C36 AMG, C43 AMG (W202) 1995 - 2000

Burnt oil smell

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-06-2010 | 03:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

12' W204 C63 AMG coupe "T-Rex", 12' W451 Smart Fortwo Pulse (99' W202 C43 AMG sold)
Burnt oil smell

Hi everyone! I have a slight burnt oil smell from time to time. Engine doesn't burn a drop of oil and the oil level on the dip stick doesn't budge at all and NO drops of oil on the floor at any time.
I must admit I havn't looked closely under the hood. Before getting down to that later, thought that someone may have some ideas to point the way. In any cas, I will soon be pulling the filter assembly out so as I can get to do the plugs and ignition cables. Just purchased a full set of hand assembled Magnecor KV85 V5 8.5mm cables which should go well with a set of iridiums
Old 10-06-2010 | 04:56 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by DRBC43AMG
Hi everyone! I have a slight burnt oil smell from time to time. Engine doesn't burn a drop of oil and the oil level on the dip stick doesn't budge at all and NO drops of oil on the floor at any time.
I must admit I havn't looked closely under the hood. Before getting down to that later, thought that someone may have some ideas to point the way. In any cas, I will soon be pulling the filter assembly out so as I can get to do the plugs and ignition cables. Just purchased a full set of hand assembled Magnecor KV85 V5 8.5mm cables which should go well with a set of iridiums
did you check around your upper camshaft covers?
someguy with a c43 estate had to change his gaskets because of a massive oil leak from these.
his car had covered about 200,000km or more and the gaskets had sprung a leak.
if you sense some burnt oil, maybe you got some leak drippin' on your headers and cookin' the oil.
maybe a not so nice aftershave scent for you after a hard days of driving with your C fou3
Old 10-06-2010 | 05:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

12' W204 C63 AMG coupe "T-Rex", 12' W451 Smart Fortwo Pulse (99' W202 C43 AMG sold)
Yes, well I guess I'll have to get into the engine bay with a good light to check around.
Old 10-06-2010 | 08:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1999 C43, 2008 P30 E63, 2014 SQ5, 2024 Model Y Performance
I just had the same issue.... Turned out my valve cover needed to be resealed. The amount of oil it was leaking was so minimal you couldn't tell when you checked the oil using the dip stick but you could smell burnt oil. I finally noticed a couple of drops on my engine by the valve cover which to me was odd as I had just changed the valve cover gasket a couple months ago. Opened her up and saw the gasket was still good but needed to be resealed (right this time). Did it about 2 weeks ago and BOOOOOM no more burnt oil smell.
Old 10-06-2010 | 08:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Great and ! I will defo check those areas very carefully
Old 10-09-2010 | 10:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

This afternoon I pulled up the hood to full extension and peeped around the engine bay with a BIG flashlight.... and right you all I see some oil moisture around the bottom of the driver's side valve cover at the front just below the oil cap. I can also see some oil mist crud on some of the spark plug caps. Soooo, no excuse now to get a spare gasket, some spark plugs (have also new Magnecor KV85 wires to install also) and get around to do some work on the engine Also, winter is approaching slowly but surely, so the C43 will be soon put to bed in a couple of weeks. No driving for me in winter with it except if temp is warn and no salt on the roads However, I don't know if I will be able to resist and keep still till next spring
Old 10-09-2010 | 03:17 PM
Banned

This afternoon I pulled up the hood to full extension and peeped around the engine bay with a BIG flashlight.... and right you all I see some oil moisture around the bottom of the driver's side valve cover at the front just below the oil cap. I can also see some oil mist crud on some of the spark plug caps. Soooo, no excuse now to get a spare gasket, some spark plugs (have also new Magnecor KV85 wires to install also) and get around to do some work on the engine Also, winter is approaching slowly but surely, so the C43 will be soon put to bed in a couple of weeks. No driving for me in winter with it except if temp is warn and no salt on the roads However, I don't know if I will be able to resist and keep still till next spring
Swizzyland: where did you get dose Magnecor KV85 wires?
did you buy them from USA?
Are they better than MB oem wires?
Preis?
Old 10-10-2010 | 04:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Hi SS (snowy sweedy). Ordered and got them direct from the UK:
http://www.magnecor.co.uk/
Cost me £206.74 including shipping. Paid on top of that for the local taxes and ripoff costs CHF 44.15. So all inclusive Credit card currency conversion and local costs it was CHF 378.55
They are hand made and with different lengths so the cables fit perfectly so they say
Old 10-10-2010 | 05:28 AM
Banned

Hi SS (snowy sweedy). Ordered and got them direct from the UK:
http://www.magnecor.co.uk/
Cost me £206.74 including shipping. Paid on top of that for the local taxes and ripoff costs CHF 44.15. So all inclusive Credit card currency conversion and local costs it was CHF 378.55
They are hand made and with different lengths so the cables fit perfectly so they say
are your Magnecore sparkplugwirehats made out of metal or are they rubberish?
OEM tophats are made from metal.

I don't know but do these MB tophats rust and gets corroded on the sparkplugs?
Making them difficult to remove when servicing the car?
Maybe rubber tophats are better?
I know Volvo used to have these on their older cars, how it is on newer cars?

On the other hand maybe metaltophats on sparkplugwires are to be preffered because of the massive heat from our V8's?
Maybe rubberhats going to melt?

Is Magnacore known for their quality?
Are they superior and the best?

What's going on with your adjustable camber arms?
Any updates?

Last edited by KJI3jflarryfe93; 10-10-2010 at 05:31 AM.
Old 10-10-2010 | 05:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The spark plug covers are rubber. Go read the Magnecor site. Plenty of information and guaranteed for 10 years. So that is a good sign of their quality product. The racing cables are designed for high temperature situations, so should not be a problem with our V8's
Old 10-10-2010 | 06:01 AM
Banned

The spark plug covers are rubber. Go read the Magnecor site. Plenty of information and guaranteed for 10 years. So that is a good sign of their quality product. The racing cables are designed for high temperature situations, so should not be a problem with our V8's
dat sounds gut!
might try these when I replace my wires.

what about your adjutable camber arms?
Old 10-10-2010 | 11:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C43/55,2k11 Volvo S60 T6AWD,2k Audi B5 S4,95 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD 500+awhp
Originally Posted by kowalski
dat sounds gut!

Adjustable rear camber arms r great

As far as the spark plug wires are concerned many have mentioned that the magnacor wires will make no difference over the stck or aftermarket stck wires. So it's probably not worth spending the $$. Go to Pelican parts or autohauz and order wires. You can google them and both of their websites come up. And NO the metal tops don't rust.

I've been smelling oil and found a tremendous leak on top of my passenger side valve cover. Need to chg asap.
Old 10-10-2010 | 12:31 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ProjectC55
Adjustable rear camber arms r great

As far as the spark plug wires are concerned many have mentioned that the magnacor wires will make no difference over the stck or aftermarket stck wires. So it's probably not worth spending the $$. Go to Pelican parts or autohauz and order wires. You can google them and both of their websites come up. And NO the metal tops don't rust.

I've been smelling oil and found a tremendous leak on top of my passenger side valve cover. Need to chg asap.
I guess we all should expect that gasket failiure on valvecovers in the future?

Does it only start leak when the car is a highmileage car?
Is it a cheap fix, to remove old gaskets and replace with new ones?
I mean does a mechanic need to strip the engine for several parts, filterhousing, sparkplugwires and other stuff to access the covers?

adjustable cambers are they still good after many hrs of hardcore speeding?
any signs of corrosion on those rods?
you were using Speedys stuff on your car?
Old 10-10-2010 | 02:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by kowalski
dat sounds gut!

Camber arms have not yet been installed. Will get that done when the car goes in for a service. According to the counter, that will probably be after winter if I dont use the car.... In any case , I have to get the emission test done by march 2011, so it has to go in the shop for that.

Last edited by DRBC43AMG; 10-10-2010 at 02:48 PM.