up changing the rotors before the brake pads. But then when you change rotors, you change pads too. See the buildup on costs?

OEM creates a buttload of brake dust on our wheels, but that's because they're also made of soft compounds themselves.
Old 03-03-2010, 06:43 PM

1997 C36 AMG
Originally Posted by thepinoc
I heard this from word of mouth, so I don't know the true validity of what i'm about to say, but i think it's somewhat important for peace of mind.

If you don't like coughing up a **** ton of money for new rotors every few years, then it's suggested you stick to OEM. The rotors on c36/43 are relatively soft, and a hard compound brake pad like akebonos (that's not oem) could easily trim the life of the rotor away like crazy (not that i'm taking a pot shot at akebonos, i think they're great). But in other words, you'd end up changing the rotors before the brake pads. But then when you change rotors, you change pads too. See the buildup on costs?

OEM creates a buttload of brake dust on our wheels, but that's because they're also made of soft compounds themselves.
thanks for the info man.....i may end up with a set of OEM's now. you have a good source for the OEM pads?
Old 03-03-2010, 07:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

http://www.autohausaz.com/
direct link to c36 brake pads: http://www.autohausaz.com/search/pro...ke%20Pad%20Set

Reliable, fast, and cheap. I bought a FULL set of oem rotors and pads for my 98 c230 for $200.25, free shipping.
Old 03-03-2010, 08:29 PM

83 500SEC, 87 300D, 02 C32(x2), 02 C320T (x2), 03 C320T4, 03 C320T, 03 E55, 05 E320CDI, 06 E320CDI
1) OEM
2) Porterfield R4S
3) Porterfield R4 (for track)
Old 03-03-2010, 11:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1996 C36 AMG, 1995 Volvo 850 Turbowagon
don't have exp with porterfield.. but here's some other for reference, in order of "feel"

1) oem - not much to say...
2) hawk hps - quiet, relatively dust free, mediocre bite when dry, poor bite when wet
3) galfer - pretty good, but dust gets a bit annoying, has separate metal backing for quiet
4) mintex extreme - very good, great initial bite, very dusty, ridiculously noise regardless of what u do, and lasts .. less than 10k miles?
Old 03-04-2010, 07:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1967 Morris Cooper "S", 1983 911SC, 1997 Toyota Tacoma, 1999 HD FXSTB, 1998 C43
RBC RED

I use the red EBC pads - I did not want a super hard semi metallic pad eating up my rotors - pads are cheap, rotors are not. With permatex disc quiet on them they're quiet as a church mouse LINK WITH PICS AND HOW TO
Old 03-04-2010, 08:33 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
E55 C43 993C2S
Originally Posted by StapleGun
I use the red EBC pads - I did not want a super hard semi metallic pad eating up my rotors - pads are cheap, rotors are not. With permatex disc quiet on them they're quiet as a church mouse LINK WITH PICS AND HOW TO
? How is the dust with these pads?
Old 03-04-2010, 11:16 AM

1997 C36 AMG
Originally Posted by StapleGun
staplegun,

thanks for the tutorial....good stuff man. my rotors still have a little life left in em, so i think i am just gonna go with new pads. seems like the ebc red's are a solid option that won't eat right through a stock c36 rotor. my buddy who is a mechanic reccomended the Akebono Euro's, so i thought i would see what folks thought. kinda going between the akebono's and the ebc reds
Old 03-04-2010, 10:08 PM

1999 W210 E300 Turbodiesel
Akebono is the BEST EVER!!!
no dust on wheels,good Performance and lasts long!
Old 03-04-2010, 11:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by kinghais
Akebono is the BEST EVER!!!
no dust on wheels,good Performance and lasts long!
but what's the point of pads lasting long if the rotors dont? akebonos ARE made of a harder substance than oem, hence the absence of brake dust.

But hey, to each his own.
Old 03-05-2010, 03:56 AM
Banned

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts
so the best solution is to use OEM pads!

what comes next in second place?

Porterfields R4S or Akebonos?

These aftermarket pads do they have soft or hard compound?

Porterfields claim on their websajt they are rotorfriendly?
Is this true?
That's why I bought them 5 years ago and still have them after 25000 km!
Still have a thick pad on them!

So the best aftermarket pads for long life rotors life, what brand is the best to go for with little or no dust?

Jurids are superb and by far the best OEM pad I've ever experianced but they are filthy in dust!
Old 03-05-2010, 10:39 AM

1992 300E, 1995 C36 AMG, 1969 VW Bug
but what's the point of pads lasting long if the rotors dont? akebonos ARE made of a harder substance than oem, hence the absence of brake dust.

Personally, here's how I see it:
Pads and rotors are pretty much consumables. I'd rather have better stopping capabilities at the expense of having to replaced brake components more often.

However, I'm also gearing up for the summer track season in the C36 so chewing through brakes and tires is to be expected.

With that said, for daily driving, the OEM pads do a pretty damn good job and last a long time. They're just dusty as hell.
Old 03-05-2010, 10:57 AM

1997 C36 AMG

i fully understand what you're sayin man....maybe it is time to get some new rotors if i am gonna get some new pads anyways....

what do you guys think of these:
http://www.mbpartswarehouse.com/part...668+11920+6854

the Zimmerman Rotors for the fronts.....seems like a decent price. anyone know of any fitment issues?
Old 03-05-2010, 11:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by PaulRicciardi
Personally, here's how I see it:
Pads and rotors are pretty much consumables. I'd rather have better stopping capabilities at the expense of having to replaced brake components more often.

However, I'm also gearing up for the summer track season in the C36 so chewing through brakes and tires is to be expected.

With that said, for daily driving, the OEM pads do a pretty damn good job and last a long time. They're just dusty as hell.
damn straight, if you're gonna track or do some late night dragging "in mexico" then i'm all for pads with lower life, but better brake power. No point in saving a few bucks that can end up costing your life when the brakes fail.

Ofc it was perhaps my mistake to assume we were talking about just daily run of the mill driving.

And speaking of which, any of you guys know where i can find those damn rotor measurement tools? Shows how thick the rotor is, so we know when to get it replaced?

Originally Posted by AMG_C36
i fully understand what you're sayin man....maybe it is time to get some new rotors if i am gonna get some new pads anyways....

what do you guys think of these:
http://www.mbpartswarehouse.com/part...668+11920+6854

the Zimmerman Rotors for the fronts.....seems like a decent price. anyone know of any fitment issues?
Zimmerman is a well known product with decent-good quality. Not the absolute best, but nowhere near the worst. It SHOULD be direct bolt on without issues.

Last edited by LawRens; 03-05-2010 at 11:18 AM.
Old 03-05-2010, 02:12 PM

1997 C36 AMG
damn straight, if you're gonna track or do some late night dragging "in mexico" then i'm all for pads with lower life, but better brake power. No point in saving a few bucks that can end up costing your life when the brakes fail.

Ofc it was perhaps my mistake to assume we were talking about just daily run of the mill driving.

And speaking of which, any of you guys know where i can find those damn rotor measurement tools? Shows how thick the rotor is, so we know when to get it replaced?

Zimmerman is a well known product with decent-good quality. Not the absolute best, but nowhere near the worst. It SHOULD be direct bolt on without issues.

yeah, i know Zimmerman, i just wasn't sure about this particular rotor. i hadn't set out to get drilled rotors, but if people have good things to say about them, maybe i will give them a shot. anyone else have any experience with the zimmerman rotors....or any other reasonably priced rotors?
Old 03-05-2010, 07:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts
2002 CLK430
It's called a micrometer. Tool stores, the tool section at some home improvement stores, and Sears definitely carries them. If the salesman asks you which kind, you want an "outside micrometer".