A little bit of super car eye candy, OK.... ALOT of eye candy

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 03:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 380 Likes on 283 Posts
05 c55 silver, 98 Imperial Red C43
Originally Posted by siideways
So I found a beautiful 98 C43 w/ only 43K(!) miles on her. 1 owner car, all gaskets recently replaced, tranny flushed, no accidents, but a few very subtle dings on all 4 doors. Also, clean CarFax, but it's missing a couple interior pieces, such as the shifter Benz logo cap and the mirror control knob. I think they're asking a bit too much money at $10,900, but the owner seems flexible. So I think I'm going to make a cash offer for $8K, or is that too much? What do you guys think?
Asking too much???

Dude I think you are looking to buy a wrong car. 10k for a c43 with 45k on it is not too much even if its got a few dings and what not. I paid 10k for mine with 90k on it just a year ago and im not planing to sell it for any less when the time comes, if the time comes.

Ive been looking at these deals for a few years now, if that car is mechanically good to go, trust me you wont get a better deal for 10k. If that was my car id price it at at least 12k

Last edited by PJmak; 09-14-2010 at 03:49 PM.
Old 09-14-2010, 05:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts
1999 C43, 2008 P30 E63, 2014 SQ5, 2024 Model Y Performance
Originally Posted by PJmak
Asking too much???

Dude I think you are looking to buy a wrong car. 10k for a c43 with 45k on it is not too much even if its got a few dings and what not. I paid 10k for mine with 90k on it just a year ago and im not planing to sell it for any less when the time comes, if the time comes.

Ive been looking at these deals for a few years now, if that car is mechanically good to go, trust me you wont get a better deal for 10k. If that was my car id price it at at least 12k
Agreed $10k for a C43 with 45k on the dial... sign me up please You can get the dings removed by a paintless dent removal pro as long as they are small and you can buy the mirror switch on ebay for like $80-$100. If the car has 45k on it you could literally own this car for 10-15 years with the right servicing maybe even longer, granted you may need to change the tranny around 100k or so. Either way if you are truly in the market for a C43 then you should hop in this deal and join the club
Old 09-14-2010, 05:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by DRBC43AMG
What surprises me is to hear that several interior pieces are missing... How is that possible in a car which has only been driven supposedly only 43k miles?? Something is wrong, or else the previous owner didn't give a s**t and drove the car with no respect. I would look over the car very very carefully or get a pro to do so
it is odd that there would be any interior pieces missing on a low mileage car but I guess anything is possible..... Either way if you are going to buy it (I would) get a pre purchase inspection done, I did before I bought mine and not only did it give me piece of mind but it also let me fully know what I was getting into. The maintenance on the C43 isn't bad except for a few parts which are RIDICULOUS but over all barring the expensive parts going bad I can honestly say that it cost less to service my C43 than it does to service my '99 Accord.
Old 09-17-2010, 08:28 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
22 X3, 21 330e, 97 M3, 97 C36 (sold), but on the hunt for a clean, low-mile C43!
OK, so here's the latest after battling it out for 45 minutes with the seller. But first, let me list out all the issues with the car:
  1. couple very small rust spots on the hood (looks like the paint had chipped and was not addressed until after being exposed to salt water rain and then was treated to a dabbing of clear coat), not sure how serious this is
  2. rear main seal leaking oil slightly
  3. driver's outside mirror not functioning (neither the adjustment control nor the ECM dimming feature)
  4. shifter Mercedes logo cap missing along with mirror control knob
  5. subtle dings on all 4 doors
Other than these items, the vehicle has undergone quite a bit of maintenance and re-conditioning, from replacement of all suspension bushings, control arms, A/C compressor, leather re-dye of both front seats, etc. etc. Also, the front and rear bumpers have been re-sprayed due to excessive scratches.

So, having said all that, the best price I've gotten the seller to agree to is $9K. Based on the issues listed above, should I grind him some more or should I pass on the vehicle altogether due to the hood rust spots?
Old 09-17-2010, 08:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by siideways
OK, so here's the latest after battling it out for 45 minutes with the seller. But first, let me list out all the issues with the car:
  1. couple very small rust spots on the hood (looks like the paint had chipped and was not addressed until after being exposed to salt water rain and then was treated to a dabbing of clear coat), not sure how serious this is
  2. rear main seal leaking oil slightly
  3. driver's outside mirror not functioning (neither the adjustment control nor the ECM dimming feature)
  4. shifter Mercedes logo cap missing along with mirror control knob
  5. subtle dings on all 4 doors
Other than these items, the vehicle has undergone quite a bit of maintenance and re-conditioning, from replacement of all suspension bushings, control arms, A/C compressor, leather re-dye of both front seats, etc. etc. Also, the front and rear bumpers have been re-sprayed due to excessive scratches.

So, having said all that, the best price I've gotten the seller to agree to is $9K. Based on the issues listed above, should I grind him some more or should I pass on the vehicle altogether due to the hood rust spots?
looks like your biggest (and most likely most expensive) issue is the rear main seal. I am not sure if the drivers side mirror has a dimming feature, I believe this is only for the rear view mirror but for a new drivers mirror it is like $300-$400. As far as the rust spots it all depends how bad they are either way you can DEFINITELY talk him down more. What I would do is get a quote for how much everything is going to cost to fix and use that as leverage, I wouldn't pay more than $7,500. Bring the price quote to fix everything and $7,500 cash to wave in his face and I bet you walk with keys + title in hand.....
Old 09-18-2010, 02:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 380 Likes on 283 Posts
05 c55 silver, 98 Imperial Red C43
My car with 125k was recently valued at over 10k by my insurance, and mine is not an example of a clean c43 that has been taken care of. I drive my car every day, I dont care.

Good luck with the purchase 9k is already a good deal, take it and enjoy it. If you can get it for less thats even better but if I was him, honestly I wouldn't even consider you as a buyer unless you were ready to pay at least 10k for my car

And if you are gona pass on the vehicle due to hood rust spots, be ready to pay up some more for your next car. The rest of the parts you need u can get at a local pick and pull(if you really want to) or from someone parting out for less then 100 bucks. My friend bought a crashed c43 and he scored the following for 380 bucks:

-whole dash, including the cluster and the airbag
-rear left door panel
-steering wheel airbag
-lower control arm for the front left side

One and only thing you need to be worried about in these cars is the tranny and if thats good, you are good to go. Motor is bulletproof and interior pieces or w\e can be purchased for really cheap if you know where to look.

Last edited by PJmak; 09-18-2010 at 02:44 AM.