Vibration in engine at take off

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-06-2012, 07:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts
1999 C43, 2008 P30 E63, 2014 SQ5, 2024 Model Y Performance
Originally Posted by whipplem104
So your have a vibration when you punch the throttle? You had mentioned it does it at 1700-2000 rpm range in park and neutral. Is this only when punching the throttle also?
No, If I rev to 1700-2000 RPM and hold it I feel the vibration. What I meant by "feel it when I punch the throttle" is if I ease past 1700-2000 RPM you can't really feel it but if I go 1/2 throttle or more you feel it and the more gas you give the more vibration occurs.
Old 06-13-2012, 03:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 CLK 230K Auto Elegence
Hi All,

Well the car went in yesterday and I am picking it up this afternoon if it is all done on time. No I have not driven it yet so until I do I will not know for sure if the vibration has gone, but they work that has been carried out is replace the prop shaft coupling and the centre bearing. According to the MB mechanic the coupling was almost hanging off so was an obvious cause of any vibration and the centre bearing is being replaced because of the excessive vibration causing that to be shredded also. I do have a few other niggles on the car, brake discs and wheel bearing but nothing major to cause the vibration.

Before carrying out the work I had a full work up of the car to check for any other problems and I was told the flex discs, tranny and engine mounts were fine. So in his mind the only cause of the vibration was the prop shaft coupling.

When I finally pick up the car I will post a report on how its driving and also post a pic of the part list that have been replaced.

Hope this helps in some way.

Matt
Old 06-13-2012, 07:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

isn't the prop shaft coupling a flex disc?
Old 06-13-2012, 07:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 256 Likes on 216 Posts
12' W204 C63 AMG coupe "T-Rex", 12' W451 Smart Fortwo Pulse (99' W202 C43 AMG sold)
Originally Posted by 503C43 ////AMG
isn't the prop shaft coupling a flex disc?
Sure is and I believe you changed them both
However, I think your culprit is in prop shaft central bearing
Old 06-13-2012, 08:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by DRBC43AMG
Sure is and I believe you changed them both
However, I think your culprit is in prop shaft central bearing
Dills just sent me a PM stating everything he had changed and I have already changed all of the parts he listed, including the center support bearing. Is it possible to change the center support bearing and have some sort of wobble that would create the vibration?

Anyone know where I can get a new center support and bearing?
Old 06-14-2012, 12:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

12' W204 C63 AMG coupe "T-Rex", 12' W451 Smart Fortwo Pulse (99' W202 C43 AMG sold)
Dills just sent me a PM stating everything he had changed and I have already changed all of the parts he listed, including the center support bearing. Is it possible to change the center support bearing and have some sort of wobble that would create the vibration?

Anyone know where I can get a new center support and bearing?
The bearing has to be perfectly centered. Perhaps it is not so?
Old 06-18-2012, 12:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

UPDATE:

I have arranged to take my car into a 3rd indy to see if they can determine the source of the vibration. The difference this time is this indy has 30 years of experience with Mercedes vehicles and has 2 shops side by side, transmission and maintenance.

I talked with the owner at length and he definitely is VERY familiar with the 722.6 tranny. I am hoping it isn't the transmission but after everything I have replaced I find it hard to believe it is not. Either way I am dropping it off tomorrow afternoon and expect a diagnosis by Tuesday.

I will post the results as soon as I get them

Wish me luck
Old 06-18-2012, 02:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Looking forward on hearing the word of 30 years of wisdom
Old 06-23-2012, 02:06 PM

Received 10 Likes on 1 Post
2004 CLK55
Any update?
Old 06-23-2012, 02:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by tri-star tech
Any update?
I had them take a look at it and test drive it. The tech definitely felt the vibration and had some ideas as what it could be. I showed up late due to work and was unable to leave my car that day so I rescheduled to drop it off on Monday. They are going to get it up on the rack and disconnect the tranny from the torque convertor to determine if the vibration is motor or tranny/drive line related.

These guys definitely know their way around an MB so I have confidence they should be able to pin point the problem.

The techs LOVED my car, especially the one who test drove it
Old 06-23-2012, 04:23 PM
Banned

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts
I had them take a look at it and test drive it. The tech definitely felt the vibration and had some ideas as what it could be. I showed up late due to work and was unable to leave my car that day so I rescheduled to drop it off on Monday. They are going to get it up on the rack and disconnect the tranny from the torque convertor to determine if the vibration is motor or tranny/drive line related.

These guys definitely know their way around an MB so I have confidence they should be able to pin point the problem.

The techs LOVED my car, especially the one who test drove it
mechanic will for sure testdrive your car when you've left the building!
measure you tiretread b4 you leave the car and when you drop it at the shop take a pic of your mileage and compare when you leave.
these dix drives customers cars like carthieves
Old 06-25-2012, 11:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

UPDATE:

Dropped my baby off today, I am expecting a diagnosis by tomorrow, I will post as soon as I hear back from the shop.

Think good thoughts for me, I have come up with a nice little mantra:

not the tranny, not the tranny, not the tranny

Old 06-26-2012, 09:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

UPDATE:

The shop called me today and let me know they ruled out the vibration being engine related. They were unable to pinpoint the exact cause but they believe it to be drive line related. I am seriously questioning the center support bearing even though the support and bearing were changed a little while ago. Dills13 described the exact same symptoms as I am experiencing and had the flex discs and center support and bearing replaced which eliminated the issue. I have replaced the flex discs within the last 3 months so that rules that out. Unfortunately the shop is SWAMPED and they will not be able to get to my car until next week. I am calling a different shop to see if they can get me in sooner.

To the techs on this site,
Does my problem sound drive line related?

EDIT: I feel the vibration in Neutral and Park as well, how could it be the drive line if the drive line isn't spinning??? Is the harmonic balancer the possible culprit? I have had the engine mounts checked by 3 different techs all said they looked good plus my idle is very smooth.

The saga continues...

Last edited by 503C43 ////AMG; 06-26-2012 at 09:31 PM.
Old 06-27-2012, 10:15 AM

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
1990 300ce supercharged and intercooled
It just occurred to me to ask them to break the exhaust bolts loose from the manifolds. The engine and trans mounts also. Lift the engine up and little and drop it back down and tighten and then tighten the exhaust back up. If you had all the mounts replaced and the exhaust was not removed that can create bind. I do not see how it is possible that a center support bearing or any driveline part other than the torque converter could cause a vibration while not moving. Honestly you have me intrigued. If these guys do not get it for you bring up here and let me go for a ride.
Old 06-27-2012, 05:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by whipplem104
It just occurred to me to ask them to break the exhaust bolts loose from the manifolds. The engine and trans mounts also. Lift the engine up and little and drop it back down and tighten and then tighten the exhaust back up. If you had all the mounts replaced and the exhaust was not removed that can create bind. I do not see how it is possible that a center support bearing or any driveline part other than the torque converter could cause a vibration while not moving. Honestly you have me intrigued. If these guys do not get it for you bring up here and let me go for a ride.
The exhaust was removed when I had the Kleemann headers put on (they needed modification as they were made incorrectly) and then the stock exhaust was re-installed.

I have finally broke down and made an appointment at the MB dealership, guess its time to bring out the lube and bend over
Old 06-28-2012, 10:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The dealership got back to me and there response was LAUGHABLE to say the least.

Here is what they said I needed and the price quotes to boot:

You need two front tires $815.87, Left front outer tie rods $456.91, and a Alignment $125.00

1.) I do need front tires but $815 for 2 front tires you have got to be kidding me, are these tires made of gold??
2.) I just replaced the drag link on 3/10/2011, correct me if I am wrong but doesn't the drag link have outer tie rods?? How could I need a left set so quick?? and $456 for just the left set, I paid half that for the entire Lemforder drag link!
3.) I have had an alignment done 2 times, granted not by MB so I'll take the alignment

a. I installed brand new rims and tires on 5/28/2010 with no change in the vibration.
b. I installed the new drag link with no change in vibration.
c. I have had 2 alignments with no change in vibration.

I really feel like they missed the mark here. I wrote them an email asking them to look at the
torque convertor, drive line, rear differential, motor mounts, transmission and center support bearing.

I am SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO fed up with this, this will make the 4th shop I have taken it to with no one able to pin point the problem
Old 06-28-2012, 11:28 PM

1999 C43
Whats up guys. New here. Bought my 99 C43 about 3 months ago. Just signed up here real quick to jump in since I have been following this issue a little bit. Ill do a better introduction later.

Based on your description Im having a VERY similar vibration as you. I just did the flex discs and no center bearing. I should be able to go down and drive it more this weekend unfortunately Ive just bee to busy to see what it did. I also did a fluid change to freshen it a little bit. Im trying to eliminate things since I've been following your thread...aka lurking. lol

Unfortunately while I was working (my full time job) my buddy pulled the plug when I wasn't around so I couldn't get a good enough sample to send to Blackstone for testing.I know some of you differ on changing the fluid but I was willing to risk a few quarts of fresh fluid and leaving some of the old in. Whats to lose? It'll go if its going to go anyway.

You should get a fluid sample if you can to try and help your situation. You don't need too much it just has to be clean and not come in to contact with anything else. That will at least tell you if you're showing any increased metals or other materials.

http://www.blackstone-labs.com/transmission.php

Ill let you know what I find. I didn't do the center support because it look and checked out fine when we inspected it.
Old 06-28-2012, 11:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by VAC43AMG
Whats up guys. New here. Bought my 99 C43 about 3 months ago. Just signed up here real quick to jump in since I have been following this issue a little bit. Ill do a better introduction later.

Based on your description Im having a VERY similar vibration as you. I just did the flex discs and no center bearing. I should be able to go down and drive it more this weekend unfortunately Ive just bee to busy to see what it did. I also did a fluid change to freshen it a little bit. Im trying to eliminate things since I've been following your thread...aka lurking. lol

Unfortunately while I was working (my full time job) my buddy pulled the plug when I wasn't around so I couldn't get a good enough sample to send to Blackstone for testing.I know some of you differ on changing the fluid but I was willing to risk a few quarts of fresh fluid and leaving some of the old in. Whats to lose? It'll go if its going to go anyway.

You should get a fluid sample if you can to try and help your situation. You don't need too much it just has to be clean and not come in to contact with anything else. That will at least tell you if you're showing any increased metals or other materials.

http://www.blackstone-labs.com/transmission.php

Ill let you know what I find. I didn't do the center support because it look and checked out fine when we inspected it.
I had my tranny serviced by MB about 15,000 miles ago and they said everything looked fine as far as the transmission was concerned. After the quotes for repair I got today I find it hard to believe they wouldn't of tried to upsell some sort of transmission repair/replacement if there was even a hint of metal in the pan.

Please post if you find the solution to your vibration, as far as my luck has been going you will have the no vibration after your flex discs were changed, much like Dills13
Old 06-29-2012, 01:58 AM

Dynocomped C43K, 08 X5
Jason! i think its the motor mount. The engine moves or shake more in the low rpm range and not so much in high rpm range. Open the hood and use the throttle wire thing to duplicate the symptom. I think you will find your engine vibrate more in the lower rpm. Maybe its because the mounts are liquid filled and bouncy Vibration or oscilation are frequencies and they can magnify or cancel out iirc. When I replaced mine, thry looked new and had no vibrations, but they wereabout 1/2 inch lower than new ones!
Old 06-29-2012, 04:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

When looking under my 43, I noticed some brownish steaks around the left engine mount. Is this a sign it's shot or on the way out?
I can't turn over the engine to see if the engine moves up and down when accelerating because the MAF is out and brake pipes disconnected.
Old 06-29-2012, 07:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Motorsport3
Jason! i think its the motor mount. The engine moves or shake more in the low rpm range and not so much in high rpm range. Open the hood and use the throttle wire thing to duplicate the symptom. I think you will find your engine vibrate more in the lower rpm. Maybe its because the mounts are liquid filled and bouncy Vibration or oscilation are frequencies and they can magnify or cancel out iirc. When I replaced mine, thry looked new and had no vibrations, but they wereabout 1/2 inch lower than new ones!
I had them inspect the motor mounts again (4th time) and again they said everything looked fine. I asked if they checked out the drive shaft, rear diff, center support bearing, or transmission. They were pretty insistent that I replace the items they emailed me about before they look at anything else. I demanded they remove the drive shaft and have it checked to see if it was out of balance or anything else. They weren't happy but in the end they are doing what I want with my car.

I question why the left front outer tie rods would be bad so soon as I just replaced the drag link (correct me if I am wrong but the drag link comes with outer ties rods?). I am going to have my front tires replaced although not by the dealership as they want a RIDICULOUS amount for the tires as well as to mount and balance ($80 to mount and balance, I only get tires from Les Schwab they charge $30 to mount and balance). I am going to have the dealership do the alignment.

From the vibration the tech didn't think it could be the transmission or the rear diff which leaves only a couple items on the table as I have replaced many parts. The only things left would be drive shaft or torque convertor. From the research I have been doing it seems like it might be the drive shaft.

I found this on (flame suit on) a BMW forum:
"The usual symptom of a bad drive shaft is a pronounced vibration or banging from under the car when the drive train ls subjected to high torque loads. This will be a lot worse when briskly accelerating in 1st & 2nd and will lessen or disappear as the speed increases and you back off the throttle to maintain speed. The rubber mount of the center support bearing is usually destroyed by the vibrating drive shaft, which in turn is caused be binding of the drive shaft u-joints."

This pretty much describes my symptoms and would explain why my center support bearing was shot when I bought the car.

They said they wouldn't have the drive shaft back until Tuesday or Wednesday of next week so I will post an update then.

WISH ME LUCK!!!!
Old 06-29-2012, 10:15 PM

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts
wishing luck bro!
Old 07-06-2012, 05:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

UPDATE:

It seems we may be nearing the end of this saga. I just received a call from the dealership and the drive line is out of balance. I am waiting for a call back to see if they have another one in stock

I am SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO hoping this is the cause.

More to come...
Old 07-06-2012, 06:28 PM
Banned

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts
how the hell can it be out of balans?
giving you good vibrations, I mean bad vibrations?

it's original from MB.
Old 07-07-2012, 01:43 AM

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts
i hope this thing gets sorted for you!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Vibration in engine at take off