C36 AMG, C43 AMG (W202) 1995 - 2000

I got my hooptie!!~

Old 10-24-2010, 09:40 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
22 X3, 21 330e, 97 M3, 97 C36 (sold), but on the hunt for a clean, low-mile C43!
I got my hooptie!!~

So I bit the bullet and bought my first AMG! Just when I had all but given up on a clean local '97 C36 (and was about 99% set to get a C43 instead), lo n' behold, a beautiful specimen popped up the other day right down the street (literally, like 1.7 miles away)!! I called the seller immediately and arranged to meet that afternoon. I was so excited all day I could hardly concentrate at work, lol. I rushed over to see the car at the end of what was quite an unproductive day.

The car was as beautiful as in the ad photos! Aside from a few very minor dings here and there (almost unnoticeable, except for one on the passenger side c-pillar), the car was in excellent condition. The interior was immaculate, with very little visible wear on any of the seats! After a full comb-thru of the car, I confirmed that it was never in a wreck. I took her for a spin after a thorough inspection under the hood and under the car. She runs like a dream!

Anyway, as soon as we got back I started the wheeling n' dealing process. I must say, I think I stole this car. But hey, I suppose good things come to those who wait (as I've been searching now for well over 3 months!). Anyway, w/ the crappy weather we've been having lately, I haven't had a chance to give her a full detail, so sorry, no pics just yet. But, I do have a couple questions that I've noticed about the car:
  • Although I read the functionality of the W/S button in the owner's manual, I don't see the difference in the way the car drives? It seems that in either W or S, the car starts in 1st gear. What gives?
  • Regarding the foglights, I thought that pulling it out one detent while in the headlight on position it's supposed to turn on the bottom foglights? But instead, some additional bulb in the main headlamp housing turns on instead. And when I pull the knob out one more detent, the bottom foglights finally turn on, but so does the rear foglight! What the hell? How can I get the bottom foglights to turn on without the rear one turning on?
  • Regarding the headlamp washer/wiper, the owner's manual says that the only time I can actually activate them is when I have either the parking light or main headlights on while pushing in the wiper stock for a squirt and temporary wipe. Is this really correct? If so, that means I can't squirt/wipe my windshield when I have my headlights on?? That doesn't make any sense. Can someone please chime in?
  • Lastly, regarding the tranny, although it was recently flushed, and performs just about perfectly, I noticed today for the first time as I got on the fwy, that it wouldn't upshift to the highest gear/overdrive. It seemed to be stuck in 3rd gear (spinning like 4K RPM at 60 mph). So I called the previous owner to see if he could shed some light, and he was puzzled (of course), saying this had never happened to him. Anyway, he suggested I pull off the road and turn off/turn on the engine to "reset" the tranny? I went ahead and tried this, and it worked! The tranny upshifted properly afterwards, bringing down my RPMs to about 2500 at 60 mph. What could this be? Hopefully nothing major? a bad solenoid maybe?
Thanks for any feedback! So far, I love this car!!

Last edited by siideways; 10-24-2010 at 09:43 PM.
Old 10-24-2010, 09:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
2014 C63 Sedan
Originally Posted by siideways
So I bit the bullet and bought my first AMG! Just when I had all but given up on a clean local '97 C36 (and was about 99% set to get a C43 instead), lo n' behold, a beautiful specimen popped up the other day right down the street (literally, like 1.7 miles away)!! I called the seller immediately and arranged to meet that afternoon. I was so excited all day I could hardly concentrate at work, lol. I rushed over to see the car at the end of what was quite an unproductive day.

The car was as beautiful as in the ad photos! Aside from a few very minor dings here and there (almost unnoticeable, except for one on the passenger side c-pillar), the car was in excellent condition. The interior was immaculate, with very little visible wear on any of the seats! After a full comb-thru of the car, I confirmed that it was never in a wreck. I took her for a spin after a thorough inspection under the hood and under the car. She runs like a dream!

Anyway, as soon as we got back I started the wheeling n' dealing process. I must say, I think I stole this car. But hey, I suppose good things come to those who wait (as I've been searching now for well over 3 months!). Anyway, w/ the crappy weather we've been having lately, I haven't had a chance to give her a full detail, so sorry, no pics just yet. But, I do have a couple questions that I've noticed about the car:
  • Although I read the functionality of the W/S button in the owner's manual, I don't see the difference in the way the car drives? It seems that in either W or S, the car starts in 1st gear. What gives?
  • Regarding the foglights, I thought that pulling it out one detent while in the headlight on position it's supposed to turn on the bottom foglights? But instead, some additional bulb in the main headlamp housing turns on instead. And when I pull the knob out one more detent, the bottom foglights finally turn on, but so does the rear foglight! What the hell? How can I get the bottom foglights to turn on without the rear one turning on?
  • Regarding the headlamp washer/wiper, the owner's manual says that the only time I can actually activate them is when I have either the parking light or main headlights on while pushing in the wiper stock for a squirt and temporary wipe. Is this really correct? If so, that means I can't squirt/wipe my windshield when I have my headlights on?? That doesn't make any sense. Can someone please chime in?
  • Lastly, regarding the tranny, although it was recently flushed, and performs just about perfectly, I noticed today for the first time as I got on the fwy, that it wouldn't upshift to the highest gear/overdrive. It seemed to be stuck in 3rd gear (spinning like 4K RPM at 60 mph). So I called the previous owner to see if he could shed some light, and he was puzzled (of course), saying this had never happened to him. Anyway, he suggested I pull off the road and turn off/turn on the engine to "reset" the tranny? I went ahead and tried this, and it worked! The tranny upshifted properly afterwards, bringing down my RPMs to about 2500 at 60 mph. What could this be? Hopefully nothing major? a bad solenoid maybe?
W mode should start on 2nd gear and shift at lower RPM's, and the foglights you are pulling it to far and thats why the rear fog turns on, pull it just once not all way, and the gear box my car did that couple of times and i took it in and my mechanic told me it was some kind of electronic plate which he had to replace and my gear box was under warranty so i didnt have to pay for it
Old 10-25-2010, 02:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 371 Likes on 279 Posts
05 c55 silver, 98 Imperial Red C43
So you got a c36??

What year and color?? Also post pics asap

congratz btw

Some insspiration

Old 10-25-2010, 02:19 PM

22 X3, 21 330e, 97 M3, 97 C36 (sold), but on the hunt for a clean, low-mile C43!
^^WOW! Now that's one sharp ride! I can only hope mine will look anything like that.

I picked up a silver on black '97 C36, and I've definitely got some things planned for her, hehe. I'll get pics up soon!! Just gotta wait for this crappy weather to clear!
Old 10-25-2010, 02:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 251 Likes on 212 Posts
12' W204 C63 AMG coupe "T-Rex", 12' W451 Smart Fortwo Pulse (99' W202 C43 AMG sold)
Congratulations for having decided to jump on the wagon! I'm sure you will enjoy it and hope you don't shed too many tears!
Old 10-25-2010, 02:52 PM

Thanks!

Now can anyone answer my questions regarding foglights and headlamp washers???
Old 10-25-2010, 03:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
2005 CLK320 Vert & 2005 CLK55 AMG
Thanks!

stff!!!

jk
Congrats, its about time man!!!
Old 10-25-2010, 03:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

who cares if its dirty, post some pics asap!!
Old 10-25-2010, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by ROLLNNN
who cares if its dirty, post some pics asap!!
I don't think 203s are alllowed in here, unless they're supercharged.~
Old 10-25-2010, 05:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes S550
congratulations
Old 10-25-2010, 05:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I don't think 203s are alllowed in here, unless they're supercharged.~

well then lucky for me i have the m271!! = i4 kompressor = supercharged = but still slow as F***
Old 10-25-2010, 06:08 PM

Thanks!

Anyone??
Old 10-25-2010, 06:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
2014 C63 Sedan
Anyone??
i have disabled mine but they should go off everytime you have the headlights n andyou spray water on your windshield
Old 10-26-2010, 12:33 AM

1995 C36 AMG, 1998 C43 AMG
When your lights are turned on and you press the stalk in, it should wash both your windshield AND your headlights. If your lights aren't turned on and you press it, it is only your windshield and not your headlights. I'd have a buddy check these for you though while you do it, as I believe it is rare to find these headlight wipers still in completely functioning (squirting and wiping) order, or at last that's what I tell myself when mine don't work. :P

Concerning the fogs, if you pull it once, it turns on the foglights (extra bulbs on the inside corners of your headlights) and NOT the rear fog. If you pull a second time, it turns on the rear fog, turns off the headlight fogs, and turns on the AMG only apron fogs. Normal C-Class's didn't have the lower fogs, which is why that control for them kind of sucks.

Hope this helps
Old 10-26-2010, 05:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 251 Likes on 212 Posts
12' W204 C63 AMG coupe "T-Rex", 12' W451 Smart Fortwo Pulse (99' W202 C43 AMG sold)
Originally Posted by nd4spd13
When your lights are turned on and you press the stalk in, it should wash both your windshield AND your headlights. If your lights aren't turned on and you press it, it is only your windshield and not your headlights. I'd have a buddy check these for you though while you do it, as I believe it is rare to find these headlight wipers still in completely functioning (squirting and wiping) order, or at last that's what I tell myself when mine don't work. :P

Concerning the fogs, if you pull it once, it turns on the foglights (extra bulbs on the inside corners of your headlights) and NOT the rear fog. If you pull a second time, it turns on the rear fog, turns off the headlight fogs, and turns on the AMG only apron fogs. Normal C-Class's didn't have the lower fogs, which is why that control for them kind of sucks.

Hope this helps
Well as I'm across the pond, things may be a bit different.
I agree the headlight washers work only when the lights are on. However, for the fogs, my apron lights work when I pull once and the rear fog lights up on the second pull notch.
Old 10-26-2010, 06:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1967 Morris Cooper "S", 1983 911SC, 1997 Toyota Tacoma, 1999 HD FXSTB, 1998 C43
Congratulations!

Post some pics when you can
Old 10-26-2010, 07:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
'06 E55 K2
Wow that red C36 is stunning...
Old 10-26-2010, 04:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts
1999 C43, 2008 P30 E63, 2014 SQ5
Originally Posted by DRBC43AMG
Well as I'm across the pond, things may be a bit different.
I agree the headlight washers work only when the lights are on. However, for the fogs, my apron lights work when I pull once and the rear fog lights up on the second pull notch.
appatula and I argued about this in another thread.... C36 and C43 are different, C43's apron fogs come on with single pull because we dont have the headlight fogs. C36 have the headlight fogs but apparently you cannot turn all of your fogs lights on at the same time (i.e. headlight fog, apron fog, rear fog). Hope this helps
Old 10-26-2010, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by 503C43 ////AMG
appatula and I argued about this in another thread.... C36 and C43 are different, C43's apron fogs come on with single pull because we dont have the headlight fogs. C36 have the headlight fogs but apparently you cannot turn all of your fogs lights on at the same time (i.e. headlight fog, apron fog, rear fog). Hope this helps
Well that sucks...all I want to be able to do is turn on the front apron foglights without turning on the rear foglight...ugh.
Old 10-27-2010, 12:22 AM

Just pull the extra cable going to the rear fog in the trunk. There should be an extra one that the passenger side lamp housing doesn't have. That's what LAMF did. It's not like we really need them here in most of the US
Old 10-27-2010, 02:12 AM

2000 C230 Kompressor Sport
Congratulations on your new toy!

Same thing happened to my tranny when I first bought my car. It would not go to 4th gear. Previous owner said it was recently flushed. I brought it to my mechanic and he checked that the fluid was a little short when he measured it. He suggested to flush it again and replace the transmission filter kit and now it works perfectly.
Old 10-27-2010, 05:24 PM

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts
99 c43,90 mustang gt supercharged convertible,07 acura tl type s, Hummer H3t pickup
On that beautiful red C36 there are monoblocks which look like 18's with the amg logo but they cant be a stock rim,as they have rivets on them....Anyone know what model these came off or where I could find them? They look awesome.
Old 10-27-2010, 06:13 PM
Banned

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by 99CEEFOURTHREE
On that beautiful red C36 there are monoblocks which look like 18's with the amg logo but they cant be a stock rim,as they have rivets on them....Anyone know what model these came off or where I could find them? They look awesome.
if I'm not wrong BBS manufactured them.
they are sexy like a hot chick
those rims on that red c36 look wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy better than standard 17 inch AMG rims!
Old 10-27-2010, 06:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 371 Likes on 279 Posts
05 c55 silver, 98 Imperial Red C43
Those are SL73 wheels. Very rare...
Old 10-27-2010, 09:27 PM

Do you know the owner? I was questioning if that was a genuine one or not.

Many AMG replicas use the studded mono block design from what I've seen,
and his front apron has no fogs, and no AMG logo

Either way it's a damn gorgeous car, just wondering.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: I got my hooptie!!~