C36 AMG, C43 AMG (W202) 1995 - 2000

Beat the 335I by a nose

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 03:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 256 Likes on 216 Posts
12' W204 C63 AMG coupe "T-Rex", 12' W451 Smart Fortwo Pulse (99' W202 C43 AMG sold)
Hmmmm, this thread is starting to get and out of hand
Old 07-15-2010, 04:08 AM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
Originally Posted by PJmak
Thats very creative ^^

The last AMG assembled by hand was the W210 E55. Just coz the car is built by amg, it doesn't mean its hand built by amg. Look it up before you start calling me names just coz you think you are right and I am wrong

Have you seen the c43 interior?? Compare that to your C32

No offense to c32 owners but it just isnt in the same league
just FIY, C43 and W210 E55 like all other are built on a assembly line in the AMG factory just like their replacement the C32/55, 211 E55, and all other AMGs. and EVERY SINGLE AMG engine has always been hand-built by a single technician.

the last small quantity hand-built AMGs was W124, by the time the C36 came along they were all built on the assembly line with the chassi already provided by Mercedes and the rest of the AMG parts goes onto the car at AMG.

do you know what "hand-built" means? The NSX was hand-built, the SLR is hand-built, the Veyron is hand-built, the Noble M600 is hand-built, the Zonda, etc...i can go on. They are built on a roller and pushed by hand to each station and parts are installed by hand with the same assistance from machine arms lifting heavy parts as if there's a assembly line.

please no more misinformed post from you PJ...and watch this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRVHF89x-gA

and what about the C32 interior? double-stitched two-tone napa leather AMG seats with embossed AMG letter, napa leather door insert, full napa leather steering wheel including the back of the steering wheel, napa leather shifter with C32 logo on the shifter, AMG trimed gauge cluster, ... all the same thing you find in the C36/43 except in newer shape and form.

Last edited by FrankW; 07-15-2010 at 04:47 AM.
Old 07-15-2010, 04:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

03 g35 coupe...........02 c32 Sold
yeah thats true, even corvette engines are hand built. GM announced, if you pay around $5800 more for your corvette, you can go to the gm factory and hand build the engine yourself.

They get free labor and $5800..

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/07/12/c...engines-for-a/
Old 07-15-2010, 11:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts
1999 C43, 2008 P30 E63, 2014 SQ5, 2024 Model Y Performance
Originally Posted by FrankW
just FIY, C43 and W210 E55 like all other are built on a assembly line in the AMG factory just like their replacement the C32/55, 211 E55, and all other AMGs. and EVERY SINGLE AMG engine has always been hand-built by a single technician.

the last small quantity hand-built AMGs was W124, by the time the C36 came along they were all built on the assembly line with the chassi already provided by Mercedes and the rest of the AMG parts goes onto the car at AMG.

do you know what "hand-built" means? The NSX was hand-built, the SLR is hand-built, the Veyron is hand-built, the Noble M600 is hand-built, the Zonda, etc...i can go on. They are built on a roller and pushed by hand to each station and parts are installed by hand with the same assistance from machine arms lifting heavy parts as if there's a assembly line.

please no more misinformed post from you PJ...and watch this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRVHF89x-gA

and what about the C32 interior? double-stitched two-tone napa leather AMG seats with embossed AMG letter, napa leather door insert, full napa leather steering wheel including the back of the steering wheel, napa leather shifter with C32 logo on the shifter, AMG trimed gauge cluster, ... all the same thing you find in the C36/43 except in newer shape and form.
GREAT VIDEO!!!! I NEED A CL 65 AMG SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO BAD.... Too bad there is only 40 of them in the world. Imagine a C43 with the aluminum paint job.......
Old 07-15-2010, 11:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
95' AMG SeeThreeSix
Regarding Mercedes quality, history, and cool factor, nothing touches a 500E.

................Good kill! Video next time?
Old 07-15-2010, 11:54 AM

Received 70 Likes on 54 Posts
W210 DRFT BNZ
Originally Posted by appatula
................Good kill! Video next time?
qft.

Especially on your 4000+ lbs car. owait...
Old 07-15-2010, 12:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts
98 C43, 15 Alfa 4C LE, 18 Tesla Model 3 DM Perf, 08 Duc S1000, 02 Duc 998, 98 Duc 748, 01 Miata
Sorry gents, but the C43 just isn't that fast, even for a 300 hp car. I certainly enjoy mine, but I also understand what it is and what it isn't. I know that it is not faster than a 335i given equal drivers. Facts are facts, there is no point in really arguing them.

However, I don't doubt that the OP outran a 335i, there are a lot of factors that we don't know and can't account for. Good job on the kill.
Old 07-15-2010, 10:09 PM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter
Originally Posted by ECTurboGSX
Sorry gents, but the C43 just isn't that fast, even for a 300 hp car. I certainly enjoy mine, but I also understand what it is and what it isn't. I know that it is not faster than a 335i given equal drivers. Facts are facts, there is no point in really arguing them.

However, I don't doubt that the OP outran a 335i, there are a lot of factors that we don't know and can't account for. Good job on the kill.
I think that's what everyone said except PJ...lol
Old 07-15-2010, 10:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 378 Likes on 283 Posts
05 c55 silver, 98 Imperial Red C43

Exactly, things like gearing, weight, turbo lag and what not and there were two races reported here and in both the C43 won

Like I said 335 is obviously faster of the line but you haven't raced a 335 so how would you actually know your car is slower from a roll? I never argued the c43 is faster of the line. Like I said many cars are faster then the c43 of the line but from a roll its a totally different story and I gave u an example of a c43 beating a low 13 second evo IX from a roll

You guys go by manufacturer stats when obviously even they don't know how much power their cars actually make lol

The fact is...........again C43 VS 335 and the score so far is 2-0. The stats you find online mean nothing
Old 07-16-2010, 07:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts
98 C43, 15 Alfa 4C LE, 18 Tesla Model 3 DM Perf, 08 Duc S1000, 02 Duc 998, 98 Duc 748, 01 Miata
I'm sure no one comes on here and posts "I raced a 335i last night and got my *** handed to me." They come on and post when they win. I have a friend in NC with a 335i, so next time I have the Benz up there, I'll have to see if we can get an idea of who is quicker.
Old 07-16-2010, 10:33 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
benzo larenzo
popcorn =D
Old 07-16-2010, 11:08 AM

SLK280(Gone), C63, CLK550
I'm sure no one comes on here and posts "I raced a 335i last night and got my *** handed to me." They come on and post when they win. I have a friend in NC with a 335i, so next time I have the Benz up there, I'll have to see if we can get an idea of who is quicker.
I'll be the first. I raced a 335i last week in the C63, from a dig I won. But from a roll got my *** handed to me (wrong gear perhaps? ). Those things are fast!
Old 07-16-2010, 12:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
C55
Its not hard to see when the other car you are racing is going for it or not. Especially if they are similar in power, its not like the 335 would blow the doors of the c43 "if it was trying"

I could care less what the stats say and stats don't mean nothing when it comes to hand assembled AMGs, oh sorry your c32 wasn't hand assembled that's right

oh my god dude. Just give it up. Every single one of your posts you try to make it look like the c43 is the best car ever made. Be proud of driving a fine AMG vehicle but don't shame the rest of your breathren by making it seem like its a mythical two headed unicorn that *****s gold and cures aids. How many cars have you driven? How many turbos have you put together? You don't even know the difference between crank and rear wheel horsepower when all of us have repeatedly tried to hammer in the fact that those are two different numbers. Even when I was 16 I knew the difference when I was working on hondas. I tried to spare you your dignity but you ended up getting pwned by fellow AMG drivers...defending a B M W. How sad is that?

If you didnt read earlier, I said, yes, he could have won. He could have had the jump on the 335i (which is a huge factor in hwy racing), and the 335i could have had a fat passenger weighing him down.

But you decided to bring on the full-retard by saying the 335i is slow and that is has turbo lag when CLEARLY you have never driven one nor do you know anything about how turbos work. Apparently though the only motoring information you know is how much "hp its rated at".

AND THEN you try to insult the c32 owners by saying that their isn't as good because its interior isn't as good as a car thats older than it and that its not made by hand? Do you have some special factory option that lined your roof liner with suede made from baby seals and buttons carved from rhino ivory? I highly doubt it.

You're about the bring upon yourself the WRATH that is the mbworld.org community for being a complete tool but you can save yourself if you admit that

a) a stock 335i is faster than a stock c43 from a dig and a roll
b) you don't know much about cars
c) apologize to your c43 brothers for being a bad example and apologize to the c32 owners for trying to say their car is crappier than yours.

Last edited by RLx02; 07-16-2010 at 12:16 PM.
Old 07-16-2010, 12:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C55
The stats you find online mean nothing
lol those things are called facts.
Old 07-16-2010, 12:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C55
Originally Posted by dumpsta
I'll be the first. I raced a 335i last week in the C63, from a dig I won. But from a roll got my *** handed to me (wrong gear perhaps? ). Those things are fast!
According to PJmak, the turbo lag on 335's are so bad that a c43 should easily beat a 335i. So maybe your c63 is slow...and has a worse interior than a c43 because its not hand built
Old 07-16-2010, 12:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by RLx02

oh my god dude. Just give it up. Every single one of your posts you try to make it look like the c43 is the best car ever made. Be proud of driving a fine AMG vehicle but don't shame the rest of your breathren by making it seem like its a mythical two headed unicorn that *****s gold and cures aids. How many cars have you driven? How many turbos have you put together? You don't even know the difference between crank and rear wheel horsepower when all of us have repeatedly tried to hammer in the fact that those are two different numbers. Even when I was 16 I knew the difference when I was working on hondas. I tried to spare you your dignity but you ended up getting pwned by fellow AMG drivers...defending a B M W. How sad is that?

If you didnt read earlier, I said, yes, he could have won. He could have had the jump on the 335i (which is a huge factor in hwy racing), and the 335i could have had a fat passenger weighing him down.

But you decided to bring on the full-retard by saying the 335i is slow and that is has turbo lag when CLEARLY you have never driven one nor do you know anything about how turbos work. Apparently though the only motoring information you know is how much "hp its rated at".

AND THEN you try to insult the c32 owners by saying that their isn't as good because its interior isn't as good as a car thats older than it and that its not made by hand? Do you have some special factory option that lined your roof liner with suede made from baby seals and buttons carved from rhino ivory? I highly doubt it.

You're about the bring upon yourself the WRATH that is the mbworld.org community for being a complete tool but you can save yourself if you admit that

c) apologize to your c43 brothers for being a bad example and apologize to the c32 owners for trying to say their car is crappier than yours.

The unicorn, baby seal roof liner, and the rhino buttons ARE CLASSIC!!!!!
Old 07-16-2010, 07:54 PM

C63
3. There is little to NO LAG with the bi-turbo setup the BMW is running on the 335. 3-cylinder per small turbo is very quick to boost.
I don't think so. My buddy drove a 335, and I could put my foot down in that thing and I'm waiting for the car to get moving. This is a 6MT, I'm at speed in the proper gear, and I expect the car to GO. It doesn't, really. It's not an eternity, but you are waiting.

Lot of great things about the 3 but even with this gen of turbos reduced lag, that doesn't mean it's eliminated. And dealing with tradeoffs like this is no fun:
To quote our logbook after the turbocharged 335i's run, "Launching is a bog or boil affair. Too much throttle and the tires will spin wildly in 1st gear; too little and it will leave slowly, off boost."
"Off boost"...no thanks. Give me lot more performance than 5 flat to 60 if I'm going to deal with that. (No reason to trust "4.8s" with those early testers BMW was passing around.) Now give me a 997 Turbo S and I'll deal with the lag

You may go back to attacking each other now
Old 07-16-2010, 08:09 PM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter
Originally Posted by Questions
I don't think so. My buddy drove a 335, and I could put my foot down in that thing and I'm waiting for the car to get moving. This is a 6MT, I'm at speed in the proper gear, and I expect the car to GO. It doesn't, really. It's not an eternity, but you are waiting.

Lot of great things about the 3 but even with this gen of turbos reduced lag, that doesn't mean it's eliminated. And dealing with tradeoffs like this is no fun:
"Off boost"...no thanks. Give me lot more performance than 5 flat to 60 if I'm going to deal with that. (No reason to trust "4.8s" with those early testers BMW was passing around.) Now give me a 997 Turbo S and I'll deal with the lag

You may go back to attacking each other now
i already said there's "little to no lag" (just notice I didn't CAP "little to" doesn't mean it is literary no lag. however when one wants to exaggerate the "lag" they can come up with the things you said. don't forget BMW also had a re-flash on the 335 that made it lag more than before you re-flash it. a lot of 335 owner was complaining abou this. this isn't the VAG 1.8T or the 2.0T where turbo lags are very apparent.
Old 07-16-2010, 08:36 PM

C63
i already said there's "little to no lag" (just notice I didn't CAP "little to" doesn't mean it is literary no lag.
So say what you mean! There is lag, but it isn't terrible (if that's what you think). Why are you hedging? Why is there "little to no lag" when we all know there is? What's the 'no' part doing for you...?

Just say it's there is but you're happy to live with it! Done!

Seriously, have fun debating guys.
Old 07-16-2010, 08:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by RLx02

First things first, if you are gona have this conversation with me, please talk to me like an adult

I never said my car is a god among other cars. Thats just you not understanding the conversation here. Im fully aware my car is not faster then many cars out there

a) I got a question for you. Have you raced a 335 with a c43??? If no please don't tell me the 335 is faster, at least not from a roll. There are two races posted here and both are in favor of the C43, that's all Im saying. You coming in here and telling me the opposite makes you look like you are praising the 335. Would be a pretty big coincidence that both of those 335 drivers didn't know how to floor their car(lol)

b) I dont know much about cars, true that but most turbocharged cars have turbo lag. Thats all Im saying...I raced a 996 911 turbo from a roll and it took him a few seconds to start pulling on me coz the turbo lagged bad.

c) I don't need to apologize to my friends here on the forum, I stand up for my car when I know I am being right and they should thank me for that. I back of when I know I am wrong. Perfect example here, I admitted the 335 is faster of the line but I still think the c43 can take on it from a roll. Probably not by much but I still think it could and there is no reason for you to come in and start calling me names when you have zero experience driving neither of the two cars

Im starting to think the only reason you are going of on me is coz I insulted your little C32?

Have you been in a C43 ever?? Im sorry but sitting in a c32 after getting out of my car is just totally different. I even had a few of my friends refer to the C32 as a "plastic car" The quality just isn't there, not even when compared to non amg W202s. I don't need to apologize to anyone, ask mercedes benz to apologize to you for selling you what has potential to be the worst AMG ever built so far
Old 07-16-2010, 08:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

So say what you mean! There is lag, but it isn't terrible (if that's what you think). Why are you hedging? Why is there "little to no lag" when we all know there is? What's the 'no' part doing for you...?

Dont bother dude, you are arguing with experts here. They have all driven all these cars and they all know everything. You will never win

And if there is even little lag thats sill enough coz the 335 doesnt have much more power on me. Ill get the jump every time we race and it wont catch up coz its turbo lagged just for a second and it doesnt have extra power\torque to make up for it and im sure the gearing isnt much better

Last edited by PJmak; 07-16-2010 at 08:46 PM.
Old 07-17-2010, 01:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

We should just give it up guys..... Obviously there are 2 different schools of thought here. The ones that believe the C43 can beat a 335I off a roll in and the ones that don't. Who would of imagined the little post I did would start a thread like this with 1300+ views . All I wanted to do was post what actually happened and have a little brag session . I think it's fair to say the C43 is a speedy little car as well as the 335I. I am willing to bet that the 335I is a faster car if you put a professional driver by himself behind the wheel seeing how I BARELY nosed him out, him having a chunky passenger and me by myself. That being said it's not THAT much faster off a roll in, off a dead stop I'm sure it is. Now as entertaining as this thread has been let kiss and make up
Old 07-17-2010, 02:26 AM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter

i stand by what i said. there are virtually no lag when you are in the right gear and right rev range. of course, i can't speak for how you drove/experience your friend's car. if you start it off line or come out of a corner when the rpm dips then yes there are lags, but not the lags you can't live with as you said.
Old 07-17-2010, 08:11 AM

1995 C 36 AMG; 1992 W124 300E (M103 Ex Mosselman TT KIT) was 320hp @10psi now stock :(
I know for a fact from a friend of min who has a 335 coupe auto that he was impressed when he drove my mechanic's C43amg, he said that on an uphil pull the 335 is faster due to its 295lbft from 1300-5000RPM.
But he also said on highway ppull he was sure the C43 is not slower and maybe dead on with his car.

BTW i hit 260+km/h last night driving from one country to another at 12 am. and i felt the 36 still pulling but i called quits. so those cars have the top speed easy. Its either my car is chipped / reflashed as its rumered, or the old AMGs dont have speed limitters.
Old 07-17-2010, 11:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C55
First things first, if you are gona have this conversation with me, please talk to me like an adult
If you didn't act so childish in refusal of knowledge, I would speak to you as an adult. But the way you continue to refuse to believe that santa clause is not real and refuse to acknowledge the facts here makes me speak to you like a child.

a) I got a question for you. Have you raced a 335 with a c43??? If no please don't tell me the 335 is faster, at least not from a roll. There are two races posted here and both are in favor of the C43, that's all Im saying. You coming in here and telling me the opposite makes you look like you are praising the 335.
I haven't raced a 335 with a c43 but I have raced a 335 with my c55 that has 410hp at the crank. Thats 110hp more than your c43. If you read my original posts I have raced a 335i from a roll several times. The 335i has a better transmission than your car and my car and is similar weight to mine. I was dead even with the 335i until about 90 when i slowly pulled away from it. So you're saying that, from a roll, the 335i should be slower, than a car with 110 less horsepower than mine? What do you run in the quarter mile? Last I checked the c43 runs high 14's stock. A stock 335i runs mid 13's stock and my car is running high 12's now.

b) I dont know much about cars, true that but most turbocharged cars have turbo lag. Thats all Im saying...I raced a 996 911 turbo from a roll and it took him a few seconds to start pulling on me coz the turbo lagged bad.
Thank you for saying you don't know much about cars. However, what year was that 996 that you raced? What year did the 335i's start coming out? 07? Technology has improved significantly since and the 335i's have very little turbo lag. Did you know that the 335i is a twin turbo?

c) I don't need to apologize to my friends here on the forum, I stand up for my car when I know I am being right and they should thank me for that. I back of when I know I am wrong. Perfect example here, I admitted the 335 is faster of the line but I still think the c43 can take on it from a roll. Probably not by much but I still think it could and there is no reason for you to come in and start calling me names when you have zero experience driving neither of the two cars
I know you don't like to accept such things like facts, but now I guess you don't read full sentences either. Let me reiterate for you that I HAVE DRIVEN AN E92 335i MANY TIMES. A very good friend of mine has one and we drive each other's cars often. Sometimes his car even feels faster than mine and his is stock aside from his wheels. I don't need to drive a c43 to know that a car with much less horsepower and even less torque is slower than a 335i.

Im starting to think the only reason you are going of on me is coz I insulted your little C32?
Wow you are really dense. I don't even have a c32. Even if I had a c32 why would it be "little?" I asked you before, do you have some special interior that the c32 does not? So if the w203 c32 is a "plastic" car that must mean you don't have a vinyl dash or primarily vinyl doors and that you have more luxury features including that baby seal roof liner.

Originally Posted by TemjinX2
from a roll, the power difference would be more obvious since you don't have to worry about launching or traction like you on a 1/4 mile.

The c43 isn't light enough to negate the difference in hp of the 335i. Your logic doesn't make sense.

I gave props to the op since it was a street race, anything can happen.

The guy could've been a manual and couldn't shift or he bought the 335i without the optional oil cooler and the car went into limp mode from over heating.

Maybe he got naked text from megan fox and stopped to look at that. I don't know, I would say it's human error that caused him to lose the race. But a kills a kill.

Like i said on paper, the c43 would lose whether its a dig or from a roll.
You need to read this, let it soak into your mind and understand that this is the truth. Once you understand this, and lose your c43 > c32/c55 mentality I will respect you as a person.

Last edited by RLx02; 07-18-2010 at 12:00 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Beat the 335I by a nose